Chapter Two: The Mate

Chapter Two: The Mate

A Chapter by Kari

Like most males, Saber has his ideal mate all mapped out in his head.  Unlike most males, beauty and sweetness aren’t even on the grid, he has no use for them.  Love and affection aren’t there either.   Saber has plans to build a dynasty not just a clan and for that he will need a mate with the same goals as he has.  Saber wants a mate like himself.  Self reliant, ambitious, strong and healthy, a large dragon to be able to breed large hatchlings. Much to his mother Dana’s remorse, Saber isn’t looking for a lady-in-waiting, rather a female in charge.

            It’s been three long, exhausting months of mind numbing conversation with every simpering, vacuous female in the central clans of L’Arne.  If he had to sit through one more dinner, event or gathering just so the nearest beauty  could be offered up by her clan, Saber knew he‘d go nuts.  The royal prince searching the realm for his bride was big news and every female of good family within breeding age was on display. 

            The Forrest Clans had brought out no less than seven, count ‘em seven!, females each more lovely then the other and one or two had even had minor “special abilities” however that didn’t compensate for their lack of confidence and intelligence, not to mention how delicate as a group they were.  Forrest Dragon females are known for their petite waifish looks.  They also are difficult breeders due to their size.  No, Saber wouldn’t choose from that clan.

            The Duck-bills and Chicken Clans hadn’t even been on his agenda due to the complete size disparity, but he had received a message from his mother that to completely over look them would have caused a political nightmare.  Looking back on the dinner festivities at the Duck-bills almost caused Saber to careen from the sky he was laughing so hard.  Of course those thoughts brought on the next nights dinner at the Chicken Clans roost and he decided he really needed to land before he fell into the trees clutching his stomach for the pains of his uncontrollable laughter.

            The Healer Clan brought out their lone female of mating age that was available and Saber truly felt a pang of discomfort for the poor thing as he thanked them and left ~ but it accounted to nothing compared to the horror of his possible offspring with that horned demon from X’phis they called a female.  Just remembering her made him shudder all over.  Surely they had known that if her own clan had not offered for her after six hundred years, there was no way he would either.

            Saber hadn’t bothered with the Elemental Clan due to their strict laws on mating.  Occasionally their females are allowed to mate outside of their clan but the one and only qualifier is that the male have a comparable magical ability…and that left out Saber.  His royal status wasn’t a free pass on the Elementals millenniums’ long traditions and actually he was able to breathe a sigh of relief over that.  Saber had never trusted true magic (with the exception of Alred, the castle wizard) and he didn’t think he could make an allowance for his mate either.  Nope better to just move on and look somewhere else.

            As the seasons changed from Spring to Summer and the urge for sweet relaxing naps on toasty rocks and crags snuck up on him, Saber had banked southeast towards the Sky Clans.  They lived high in the cliffs over the ocean and guarded royal territories for the crown.  Saber was met with a lavish display of grace and beauty to rival any males fantasies.  Due to their constant flying vigil and hunting duties the five females introduced to Saber were all lean, toned and proud in their mannerisms.  They were assertive, companionable, and even a few had the sparkle of humor in their eyes.  Actually on closer inspection, all five seemed to be hiding some humorous thought to themselves.  Finally, after several days visit, Saber overheard a servant gossiping and learned that the Sky Clans females are their warriors and breed only to increase the clans population when necessary.  They routinely keep only female company and are accepted clan wide to contract love matches between themselves.  Obviously Saber would have to move on, no matter how appealing a mate from the Sky Clan would be. 

            The cliffs and forests gave way quickly to the vast sandy deserts North of the Water Clans.  Saber recalled his short break along the dunes and oasis’s.  No one to bother him, lazy days in the sun, crisp fresh water and the occasional rodent to snack on.  In fact, the only complaint Saber had was the lack of a full stomach, until the nomads arrived.  Several dragons intruded on his vacation on the third day while Saber was away from the oasis.  These were dragons the like of which Saber had never seen or heard of before.  Out of the dozen or so, many had what appeared to be Water Clans characteristics, but there was so much more as well.  These were land dwellers, air breathers and flight capable.  However they also had a wide variety of evolutionary oddities as well.  Saber had decided to give them a wide berth.

