Love Me Not
1986, Penny Herrera falls into the predatory clutches of Matt, an older man who has no other intention than to alter Pen
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by Luix Rives

"So did you about that robbery that took place yesterday at a Martial Arts School?"

"Yeah the one where two students and a teacher beat up the robbers"

"How great was that?"

"For those who haven't heard the story, it was all over the news yesterday night, three robbers attempted to rob a martial art school. Two students and a teacher had finish with classes when they barged in. and guess what instead of walking out stealing money they walked out with a butt whoopin."

Laughing throughout

"This story interested me when I first heard it. So I did some research and the two students were apparently two sixteen year olds. A Gabriel Luis and a Jace Monke."

"Sixteen year olds!? Oh wow, I need to sign my kid there if sixteen year olds are thwarting of robbers."

More laughing

"Man, you should have seen the mug photos, they weren't pretty"

"Wow that's crazy, see if you can pull them up now."

"Now get this these two are huge competitors in the Martial Arts Circuit held out here by John Ritz. In fact they both are considered the best of the best. This one Gabriel is liked ranked number one."

"Talk about picking the wrong place to rob."

"Yeah no kidding." 

"Well, audience what do you think? We’re taking calls right now..."

I click off the radio

"Hey I was listening to that" Felicia moaned

"You been listening to that since yesterday. I even gave you firsthand accounts." I replied back

"And? It’s not every day this happens. I mean recognition for beating people up, yes. Recognition for beating up robbers, never. I wonder if anyone will realize it’s you and Jace."

"Prolly not" 

"I wouldn't be so sure." I said parking.

Durango high School, home of the trailblazers, with their purple and gold colors, the school was huge in comparison to other High Schools. It needed to be to house over two thousand students. Multiple hallways and floors. The entire team attended school here. Jace, Craig and I were juniors while the others rounded out sophomores and freshman. Now I wouldn't say I was popular. I knew my fair share of people but I didn’t make it a priority to be on the school’s sports team or go to any parties. My focus has always been martial arts. Even with the Circuit out in Vegas it still didn’t bring the sort of attention one might get for being on the school’s football team. So the attention I was receiving was overwhelming as I was making my way into the school. People were making gestures as I was walking by, others came up to me and ask straight out if I was the Gabriel in the news. Felicia was quick to answer yes to everyone and even take it upon herself to let people know I was the Gabriel on the news. Even the teachers in class were asking questions about what happened. 

It was a lot to take in but I was finally getting to my physics class. Emmalin would be there and I could easily talk to her getting away from the chaos for a while. I was happy to see her at our work station but she was not appearing too happy to see me as I was walking up. She had her auburn hair tied in a ponytail, with Capri pants and a school shirt. She was a lot more school spirited that most of the students at school, and a whole lot more than I was.

"You can't return any of my phone calls?" She said as she hit me, talking louder than she anticipated. Everyone in the classroom was giving us looks.

"Yeah, sorry before I realized to look at my phone it was already late." This was true.

"I didn't care what time it was." She was talking in more hush voice but still forceful, "I was worried sick about you. I hear your name and robbers attacking the school over the news and I don't hear anything from you."

"I'm sorry, if anything like that ever happens again you will be the first one I call. I promise." I said assuring.

It calmed her down a bit but she was still clearly upset. "Okay thank you. That's all I ask. Oh and Hi."

I smiled, "Hi."

I was going to ask about her weekend when Craig came into class and ran over to our table. Craig was a little shorter than I was with a smaller frame. He had jet black hair that was always puffed up and combed back. His skin never could determine what color it wanted to be. It would be tan one day and pale the next. We have been friends since I first moved out here and have been competitors for just as long. 

"So did you hear about what happened with Gabriel?" Craig immediately asked directing his question to Emmalin.

"Yes about the robbery that he didn’t bother calling me about. I had to find out from the news and still hadn’t heard a thing from him till now." She answered.

"I said I was sorry" I managed to say

"No not that, even though that was cool, I'm so jealous. No I meant the fact he was dancing with a girl at the banquet and get this he was all googly eye." Craig said enthusiastically. A little too enthusiastically.

I've seen Emmalin mad at me before so I knew right away.

