Chapter 17

Chapter 17

A Chapter by Luix Rives

We stood in the east wing watching as the acolytes went into each room. It was tough I wanted so badly to just run and take care of them but I needed to see how many there were. They found other students and teachers during their search. I held my breath every time they came out the room hoping Emmalin wasn’t one of them but it was only a matter of time. I told to her to not move and hide, and if I said it she would do it. I could feel my muscles tensing as the number of students were starting to build each time they went into a classroom.  

Jace must have felt my anger building because I felt him grab my shoulder to try to calm me down. The more doors they went through the tighter his grip got. They didn’t seem to be doing any harm to them, if they found them, they led them out of the room and started making a group in the hallway. I recognized many of the students and I wanted to help them but it would be to chaotic leaving to chance what the acolytes might do.

“I’m counting at least twelve, but there might be more in the classrooms.”

“Twelve is a pretty good number.”

I was going to agree with him until I saw Emmalin being taken out of the classroom. Tears were streaming down her face in fear on what was happening. I felt my stomach tighten as I barely heard Jace trying to talk me down.

“There are not hurting anyone.”

But it hurt me to see her in that situation. Was I the cause of all this? According to Jessica I wasn’t but it felt that way, many things still didn’t add up and until I knew the full answer I was going to feel responsible for this.

A huge guy came out last, looking like he was built with muscles, scanning the group. He was definitely the leader of this group. It couldn’t be here brother unless he really went through a transformation. I only had an old photo to base it off but even so I couldn’t see it. After he was done he gave out instructions “You and you come with me, we will take this batch. Everyone else keeps looking.” No hesitation from anyone as they started leading the batch while the others continued to look.

It was opportunity but I couldn’t shake the feeling like I just failed Emmalin. I turned to Jace, “As soon as it clears, get ready.”

He nodded and started taking deep breathes.

The acolytes went back to the doors and we quietly made our way towards them. They split themselves in a few rooms, as long as we didn’t make a lot of noise we could take them out in smaller groups. We were at the door and I saw in the reflection there were more students. I could hear the acolytes demanding them to get outside. So much for the sneak plan this was going to happen now. We slipped into the room and stood there ready for whatever was going to happen next. I recognized some of the students, Frank the dj, and others I’ve met throughout the year. When they made eye contact with us it tipped off the three acolytes. First thing I saw was no guns, so did everyone leave their guns in the office? The desk were pushed to the sides so space wasn’t an issue. The three acolytes surrounded us.

“What are you two doing? Get back out there.”

The one next to me proceeded to grab my arm. This was it, no turning back now. I clasped his arm against mine and it was signal enough to Jace to attack. It took everyone by surprise. I kept the arm tight flipping it to open his body and went to work. I went in with a swift kick, leg going deep into his hip. I drove my shin deep into it watching him lose the air from his body. A fist came in, I stepped into it striking his arm as he extended it, following it with a serious of punches across his jaw. I turned with a knee to the first one just to make sure he was going to stay down.  

Jace was breathing heavy from the adrenaline but his acolyte laid on the ground as well. I had to keep my cool as my body was in overdrive with emotion. I motioned for everyone to stay down and quiet, I had to get them to wake from the initial shock but they listened. We ran outside in a hurry, surely the others heard and they were going to be on their way. Another acolyte was coming out of another room. Jace stepped and delivered a wheel kick before the guy knew what was going on. The secret was out. I didn’t falter as my mind raced trying to keep it together. We went into another classroom and I swept under a fist and continued to move forward as Jace countered the attack. There was another acolyte in front of me, he came at with the full intention of hitting me with his wild punch. I felt a small grin as I saw it coming a mile away. I leaned back kicking his shin, he fell and before he had a chance to look up my foot was at his head.

Jace was already out the door meeting the last couple in the hallway. I came out delivering a sidekick to an acolyte who was coming up on Jace’s flank. I didn’t see the one who was tackling me as I paid attention to Jace, the air was knocked out of me, but I was still able to adjust myself as we hit the ground. I kept my legs tight against his front hips countering the tackle by using his momentum against him. I flipped the acolyte right over me, his face was priceless when the realization of what was happening became evident on his face, then painful when he crashed into the lockers.

I shot out a short sigh as I popped up on my feet. Jace had a couple down and was working on the last one. I was coming to help but another Acolyte came out of another room. I softened him with back fist and a quick combination of attacks. I used him as a support hooking my leg around his neck shooting him into the ground, popping around with a punch in his face. Jace was holding the last acolyte from their collar.

“Still nervous?”

“It’s improved.” Pushing the acolyte to the ground.

“We need to find something to tie them all up.” I said looking around.

“The supply room.” Frank said peaking his head out. Others were starting to make their way out the classroom, many were thanking us, and others were asking how we did what they saw.

  “You’re welcome but I need you to get back inside the rooms. It’s not safe.”

“Gabriel, what is going on?”

It was a sophomore. She was scared and rightfully so. They had no idea what was going on. I took a minute to look for Jace, he was walking around double checking on the bodies, I could see some of them moving but Jace was knocking them out then moving them in another classroom.

“The school was attacked by the acolytes. They are gathering everyone they find and taking them to gym. I have no idea why but we’re trying to figure this out.”

“Why are you telling us to stay in the classrooms? Shouldn’t we just leave?” more questions kept flooding in “What did we think we were going to do?”