            Sabers final stop had been to the Mariana Clans.  Centuries ago the Water and the Mariana Clans had been one.  Evolution had spread quickly and the Mariana’s had developed.  They are land dwellers, or at least have the capability of being so, that prefer to live along the southern shores and live off of what can be had from the ocean.  Many still retain their large tails for swimming and occasionally their water breathing abilities, however, their main changes are their legs, arms and claws.  Many Marianas also have horns like all the other clans in L’Arne.  Saber hadn’t been too eager to search from the females available here, but he had decided to try, for his mothers political agenda.  Looking back, Saber wondered what was going on in the southern regions.  When he had arrived, there had been no sign of any occupation along the shoreline.  There had been extensive docks and towering spires built upon the water, yet not a single dragon could be found.  It was a veritable ghost village, neat and organized, yet abandoned just the same.  Saber was good at figuring out mysteries, he’d ponder on this one and see what he could find.

           

                        Tonight there is a gathering at the castle.  His Mother had already made him promise to be there and be prepared to meet several “eligible” females from the northern clans.  Eligible, for her or for me?  Does she even have a copy of my list of “must haves”?  Probably, she just doesn’t care, and figures if she pushes enough “eligible” females at me, I will eventually pick one or go crazy.  Saber’s internal tirade continued.

            There was no way around it.  He was going to go off radar, somehow.  Every clan of substance throughout the realm knew he was searching for a mate.  That would be fine if any of them, just one or two would fall into his plan, but no.  The prince needs a beauty, a sweet young thing to keep his lair running smoothly, while she breeds a hatchling or two over the next five hundred years or so.  I’m really going to go crazy and tonight would be a good night, if I only had that pleasure.  No, I’ll do my princely duty and make an appearance, look over the females offered and then go get happily drunk with Ragnor. Saber concluded.  Ragnor knew about stealth, hiding out and generally keeping a low profile.  Ragnor could help him he was sure and besides Saber hadn’t slept in his own lair since the night of the party three months ago.  It was time to check in then see to his duties at the lair and rest a bit before going off searching again.

      

       Cave-Dwellers, as a norm, are one of the fiercest clans on L’Arne.  Given to treachery and cunning, they rival even the Berzerker Clan in kills during war.  Known for their tri-folded wingspans and their double row of fangs along with their vast array of horns and lethal claws, they are sought after as mercenaries during any conflict that arises.  With all this in mind, Saber didn’t know if he should cringe at the sight of the Cave-Dweller’s eligible females or not.  Without a doubt he knew any one of them could easily kick his a*s.

            The Berzerker Clan’s debutants were all strong and healthy.  Lush and ripe for breeding, their female assets promised lusty nights followed by morning trips to the Healers Clan for antivenin and the periodical setting of broken limbs, stitched up scales and claw removal.  Berzerker females were wild and crazy, no really, crazy. 

            Saber finally came to the Swamp Dragons female selects.  Truly the Swamp Dragon females have earned the claim to the most beautiful in all of L’Arne.  Each and every one of the five chosen(and all Swamp Dragons as a clan) were solid black with deep jade green wings.  Their heights and sizes varied from petit to almost warrior class but all were voluptuous and sensual. Their conversation was charming and intelligent, keeping Sabers attention as Dana smiled, watching on. 

            Dana could see where the evening was going and decided to send the others home.  With a nod to Ryan, Captain of Arms, Dana watched as Saber step up the stairway to the private areas to get a break.  It looked as if one of these Swamp beauties would be her new daughter and help breed the next Queen.  Ryan and Dana smiled to each other conspiratorially.

