Chapter 20

Chapter 20

A Chapter by Luix Rives

Beep…

What was that?

….Beep

It was constant and consistent.

Beep…

I was able to count the span of time between each beep. Do I know this beep? It was hard to tell, how long has it been beeping... seemed like forever. I wanted to open my eyes to see what it was but they were heavy. I tried many times before with the same result.

It was dark for the time being. Sooner or later I was going to be greeted with the memories of everything that’s happened and sure enough they came. I relived every moment that’s happened over and over again. Different angles different scenarios.

Beep

That beeping was the only that was constant throughout everything but I couldn’t figure out what it was.

Open your eyes…

I want to but the darkness, it was comforting in a way, it was really the only peace I was able to find since everything started. The dance, I was reliving the dance now. My posture was really stiff. I seemed like I was having fun. Is that really me or is this just a wild dream? The dream went away and I was back in darkness, my body relaxed.

Did I fall? I did…I remember falling…then I ended up here in the darkness. Did I die….no? The beeping…

Beep

I felt something, where did it come from. I tried reacting but my body didn’t respond. I tried to move my arm…nothing. I didn’t like this feeling, I put all my focus again on my arm…nothing again. Why couldn’t I move my body? My chest started compressing in fear. I wanted to yell but my mouth went against it.

“Stay calm it’s the adrenaline you’re experiencing. It will pass.”

Come on Gabriel open your eyes…I couldn’t, it just got worse. Attacks, Adam’s face before the explosion, the training sessions, the apartments, the school. It all blended into a mix of memories.

Beep…

I found myself focusing on the beeping, it was familiar. It actually was calming me down. My breathing was still heavy but it was working.

There it was again the feeling…it was warm…I wanted it, it was nice. Come on control yourself, control your breathing, concentrate.

Beep…

After a while my breathing slowed and I was no longer freaking out. I still couldn’t move and it was scary but I didn’t let it take over again. Seconds past or maybe hours, I couldn’t tell but the warm feeling came back, it stayed around this time embracing me in its warmest.

Beep…

This was different, these memories. The group, dad, Leon, Jessica, and Emmalin. I saw them happy every time I was with them. Then I saw them sad, each coping with each on a tragedy…Was I the tragedy? No

Open your eyes

The warmth was still there and it was getting stronger. I couldn’t stay here, I have too many people waiting for me. I still have to protect them. It was time to get out of here. I wanted to see them all again. I put all my focus in myself as the warmth was embracing me in its light.

Again Gabriel…

 

My eyes open to a shallow light. It hurt and took me a couple of minutes to get them adjusted. After they did, I let my other senses catch up.

Beep…

I turned my neck to see where it was coming from, with great struggle, my neck was really stiff. There it was the source of all the beeping, it was the heart monitor that was hooked up to me. So that was my familiar comforting sound, I wanted to laugh but everything hurt too much to allow it. Whatever it worked, but it answered my question, I was in a hospital.

My eyes were more adjusted, the room was dark but there was a small source of light coming from the other side. I turned to see Felicia sitting next to me watching a movie on her tablet. Her headphones were on and she was watching her favorite movie. I started watching with her as one of my favorite parts was coming up. I tried adjusting myself to get a better position but it felt like I was moving two tons of weight. Yeah I was beyond sored and beat. So that plan was postponed.

I went back to the movie and continued to watch it, going through the lines in my head. This time my body allowed me to laugh as we both laughed at the same time. The headphones must have not been loud because she was startled turning quickly to me. I was looking back her wide eyed and a small smile on my face.

“Gabriel” She screamed out, jumping on top of me, trying to wrap her arms around me. It was nice but it hurt even more.

“You’re awake. Let me get dad or a nurse or something.” She got up and was halfway to the door before I was able to stop her.

“Hey not yet. Come here and help me sit up.”

She did with great struggle on both of parts.

“Bro, you finally woke up. I was starting to get a little worried.”

It was an unusual comment. “How long was I out?”

“Three days, bro.”

“Woah three days? What the?” Grabbing my side at the pain from my sudden jolt.

“Yeah after you went all hero, which by the way has been the talk of the city, dude you were freaking amazing.” She continued on the media attention, the recognition that students and parents wanted to give to Jace and I, she went on completely leaving the question elsewhere.

I smiled as she continued. “Felicia, three days?”

“Oh yeah, when you took your fall, we all got a good full of that one…”

“I vaguely remember.”

“…you were out. At first the docs thought you were just knocked out, but after a while they couldn’t explain it, it was like your body went into temporary shutdown mode. It was really worrying everyone as more time passed.”

It explained the darkness and where I was but I didn’t tell Felicia that. I just took everything she said.

“What happened? Did they get away? Did dad catch them?”

Felicia just shook her head. I was surprised to see that answer, there was no way they just slipped by. Felicia was able to explain the answer to me. It was a good one too, it was an actual a very impressive exit strategy. The acolytes had multiple attacks occur at the same time near the pickup time. Multiple explosions occurred throughout the attack to thin out the police.

“Wow…that is pretty good. Did anyone get hurt?”

“Some were injured but all the attacks were distractions.”

“Get out.”

