Chapter Twenty: Red Dragon Rage

Chapter Twenty: Red Dragon Rage

A Chapter by Kari

There is something coming and we may need to work together, magic and muscle and brains, to overcome it.”  Alred told the group assembled.  “From what I can tell there are three very different element’s all converging on the Castle and Clan Saber.  These three events may change Clan Saber and the Royalty forever.”  Alred tried to explain it as best as he could.  Saber, Cherna, Ryoch, Bella, Link and Leona sat listening to Alred’s predictions.

            “What are these three things?”  Saber spoke up, as Clan Leader, it was up to him to protect the clan as best he can.

            “There is something evil with strong ties to Clan Saber.  This evil has been at the edges of daily life for a long while now, but it will coil around Clan Saber like a snake very soon.”  Alred said.

            “Do you know what this evil is?  How do we recognize it?”  Ryoch asked.  “My family has had its share of evil coming from Cord.  We are still recovering from it.  When must we face this evil?”  Ryoch asked warily.

            “The evil comes fast, it will be here very soon.  You will not have time to face it physically.  It will stalk in and out much too quickly, but it will return later to be faced and destroyed.”  Alred said.  “You will recognize it, as it is a part of all of us in Clan Saber.  That’s all I know about this evil.”

            “Bella do you have anything to add?”  Ryoch asked his daughter.

            “I’ve been having nightmares that involve all of us yearlings.  There is always something on the fringe, shadowed that means to harm.  There is a thick veil of rage coming from it.  It is meant to destroy, but I don’t know what or when.”  Bella said.

            “Okay,” Saber said.  “How do we fight it?”

            “This first time we don’t, it sweeps in too fast and leaves just as quickly, leaving its mark on us.”  Alred replied.

            “The second event is split, half joyous half heartbreak.  It will come on the heels of the evil’s escape.  We will recover quickly, and then go on with life.  The joyous will spread to all of us, yet so will the heartbreak.  We will overcome it, but again it will leave a mark.”  Alred said.  “And before we get used to it, we will be overcome again by something wondrous.”  He finished.

            “Leona have any outsiders entered the valley or the Castle?”  Saber asked.

            “No Father, I have a barrier that only clan members can come through.  There have been no attempts to pass through.”  Leona said.

            Saber exhaled heavily from holding his breath. “With Leona on watch so to speak, everyone was safe.  An alarm would go out if the barrier was breached.”

            “Link can you conjure a veil over both the lair with its valley and the Castle?  Make it invisible to strangers?”  Saber asked of his son.

            “Yeah that would be easy...done.  Anything else?”  Link asked.

            “You are just as amazing as your sister.  You humble me, Link.”  Saber said with a quiet voice.  Link nodded at his father, accepting the compliment, but still wanted to be more involved.

            “Ryoch when does the Season end?  We’re passed the audiences with the Queen, aren’t we?”  Saber asked.  “What happened with the Chicken?”

            “She was sentenced to life in the prison.  She will remain in the Castle dungeon for a full 10 years, then her case will be reviewed, and if she has rehabilitated, she can be paroled to her clan, never to leave their lands again.”  Ryoch said.  “That last bit was all Bella’s, the rehabilitation and exiled part.  It is genius and the Clan Leaders that were present approved of it one hundred percent .”  Ryoch finished.

            Bella smiled at her father, and sat up straighter.

            “You are going to be a very good  Queen, Bella.”  Saber said.  “And the Seasons?”  Saber asked again.

            “We are midway through as you can tell.  There have been no surprises yet, and Bella plays the hostess like she was meant to be.  I do need to hire a chaperone though.  Bella’s schedule is too full for me to keep up, and still my own duties are slacking.  Any suggestions?”

            “Yes actually, I have an extra care giver at the lair.  She was brought on to smooth Paolo and Marta’s change of life when they needed her, but now the two spend all their time here at the Castle and Tana has nothing to do.”  Saber suggested.

            “That’s perfect Father,” Ryoch thanked him.

            “Send her over before nightfall, and let her meet Glenna.”  He finished.

