Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Luix Rives

“Get your head in the fight” I felt a little bad about knocking her in the helmet but it wasn’t on my list of concerns at the moment. “You’re letting her in.”

Kyra gave me a nasty look, she didn’t like the fact I was right and that she was losing.

“What’s wrong pretty girl? Did I hurt you? Boo hoo.” Followed by a laugh.

Kyra was started to stand up but I put her back in the stool. “Hey stop it! I have minute with you so stop wasting it.”

“Gabriel, I can get her” She said yelling in my face.

“I know you can, but you’re not showing anybody in here that”

The crowd was loud and it was hard hearing each other even though we were just inches away. The team was behind us screaming for Kyra to win. She was in the last round of her match in the women’s lightweight division championship round.  Kyra is known as one of the elite fighters if not the elite in her division, but right now she wasn’t looking like one.

“Now stay focused. You know she likes to talk so block that out. Go out there and remind her why she doesn’t belong in this ring with you.” I didn’t need to remind the stake of her fight, when she wins our school wins the tournament.

Kyra closed her eyes inhaling a deep breathe. Her eyes were looking over me when they opened. She had the determination I was looking for, she was ready.

The judge was motioning for them to the center of the ring. I went through the ropes outside the ring next to our instructor Leon. He gave a nod, happy with what I told Kyra.

My attention went back into the ring. Kyra was in her ready stance while Cindy was still trying to mock her. The bell rang and the fight was on its way. Kyra press forward throwing Cindy off her strategy, it wasn’t long after Kyra hit her with a barrage of kicks ending with scissor kick take down leaving a stunned Cindy on the mat. As fast as the third round had started it was over. I found myself back in the ring with the rest of the school congratulating Kyra.

“Thanks” Kyra said as she came in for a hug

“Yeah wasn’t worried at all, next time make sure when you’re losing you’re actually losing over something better than head games.” I replied back as I received her hug.

She took her helmet off and her long blond hair fell out, wet from being inside. Her green eyes and face coming into full affect after having it covered. “Yeah she had me going there didn’t she?” she replied smiling.

“A little”

Some of the tournament promoters were standing around wanting to get a word from Kyra, she made her way towards them after she gave me another hug.

I stood there and took it in. We had won the circuit, all of our fighters did great in their divisions and with that our school in its second year gets to take home the glory.

“You did well on your first coaching assignment.”

“I learned from you sir” I said turning to my instructor.

“Well that’s true, but it was you who got her head into the fight when she forgot where she needed to be.”

Leon was a huge mentor in my life. He was the one years ago who convinced me to join his school. He was wise beyond his years at the age of thirty and like me martial arts was his life. He grew up doing this as a small child. He always wanted his own school with the same philosophy he was taught. It’s been three years since I met him, you would have never guess he was a skilled martial art fighter based on his appearance. He was built big but not your typical martial artist. I could kind of relate, for my age I was bigger than most frame wise. I was noticing lately though he was appearing more tired than usual. His eyes looked heavy and he was trying to keep himself from yawning.

“Tired?” I asked as he was concealing a yawn.

“A long night last night” he replied, “Kyra’s coming back.”

“So…?” directing the question to Kyra.

“Well, as you know for the winners and the high society of the martial art world hold a banquet at the end of each tournament and we have been invited to attend.” Kyra said happily.

It was her first official banquet. She had just turned old enough to be allowed to attend them. Myself, I have been to many of them. Comes with the territory of winning many tournaments, but I wasn’t that fond of them. I will get into that in a bit.

“So I take it you’re going?”

“No, were going, all three of us.” She said even more happily. “I have to find something to wear, and what about my hair…” and she was going over a list of things she would need tonight. That just meant I would have to run home to put on my suit. This was a high class banquet so nothing outside of jacket was dress code.

Jace and Donovan came over congratulating Kyra and her success.

“You almost got your butt kicked.” Jace said laughing.

“Not like you will next week.” Kyra blasted back.

Donovan started laughing pretty hard from Kyra’s comeback.

The team. There are seven of us in total. Myself, Kyra, Jace, Donovan, Alec, Craig, and Felicia. Alec, Craig, and Felicia couldn’t make it today as they had prior engagements. In Felicia case she was grounded, how do I know this? She’s my sister and I saw her get grounded. We seven are our school’s elite tournament team. See out here martial arts is a pretty big thing with local and national tournaments held almost weekly. John Ritz is the one who owns the hotel casino who holds these tournaments. He is pretty big on martial arts but he is also big on the money it brings in. He is the main reasons we have banquets. Anyways the tournaments change weekly, today was the female divisions, next week is the male divisions. We compete for an assortment of reasons but mainly for the exposure of our school. There are other monetary benefits to it but that is only a perk compared to the exposure.  

“You guys should go if you have to come back for the banquet” Donovan reminded us “and plus I think the way Kyra is going she’s going to need all the time she can get to herself together.”

He wasn’t kidding “We’ll see you tomorrow?”

“Duh” Jace replied. We bowed to each other and left.

