Chapter 8

Chapter 8

A Chapter by Luix Rives

So much for sleep, I started out okay but the flashbacks made it short lived. I sat up in bed, sun still tucked away for a couple more hours. My head still in a craze, I took a deep breath. What was going on? Two attacks, both within close proximity of each other, Leon being the unknown, deaths. Just a couple of weeks ago life seemed complicated but this was crazy, and what possessed me to say yes so quickly, it was such an impulse response, I don’t even know what I was getting myself into. Sure, each time I was in the thick of things I was able to come out victorious, stopping a robbery and helping Jessica, yeah I was impressed with what I was capable of doing but at the same time I had never been so scared in my life.

Leon wanted me to think about it but how? Is this some chance to be a hero? I always pitted the unknown as a hero, doing things that no one else was brave enough to do but could I see myself doing what he does. Sure I day dream about being a hero with my imagination but it was only a dream. What was Leon going to teach me? How does he even know what to teach? Where did he learn all of it? It didn’t make sense. He said to protect you, so did he mean just teach to that capacity or was I going to be an unknown like him. The more I thought about it the more frustrated I got.

What was I thinking? Could I believe I can really do what he does…? I thought about all the news reports from the past months that have been connected with the unknown. It was tough picturing Leon but it was even harder picturing me doing the same thing. I just wanted to scream as Adam’s body flashed in my mind again.

I felt a cold shiver run up my body….hero… that’s the word I pinned together when I thought of the unknown. I ran my fingers through my hair, a bit of sweat had built up as I reached my neck. I realized I was shaking, I tried taking another deep breath, breathe in and out. Attacking those men, both at the school and tournament, what power did that come from? So many thoughts, all fighting for its own attention, clouded by the feel of the explosion…so much for sleep.

When I finally made my way to the living room I turned on the TV to see what the news was saying. I missed the initial reports yesterday but the next day news had more than enough information. It showed the hotel, where the blast originated from, what type of explosive was used, and about a hundred other details.

“Theres still a lot of questions in why this attack occurred but it has forced owner John Ritz to postpone all further activities until unsaid time.” The screen showed various pictures of the damage caused by the explosion. “He has also took it upon himself to help those families of lost loved ones. The initial reports show nine were killed and many more injured. It is still unknown the reasoning for the attack. The cops do have a few suspects in custody but at this time they have given little information. We hope to learn more soon.”

The garage door was opening. My dad was just getting home from yesterday. He looked like you typical old school detective you would see on TV shoes. Thick mustache, liked wearing a trench coat, even still carried around a six shooter. He walked in and looked way past tired. He was surprised to see me in the living room but then turned his attention to the TV.

“How are you? Are you feeling any better?”

My face must have been responsive enough because he continued.

“I don’t know how you feel but I can imagine you’re dealing with a lot. If you need to talk you know I am here. I see things and know things can stick with you. Best way I found is to talk about it.”

I had a lot of questions I wanted to ask…”Did you find out who did it?”

My dad had a struggled look. I knew he wasn’t allowed to divulge information about ongoing cases but I saw he was arguing with himself. “We were able to identify them as part of the acolytes.”

“The same that tried robbing us from the studio?”

“Yes, the very same.”

“What was their reason?”

“That they didn’t say. For low life criminals they were particular about the words they used. Gabriel, what do you remember about what happened? You stated you went after the daughter of John Ritz. What happened?”

He did his detective thing on me and turned this into me giving my recollection of the events. “After I came to I heard Jessica screaming, it caught my attention, I reacted, and went after them. I didn’t think about it, I just went after her. She was in danger, I would have done if it was anyone, it just happened to be her.”

My dad looked at what almost looked like a proud parent but then he was lost in thought for a brief moment. “Off subject is there something going on between you two?”

I gave my dad another look, “no dad. It’s only the second time I seen her. She was in trouble, I went after her. There was a lot going on and she was the first one I saw in trouble.”