            “Now about this next piece of the puzzle”, Alred brought the group back to his predictions.

            “We have made a mark on L’Arne, magically, and it has been noticed by the Elementals.”  Alred said quietly.  The room went silent as this information settled in.

            “O.K., so what is the Elementals?”  Link asked out loud, breaking the silence.

            “I am a little clueless also.”  Bella said.  “Why would this be a bad thing?  You Elders all seemed to tense up at the very name.  What’s going on?”  Asked the Queen.

            “It’s a clan based in the Southern Mountain Range, just beyond the Castle.  It is a race of magic and is the sole provider of all magic to the Realm.  They are also the one to punish if magic is used with a crime.  Instead of the clans bringing their grievances to Bella the Queen, they are taken to the Elementals instead.”  Leona spoke quietly.  Her head bowed, avoiding eye contact with anyone.  She knew she was the cause of the Elementals interest.  Everyone looked at her waiting for her to say more.

            “What?”  She asked.  “Yes it’s my fault, and I can’t take it back, so what is going to happen to me, Alred?”  Leona asked.

            “At this time they are only interested in answers to their questions, and getting to understand your power, Leona.”  Said Alred. “There is no malice involved”, he added.

            “So these Elementals just want to understand, huh?”  Link said.  “I don’t think that’s all, is it Alred?”

            “They also bring a guest to visit at the Castle, but that is important for the Castle, and it’s Royal Family.  The Elemental coming is their strongest, and he does not usually leave Elemental Territory.  He is not a diplomat, but rather their highest sorcerer.  He comes seeking knowledge, He is quite possibly the most powerful dragon in the Realm, and he wants to know Leona and Link.  To assess you on his own.”  Alred finished.

            “He is coming to take our power, isn’t he Alred?”  Leona asked.

            “Honestly Leona, I don’t think he can, and that makes him very unhappy.  He is used to getting what he wants, and the two of you are next on his list.”

            `”Whoa-----back up.”  Saber interrupted.  “No one is harming my Leona and Link.  There will be no magic stealing or anything like it, or I will kick his sparkly a*s right into the poisoned moat, then send him home empty handed.”  Saber growled.

            “I’m sure it will be a cordial meeting with information, and magic being shared by everyone.”  Alred calmed Saber down.

            “Don’t worry babe.”  Cherna stepped in, “I am all over this one.  These are my hatchlings as well, and playing as a chaperone would go over with a female playing the part, rather than an enraged father.  Besides I am the muscle, remember?”  Cherna teased Saber.      

            “Who is this visitor to the Castle?”  Ryoch asked warily.

            “A female to see the Queen.”  Alred said quickly.

            “And what else Alred?”  Ryoch caught the half truth, and demanded the whole truth.

            “This female has lived 500 years in exile, and will request a pardon from the Queen.  That’s all I have, because it is blocked by magic.  I, like you, suspect there is more, but that’s all I can get.”  Alred gave up the rest.

            “Well this is all very good to know, but what about the final event?”  Bella asked.

            “Clan Saber will come together to celebrate the reunion of all the family, together finally.”  Alred added with a smile.

            “My girls are back?  How soon?  I want to tell Glenna, she will be so happy.”  Ryoch gushed.

            “This is the last event.  We must make it through the first and second, before your family and clan are complete again.”  Alred cautioned Ryoch.

            “Right, but give me a time, when Alred?”  Ryoch demanded.

            I cannot say Ryoch, the future is ever changing, and there is too much going on between now and then.  Just be secure in the knowledge that they are coming, even as we speak.”  Alred said.  The group dispersed to process all the info at their own paces. 

            Alred sat in the dark, and watched the first evil occur.

 

            It had been too long since she had felt at peace.  Two long years of battles and war had her yearning for home, and the family waiting for her.  She received a message that the hatchlings were born, and Torch was concerned that she had not been there.  Well she had been busy trying to save her a*s at the time.  Then one day she had taken a breath of clean fresh air, not air full of blood sweat and filth.  It reminded her of home and with her army; she set out for the Castle and Lair.

