Chapter 22

Chapter 22

A Chapter by Luix Rives

The night ended shortly as I kept my end of the deal. I promised both my dad and the doctor I would be back to the hospital and I was. I let them run their test, to prove I was fine. It sucked as my mind continuously went back to that moment when we were outside.

“I will be there tomorrow.” Emmalin said

“You better.” I smiled as I was entering dad’s car.

Ugh…I tried making the best out of it though. I had constant visitors keep me company, Jace and Leon came by often, we never had a chance to talk about anything because someone was always there. They didn’t seem worried so it was nice to not have to worry and just have this momentary escape. Sleep was still nonexistent but that was nothing new.

I was finally discharged a couple days later and I hoped the hyped died down since then but it didn’t. I had a nice welcome back party at the studio, word had spread of our heroics. Parents and students praised the feat we accomplished. Even school was different, there was no avoiding the recognition among the students, even some of the faculty looked for me to thank me personally. It was nice to see everyone happy, safe and past the attack. I took it in as I knew it was going to be short lived. Leon, Jace, and I single handedly stopped an acolyte attack, stopping whatever plan they had set up. I believed they weren’t the type of faction to just sit back and let that happen. Sure they never expected us to be the ones to thwart their plans but I couldn’t see them just mark it up as a loss. I finally had an opportunity to sit down and talk with them and they said the acolytes have made no movements since the attack on the school. It was as if they just disappeared for the time being. My dad also confirmed this when I brought it up to him. It was weird but I didn’t expect it to be that easy, it hasn’t been and I was sure it wasn’t going to start now. Those fears were eating away at me and I didn’t want to continue to put those I love in danger. It already happened once and I was lucky nothing happened to them, but I couldn’t sit back knowing what I know now.

“I never got to ask about the dance.” Jace and I was standing on the roof of the studio. He caught me off guard with the statement. “Kyra and Felicia were all girly about it, seriously as if they were watching a Hallmark movie unfold in front of them.”

“Yeah, I really enjoyed that night. It was really something special.”

“I bet you did, you two were spending a lot of time together since, are you guys a couple yet?”

I honestly didn’t know. We did spend a lot of time together but we never brought up the subject. I was actually real nervous about it, fight acolytes, challenge huge guys named Tiny, but talk to my best friend Emmalin about our relationship status was the hardest thing out of all of them. It made no sense to me but it was what was happening.

“We still get nervous about it, I think more me but still I haven’t yet. Now that she’s in Ohio for the summer, I won’t be able to until she gets back.” I was more old fashion in that department, I didn’t like the idea of doing things like that over the phone, to me that was a more in person thing.

“Grandma’s, right?”

“Yeah.”

“Staying in contact with her?”

“Constant.”

“Well one day I guess, I mean it makes sense, you’re a fighter, so you still need work on the lover department.” Jace then asked about Jessica but I still haven’t heard anything from her and I didn’t expect I would. I wondered if my last image of Jessica would be me throwing her out of a helicopter. It was a lasting memory.

Leon stopped our conversation by walking up to us. It was our first night back since the attack, he called us to meet him here tonight and we made sure we were going to be here. He was in full gear as if he was ready to make his rounds. Jace told me Leon still went around even though there was no activity happening, but he hadn’t really talked much about it, he really hadn’t talked much about anything, and since the attack on the school he’s been somewhat distant.

“I asked you to meet me here because I wanted to talk to you.” I listened closely to what he had to say, his tone of voice sounded different almost like when he first told me about him being the unknown, unsure. “I constantly have found myself arguing if I made the right decision on introducing you into this. I brought you here to help protect yourself and keep you safe, but danger seems to find you.”

“Sir, it pretty much knows where we’re at.” Jace interjected. It was hard to read Leon’s reaction under his mask but I pictured him smiling underneath it.

“Sir before you speak, I want to say something.” He didn’t say anything as I started. “You told us this life was going to be difficult, you didn’t undersell that. It’s actually been really scary.” Jace was nodding in agreement. “ I have trouble sleeping at night, I hurt more often than not, I am possibly going to need a blood transfusion sometime in the future, I’ve gone through countless ranges of emotion but I want to thank you every day for what you have done me…us.”

I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I first started this. I actually believed I was going to be some sort of superhero but I learned quickly it was never going to be like that but I am ready for anything that will be thrown at me. Jace continued on and felt the same exact way I did.

Leon didn’t say anything he just walked by us and leaned against the railing overlooking the surrounding neighborhoods and beyond that the Strip of casinos and hotels our city was known for. It was actually a really nice view I never knew existed. We followed suit and stood next to him looking out in silence. It wasn’t for a few minutes before he started talking again. “I blame myself for everything, the attack at the tournament, the school, your near death. You are right this life is hard, I am also learning through this process. I never imagine I would get you two involved but you two have held your own. I fought with myself countless times on whether this was the right decision but every time I do you two go out and do something incredible.”

He started looking up and I followed his gaze. The stars were really out tonight, I couldn’t remember the last time I took the time to really look at them.

“I don’t know what the future holds for us but I’m glad you two are going to be there next to me.”

It felt good hearing that from Leon. “Sir, what now? There’s still many questions left unanswered about what’s going.” We already informed him of what we learned at the school but it still many holes on what was going. One thing was for sure they were going after Leon.

Leon looked at both us before he started, almost as to prepare us for what he was going to say. “This isn’t the end. The acolytes are not going to take this lightly and we have to be ready for whatever they do but continue to try to neutralize them. This will not be easy and what I ask is not to be taken lightly.”

I had time to think about this leading up to tonight. Everything that happened starting with Jessica. My body has bruises and cuts, I felt aches and pains every time I made a move, there is a constant fear of failing, fear of what the future may bring, but now I can fight next to that fear and use it. I am able to protect those I love and bring to justice to those that deserve it.

“In the darkness we lie to protect those in the light

To accept the sacrifice of one’s self to help those who can’t

Regardless of fear and pain we fight together

We are few and act as one

We are the light”

Leon stood up patting both us in the back. “Couldn’t have said it better. Now, we have a lot of work to do. The acolytes have been quiet but I’m sure that won’t last long. We also have a new concern.”

Jace and I looked at each then at Leon. “We’re ready for it.”

“Good. The police department is now assigning a new task force to take down the acolytes.”

“Well that’s good.” Said Jace.

“To include any leads on vigilantes. They plan to announce it within the next couple of days” Leon finished.

“Oh…”

“Now as I mentioned we have a lot of work to do, first beginning with recapping everything that happened during the school attack.”

We started making our way back in, “We already gave you all the information from there.”

“Yes, but we need to go over what could have gone differently. Constructive criticism if you will, then we train.”

“Yes sir.”



© 2016 Luix Rives


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
Added on February 15, 2016
Last Updated on February 15, 2016


Author

Luix Rives
Luix Rives

Las Vegas, NV



About
I have countless dreams and an endless imagination that I want to share. I enjoy writing stories and making something that I can say, yeah that was me :)~ more..

Writing