Chapter Five: Company Comes Knocking

Chapter Five: Company Comes Knocking

A Chapter by Kari

Saber woke early one morning and, as always, stepped out of the lair to increase the poison in the moat.  Looking down the mountain he almost had a heart attack.  There across the valley a dragon was approaching.  Saber charges through the lair and wakes the clan, ordering the females to the nursery to protect the egg and gathers the males around him.  Torch and Ryoch are alert and prepared, each with weapons and grim determination.  Ragnor stumbles up in his old armor…it almost swallows the ancient one as he rattles and clanks into position.  Saber hides a grin, now is not the time for laughter.  The four males made an unbreakable line for the dragon approaching, they hope.

            With a smooth seamless effort the dragon leaped over the ledge and presented herself with a bow.  All four males gaped at her unable to make a sound between them.  Finally it was Ragnor, with his ancient body language and lilting voice that not only calms the visiting dragon, but brings a deep reverence to her demeanor as well.  Torch and Ryoch are put at ease by the females relaxation, however, Saber remains vigilant to any attack she may attempt.  Saber invites the dragon into the great hall where everyone can get a good look at one of the last pure Red Dragons on L‘Arne and the first female one in history.

           

            Lea is nervous but hopeful as she stands next to Ragnor.  Her reception so far had gone better then she expected.  She knew the ancient one was the dragon she sought but formality prevented her just blurting it out.  Being on display however, irritated her and it usually wasn’t a good thing for her to get irritated. 

            “My name is Lea and I have come to you on a matter of great importance.”  The beautiful yet fierce warrior female stated.  She was a four-legged dragon and had several shades of red, from deep burgundy to vibrant crimson, covering her entire body.  Not even a sliver of an accent color anywhere.  Long and lean, yet powerfully built, she was an easy fifteen feet from horns to tip of tail.  Her talons were lethal as was the rack of spikes all down her spinal column and tail.  Lea’s fourth spike was broken off and right beside it the next two spikes in graduating degrees were as well.  With a quick glance Saber could see at least five different scars from deep slashing ones to deadly sword thrusts; all at varying stages of healing.  Lea’s looks were in contrast to her body language.  She moved elegantly, as if she were born to wealth and beauty instead of war and destruction.

            “I have heard of you, while I was at the southern dragon wars two years ago.  You are a warrior of great standing and reputation.”  Ryoch acknowledged her. 

            “I am seeking the ancient one Ragnor. It is said he’s familiar with Red Dragons and may be helpful to me.  I have come in search of a mate to help me renew the Red Dragon line.  I seek strong male half-breeds with red markings and direct lineage dragons, no matter the color.  I am prepared to swear fealty to Prince Saber and his clan in return for this favor.”  Lea bowed again to Saber as she finished speaking.

            The clan sat silent looking to Saber for a reaction.  A Red Dragon swearing fealty to the clan was a serious thing.  No clan had ever had one do so.  Red Dragons had always kept to themselves but as the line winded down they almost became a history lesson rather than a part of current times.  This dragon was one of a kind.  There had never been a female pure Red Dragon, always half-breeds and never as warriors.  The Red Dragon line was almost extinct.  Saber knew his next words would change things in ways he could not imagine.  As head of the Clan and Crown Prince, he needed to make the right decision, here and now.

            “I will need time to talk to my advisers of this.  You may stay; a room will be made ready for you.  In two days time I will have made my decision.”  Saber said.

             “If I have your leave I will camp in the valley below until such fealty is given Highness.”  Lea replied and turned to leave.  Ragnor coughed and nudged Saber.

             “Please stay for the morning meal with us.”  Cherna spoke up, sharing a look with Ragnor. 

            Saber nodded, “Yes, please.”.

           

            A Red Dragon to swear fealty to you and the clan?”  The Queen asked unbelievably.    “They haven’t sworn fealty to individual clans ever.  At the coronation of each new queen, yes, but clans?  It’s unheard of!  A pure female?  Amazing!  I would like to meet her, I think.  You say she is a great warrior?  Yes, I would like to meet this Lea.” the Queen smiled.

            “Yes Mother, I will set it up.  What about this mating thing?  Do we have half-breeds in the castle?  I’ve never seen any.”  Saber asked. 

            “No dear, you will just have to mate her with Torch.”  She dropped the bombshell.

            “Uh, what?”  Saber looked stricken.  “You uh, hmm, okaaaaay…” Saber searched for words.

            “ I can tell by the loss of words you have been told the Great Secret by Ragnor.”  She eased into it. 

            “ How long have you known?  Does Darna know?  Why am I always the last to know these things?”  Saber rattled off the questions.

            “Dear boy, for five hundred years you have been a castle playboy following gossip, intrigue and rumors.  Chasing the maids and drinking with your mates.  Why would we tell you of things that were not part of your world?  History!  That’s what it was, old history, not to be discussed.”  Queen Dana replied.

             Saber looked at his mother, and could not deny her truth.  “Were you disappointed in me, Mother?”  The question came slowly.

            “Never Saber!  You are my son and I have never been disappointed, amused occasionally, but never disappointed.  What else did you have?  You performed your royal duties, meetings, charities and events perfectly. You just never gave up that playboy image until two years ago when you stepped up in a time of great need.  And that tells me I have done well by you.  You are a son to be proud of, Saber.”  The Queen concluded. 

            There was a clatter and bump outside the queens chambers.  Dana nodded at a palace guard and the door opened.  A young page entered with excitement. 

            “Your Majesty, My Lord, we’ve received a message.”  Dana gets messages every day, why the excitement over this one, Saber wondered. 

            “It’s from your Red Dragon, Saber.”  The Queen read.  “It seems she is in the neighborhood and would request an audience with me to renew her fealty.  And she goes on to say her men would swear as well.”  The Queen circled the room as she read coming to a stop at the windows. 

            “Oh my, yes, we do need her men’s fealty as well.”  She said as she studied the valley beyond the moat, Sabers valley.

            Saber came to see what had his mother’s attention.  There in the valley beyond the moat stood over one hundred warrior class dragons with one bright red spot at their helm.

            “Mother, I have never known of an army swearing fealty,  just clan leaders.  The armies always came from the clans and their fealty was understood.”

            “Yes dear, I wonder, are they here to swear fealty or are we under siege?”  Dana questioned.



© 2013 Kari


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

224 Views
Added on October 25, 2013
Last Updated on October 25, 2013
Tags: Dragons, Magic, Drama, Evil, Castle, Love, Fantasy


Author

Kari
Kari

Yerington, NV



About
I am a full time wife and mother of 4 and 3 step children. I am also the proud grandmother of 6 beautiful kids. I didn't come by writing in the normal way. I tinkered with writing as a young adult, .. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Kari