Chapter 10

Chapter 10

A Chapter by Luix Rives

“Hey brother, are you going to get up. I know there’s no classes or tournaments today but still, it’s almost like noon.”

“Ugh…leave me alone for a little longer.” I turned in bed and felt an immediate strain in my body. It’s been awhile since I felt like this.

Felicia opened my door and walked in. “Oh good you’re awake.”  She said as she sat on my bed.

I turned to look at her to show my disapproval on her current decision but it even hurt to do that. “Gabriel what happened, you got bruises everywhere and your face looks kind of swollen.”

“Training after everyone left. Leon wanted to go over some new things and they were pretty intense.”

“New curriculum?”

“Meh…you can say that.”

“I’m not excited about it if I end up looking like you.”

“It’s a work in progress. Where’s dad?”

“Where do you think? Hes working. Ever since the two attacks he’s been putting in hours like crazy.” It wasn’t the first time this happened where we hardly see him because of work. He calls frequently to check in, food is always prepared, it sucked at times and we didn’t get to do family things as much as we wanted but we made due.

“So why do I have the honor of being awoken by you?” Still have asleep.

“I figured since Jessica, her name is Jessica right, showed up at our doorstep and is waiting in our living room you wanted to know.” I looked at my sister, she was known as being a prankster but given her attitude it led me to believe she was actually telling the truth.

“Is that why you’re being annoying loud?”

Felicia laughed. “Is it that obvious?”

“What is she doing here?” I hadn’t heard from since the tournament. It was almost as if she disappeared.

“I don’t know. You ask her?”

“Alright.” I threw my pillow at her. “Keep her company for a bit.”

I got up slowly. There was still a large amount of pain and soreness as I got ready. My head hurt it wasn’t just cause of the pain, what possible reason could Jessica be here for? I walked downstairs and there she was sitting on the couch with my sister having a conversation as if they have known each other their whole lives.

“Hello?” Breaking the conversation.

Jessica looked up a smile beaming from her face. It almost stoped me in my tracks but it was quickly gone as she noticed the damage on my body.

“Don’t worry I’m okay, just a little beat up.”

It calmed her down and the smile crept up again. “Okay…Hi”

My sister didn’t move and continued to sit on the couch watching our interaction. “It’s good to see you again. What brings you here?” pointing around our house.

“A couple of things.” Jessica said standing up. “I never got to properly thank you for last week. Given what’s happened, the media, you know.”

“Of course and no problem. I just did what anyone else would have done in that situation.”

She giggled. “You really don’t give yourself enough credit do you?” Felicia snorted in agreement. “No what you did, not many people would have done.” Now she was standing in front of me, even on a regular day she was dressed nicely. I imagine the outfit she was wearing wasn’t cheap.

“Gabriel what are you doing today?”

Felicia chimed in before I had a chance to answer “Nothing, he is doing nothing today.”

I looked at her “I got it.”Felicia smiled again

“Good because my father wanted to invite you over for lunch. Kind of his way of saying thank you.”

“Huh?”

She smiled again. “You saved his daughter, he was wants to thank you, come on.”

“Yeah Gabriel go.”

I looked at both of them. “Okay at least let me change, I am clearly under dress.”

Jessica laughed, “No your fine, come on the limo is outside waiting.”

“Wait what?” as she grabbed my hand leading me out to where her limo was waiting.

 

I prepared myself mentally for what I was probably going to see. We weren’t poor by any means and lived comfortably but I had a feeling I was getting ready to experience what people with real money live like. I was not disappointed. Jessica talked the entire time as I sat and just listened. You would have never guessed her life was in danger just a week ago, I figured that’s a good thing. It kept me distracted in paying attention where we ended up so when I stepped outside and saw her house I was beyond impressed. The house just based on the outside was four times larger than ours. The entrance was a double set of doors twelve feet tall at the end of stone staircase. The door opened and inside was just an entrance hall. The architect alone was amazing, staircases on both sides leading toward to the center of a bridge on the second floor. That was just the entrance, the other parts of the house was just as unique and gorgeous.

Jessica led me through the house and I was noticing the large amount of security personnel standing around. “Is the security because of last week or is it always like this?”

Jessica looked around. “I haven’t really paid attention but it looks like there are more than usual.” and continued walking.

We walked around her house as she gave the tour. There were a lot of nice things just for decorations and furniture. Each room had a theme different from each other. I couldn’t help think there was a lot of fancy items, not particularly my taste, but nonetheless still nice.