“Dad was pissed.”

We talked about it a little bit, it was actually good topic of discussion during my time out. No one has seen Charli or Jason since. Tiny was arrested but like everyone else he was select on his answers as he sat away in county jail. I wanted to know more but it would probably be better to talk with Jace and Leon. I’m sure Leon would have a lot more information. I changed the subject to talk about something else.

 “How’s Jace?”

“He’s good, he was let go yesterday. He actually just left. He looks better than you.” That was good to hear he was doing good.

“Who was all here?”

“More like who wasn’t here? Craig…dude done upped and disappeared once word got out about his little stunt.” She went on talking her point of view of what happened. She was getting worked up just talking about it and if it wasn’t for the pain I was in I probably would have been just as bad. “But I’m guessing that’s not who you meant.” Passing off the anger she just had. “Jessica showed up. She couldn’t stay long though but you can tell she was worried sick, she kept thanking dad for you saving her life. John Ritz told dad he was going to pay for all the medical bills.” Part of me wondered if that was his way of trying to suck up but I left alone for now, at least we didn’t have to worry about that.

“She’s gone though.”

“What do you mean?”

“Mr. Ritz explained it wasn’t safe for her to be here so he was sending her out of town where she could be. She was hoping she could catch you awake but that never came.”

Huh so just like that she was out of my life, never got a chance to fully talk about everything that happened. I understood his decision to get her to safety but what a life change. Three days was a long time to be out. Three days? It hit me, the dance was a couple days away when the school was attacked, it was likely cancelled but where was Emmalin then?

“What about Emmalin?”

Felicia smiled, “The dance is still on.” Almost as if she was reading my mind.

“What? How? With the school being attacked and all?”

Felicia sat up and began explaining. The dance was originally cancelled for obvious reasons but many of the school rallied against it. Everyone was looking at the dance as something we should be doing together almost like a celebration for making it through the attack together. There wasn’t one person who was in charge but many were involved including Emmalin. She had kept Felicia posted on most of the events. It sounded like her but wow the idea of getting everyone together and getting the dance was impressive.

“They had some issues?

“What do you mean?”

“Mainly on the location, it wasn’t right to have it at the school so securing a place on short notice was the problem, but once it hit the news, donors were lining up to cash in on the publicity but there was one who came out and took care of everything.”

“John Ritz?”

“Suprisingly no, we all thought the same thing since you saved his daughter and it made the most sense, but he was open about wanting to do something and even offered his hotel, but its unknown who made the donation. The school and local news all received the information that everything was taken care of.”

An unknown donor? Who would do such an amazing contribution for us? I had theories but Emmalin was on my mind.

“She’s getting ready for the dance. She fought tough and nail with us to convince her to go, she didn’t want to leave your side.” Felicia nodded her head to the right side of my bed. I followed her nod and saw the picture we took at the fair in a picture frame. I felt a smile creep up on my face. So she was here. Of course she was here.

“I like that picture.”

My sister looked at me and then picture and then back at me. “Bro?”

“Yeah.”

“It’s nice to have you back.”

“Umm….Thanks. I was only gone for a couple days.”

“That’s not what I meant.” I knew she didn’t but I wanted to hear what she meant, it wasn’t like her to be open like that. “I meant since mom, you been different and even though you don’t want to admit it, you weren’t exactly you.”

I could tell I have changed over the past couple of months because of what’s happened. This life surprisingly has given me a new perspective in it. “I know what you mean. I had some time to come to the realization I need to enjoy the now, that’s what mom would have wanted.”

Felicia smiled. “Good, but I been wanting to ask does this new found realization have anything to do with the new curriculum Leon has been putting you through.” I gave her look, well I was surprised she made that type of implication. “I’m not dumb bro and you may be sneaky but you’re not perfect.”

I looked at her with a blank stare, I didn’t know how to respond. We were having a moment but I still felt like I shouldn’t tell her about my life as an unknown.

“Come on, you didn’t think I noticed every night you were missing from your bedroom. Your body changing to what is now, you were always in shape but now is like wow.” I chuckled at that response. “Just whatever you’re doing, and you don’t have to tell me, just be careful.”

She looked at me and I could tell she really meant it. Part of me wanted to question if she was able to pin together everything, there was enough clues for her but she didn’t press on as she waited for a response.

“I will.” There was silence between us as I looked at her. I could tell it was eating at her.

“You’re not going to tell me are you?”

“Not now.” I laughed, “But I do need your help with something as I was looking at the picture again. I need dad to get me out of here.  

She knew exactly what I was planning on doing and she was all in. “You know dad isn’t going to like that, let alone the doctor.”

“Yeah I am working on that, but this is important. How fast can you get ready?”

She grinned. “You know it doesn’t take me long.”

“Alright we have to be quick, we got a dance to get to.”

“Hell yeah we do.”

 

 



© 2016 Luix Rives


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

128 Views
Added on February 6, 2016
Last Updated on February 6, 2016


Author

Luix Rives
Luix Rives

Las Vegas, NV



About
I have countless dreams and an endless imagination that I want to share. I enjoy writing stories and making something that I can say, yeah that was me :)~ more..

Writing