"You danced with someone?" She asked looking dead at me. No emotion, except anger and what almost seemed like hurt. 

"It's not what it sounds like, the banquet for the tournament. There was this girl there and she practically dragged me to the dance floor. It was nothing." I said hoping it was enough and it may have been if it wasn't for Craig "That's not what I heard, Gabriel here has some dancing moves and it was on full display that night."

Emmalin didn’t make a comment she simply grabbed her stuff "I’m going to work with Tanya today, Craig. So you can work with Gabriel and catch up." and walked away to the front of class.

"She looks upset." Craig said after a moment of silence

"Yeah, thanks for that." I replied. 

"She's cute when she’s angry." he said dreamily. I was aware Craig had a crush on Emmalin and probably thought what he did just now wasn’t a big deal. I could have yelled at him and it would have made me feel a little better but I chose not to. I didn’t like this feeling, I felt bad and at the moment with everything going on it wasn’t making my day any better. Emmalin knew first hand why I didn’t bother dancing at any event. It’s why I didn’t attend any of the school dances. She tried to a few times but I was always against it. I hated admitting when my sister was right about something. It was clear Emmalin was bothered by it. 

"You think she would say yes if I ask her to the prom?"

"You can ask." I clearly was not in the mood to have this discussion with him.

"I think I will"

"Before you do that you need to worry about fighting me at the tournament this weekend." I quickly changed the subject. "Where were you yesterday?"

"I woke up late" It sounded like an excuse "But I wish I was there, I could have had the experience of beating up robbers." 

"It's nothing to be excited about." I meant it; there was nothing exciting about being attacked. So I defended myself, if it hadn’t been for Leon reacting the way he did, I don’t know where I would be right now.

"Are you kidding? I’m so jealous. Everyone is talking about you and Jace. You know what kind of recognition that is? You know how many people want to go to Prom with you guys now?" He said astonished. "It’s crazy."

I left the conversation at that and just focused on our experiment for class. We had to build a boat out of paper and see how many coins it could hold before it sunk. Ours didn’t last too long. I couldn’t get my mind into it after the way the day was going. Luckily class sped by, for the exception Emmalin who was still ignoring me. I tried talking to her again but that didn’t work.

Lunch came around and I met everyone at our usual spot in the cafeteria. Jace was there and he pretty much looked the same way I was feeling. The others though were in full conversation mode talking about how many people were asking about us, like it was some campaign and they were our publicist   

I wanted to talk to Jace but in private. Judging from the curious looks around us, we weren’t going to have any of that soon. I will have to wait until later, maybe tonight in class. 

The rest of the day was the same. More questions from classmates and teachers, whispers and finger pointing, and being ignored from Emmalin. I couldn’t wait to get home. In the car Felicia was tired out from all the talking she apparently did in my behalf. 

When I got home I could hear my dad from the other side on the house. “No I will not have him call you for an interview.” And hung up.

“Reporters?

“and everybody else.” He said frustrated. “Phone hasn’t stopped ringing all day.”

“Thanks Dad.”

“Don’t mention it, hopefully it all dies down soon. How was school?” He asked

“Exhausting.” Felicia replied as she laid out on the couch.

“She pretty much summed it up.” I added.

My dad looked at me and could tell I wasn’t in the mood to talk about it but he understood. “Give it time.”

I nodded. I didn’t have time to stick around through, I grabbed my uniform and was out the house again. Jace and I were opening he school today and I was going to talk to him the best time would be now.

It would have been the best time if the school wasn’t surrounded by reporters. Leon was there trying to bring the chaos in order but it failed as soon as I pulled in. The reporters rushed the car not giving me any chance of getting out of my car. It actually took a few minutes for them to realize I was trapped and needed to get out. As soon as I was out the questions were asked by the dozens with microphones and tape recorders being shoved in my face. I had to push my way through but I did eventually make it next to Leon.

“Please we have a business to run.” Leon was saying to everyone.

“We just want a few statements and then we’ll go.” One reporter said aloud while others agreed.

I took a glance at Leon and he was looking at me to see if I was okay with it. I nodded, thinking if it will get them to leave then fine a few questions.

“Okay, a few questions then we need to continue with our business with no distractions please.” Leon confirmed.