            She knew her hatchlings were grown by now, but Torch and she could start again, and this time she would stay and help raise them.  Lea was eager for a family and now with Marta’s help she could begin to revive the Red Dragon race.  There were ten half-breeds among her men.  Some with just a touch of red, and others almost pure red.  These ten, Marta could choose from, and as more females were hatched, the race could grow.  It would be a slow process, but it would work.

            The trek was an easy one, as they started so close to home.  A few days and Lea could see the Castle in the distance.  She had her army camp in the forest, so not to alarm the clan, like last time.        Lea flew in and landed at the base of the mountain.  She climbed it quickly, and went straight to Torch’s rooms, the rooms were different.  A female lives here now, her scent was on everything.  Lea’s reaction was jealousy, a new one for her.  She stalked to the nursery, and there she found Darna.

            “Where is everyone?”  Lea asked her.

            “Lea!  You’re home!  Oh thank the Gods!”  Darna ran to her, and gave her a big hug.  Lea was a little caught off guard, by the hug, and returned it automatically.  She set Darna back and asked again.  “Where is everyone?”

            “There was a big clan meeting at the Castle, I stayed here to watch Marta and Paolo if they returned.”  Darna said.  “Those two love the Castle and go to play and visit their friends, almost every day.”  Darna explained.

            “So I could find them there?”  Lea asked.  “I won’t interrupt the meeting, but I really want to see Paolo and Marta.”  Lea said.

            “Go, go----you’ll find them through the servant’s entrance, at the back of the Castle.  Do you want me to go along to show you?”  Darna offered.

            “No thank you, Darna.  I also want to thank you for seeing to them these long years.”  Lea said, as she left.

            “O.K., but there was a ------” Darna trailed off as Lea was already gone.  Lea home finally, maybe Torch was also.  Darna missed her son very much, and was eager to have him home to watch his family prosper and grow.

            Lea flew to the servant’s entrance rather then walk.  She was just too anxious to see her yearlings.  The Seasons were in full swing, so Lea wanted to avoid the dragons partying completely.

            “Hello?”  Lea called out.  “Is anyone here?”  She said towards the kitchen.  A large female came to the doorway, and dropped the dish she had been drying.  The crash was loud enough, that several servants came out of the kitchen to see what happened.

            “I’m trying to find my-----”, Lea was cut off by a pretty female with yellow and pale green accents.

            “Are you Lea?”  The pretty one asked.

            “Yes do you know where Paolo and Marta are?”  Lea asked.

            “Well Paolo is usually in the men’s quarters across the way, there right behind you.  Yes that one.”  She pointed as Lea saw the building.

            “And Marta?”  Lea asked.

            “Marta is always at the nursery in the servant’s quarters.  It isn’t used as a nursery anymore, so it gives Marta privacy.”  The pretty one replied.

            “Thank you, I will go find Paolo first.”  Lea walked back out the door, and headed for the men’s bunkhouse, as she got closer, she heard singing.  Bad singing.

            Lea knocked on the door, and it was opened, by a very drunk young squire.  When she said Paolo’s name, the young male pointed to closed door.

            “I wouldn’t go in there if I were you.  He doesn’t like to be interrupted, if you know what I mean.”  The squire said with a slur.  Lea’s hackles rose as the squires implication set in. “Why what’s going on?”  Lea picked the squire up by his throat.  The squire tried to talk, but only a squeak came out.  Lea set the young male down.

            “Do you know who I am?  Lea questioned.

            “You’re the last Pure Red Dragon, well except for Marta.”  The squire said, still chocking from Lea’s grip.

            “Right and I am also Paolo’s mother.”  Lea said.  “What’s going on in there?”  Lea demanded.

            “He’s drunk and when he gets drunk he likes to be-----”, the squire mumbled something Lea couldn’t hear.

            “What?”  She asked as she reached for the squire again.

            “He likes it rough.”  The youngster spilled it out in a rush.