Now the banquet. I really don’t have anything against the banquets. I like the idea of having something formal where the winners of the tournaments and their team are recognized for their achievements. It’s the underlying reasons I think is what gets me the most. These banquets are held mainly for John Ritz. Yes it has to do a lot with participate and awards, but it also felt John Ritz uses these things to assert himself in a separate class than others. I mean a regular banquet people dress nice a simple dinner, awards are announced, speeches, but he likes to do it over the top for the recognition of it. Can’t tell you the number of times he uses these things as an exploit for his publicity. How much the committee board sucks up to him to keep it up. Some of the stipulations of the fights are sometimes based off of him. He was the reason weapons became a part of tournament fighting.

Outside of that the decorations are always nice, money is in no away an issue. Food is always lavish with half the things I couldn’t afford elsewhere, there was a live band for the dancing portion and seeing the expression on Kyra’s face as she took it in was priceless.

“This is so cool.” She expressed shocking as we sat at our table.

Leon gave a smile and I couldn’t help but laugh. I will admit I was the same way at first. Kyra really did go all out. She wore a beautiful red dress and went through the works as far as make up and shoes. She was looking gorgeous.

The night pressed forward. A welcoming speech from the committee and John Ritz. Food was served, some of the best steak I ate. Awards were distributed and Kyra didn’t realize she had to give a speech and became real nervous. She made it through thanking everyone for their support and acknowledging Leon and I. Then started the dancing portion. 

The waltz music began playing and that was my cue to head outside. I do it every time we attend the banquet, it got to the point where Leon didn’t question where I was going. I gave Kyra an assuring nod as her face questioned where I was going.  Call it what you want but I never understood why a banquet made for martial artist awards contained dancing especially something like the waltz.

“I’ll be back in a little bit” I said. The others at the table nodded.

I was getting up and all around me people were pairing off with each other heading toward the dance floor. I had nothing against the waltz itself. My mother, may she rest in peace, was raised as a ballroom dancer. Before her passing five years ago she taught me all the dances from ballroom to Latin. I don’t practice very often, if ever, so I couldn’t say if I even remember how to do the steps. I do remember actually not being half bad though.

I made my way to the door, occasionally acknowledging some of the guest. Most though had their attention toward the dance floor where it was quickly filling up. Outside the doors I could see the open courtyard. The lights left a nice soft ambiance I find comforting, the landscape was built with a sense of Greek mythology, which was another reason I enjoyed coming here. It had white columns and stone benches with statues honoring some of the Greek Gods. It was also quiet, not many people came out here, for the exception of the music. It could still be heard from the ballroom.

“Swan Lake” I said out loud to myself immediately recognizing the song.

“Yes, it is” A female voice said behind me in agreement.

She made me quickly turn at the sudden surprise. I hadn’t realized someone was out here with me. She was young, no younger than me. Her blonde hair was done in one of the fanciest ways I had ever seen. I only imagine how much hair products was holding it the way it was. The dress she was wearing also went with the fancy theme. It was definitely high class. 

“I’m sort of surprised to see you spook. I thought all you fighter types were big and bad.” She started getting up walking to where I stood. “Even the great Gabriel Luis.”

As she got closer I saw more of her features come into light. Her hazel eyes, the little freckles on her cheek. It also helped she was now standing in my personal space, so close I was inhaling the vanilla scent she was wearing. It smelled good.

“You caught me off guard. Usually it’s just me out here during the dancing portion of these things.” I replied back trying to make it obvious I was uncomfortable.

“You have a thing against dancing?” She asked looking at me as if she made a new discovery and she was trying to figure out what it was.

“No”

“Then what is it?” She inched in a little closer.

“Just something against a waltz reception during a martial arts function I guess.”

She studied me a little longer after my answer. “It’s mainly for me.”

Now I was the one studying her “What do you mean…for you?”

She took a few steps back and began walking around the courtyard. “John Ritz, the guy everyone is trying to impress right now, he is my father.” My face must have tipped her off because she giggled and continued. “This is his way of trying to get me to come to these events.”

I admit it was weird processing the information “So…these things are thrown for the martial art community but at the same time made into a ball so you will come.”

She nodded

The most compromise I can get from my dad is getting mushrooms on our pizza. Here John Ritz’s daughter has a whole event designed to incorporate her. I didn’t know what to initial think. I hear things like this and think spoiled.

“And you’re out here….instead of in there.” I was pointing to the ballroom.

“Yup…regardless of what he tries, doesn’t mean I want to be here.”

“Your father puts that kind of effort into getting you involved…and you’re out here?” Again my dad has made efforts to do stuff for me, but the caliber of this and to sit by like it wasn’t happening left me stunned.

“Is there a problem with that?” She said with a hint of annoyance. “I don’t need to justify to you about it? What I have against my father is none of your business. So leave it alone.”

Yup spoiled. “You’re right, I’ll leave you alone then.” At that I turned away from looking out towards the city.

It was silent again, the music had changed. It was playing Sleeping Beauty but it was ending.  The next song was more of a surprise. I recognized it once it started but it wasn’t a typical waltz song it was…ordinary day? I hadn’t heard this song in forever.

