Chapter 15

Chapter 15

A Chapter by Luix Rives

I was still trying to come down from the clouds the next day. I was in a pretty good mood and it was evident to everyone because they wanted to know what happened. My sister, man she can be persistent when she wanted something. Even at practice, everyone knowing Leon wanted complete focus especially when we trained at the park was willing to do extra drills to try to get details because they couldn’t wait to try to get out of me afterwards. I eventually told them but the effort put in was shocking.

It was good feeling, one that I hadn’t felt in a long time, Emmalin was in full plan mood and I was having fun going though it with her but that was starting to disappear. During practice Leon wasn’t acting his usual self. I mean he yelled and drilled us to the ground but he was distracted, often having to remember what the next exercise was going to be. The others noticed it too. I thought maybe he was having an off day and hanging in the clouds probably didn’t help me see it either.

It made sense now as I stared at everything on the table. My day flying in the clouds came to an abrupt stop. My fears and doubts about what we did were back, slapping me with a dose of reality.

“It’s a response to the events from the last couple of months.”

I couldn’t say anything. I was completely speechless.

“With the information I extracted from the phone, I was able to get key numbers and after cross referencing items I was able to determine a few locations.”

I looked at the map of the city, different parts were circled either in blue or red throughout areas well outside the neighborhood. This was much bigger than us and I wondered if what we did could ever amount against this.

“I found out the acolytes are planning an attack in response to what I have done. I need your help to figure out where and when this attack will occur. I know what I am asking is hard to swallow as you may feel responsible for it.”

“Sir we were seen and caught. If anything we are the reason they know someone exist.” Jace said

“Yes but all that did was confirm the obvious, that somebody was messing up their operations.”

I finally found words to come out my mouth. “I will admit I am scared, I do feel responsible for this, but I am in this with you.”

“I am too, but Gabriel, are we capable of stopping this.”

“That’s another thing, why would the acolytes go on such a huge offensive. Sure we screwed up some of their operations, maybe caused them some thousands in loss, but to go on such an attack right from the go. That’s an awful big risk to take.”

Leon studied my question, “I was thinking the same thing but who knows with the acolytes. We just have to prepare and prevent anything from happening.”

“What do we need to do?”

Leon took a few moments before speaking. “We search and find what we can. Take over where I left off on the computer, keep in communication with me, I am going to head out and talk with some contacts to see if they know of anything. We will postpone training and make this our number one priority.”

I nodded. “Sir, how did you find out about this?”

“I have a contact at the precinct. We been exchanging information and this was one of the things that was exchanged, whether they believe it’s because of me or it’s just the acolytes intentions he felt I need to look into it.”

I was familiar with most of the officers and clerks at the precinct but I couldn’t pin anyone who would openly give information to Leon. “You believe what we all have done is the cause?.”

“Yes, now come, we have work to do.”

 

So that’s what we did every night. Training was minimal but we did spend a lot of time on Third eye. Leon went out every night to try to gain any information he could. It was tough, not only did I have to worry about doing this but I was still trying to keep myself together for everyone else and Emmalin. She was overly excited about the dance and I enjoyed seeing her that way. There was a lot of planning with it being last minute. I didn’t want to ruin this experience with her with not being involved and keeping this exciting but it was hard with the thoughts of a looming attack around and no clue to go off of. The acolytes were unpredictable, just look at the attack on the tournament, no one knew it was going to happen and even now my dad was still in the same spot in the case he was months ago. Luckily the planning process was easier than expected, Emmalin had a knack for planning and knew what she was doing, I just made sure I was there to answer or help with any questions or problems she asked.

The others noticed Jace and I distant in our thoughts time from time but I was able to keep them distracted for the most part over my story in how I asked Emmalin to the dance and the planning. It was the topic of discussion for a couple of days. Craig didn’t say much and I remembered he had also asked Emmalin, he kept quiet and at times distant from me. I didn’t know how to approach him or if I needed to. Jace felt there was no need, he was denied, I wasn’t, better man won as he put it. I agreed with Jace but he was still a friend and I felt I needed to try at least but that was another though I had to put in the back burner. My thoughts needed to be completely on the attack.

Time ticked away and it’s already been nine days. Nine days and still no information and no attack, to include no criminal activity, there was nothing. I kept thinking the calm before the storm because this was too quiet.