            Lea’s red deepened to an almost blood red color.  Her whole body tightened up as the shaking started.  Her eyes changed, narrowed and glowing in her face.  Lea arched her back and with one motion her wings opened and her spikes rippled down her spine.  Her claws snapped out, and Lea was ready for battle.

            With one fast move, Lea kicked the door open.  There on the pelts was a brown dragon with red wings.  He was totally smashed.  The room reeked of stale beer and sex.  The brown dragon was on his stomach, clawing at the floor.  Behind him, using him, stood a large warrior.  Just as Lea stepped through the door, Paolo yelled out, “What did I say?  NO INTERRUPTIONS!!!  Paolo yelled while the warrior kept going.

             A growl came from deep inside Lea, as she took in the sight of her son, obviously enjoying the whole scenario.  One-step closer, rip the warrior’s throat out, and as Paolo started to complain again, Lea dug her claws into his back, and lifted him upright.  Paolo’s eyes opened wide, but he was just too drunk to be cautions.

            “What the X’phis?”  Can’t you see I’m busy?”  He asked, not recognizing Lea as his mother.

            Lea looked him up and down, he was fat, sloppy and drunk.  He smelled of sex and stale beer it seeped out of his pores.  He hiccupped and burped at the same time, blowing fetid air into Lea’s face. That was the last straw.  Holding him by one arm, she snapped it like a twig.  Paolo screamed in agony.

            “Do you know who I am, you filthy piece of dung?  Lea asked, softly.

            “Yeah”, he cried.  “You're a Red Dragon like me, except I’m only half Red Dragon, you must be full, like Marta.”  He finished, cradling his broken arm.

            “You are no use to me, a half-bred male that enjoys mating with other male dragons.  A stinking drunk filthy with your own excrement and only the God’s know what else.  Tell me why should I let you live?”  Lea demanded.

            “Because I am the son of a great warrior, and I am an important dragon.”  Paolo slurred.

            “You sicken me.  You bring shame to your race.  I will suffer you no longer.”  Lea said as she quickly snapped Paolo’s neck.  He died with a look of surprise on his face.  Lea tossed his body back on the pelts and turned away to leave.  She had no worries about being seen leaving the bunkhouse.  Lea’s rage was so strong, she didn’t care if anyone saw her, as she entered the kitchen again and started up the spiral staircase.  At the top, a large nursery was closed up and draped with sheets.  In the back, in the front of the fire place laid Marta on several pelts.  She was counting her treasure.  Gold coins, jewels, a gold dagger, a pearl necklace and more all spilling from a small casket.  She quickly put it away, when she heard footsteps. 

             “You’re early Milord, are you eager for my body?”  Marta asked without turning around.

            “Did you earn all your treasure this way?  Whoring for it?”  Lea asked trembling with fury.

            “Oh I’m sorry; I thought you were someone else.”  Marta said.

            Lea stuck to the shadows so Marta could not quite make out who she was.

            “Are you happy being a w***e?”  Lea asked.

            “I’m good at it, and it pays well, as you saw.”

            “How long have you been a w***e?”  Lea asked quietly.

            Almost a year now, why do you ask such questions?  I have no interest in a female client right now.  My schedule is full during the season.”  Marta explained.

            “Oh I’m not here for sex, I am here for you.”  Lea lunged out, snatched Marta to her feet, as Lea stepped out of the shadows, Marta got her first look at her mother.

            Lea dropped Marta’s arm, disgusted with the whole day.

            “Hello Mother.”  Marta surprised Lea.  “It’s about time you showed up, don’t you think?”  Marta mocked Lea.

            The crack of a slap ripped through the silence.  Marta fell to the floor, and held her face, she could feel the burn.

             Lea slowly unrolled the whip that she always wore around her waist.  When she held it in her hand, it coiled on the floor like a snake.  Looking at Marta, Lea saw that Marta was trembling with fear.  Good!  Lea thought.  She should be scared.