My dad rubbed his beard and started pressing his lips. It was one of his habits when he was in deep thought about something.

“Dad?” It brought him back to the moment. “What’s your thoughts on the unknown?”

My dad wasn’t quick to answer but he did. “You know how I feel about this unknown. Its just a hoax.”

I know as a cop he wanted me to stay away from any influences that he felt was a bad example. Even though deep down I know he was on board with the unknown he wasn’t going to ever let me know. “Hypothetically then, lets just say someone is out there and bringing light to whats happening in this area of our home. All these unexplained events the past couple of months.”

He looked at me. I was serious about my question and given whats happened if it had been any other time I don’t think he would have given me an answer. “Hypothetically you know how I feel about the law”

“You feel the law should be handled by officers.”

“Yes, when someone starts to take it upon themselves to do something that is the responsibility of the law the lines can be blurred. They believe they are doing good by doing what they believe is right but in actuality they are doing things against the law. Also imagine if others start try to follow suit and try to take it upon themselves to go against the likes of the acolytes. Its just opening a floodgate of issues.”

It was the typical answer I expected him to say. He got up yawning as he made his way to his room. He stopped at the stair case before beginning his ascent. “It is nice to see someone trying to make a difference but there are legal ways of doing it and that’s what I am against the unknown, speaking hypothetically.” There was a little bit of silence until dad broke it. “Are you okay with going to school tomorrow?

“Yeah, its probably best being around everyone.”

He nodded then continued upstairs. I went back to the TV and let my mind race even more.

 

School the next morning was gloomy at best. The overall atmosphere was sad at the lost of Adam. He was well known and it was obvious everyone by now heard the news of the attack and his death. There was a moment of silence for him and the others lost during the attack held during the morning announcement. A small virgil was even being built at his locker. Flowers, pictures, and assortment of items around his locker. I had been standing there for a couple of minutes taking it all in. I was the last one to see him before everything happened. My mind started going back but Emmalin came up next to me.

“How are you?”

Ï’ve been better.”

Adam’s girlfriend stood next to the virgil as people came up to her giving their condolences. My body tense as the realization of how my photos could have been the one on the locker. No, here I am though alive and well becuase Adam’s body shielded the blunt of the blast from me.

“Gabriel stop doing that to yourself. As much as you try you shouldn’t feel guilty. No one knew that was going to happen.” She kept her voice low to keep from anyone around us hearing. She took my hand and gave a squeeze. I welcomed the touch as I looked at her, it helped and relaxed my body.

“Your right. Its just scary to see what a couple of feet difference makes.”

“Gabriel?” Adam’s girlfriend stood in front of me now, I didn’t even notice her walking up to me.  “Hi I’m Stephanie. We never really met before but I was told you were there when….you know.”

I held my breath a little, “Yes I was.”

She started tearing up. “Can I ask you something?”

Öf course.”

“Can you tell me what happened?”

I was taken back. I barely had enough in me to think about it. Emmalin gripped my arm knowing I was not expecting that question.

Stephanie swallowed.”I understand it may be hard for you but part of the reason is for me but its mostly for his parents. They have taken his death the hardest and I believe anything would help them.”

Emmalin tugged on my arm. I didn’t need to look at her to know we were thinking the same thing. This was more than just my sanity. This affected those who were much closer to Adam. I looked around and saw no one was paying us any attention and those that wanted to approach kept the distance as if they knew what we were talking about was very important and only meant for us. I told Stephanie everything, how we were paired together in the first round. We both found excitement starting off against each other, we even shared grins. It was going to be a great way to start off the tournament, then it all happened before we had a chance to start. I kept the details to a minimum. Just with what I was saying I saw tears streaming down her face causing Emmalin to comfort her midway through. I even found myself having trouble keeping it in.