A man in a blue suit, tan skin, and light blond hair was the first one to respond. “Hi my name is Kenny Martin from channel three. The robbers in connection with the incident are known associates of the gang the acolytes.”

“Could you repeat the name of the gang again?” Leon asked

“The acolytes. They are known for being a ruthless group and some wonder if any retaliation would be in play because of this incident.” He finished.

Leon began answering right away. “Hopefully that’s not the case; we are taking action with local law enforcement to prevent any such idea. Next”

A female reporter was next, "Hi, Jolene Sanders reporting from channel 8. Some say that the action taken from you could have been avoided. Simply put, it shouldn't have been up to your discretion to dictate the lives of others especially teenagers."

I was even surprised by the question. How can someone think that situation could have been avoided if nothing was done? It was because something was done I was standing here listening to this crazy question. I could tell it was bothering Leon. He took a deep breath before answering. 

"The actions that were taken I felt were necessary, and if for some reason I felt other steps could have been taken then I wouldn't have done it."

"But why put kids in danger? What do the parents think of your so called action?"

At this point, the way the day was going already, listening to this reporter asks these ridiculous questions, I couldn't stay quiet anymore.

"Excuse me." Immediately catching everyone’s attention. "Were any one of you there when this happened?" No one responded. "I knew who was there and what happened. Anybody can go around and say what if scenarios but unless you were there first hand there should be no judgment on what decision was made. I can say this much, I was in a dangerous situation and I was scared. But because of him." Pointing at Leon. "I am standing here today. So please, before you judge know, and I speak on the behalf of Jace, we are much appreciative on how things turned out yesterday. Now if you please allow us to continue with our business that will be great." 

I could hear a few reporters try to ask a few more questions but I was already walking into the school. Jace was already inside stretching on the floor. 

"Crazy huh." He said as he saw me come in. 

"One way of putting it." I replied walking to the changing area.

Leon came in clearly frustrated from what was happening outside. He gathered himself as he was motioning us to come into his office.

His office wasn’t the biggest. It barely had room for his desk, metal cabinet and two sitting chairs. Papers were overflowing on the corner of his desk in the needs filing holder. The room looked messier than it actually was given the space it was working with. 

As we sat Leon didn’t say anything at first, he was just staring at us. After a few seconds he finally started talking. "How are you guys? With everything going on? I know it’s a lot to take in."

Jace was looking at me, so I went first. "For the most part I'm still trying to take it in. With everything happening it’s definitely an overwhelming feeling." 

Leon didn't reply he kept quiet and took it in. I continued "It's weird how people are responding to this, like we did something phenomenal. Yes we helped beat up robbers, but I don’t feel like its cause for celebration."

"Yeah pretty much what he said" Jace jumped in adding "Things could have gone a lot different yesterday but luckily it didn’t." 

"Yes, it feels awkward gaining recognition for what you did. A part of you should embrace it but I also commend the fact you’re looking at it the way you are." Leon began” Not everyone will experience what you two went through.”

“It’s weird I guess we should be happy our years of training paid off and we were able to go to it in a real life situation but at the same time I think what gets me is the fact we actually had to use it.” Jace said.

“I can see that, you learn so you are knowledgeable of the techniques and skills, you are trained to avoid such conflicts but there are times they do arise.” Leon followed.

Something else was bothering me. What the reporter said about retaliation. “Do you think the school is going to be affected in any way because of this incident?”

Leon was quiet, he clearly been wondering the same thing. “I don’t know, just like you this is something new to the school and how it will have an impact on the school is unknown. All we can do is hope for the best and continue on, that is of course you guys need time off. It would be completely understandable.”

I didn’t want any time off; if anything I needed to keep myself busy. The tournament was still this weekend and the condition of the school was still in question. In time of need I was going to do what I can to help. Jace felt the same way.

“We’re fine.” I said

“Plus we have a tournament to win this weekend.” Jace finished

All Leon did was smile.

 

 



© 2015 Luix Rives


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

123 Views
Added on December 29, 2015
Last Updated on December 29, 2015


Author

Luix Rives
Luix Rives

Las Vegas, NV



About
I have countless dreams and an endless imagination that I want to share. I enjoy writing stories and making something that I can say, yeah that was me :)~ more..

Writing