            The whip cracked the air, and snapped at Marta.  A small slice ripped from Marta’s cheek sent her into new cries.  Again the whip cracked and Marta’s other cheek was torn.  Marta turned to run away and felt the whip snap her back.  A long slice of flesh this time had Marta down on her knees.  Her sobs had turned to screams, and the whip cracked again across Marta’s back.  Again it fell-----crack!, and Marta screamed so loud the kitchen servants stopped what they were doing to listen closer.  The pretty yellow and green dragon cried softly in a corner.

            Crack!  Again and again the whip sliced Marta’s back, flanks and legs.  Finally Marta fainted from the pain.  Unconscious Marta felt nothing, and it was a good thing, because the whip did not stop.  Lea kept count as she whipped the unconscious female, when she reached 100, the whip fell silent.  Lea approached Marta, and checked for signs of life.  With a small rise and fall of her chest, Marta confirmed she still lived, barely.

            Lea picked her up and slung her over her shoulder.  Down the spiral stairs and into the kitchen.  Lea spied the pretty dragon again.  She was weeping uncontrollably.  Sobs wracking her body.

            “Don’t cry for this w***e.’  Lea said.  “She’s going to be doing exactly what she wants.  She is going to w***e for me for a while, and then maybe I’ll set her free, or kill her as I did her brother.  Never again will a Red Dragon return to this Castle.”

            Lea flew from the rear of the Castle, to where her men awaited on her.  As she landed, she threw Marta to Lea’s Captain of Arms.  He caught her easily and raised an eyebrow at the horrific sight of whipped flesh.  Marta barely had a pulse and was losing blood at an alarming rate.  The Captain handed her off to another dragon.

            “Heal her as best as you can, then mount her, and give me the hatchlings.  You and ten other Red Dragons will use her daily until she produces Pure Red Dragons.  All half-breeds will be killed.  Make her do it.  Then continue using her to your delight.  She is now the w***e of the army.  If she lives, she must produce Pure Red’s.  If she dies, then so be it, I could care less---

all I want are eggs.”  Lea instructed her Captain.

            The army prepared to move on.  The next battle sight was to the north, by three months hike.  It seemed the pure clean air was not as good as Lea remembered.  She hadn’t even seen Torch, oh well maybe next time.  For now, the stench of her hatchlings surrounded her, and she went to clean up.  Never again would Lea have hatchlings, they were such a disappointment.

 

           

            Glenna paced around her rooms, angry yet worried.  It had been almost a year since her girls were taken, ten months to be exact.  And here she was made to stay in her sick room, like some hatchling with a fever.  Well she was fully healed, or as good as she would be with only three legs.  It had taken her a month just to learn to stand and walk again, as a dragon.  Yeah the hopping really got on her nerves and it didn’t help that the rest of her body over compensated for it.

            Too much walking and hopping left her weak still.  It had taken six months to heal from the amputation and she was still feeling the effects of the poison.  Some days were good ones, like today.  Glenna really would love to go out in the sunshine, but she wouldn’t bother Ryoch with an interruption to his work.  He had resumed his meeting, and was once again working for the Crown.  Bella and Ryoch had pulled off a great Season with all the grace of pros.

             Secretly Glenna was glad she missed it all, except the games.  Last year this time she was counting her fortune, she had made at the games.  Yeah, she thought, I did miss that.  Bella had luck and skill just like her mother.  Glenna was sure Bella horded away a nice fortune herself.  Glenna stopped pacing and hopping.  “Arggg.”   She growled, hopping just wasn’t lady like.  All of her concentration was on the hop, and it left Glenna feeling awkward and ungraceful.  So much for making a great entrance, from now on she would have to settle for not falling on her face. 

            A knock came at the door, and a page entered the sick room.

            “M’Lady, Lord Saber is coming with all of his information on the search.  It is quite a lot, and he has asked that a large board be set up in your chambers, for him to use as he sets out the information.  Where would you like him to set up?  The bedroom, sitting room or library?”  The Page asked.

            “Here in my private sitting room, please.”  Glenna replied.  It was enraging that they had kept all of this from her, for so many months, and today they have a clan meeting without her.  Well she had, had enough of the sick room, and she would demand to be included from now on.