            Saber gasped and drug air into his lungs.  I gotta get outta here…she’s gonna have me mated before the night is over! Sure, that Thaxia is wonderful, and yeah she’s been the best I’ve seen in three months but I need a little time to decide…and I wanted to go out and search for myself, not just the females the clans deemed appropriate.  Maybe, just maybe, there’s someone for me that isn’t what my mother feels is acceptable!  With that thought and with not even Ryan any the wiser, Saber took flight from the window and bailed out on his mothers’ party.  It was time to get drunk with Ragnor. 

                       

             What the X‘phis?  Why tonight, when I’m pulling double duty?  Wow, that’s some seriously BAD singing.  Obnoxious royal asses getting drunk again.  Cherna thought.  Ever since she contracted to work this job site it’s been one thing after another.  Poisoned river, chopping and stacking a forest for some old guy--- she’d had to fire one of her workers for getting caught in their treasure room.  He said he was looking for stress in the walls but he was fired anyways just to keep the old guy happy.  Then, just when they put the finishing touches on the lair, the castle manager came looking for the boss and when he found her, she thought he would piss himself.  Anyways, the castle wanted a new bridge over their poisoned moat and that had six more months of work for her crew so she couldn’t turn it down.  Her second in charge, Max, drew up the contract and took care of the customer.  He always took care of the customer; she didn’t want to deal with rich folks or royalty.  They always had expectations and she never fit them.  Max was good with the customers, he got them that plush job at that lair, didn’t he? 

            Speaking of plush, that guy really knew how to trick out a lair.  She has never been in one like it in her life and never heard of one either.  It was like an extension of the Castle with ballrooms and crap.... in a lair.... must be nice to have all that money.  She heard the old guy was really famous and was going to die soon.  Too bad, well at least his final days would be sweet.  What is it with this guy and who told him he could sing?  Someone lied to him when they said he had a good voice.  He sucks big time! She continued.  There he was.  Didn’t he know it was dangerous walking around a construction zone? 

            “Hey!  Grab that guy and toss him off my work site!”  Cherna yelled at one of her guys.  The pretty “lord of the manor” stopped dead in the water and looked at her speechless.  I get that a lot, it’s annoying.

             “Get him out outta here!” she was getting pissed off the way he was staring at her.

             “Wi-hic- you be m-hic- leaf-mod?” he finally found words.   Cherna was stunned and then she let out a boom of a laugh you could hear all the way to the Castle. 

            “I a-hic-  the Cr-hic-n Pinch and I wa-hic- ooo, we-hic-sh ooo,  fer my ve-hic-ree own lee-hic-f-bait,” he slurred every other word. 

            Cherna shook her head. “Yeah and I’m a ballerina. Hey!  Get him outta here!”  She motioned to the two dragons pulling security detail for the night shift.

            The guys hauled him up and half carried him off the work site on the castle side.  They handed him off to a castle servant.  Cherna could have sworn she heard the servant say my lord.  Huh, guy must be heavier than I thought.  Well, her shift was almost over and she was getting tired.  They were coming right along with the project. It was going to be a real good recommendation for my crew.  SWEET!....

 

            Saber woke to a pounding headache and the nastiest taste in his mouth.  He sat up too fast and moaned into the pillow.  Dizzy spins had him running to the chamber pot to empty his stomach.  He crawled back to the bed and collapsed  to sleep a few more hours…

            What happened, where’d she go?  No! no! no! This is not happening!  He’d found her, he’d asked her to be his mate.  She was the most beautiful dragon he’d ever seen.  She was perfect, she fit his list perfect, and she was beautiful.  She was in charge, but of what?  His woman in charge.  Where am I?  The castle.  The last thing he remembered besides his princess, was Ragnor pushing him outside to go pee in the moat, the poison needed updating.  There was scaffolding, yeah, what’s scaffolding?  Oh jeez, my head hurts.  The final thought as he passed back out was.... she wore my colors, it was meant to be.

 

            “Oh crap, this is seriously going to piss her off.”  Max mumbled under his breath as the small group approached the work site.  Was that a crown on her head?  No way, that is so, not, the Queen.  No way! Cherna is gonna Wig. Out. Oh man, why me, why now?  Max rambled his thoughts through his head trying to find the courage to greet Saber and his entourage.