“Yeah we’re looking for that too. You’re not the only group of people. All the exits are chained shut and we yet to find another way out. I know I am asking for a lot but I need you to all trust me on this.”

That put more fear into everyone but it laid out the seriousness of the situation.

“What do you want us to do?”

“Go back in the rooms, barricade the entrance and just wait. Help is coming. I just need to figure this out.”

A few disagreed but eventually everyone made their way back into the rooms. Jace was done tying everyone up as he walked up to me.

“You could have helped.”

“What? No…you did just fine. Trust me I am more than happy doing the grunt work then having to deal with that attention.”

I chuckled at his response “Alright…Did you notice no guns.”

“I did, it’s weird they didn’t have any.”

“Okay well hopefully we don’t come across those that do. We need to get back to the others.”

“We didn’t find an exit.”

“I know but I want to check in, they were searching the school. I want to make sure they’re safe.”

The pit in my stomach dropped as we reached the music room. It wasn’t the same as we left. The cabinets that covered the doorway was pushed to the side exposing the door. I could feel my breathing slowing as I made my way to the storage room. How did they know where to look? It was an excellent hiding spot. No way could they have spotted it that quickly.

I heard a voice and we dispersed into hiding spots.  I tried looking to see who it was, but I had no angle. What was going on?

I turned to Jace and he had the same look of concern. We couldn’t just walk in. “This is what we’re going to do.” I signaled to him to go to the door and create a distraction. He didn’t question or disagree with the plan, he went to the door and slammed it shut.

I tucked begin the cabinet waiting for whoever to come out and sure enough they came.

“I bet you that’s them. That little punk wasn’t lying about two of them coming back.”

They were waiting for us? How did they know we were gone? I was going to lose it if this didn’t happen soon. I needed answers.

Jace stood at the entrance looking startled as the two men came to confront him. I was so heated I didn’t wait long, I grabbed a stanchion that was nearby, I didn’t know what it was doing there but it was bunched with others. I didn’t have to think, I wrapped my hands around one coming around the cabinet behind the two acolytes mocking Jace. I swung without a moment hesitation striking them both in surprise. One dropped instantly and the other was met with Jace’s kick.

“Huh…these are the same two guys from earlier.”

If Jace hadn’t mentioned it I wouldn’t have noticed. “Look at that.”

I tossed my stanchion as I went into the storage room. It was empty…they had taken everyone and waited for us. There was a rustle in the corner and we were on top of it ready to take on whatever it was.

“Gabriel!” Jessica yelled, arms wrapping around my neck.

I was briefly happy to see her safe but I pulled her back and started asking about the others. “What happened here?”

She didn’t know how to respond as she was looking for the best way to explain, “It was Craig.”

I was going to have some sort of heart condition at the end of this, my blood was boiling at the hearing of his name. “What did he do?”

“After you guys left it was about fifth teen minutes he started making a ruckus, he wanted to check things himself. Your sister and friends argued against him but he didn’t want to hear it. He was convinced it was his time…whatever that meant.”

Jace scoffed as he rolled his eyes.

“So he left. Maybe ten minutes he was back knocking on the door. It was weird according to your friends. It didn’t sound right. So Donovan, that’s his name right? Well he told me to hide back here just in case. The door opened and in walked in Charli.”

“Wait, who’s Charli?”

“Oh…she’s my brother girlfriend, the lady over the intercom? I figured it was her but seeing her confirmed that.”

“Okay…”

“Craig was being carried in and Charli was thanking him for showing them where everyone was.”

Jace interjected, “Are you saying Craig told the acolytes where we were?”

Jessica slowly nodded, “Charli made it sure it was known, even explained how they caught him running outside and how easy it was making him confess. I don’t him but I know what I heard.”

“Gabe, this is crazy…”

I couldn’t agree more. It was like my worst nightmare, my worst fear all materializing into the real thing. I wanted to scream, break things, possibly walk over to the acolytes who were lying on the ground outside the door and give them a swift kick to rid some anger.  It wasn’t hard to sense my emotion, Jace put his hand on my shoulder, “Hey we need a plan. What can we do to draw them out?”

I didn’t know, the fact they had everyone at the gym. They were on some sort of time limit.

Jessica spoke up,” I have an idea…”

She was watching both of us before she started, “This is my fault, they want me, let them take me. I can’t stand here and see this happening because of me.”

Sadly the thought had crossed my mind but the creed repeated in my head before the thought was completed. “No.”

She wanted to argue but she didn’t pursue with that angle. “Then use me as a bargaining chip, also use your influence on him.”

I gave her a confused look.

“Once he finds out its you, I think it would intrigue him or at least draw him out.”

“Why Gabriel?”

“Because of his Father and my involvement in his martial arts world.” I realized.

“Oh sounds deep…”

“You have to trust me.” Jessica was adamant this was the way to go.

Jace looked at me with questionable look but he just shrugged his shoulders. “I won’t lie It kind of sucks.”

“Yeah but It’s a plan.”

 



© 2016 Luix Rives


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
Added on January 25, 2016
Last Updated on January 25, 2016


Author

Luix Rives
Luix Rives

Las Vegas, NV



About
I have countless dreams and an endless imagination that I want to share. I enjoy writing stories and making something that I can say, yeah that was me :)~ more..

Writing