I sat with Emmalin in the quad going over the details of the dance. The dance was only a few days away and we wanted to make sure we were on the same page, she was in crunch time so she just wanted to make sure. I knew we were and I knew Emmalin so it didn’t bother me to go over it again.

So you’re picking me up at this time?

“Yup”

“You know our parents are going to want to take photos, like a lot of photos.”

“Naturally, my dad already has a couple SD cards ready.”

She laughed, “Then dinner?”

“Yup”

“Still not going to tell me?”

“Nope, I know what you like and I’m confident in my selection, plus it’s a surprise.”

She smiled this time, “Okay, we eat and go to dance.”

“And dance the night away, sounds good.”

Emmalin blew her hair up from her face, “Knocked this out in less than two weeks, I’m tired”

“High five”

She gave me one and laughed, “I can’t wait.”

“Neither can Gabriel,” Felicia said trying to catch missed sleep on the bench.

I smiled at Emmalin to confirm, “It’s going to be a lot of fun.”

“Good, I need to go. I still have a lot of prep work to do. I will see you later.”

I looked over at Felicia, “Stop acting so dramatic. You woke early once in your life and it’s like you’re dying.”

“The struggle is real. The sun was still down when you woke me up. That’s early.”

“Come on,” I slapped her in the leg, “The others should be here soon, we can meet up with them.”

“That’s such a far walk. Why are you torturing me?”

“Fine see you later.”

“Ugh…I’m coming.”

 

“What are you guys doing here so early, you’re usually the last ones.” Donovan asked

“Prince charming here made me come early to go over the details for his ball.” She said with a sly smile.

“Yeah that’s right around the corner, nervous?” Alec asked

“Duh, it doesn’t matter if it’s a performance, fight or this. The time before it starts falls into the same nervous category.”

“You will do fine.” Jace stated backing me up. “You always do.”

“I know. Thanks.”

“Well I am hungry, so I say let’s go get some food.”

"Oh this should be interesting." Kyra said behind me

"Uh yeah."

"What are you talking about?" I said following my sister gaze. "Jessica? What are you doing here?"

It was weird seeing her dress down from her usual fancy clothes. Granted, what she was wearing was still pretty expensive. There has been zero communication between us and to see her was a total shocker. What was she doing here? Why out of all days would she be at my school?

She ran up to me frantic, something was clearly bothering her. She needed to catch her breath. I gave a look to concern over to Jace who was just as confused as I was.

“Gabriel I needed to get here to warn you about something.” She said it low and I almost didn’t hear her but I figured she didn’t want anyone else to hear, but before she had a chance to say anything else loud popping noises overtook the noises in the hallway. I was able to recognize them instantly, getting acquainted with them as of late it wasn't hard to tell, as did a number of other people because it was causing great panic. 

"What was that?" Donovan questioning but I could tell he already knew the answer.

"Oh my god, it was a trap?" Jessica barely said loud enough for anyone to hear.

More came this time from different parts of the school, but it was hard to hear exactly from where with all the screams coming. Everyone was running, our group huddle together scared at what was happening. We needed to get out of here. 

"Come this way." I shouted and as soon as I said it Emmalin came to my mind.

I went away from where I could recognize where the shots were coming from but with everyone running in every direction it was too chaotic. I was getting bumped and pushed all over. Jessica grabbed my hand so she could steady herself. I ran over to a window and saw that some were making it outside underneath where we were. We all ran down the stairs and made a quick turn. We were almost there until Jace came next to me.

"Over there" pointing toward the other side of the quad. I could make out two guys beating on a security guard. 

"Okay" I said stopping quickly briefing the others as they looked at me confused. "Keep going and get out. Jace and I will be right behind you."

"What!" and some other things I'll leave out was said. 

"Gabriel this is no time to talk crazy. Where are you going?" Felicia asked in total disagreement. 

"I am going to help who I can and I need to make sure about Emmalin."

They were ready to argue until I said Emmalin. Jessica stood quiet and looked away at the mention of her name.

"Guys please, no time to argue, get out, call the cops, and if you see her out there let me know right away, that goes for you too Jessica." I said it firmly enough so they got the hint I was staying to help.

"I’m coming with you." 

"No you’re not, and were not arguing about this not now. I need you to get them out of here." I replied to Craig

Based on his look he was against it. I hope it was for the sake of helping people and not trying to gain the hero complex. 