Afterwards she hugged me. “Thank you.”She stepped back wiping her face. “You know Adam talked often about you. Most of the time it was about beating you.”She gave a small chuckle at the memory. “But he talked very highly of you as well. He even said he could have seen you two as best friends under different circumstance.”Stephanie started to tear up again and gave a small smile. Ï’m happy he at least went with a smile on his face…I just hope who ever did this pays for it.

I grabbed her shoulders. “He was part of my life as well. I have him to thank for pushing myself to be the person I am today and don’t worry those that did this will get what they deserve.”

“Thank you” She smiled and nodded Ï should get back.”

Emmalin looked at me with a concerned look but before she could get into it the bell rang. “Come on I will walk you to class.” She didn’t follow up with whatever question she was going to ask.

 

Jace was already sitting at the table in our physics class. I was one of the last ones to arrive with enough seconds to spare. Mr. Ruble jumped right to it when the bell rang. I sat next to Jace who had been particularly quiet the entire day but he gave me a nod. “You look better.”

“I just had an epiphany moment.”

He gave me a strange look.

 “I’ll tell you about later.”

Class went on and Mr. Ruble was talking about how you could tell the speed of an object passing a plane. He drew a diagram on the board of a car on a hill with different plot points and formulas to determine the speed when it hits certain points.

Jace tapped me on the shoulder. Ïf I were to ask you, and this is just assuming because you happen to be in the center of it all, about an offer what would you say.”

I gave a little grin, so he offered the same thing to Jace. I was actually relieved, I’ve fought many years with Jace by my side so the idea of possibility doing this with him helped with the nervousness I felt just thinking about it.

“Man how do you feel about it?”

I was going to wait until later, this is what my epiphany was. Mr Ruble was still on his diagram but it had marks all over the place. Everybody else was either paying attention or doing their own thing. We sat far enough in the back that we wouldn’t draw any attention. I just kept my voice low and wrote down certain words I didn’t want to say out loud.

“I am scared of the whole idea. I don’t think think its one of those decisions where its only temporary.” Jace nodded in agreement.  Ï don’t know if I want to commit to something like that especially not knowing what I’m getting myself to….but I cant stand around and wait for crap to happen.” I got somewhat emotional and checked myself before it drew attention. “I mean twice in a short span that’s crazy right?”

“Yeah I agree.”

“Im up for surprises but not like this, just the thought of the possibility something can happen because,”  I wrote down acolytes,” are taking over.”

“So what are you going to choose?”

“At first I didn’t know and I was going to say no,” then I wrote Adams name, “I cant lose someone knowing I now have an opportunity to do something about it. I don’t know what to expect and I don’t know whats in stored for us, but this time it was,” I pointed to Adams name again. “Next time it could be someone closer, so I’m in. I can hopefully protect myself and all those around me.”

Jace smiled. “Good, I was only going to do it if you agreed to do it. I’m nervous too but I’m excited. I’ve already been thinking of names for myself.”

“I don’t think it works that way.”

Jace got serious. “Don’t take this away from me. I want a name.” He laughed which caused me to laugh.

Mr Ruble stopped his lesson to look at us. “Is there something you would like to share with the class.”

“No sir, we are paying attention.”I replied

He gave us a look then went back to the lesson.

I looked at Jace, he always had an interesting way at looking at things and that was what I needed. I worried about what the future brought and he would look at it as something else. He often did that. I am confident about a lot of things but have a tendency to over analyze, it can be a fault but it has pushed me to be better. Jace not so much, he was confident but he didn’t like to think about things therefore his mind was clear a lot of times.

I turned my attention back to the front and though I was appearing I was paying attention, my mind focused on telling Leon, accepting our decision, and doing this together.  

 

 

 



© 2016 Luix Rives


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

105 Views
Added on January 15, 2016
Last Updated on January 20, 2016


Author

Luix Rives
Luix Rives

Las Vegas, NV



About
I have countless dreams and an endless imagination that I want to share. I enjoy writing stories and making something that I can say, yeah that was me :)~ more..

Writing