            “Where is she?”  The big blue guy hollered. 

            “Max, where is she? You will see Mother, she’s real and she is going to be my mate so you better get used to it.  She’s real! I’m telling you! Max where is she?  She’s beautiful, she wears my colors and she‘s in charge.”  Saber demanded.

            “ Uh--colors?  In charge?  Beautiful, huh?  Oh ma-a-a-an.” Max groaned.  Did he just call the Queen, Mother?  He wondered. 

            “Listen up, Saber, we really appreciate your contracts but it’s not safe down here, you guys… uh sorry, ma’am… uh, your Highness, but you really gotta go... now!”

            “WHAT…IS…GOING…ON!?!”  A voice echoed across the job site and every worker on duty stopped to watch the show.  It was gonna be a good one and Max looked like dead meat.  Several dragons stopped what they were doing and started taking bets on Max’s odds of survival.  As the whistles and snickers started up a beam shifted, fell away and arced at the perfect angle.

            “LOOK OUT!”  The voice echoed again. 

            The next moment, Saber was flying through the air and landing face down in the muck.  He heard his mother scream his name so he tried to say he was o.k. but he couldn’t get up.  There was... something huge…on top of him. He quickly realized it was a dragon.  Wow, one ENORMOUS dragon, big enough to take him out and that was saying something!  He couldn’t breathe but the dragon was getting up... maybe the big guy had a sister?  Saber was filthy but alive.  As he looked up from the ground to thank the big guy, his mouth fell open and words would not come out. 

            At twelve feet two inches, the beautiful iridescent purple dragon towered over Saber’s own height.  Her scales were smooth as if worn soft by years of water flow.  Her face was proportionate to her size but there were no horns on her head.  Her eyes were large and a deep sapphire blue.  The beauty’s wingspan looked to be almost eighteen feet wide and she had aqua green and dark blue woven through them.  Her tail looked to outweigh most normal sized females while her arms and legs bulged with unbelievably massive muscles.  Saber was enjoying the view but realized that if her demeanor became any more threatening, he was going to have some major explaining to do to his mother.

            “What the X‘phis? It’s you!  You got a problem with me, pretty boy?”  She glared.  “What?  Last night wasn’t enough fun for you so you had to bring an audience today?”  

            Just then, Cherna saw the crown and choked. 

            “Your Highness, I’m so sorry” She said executing a perfect bow. 

            “Yes, dear.” The Queen whispered as she looked at Saber on the ground.  Her son was alive thanks to this worker dragon therefore a few words were not going to matter.

            “Uh, Cherna, they came looking for....”, Max mumbled into the silence. 

            “You! I came looking for you!”  Saber finally got out.  Looking up at her from the mud Saber looked pleased and Cherna started to flare up again.

            “Will you be my life mate?”  Saber asked as fast as he could get it out.

            Cherna heard the queen gasp and wickedly Cherna smiled figuring it would serve him right. 

            “Yes, I will…Right Now!!”  Cherna couldn’t hide the smirk…he was in trouble now.

            "Done!” Saber said.  “You heard it Mother, she said yes.  You officiated it. We’re mated.”

            “Whoa, whoa, whoa.....I just want you off my work site...” Cherna said trying to ease back away from the fiasco this was becoming. 

            “Yes, dear, we will be off in just a moment,” The queen smiled at her.  “But you’re going to be coming with me.  After all, you are my new daughter and there are duties to perform after a Royal Mating.”

            “A Royal Mating?”  She looked from mother to son, to mother again.  “What's going on?  This guy?  Pretty Boy?  He’s probably drunk again, we can all just...”

             “No dear, this is real.  You just accepted my son’s proposal, in front of witnesses ---which is all that is necessary --- but you also did it in front of the Royal Party which I witnessed.  You are now mated to my son and are now considered the Royal Princess.  Please, dear, sit down, you’re towering over me and it hurts my neck.” The Queen broke in.