"Go" I yelled at him

Jace and I raced across the quad once they turned and left. Many people were still running away making it hard for us to get through. We tried telling people to head out the south exits but we may as well been yelling at ourselves. We got into a clearing and I could see the attackers taunting the guard as he laid on the ground which made it harder to see who it was. There was blood though and right at that moment I was mad.

30 feet

How can someone do this to another person?

20 feet

Help whoever you can.

10 feet 

I'm tired of all this violence

I was in the air, my leg straight out, connecting with one of the attackers on their back. Jace had the same idea because both bodies slammed in the lockers nearly the same time, knocking them out cold. 

"Its Jeffrey" I told Jace as he scanned around seeing if any others were around.

He was hurt, given his age I was surprised, he received a decent beating but he was still breathing. I propped him against the locker and instructing Jace to check the attackers.

He went over pulling down one of their collars exposing the last thing I wanted to see. The tattoo shared by members of the acolytes, The same ones who attacked the school and the tournament.

"Gabriel" Shocked by the revelation "Is all this because of us?"

Honestly, I didn’t know, a part of me quickly felt it was but at the same time it also felt too drastic. I mean who attacks a school for two people. Could all of this really be our fault?

"Let’s get who we can and get out of here." Trying to sound controlled. "Come on, help me" Lifting Jeffrey.

We put him on our shoulders as more shots and screams were heard. We made our way toward the exit continuing to yell at people to head out. We were almost there when Craig and the others came up. 

"What are you doing back here?" I questioned.

Craig showing signs he was scared "They're blocking the exits now, I dont know, one minute it was open and then they started shooting stopping anyone from leaving."

"Hostages...”Jace whispered.

Yeah that makes sense but what was the purpose of it, again too drastic. No time now to think."We need somewhere to hide." I went through the building in my head trying to find any location that would suit all of us and any others we came across.

"The music room" Donovan confidently said, as confidant one could sound freaking out. 

"Come on" It was a good distance and more gunshots were heard. 

"Why the music room?" Craig asked as we ran. 

"Storage area." Donovan answered.

No idea what he meant, I just focused on what was ahead of me. We came across a few more acolytes and made quick work of them, taking them out by surprise and stripping their guns rendering them useless, the way Leon taught us.

I didn't realize how many people we came across until we were in the music room. There had to be at least forty people, all terrified not to mention the few that were already hidden here. The room was big, but I already felt it was too exposed. There were two entrances and even though they had little windows one step in and we would be found. “This isn’t going to work" I said aloud

"Your right this wouldn’t." Donovan started walking behind bookshelves of music books. "This will."

I came over and saw what he was referring to. I hadn’t even seen the door and even looking at it from where I was standing proved tough. It would work. The room was surprising spacious considering all the instruments inside. Forty plus teenagers and a guard and there was still enough room for more. 

Everyone was going through emotions, many of them were making phones calls to whoever, which quickly reminded me of calling Emmalin. Please pick up...the phone ranged but went to voicemail shortly after. Now wasn’t the time. I was typing a text when her name popped up on call.

“Emmalin are you okay?”

“What is going on?” Based on her response she was still in the school. “There was a bunch of gunshots and screaming.”

“The school is being attacked.”

“Why is the school being attacked?”

“I don’t know…” I quickly glanced at Jessica then Jace. “Where are you?”

“I’m in the English department. There’s others here too. What do we do?” I couldn’t help but think negative… the department is on the other side of the school.

“Everyone’s calling the police so it should be only a matter of time before they show up. Stay hidden and don’t be too loud. I don’t know what they’re here for but stay hidden.” Jace looked at me realizing Emmalin was in no better condition than we were.

“Okay we will…what about you? Where are…” The line died.

I looked at my phone as it read no signal. I looked around seeing everyone was experiencing the same thing.

“My phone cut off”

“So did mine”

“What is going on?”

What was going on? This was too much, too risky. Could what we did really be the cause of all this. My nightmare was now a reality. We failed to get any information on the attack and now I was standing right in the middle of it, no communication, and no plan, everyone I care about in danger. The one reason I started this, was now staring me in the face with fear. I have to protect them. I have to do something.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



© 2016 Luix Rives


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
Added on January 20, 2016
Last Updated on January 20, 2016


Author

Luix Rives
Luix Rives

Las Vegas, NV



About
I have countless dreams and an endless imagination that I want to share. I enjoy writing stories and making something that I can say, yeah that was me :)~ more..

Writing