“Hey…I’m sorry” was said with a poke on my back. I turn my attention around to her. She was in close again, her eyes apologetic. All I could think as they were working on me how much she was able to get away with those eyes. “The subject of my father is a touchy one. I would probably ask too if it was reversed.”

“It’s Okay…” before I could finish she blindsided me with her next question.

“Would you dance with me?” and before I could say “Uhhhh” she was grabbing my hand and making her way inside.

Now at first I didn’t recognize her when I saw her, I could honestly say I had never seen her before until now. That wasn’t the case for everyone else in the room. They knew who she was and for the most part knew who I was. Those that were sitting in conversation quickly stopped and looked with intriguing glances, others were pointing toward us. Needless to say I was probably blushing at the attention we were receiving as we headed toward the dance floor.

She wasn’t fazed by the attention. A part of me wondered if she welcomed it. As we were standing in the middle of the dance floor “Okay, now this dance is easy just follow my lead.”

The song was still playing and the thought I was having earlier was coming back. This was a fast song for the waltz. I was looking around to see what style of waltz went with this song but everyone had pretty much stopped dancing to look at us.

I was looking at her and she was trying to be reassuring by giving me a smile. It was nice smile. I say nice because the situation I was in wouldn’t let me admit how pretty it actually was. She led or tried to. My body didn’t respond the way it was supposed to and I bumped into her. She laughed and put us in position again.

My mom would have been upset at me right about now. I knew the dance. I remember how to do this. I caught myself looking at her again and started relaxing. Just me, her and no one else around. It came back to me slow at first, my feet knew which way to go and my frame was still in place. She was leading the start of the dance but I quickly took control to her surprise. The dance as I predicted was faster than I was used to, but it was actually pretty fun. I began going into the moves my mother taught me, twirls, grapevines, and spins. I even caught myself smiling at it. It was the first time I was dancing since she had passed away and I was realizing how much I was missing it.

I was pretty sure everyone at this point stopped to watch us because we were using a lot of floor space and wasn’t running into anyone. She was keeping her focus on me, a sly smile forming every time she saw my face. It went on for some time, but the song started slowing down and came to an end. There was applause from the audience and we both turned and gave a bow. There was a question still bothering me and it was what her name was.

As I was turning to ask her, she was looking elsewhere. I followed her gaze but couldn’t see at what and then she darted off. Guess I wasn’t going to find out about her name. I went back to the table and I could already see Leon giving me an amused look.

“I know what you’re thinking and no it’s not what you think.” I quickly responded as I sat down.

He didn’t say anything for a few seconds “I don’t know what you’re talking about. I was just thinking for someone who doesn’t like to dance at these things you are pretty good at it.” He said trying to hide his smile. “You’re not only a good fighter, but an exceptional dancer.”

I looked across the table at Kyra who was smiling ear to ear. “Oh you better believe I’m telling everyone about this and I’m not just talking about the dancing part.”

And boy did she not waste any time. Felicia was asking all sorts of question before I had a chance to get out of the car. Then it was followed by my father who was finding the story very interesting himself.

I kept assuring everyone it was only a dance, but based off the information they received from Kyra, they were convinced it was more than a dance. Felicia kept referencing love movies that started the same way.

“Kyra said you beamed up like the sun with the smile you had on your face.”

I laughed as made my way to my room, my sister still on hot pursuit for more details.

“So I wonder what Emmalin would think about this?” Felicia joked as she sat on my bed.

Now Emmalin is a very close friend of ours. We have known each other ever since I first moved out here. I can pretty much tell her anything. We have a really close relationship but I don’t think she would be bothered by this.

“Why would Emmalin care? And plus it was only a dance. No harm in a dance.” I replied back

“Yeah, tell that to every other person you danced with. Oh that’s right, you haven’t danced with anyone before.” She shot back.

“Hey, she practically dragged me to the floor.” Realizing it was not the best excuse.

“The Great Gabriel, dragged by a teenage girl to the floor.” She said laughing “I’m sure if you wanted, you could have overpowered her, but guess what…you didn’t.”

And that was why it wasn’t the best excuse.  “Get out, I’m tired…it’s been a long night.”

“I bet it was with all the dancing, I’ll leave you alone to dream about your magical night with Cinderella.” She jabbed running out the room before my shoe could reach her. 

I took of my clothes and changed into my sleep wear. I was tired and not because of the dance. It had been a long day with the tournament and banquet, and sleep was more than needed at this point. I did start to think about her, I didn’t even know her name so it couldn’t be anything. I did have fun dancing but that was it, it was only a dance nothing more and plus it’s not like I will ever see her again. At that time I couldn’t have guessed how wrong I was but before I was able to begin arguing with myself I started drifting asleep. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



© 2015 Luix Rives


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

147 Views
Added on December 29, 2015
Last Updated on December 29, 2015


Author

Luix Rives
Luix Rives

Las Vegas, NV



About
I have countless dreams and an endless imagination that I want to share. I enjoy writing stories and making something that I can say, yeah that was me :)~ more..

Writing