Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Chapter Six: Red Dragon Fealty

Chapter Six: Red Dragon Fealty

A Chapter by Kari

“When is the ceremony?”  Cherna asked.  She still felt uneasy, but then she had no gauge on Royal matters such as this to go by.  Worker dragons are rarely sought out by red dragons.

            “Today, at the castle, we will need the whole clan there, servants included, as witnesses.”  Saber answered her.

            Saber had way too many questions rattling around in his head.  Would Torch agree to become Lea’s mate?  Will Ragnor cause trouble?  Who is Lea, really?  A pure red dragon and her army are about to swear fealty to him~ he never imagined this could happen.  Saber wanted to create a dynasty, not just a clan.  With this move he was well on his way to doing that.

            As Cherna finished tidying up the sleeping area and moved toward the hallway, she glanced at Saber with concern.  Today was a day for the history books and Saber looked weighed down by all of the responsibilities.  He was a strong dragon and together they would see this to the end.  Cherna knew that between the two of them, there were no limits of what they could achieve and now she had proof the Gods smiled on them in sending Lea to them.

            It was time to start the renovation on the mountain across the bridge.  A small cave was nestled at the top of the mountain facing their current lair. Saber thought if Torch agreed to the mating, Saber would move him and Lea into the new section.  He smiled at the thought of already needing to increase the clan’s living space.  The two lairs opposite each other would make a perfect defense for the castle.

            Saber wanted to get one last opinion, even though the decision had already been made and the Fealty Ceremony was a few hours away.  He took a deep breath and entered Ragnor’s private resting space.  Ragnor seemed pleased that Saber was seeking him out in this matter and they had a nice long talk about Red Dragons, as a race.  Ragnor told of character, duty and honor and the fact that Red Dragons have NONE of these attributes.  He warned Saber not to get involved with Lea, that she should NEVER be trusted.  She was a killer and not even a little remorseful or uncomfortable about it.  Saber thanked the ancient one for the information and went back to the main hall.

            Ryoch was sitting at the fire going over the treasury paperwork when Saber came in.  He looked to his father and saw the same weighed down look as Cherna had. 

            “You know, Father,  I am probably the only one that has any specific information about her.“ Ryoch tossed at him. Saber sat next to Ryoch.

            “Spill it kid, I need all the information you can give me.”

            Ryoch smiled, and proceeded to tell Saber about Lea of the dragon wars.  She was invincible, a fury uncontained.  She exploded on the battlefield taking three and four on at the same time.  Her battle cry was horrific, terrifying grown dragons into running away rather than face her.  She was a warrior and as such should be treated as one, not as a lady-in-waiting.

            “Would you trust her?”  Saber asked.  “With Glenna’s secret?”

            Ryoch took a deep breath, giving the questions thought. 

            “Yes, I would, and will.”  Knowing that Glenna’s secret was no threat to Lea and therefore of no notice to her.

            “Thank you Son, you have added good information to my dilemma.”

            As Saber wondered the lair he entered the nursery to check on Ryoch and Glenna’s egg. It really was too sweet.  It was a smallish egg and the prettiest shade of soft pink.  I am going to

be a grandfather, he thought.  It made him smile but also made him think it was time he and Cherna talked about a hatchling of their own.  This one should be breaking free in another two weeks.  He could not wait.

            “Have you spoken to Torch about taking Lea as a mate, yet?”  A soft voice came from the fireplace sitting area.

            “Not yet, I guess you and mother have already spoken.”  Saber replied.

            “Yes, and as his mother, I think it will give Torch direction and purpose”, Darna spoke.     “Darna, what of Ragnor?  Will I need to be prepared for problems?”  Saber asked.

            “Ragnor is fading in and out of dementia, Saber.  There is no way to tell right now, but yes, I would stay prepared if I were you.“  Darna said, honestly.

            “Are you personally o.k. with Lea and Torch being mates?”  Saber asked.

            “Lea would be no lair mate.  She will return to the wars as soon as she laid an egg.  It is who she is.  Torch will be the caretaker of his family and it will suit him well.  Would I have chosen Lea?  No, but there it is, and I cannot change it.”  Darna was soulful.

            Saber thanked Darna for her input and wandered out of the nursery.  His thoughts were beginning to settle and there was only one person left to talk to.  He made his way to Torch’s quarters.

            “Enter,” Torch answered the knock.  “Hello, Saber,” he seemed to be excited.

            “ Getting ready for the ceremony?”  Saber asked 

           

            “Yes, I am eager and excited.  A little nervous too.”  He replied.  “I have never been to any of the castle events before.” 

            “Well, maybe we will have you in one of them soon,” Saber beat around the bush.  “Oh, crap, I am just gonna ask... Torch would you consider-----.”  

            “Mating with Lea?”  Torch finished for him.  “Just mating or becoming life-mates?”

            Saber knew Torch was no half-wit, this simply proved it. 

            “Which would you prefer?”  Saber asked.

            “Life-mates,” Torch stated.

            “Well let’s see what we can do, o.k.”  Saber and Torch nodded together.

           

            The fealty ceremony went off without a hitch, and the army returned to the valley.  Lea joined the clan in the lair.  A room was made ready for her in the back .  Torch offered to show her the expanse of the lair and together they left the great hall.  Torch sent a look to Saber as they left.  Good, Torch was wasting no time with Lea.  They would be mated by the end of the week.

            Cherna liked the soft smile on Sabers face.  It meant his mind was at ease, and his worries had left.

            “I have something for you.” Cherna said in a playful voice. “Come with me,” She said over her shoulders, as she left the great hall.  Saber followed, and wondered what it was, as they entered the nursery.  Cherna moved aside, and there in the middle of the room was an enormous egg, about the size of a young boar.  Saber’s mouth opened, but no sound came out.

            “Do you like it?”  Cherna asked.  Saber could only nod and smile.  They were starting a family.              



© 2013 Kari


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

196 Views
Added on October 25, 2013
Last Updated on October 25, 2013
Tags: Dragons, Magic, Drama, Evil, Castle, Love, Fantasy


Author

Kari
Kari

Yerington, NV



About
I am a full time wife and mother of 4 and 3 step children. I am also the proud grandmother of 6 beautiful kids. I didn't come by writing in the normal way. I tinkered with writing as a young adult, .. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Kari