            The servants quickly set up the needed tables, and left the room.  As Glenna tried to get up again, the door to her rooms crashed open, startling Glenna so badly, she almost fell over.  A blur of yellow ran at her, and threatened to knock her over.

            “Whoa, stop right now!”  Glenna ordered, and Tana crumpled at Glenna’s feet, sobbing uncontrollably.

            “What is it?”  Glenna asked, alarm spreading through her.

            “The hatchlings, they’re dead.”  Tana choked out through her sobs.

            Glenna sat down in shock.  “Are you sure?”  She whispered.

            “Yes M’Lady they are both dead!”  Tana’s cries continued.

            Tana’s words finally soaked in, and Glenna’s eyes rolled up in a faint, she dropped to the floor in a slump.  Tana shook her shoulders, poked a finger at her, and then tried water to revive her mistress.  Nothing worked, Glenna was out cold.

            Tana tried to lift Glenna back to the sick room, but Glenna was too heavy of a dragon, for Tana to lift.  Just then, Saber entered the sitting room, and came to the rescue.

            “What’s happened Tana?  Saber asked.

            “She fainted M’lord, right when I told her they were dead.”  Tana told him. 

            As Saber laid Glenna in bed.  He grabbed Tana’s arm roughly.  “Who’s dead Tana?”  He asked, with a snarl.

            “The hatchlings M’lord.”  And she started to sob again.  Saber hated tears.

            “O.K. calm down, please stop crying, we’ll get to the bottom of this.  Which hatchlings?”  Saber demanded.  “You told her that the hatchlings were dead, right?  Did you tell her which hatchlings?  Did you tell her anything else?”  He demanded.

            “Yes M’lord, I said both of them, and that’s when she fainted.”  Tana explained.

            “O.K., now tell me which hatchlings are dead.”  He said holding back his frustration.

            “Mine M’lord, my babies are dead!”  The sobs echoed off the walls.  Saber never knew Tana had hatchlings, she had always cared for------Marta and Paolo!

            “Where Tana, where are they?”  Saber shook her to get her to talk.

            “The evil one killed them both, M’lord.  Paolo she left in the bunk house with a dead Castle Guard, and they are both dead in there.” She repeated.

            “She, the evil one then killed Marta with a whip.  All of us heard Marta’s screams, then after a little bit we only heard the whip.  It struck Marta 100 times, M’lord.  The evil one brought Marta down with her when she left.  There was so much blood everywhere, leaving a trail.  My babies blood spilled by her own mother.”  Tana finally stopped the sobs, and could tell Saber the whole story.

            “She said a Red Dragon would never come to the Castle again, and then she flew off with Marta in her arms.  There was so much blood M’lord, Marta was surely dead as well.”  Tana finished.

            Saber was locked in disbelief, an evil would come and go too fast for him to stop it, just as Alred had said.  Marta whipped 100 times, she should surely die from it.  And Paolo dead in the bunk house with a Castle Guard with him?  It didn’t make any sense, why would Lea do this?

            “Tana, stay with Glenna, let me know when she wakes up.”  Saber said, “I’m going to the bunk house.”

            Saber caught a runner and sent a note to Ryan to meet him at the bunkhouse.  Saber made his way through the Castle and out to the bunkhouse.  The Season’s games were being played, and it made a surreal feeling as Saber stalked to the bunkhouse.  Ryan arrived just as Saber did.  Saber filled him in, and Ryan had to turn away in disgust.

            “Are you ready for this?”  Ryan asked him.

            “Yeah, you?”  Saber questioned him.

            “No but you lead, I will follow.  They opened the door, and stepped over the drunken squire.  The back room’s door was off its hinges. And smashed to kindling.  The reek hit them like a punch to the gut, both dragons held their breath as they moved toward the room.  Blood splatter was on the walls, and a puddle of it around the Castle Guards head.  Through the smell of blood and gore, the thick sickly smell of sex reached both father and son at the same time.