            Cherna plopped in the muck splashing a new round of mud and grime all over herself and Saber.  Saber propped up in it beside her with a grin from ear to ear…(kinda creepy, dragons shouldn’t grin).

                       

            Three days passed before Cherna saw Saber again.  This is some strange mating, when we haven’t even consummated the deal.  Deal, yeah that’s a good word to describe it.  Cherna had signed decree after decree, fancy words to explain she had just walked into a fairy tale.          I am mated**giggle**to the Prince**snort** he is my mate**gasp!** she just kept repeating it in her head and maybe it would be real.  Queen Dana said it was real, so it must be.  But where is Saber?  She didn’t ask anyone, because she didn’t want to sound whiny.  For all she knew, this was how they did things, when you were royalty.  I am a princess**choke**mate to the prince**giggle** this is real**gasp!**, a-a-a-andCherna lost it!  Saber walked into the room as Cherna fell to the floor, making the windows rattle, laughing her a*s off. 

            She had been bathed, polished and buffed.  She’d had lessons on posture by walking with books on her head and the correct way to waive to large crowds.   Her table manners had been inspected and teaching her to curtsy had been thrown out the window…all this…but Saber just noticed her laughter.  It was infections.  She fairly glowed, the way her scales morphed through every shade of purple imaginable.  Cherna had almost caught her breath when she saw him standing there, which , of course, sent her into another peal of laughter.  If this kept up, she was going to pee herself!  That thought sent her off again and Saber finally realized she really needed some help. 

             “Breath slow, come on, take another, there you go, it’s o.k.  You can lose it all you want when we get home. Come on baby, breath slowly.” He came up close and said.

            “Home?” Cherna finally choked out.  “I thought you lived here.  We don’t live in a castle?  I’m so glad, it makes it all...I dunno, more weird then it really is, ya know?” 

            “Yeah, sometimes the castle can be very weird.  But they are just regular dragons like you and me…except for the ceremonies, parties, and well, yeah, everything else.  Let me show you our home.  Actually you have already seen it, in fact you helped build it and that is so cool!”  He seemed pleased.

            “The lair?  Oh no, really?  Oh no!” Cherna shook her head.

            “What?  What do you mean, oh no?”  Saber was almost shocked. 

            “A ballroom?  In a lair?  Come on!  Seriously, a ballroom?”  Cherna asked.

            Saber smiled and nudged Cherna with his shoulder. 

            “You don’t like to dance?”  He asked.  The look on her face was horror mixed with disbelief.  It was too funny!  Saber started laughing too.

             “It’s not a ballroom, it’s a great hall where I can meet with dignitaries and we can have company without being crowded.  Satisfied?  Good, now let’s go see it.  I can’t wait to introduce you to everyone.”  Saber said.

            Cherna didn’t lose it after all, in fact, she felt a weight lift off of her shoulders and sighed.  Darna, Ragnor and Torch were normal, everyday dragons.  Meeting Ragnor was amazing.  She was so happy she let her guard down and by the end of the evening she was just part of the family.  Cherna had always been a loner due to her size and strength. Dragons walked the other way when they saw her coming.  She was probably one of the largest dragons in the Realm.  Cherna didn’t have an ounce of fat on her, it was all huge, bulging muscles. But Darna put her at ease.  Soon she was sharing stories and laughing with everyone else.  Not once did she think about being mated until the end of the evening when Ragnor said he was ready for bed. 

            Cherna looked at Saber, and he smiled at her.  She had already seen his space and knew it was time.  Her nerves were fine and as they got up she smiled back.  Maybe this was going to be okay after all, she thought.



© 2013 Kari


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

308 Views
Added on October 25, 2013
Last Updated on October 25, 2013
Tags: Dragons, Magic, Drama, Evil, Castle, Love, Fantasy


Author

Kari
Kari

Yerington, NV



About
I am a full time wife and mother of 4 and 3 step children. I am also the proud grandmother of 6 beautiful kids. I didn't come by writing in the normal way. I tinkered with writing as a young adult, .. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Kari