We walked into another wing of the house and eventually ended at her room. Her room was large of course. I walked around looking at the pictures on her dresser. There were many pictures throughout the house with Jessica and John Ritz as well as some other older folks, I assumed were either friends and older generations of family but these photos held two people I didn’t see anywhere in the house. One was a woman I assumed could be Jessica’s mother, there were similarities with her looks. There was also a teenage boy again similarities. “Is this your mother and brother?”

Jessica walked over to look at the picture. “Yes these are the few pictures I have of them.”

I didn’t want to pry and get into her personal life, evidently something happened.

“My mother passed away a couple of years ago. That’s one of the last photos I have of her.”

“Shes beautiful.”

“Thank you”

“And your brother?”

“As far as I know he’s alive. I haven’t talked to him since my mom. He became distant when it happened. Well he was already distant but even more when it happened. You would have liked him though.”

“Is that so?”

“He was big into martial arts. He was good too. He probably would have given you a run for your money.” She laughed, “I’m joking, but he would have enjoyed challenging you.”

“Well if I ever meet him, I will let him know I’m up for it.”

“He would like that, but we’ll see.”

“Have you tried getting a hold of him?”

“For a long time I did but after a while I didn’t know where he was and kind of gave up.

“I’m sure he’ll turn up one day.”

“Me too”

As annoying as my sister could be sometimes, I couldn’t imagine doing that to her but I guess it’s different for everyone.

Before we got more into the conversation on of the security details who was shadowing us around stepped into her doorway. “Excuse me but your father would like you to join him on the patio.”

“Thank you Joe” and he stepped way. “You ready to go?”

“Lead the way.” She grabbed my hand and lead the way again.

 

When we reached the patio John Ritz walked towards us as we got closer to the table. He extended his hand and I shook it.

“How are you Gabriel?” He said slapping my shoulder. It hurt, not because of his strength, but because I was still nursing the pain from the night before.

He walked us over to the table where there was a beautiful spread left out with an assortment of fruits and snacks. Again I felt underdressed but it didn’t appear to bother john Ritz.

“Gabriel, thank you for coming today. Jessica insisted you join us and I couldn’t think of a better time to personally thank you.”

“Thank you for having me.”

“No, thank you for everything you have done. I have you to personally thank for my daughter, I also have you to thank for your contributions during the tournaments. You are a big draw.” He said with a big smile.

“Dad we didn’t bring him for that.”

“Yes that is true but you will continue to come once this whole thing passes over correct? I mean things like this usually don’t happen so I wouldn’t expect it to again.”

“Dad.” Jessica voice louder

I was disgusted by the lack of sympathy and concern he had over the situation. Peopled died, not to mention his daughter was almost taken. The image of Adam popping into my head. “People lost their lives and I myself lost a colleague.”

“Yes yes and I have taken it upon myself to make sure those families are taken care of.”

“Yes but how do you replace their loved ones, money does only so much.” He was getting agitated by my responses and at the moment I didn’t care.

“I can’t do anything about that but I can do things to help them through it.”

I felt it was an opportunity to get information but I knew I had to be careful or I was going to get kicked out. I had a feeling John Ritz put up with much less and I was testing it.

I looked over at Jessica and could tell she was uncomfortable with her father’s responses. “Jessica sorry for not asking earlier but are you okay?” She looked at me with a questioned look. “I mean from what happened, the men who grabbed you, it almost seemed like you were the purpose.”

John Ritz interrupted before she had a chance to say anything. “She is fine as you can see, she has you to thank, I doubt she was anyone’s target, I believe she just happen to be a girl taken by men with bad intentions.”

I wanted to say more like why wasn’t anyone else was attempted to be taken but I kept my mouth shut, the tension was already building and anymore would just explode.

John Ritz stood up buttoning his jacket, “I have some business to attend to. Gabriel it was a pleasure and I hope you make the right decision about continuing with us. Honey I will see you later.” He grabbed his drink and jumped on his phone.

After he left and was out of range, Jessica didn’t say anything except put her finger to her lip then her ear and started talking about something totally different. She motioned to eat quickly and when we finished she took me off the estates, I think it was off, I honestly didn’t know where the estates started or ended. Once we got to an open meadow with a small pond I noticed the security detail was still around but they were noticeably farther. When she felt more comfortable she let her guard down.

“I am so sorry for the way my dad acted back there.”

“No it’s not your fault. I’m just taken by how he is looking at the whole situation.”

“I do have to say, I have never seen anyone talk to my father like that before.”

“For a second there I thought he was going to personally kick me out.”

She laughed, “Yeah, I haven’t seen him like that in a long time.” She looked at me and it was quiet. “You know my mother and brother would liked you.”

“Yeah, how come? Cause I stood up to your father?”