            “Well that tells us why he’s dead, and why she was so enraged.”  Saber said.  They took in the broken arm and the disgusting scene as quickly as possible.  Paolo was dead.  The evil had been a part of Clan Saber, and it had coiled like a snake around us.  It would come back, and they would destroy it.  The first one came true, almost immediately.  One down two to go. 

            Ryan had guards carry the bodies away for burial.  The young squire was taken to the kitchen, to sober up.  Two trusted servants were brought in to clean the bunkhouse.  Saber wanted no gossip or speculation concerning Paolo, for Torch’s sake.  The whole process of getting rid of the evidence went against his better judgment, but Torch would return to a lair, empty of his family.  That seemed payment enough for the cover up.  Lea however, will still go on record for murder, murder of a Royal to be exact.  Torch was a Duke, and that made Paolo a Marquees, and Marta a Marchioness.

            “Put out a message to find Lea, she will stand trial for this, and may her blood turn to bile before she is off the hook. Murder, her own children.  Today it’s just too much.”  Saber said tiredly.

            “Go home Saber, love your mate, and get some sleep.”  Ryan said.  “I’ll finish this up.”

            “Alright, I’d like to check on Glenna too.  Thank you Ryan.”  Saber turned away, and headed back to the Castle.

            Glenna’s sleep had deepened again, just when she was on her feet, and gaining energy.  Every day a setback happens, and she is back on the brink of death.  Ryoch had been crying with his head bowed, and holding Glenna’s hand.  The healers had just left.  More elixir--- it didn’t seem to help but the healers had no other way to help.  They were used to cuts, broken bones and stomach ailments.  The brain and what it controlled was unknown territory.  Saber saw Ryoch kneeling at the bedside.

            “Son?”  Saber asked.

            “Yeah, she’s still sleeping.”  Ryoch said without looking at his father.

            “I see that, are you o.k.?”  Saber asked.

            “No, no I’m not, why do things have to be so hard Father?  She has suffered so much, and now a stupid hysterical maid throws her right back to where she fought so hard to get away from.  She’s a good life mate, strong, happy, loving, a great mother, why is all this happening to her?”  Ryoch asked without actually expecting an answer.

            “It’s my fault Ryoch, I am the son that Ryan helped raise.  I am the son he gave his attention to.  Cord hates me so much, he would have done all his evil things, from the mating to now, to Cherna, but she was too big, she intimidated him.  So Glenna was the next closest.  My daughter by mating, and my grandchildren.  I promise you he will be punished,” Saber said softly.

            As he turned to leave, Ryoch said, “Thank you Father for all the love you gave me as I grew up.  I am the dragon of today, only because you were such a big part of my life.”

            Saber nodded his head and left.  It was almost sunset, and he was exhausted.  Maybe he’d go to bed early tonight, it had been a really crappy day, and tomorrow they would have the passing ceremony for Paolo.  Oh by the Gods!  He still needed to tell Darna about what happened.            

            “No Father, Mother and I already have.  Darna is medicated and asleep in bed.  We will wake her for the ceremony, but not before.”  Leona said to his mind.

            “Thank you Leona,” Saber sighed in relief.

            “Grandmother is going to take Darna away to the Healers Territory with their hot springs.  Do you think they could help Glenna?”  Leona asked.

            “I don’t know Leona, but I am sure it will help Darna,” Saber replied.  As Saber entered the lair, he felt a breeze on his neck.  His hackles rose as he spun around, seeing nothing.  He sat at the lair opening, and gazed across his valley.  No one coming, Leona would have told him.  Links veil was working great.  So what was it?  Cord, again?  No this felt different, not evil, but still not great either.  It was there, watching him, just beyond the tree line.  Saber trusted the barrier not to let any dragon onto his land.  With that, he went to bed.



© 2013 Kari


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

208 Views
Added on October 26, 2013
Last Updated on October 26, 2013
Tags: D


Author

Kari
Kari

Yerington, NV



About
I am a full time wife and mother of 4 and 3 step children. I am also the proud grandmother of 6 beautiful kids. I didn't come by writing in the normal way. I tinkered with writing as a young adult, .. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Kari