“Yes but just the way you look at things. I love my father but its because the way he is eventually what did drive my mother and brother away.” That explained the lack of pictures in the house.

I was still bothered how that conversation went and I wondered if Jessica felt the same way I did about her kidnapping or did her father make her believe that. I was going to ask but Jessica surprised me with a kiss.  I didn’t react, I really couldn’t, I don’t think I even kissed back but it was a long kiss and at one point she did step back as her cheeks were blushed. I imagine my were just as red as I could feel the heat resonate off of them. I couldn’t help it and I did smile. Jessica looked at me and returned the smile.

“Thank you”

“Your welcome.”

Before anything else happened my phone rang in my pocket bringing us back to earth. I was my dad and I knew this day was over with Jessica. “I think its going to be time for me to go back.”

Jessica gave a small laugh “Fathers right?”

“Yeah, no kidding.”

Until next time.”

“Until…”

 

“So that’s how it ended?”

“Yeah she took me back home and that was it.”

“Wow sounds almost dreamy?’

“Stop it.”

Jace laughed. We both were stretching on the edge of the mat as the others were coming in for our usual Sunday training.  “So you think we should continue with the tournaments?”

I had my opinion about the subject. Jace wasn’t thrilled with John Ritz response neither was anyone else I told, especially Emmalin. She didn’t seem to agree with the whole day itself, but that was another conversation. “The more I think about it, the school utilizes the tournament for advertising as much as he uses it on me, on all of us. It also gives anyone here an opportunity to be picked up by a sponsor. For the school and everyone here I don’t think I can stop because of his greedy ways, but believe me, I will not do anything for the tournament, it’s just for the school.”

“I hear that.”

It was good seeing everyone back at the studio. The past week many others were limited in coming like Donovan and Alec. They were at the tournament as well and their parents naturally were protective of their safety. Craig was also at the tournament but his absence was because he liked to train outside of the school. He felt it gave him an edge so we wouldn’t know his arsenal when he came to train or compete against us. It was a good strategy and he did come in with new techniques at times but there wasn’t much of an edge.

Craig dropped his bag next to us. “I hear you had a date with John Ritz’s daughter. The struggle must be real for the Great Gabriel, he can get any girl he wants.”

I couldn’t help but laugh, “Far from it on both accounts.”

Craig face disagreed with my comment.

“But its impressive how fast news travels, no, they just had me over to thank me for saving her.”

“Man I wish I was fighting in that area, I could have helped and been recognized as well.” He said as he started stretching.

“I was there,” Jace interjected. Good thing too because I was pissed at his statement. “I’m okay without the recognition.”

“Yeah, but to have someone like John Ritz’s gratitude, that’s the recognition right there.”

Craig response reminded me how much he changed over the years. I understand tournaments and recognition go together in this business, the more you have the more opportunities become available. Craig use to be about the love of the sport and the support of the school but it has consumed him to be this person I hardly recognized.

“I don’t think like that, he doesn’t owe me anything and I would want nothing from him.”

“Well I think that’s dumb, but that’s just me.”

I saw Jace roll his eyes at Craig’s response.

“Anyways did he say when the tournaments will start up again? I was doing so well with the sponsors until everything happened.”

“He didn’t but rest assured he is adamant about getting them going again.”

“Good, I can get back to smooching the sponsors.”

I looked at Craig the same way I did at John Ritz. Did people dying have no effect on him? Did his selfishness block away the image of Adam? I wanted to yell at him for being so ignorant, but then I thought better of it and I can beat it out of him in a couple of minutes.

I ignored Craig for now and went back to the thought of seeing everyone else. Yeah we saw each other at school but this is where we belong and in true fashion where we went after each other. The session was kept short but very intense. I was still very sore from Friday. Jace must have been experiencing the same thing because his response time was off as well. I tried to laugh it off but the pain kept creeping back up during certain movements, which happened to be all my movements.

Afterwards everybody said their goodbyes making their way out. Felicia went outside to wait with Kyra which gave Leon a small opportunity to talk to us. “Starting tomorrow night we will commence training. This is a work in progress and we will adjust as needed but I need you to train as much as we can for the time being. Is that understood?”

“Yes sir”

“Be ready because we start strong tomorrow.”

I chuckled at the thought. If Friday wasn’t a sign of what strong was then we were in for a world of hurt.

“Yes sir”  

 



© 2016 Luix Rives


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
Added on January 16, 2016
Last Updated on January 16, 2016


Author

Luix Rives
Luix Rives

Las Vegas, NV



About
I have countless dreams and an endless imagination that I want to share. I enjoy writing stories and making something that I can say, yeah that was me :)~ more..

Writing