Chapter 21

Chapter 21

A Chapter by Luix Rives

I was standing in front of the country club, a small sigh of relief escaping me. We were able to pull it off and get here. It took a lot of convincing, pain management, and luck to be standing here. Dad and the Doctor were naturally against any type of activity especially after waking up from my three day slumber. I had to prove to both of them the pain wasn’t hindering me when in reality it was. It hurt a lot to move around but I put up a good enough to let me be here. When they weren’t around Felicia helped me, not my finest moment but with the help from everyone I was able to get to the house and the dance in an hour. It helps when your dad puts an request for an escort

“Kyra sitting near the entrance, that’s where we’re going to meet her. She see’s Emmalin.” Felicia was trying very hard to keep her pint up excitement inside but it was slowly coming out of her. It was funny watching her fight through it. “You still hurting?”

“Drugs are helping.” I gave her a reassuring smile.

Felicia filled me in on Kyra being at the dance. She was always a looker but after her little stunt at the gym guys were flocking to her and she happened to accept someone’s invitation to the dance at the last minute.

“You ready for this?”

“I have no idea what I’m planning or what’s going to happen, but sure let’s do this.”

Walking into the hall was like walking into another world. The theme of the dance was enchanted fantasy and it really gave that type of feeling. I looked around at all the decorations not realizing when I helped it was planned to be used the way it was. It was amazing how they used everything. The lighting itself was a soft purple ambience with white string lights strewn throughout, to simulate stars. Trees were placed in the walkways painted in white popping out in the darkness. The table covers, images of my attempts in helping Emmalin with them popped up, were table covers, I didn’t know what I was sewing lights for but they were used for table covers and it looked like a lantern giving it a white glow. There was so many other details but I heard my name

“Gabriel, Felicia over here.”

Kyra ran up and hugged me, I was still really sore but I didn’t say anything. She finally let go grabbing our hands to taking us to her table. Her date was there and was standing as we approached. I recognized him but I couldn’t remember his name. He knew mine as he reached out to shake my hand.

“Thank you for everything.”

As I shaking his hand I noticed everyone around was starting to look as they realized who I was. I was getting nods and different forms of acknowledgment.

“You are the talk of the school.” Kyra whispered into my ear.

“Yeah? I hear you are too.”

She gave me a look as she responded, “My little thing was nothing compared to what you did and I only was able to do it because of the courage you showed. I mean you’re here right now.”

“That’s pretty amazing in itself.” Felicia chimed in.

I gave a small smile, thanking them without having to say a word. “Where is she?”

“She’s in the middle of the floor. I think you should go see her.”

I nodded giving them another smile before making my way to the dance floor.

Getting through was no problem even with the whole dance floor packed with people. The sight of me walking through the dance floor stopped them from dancing as they cleared the way. I didn’t mean for that to happen but no one seemed upset. They all reacted the same as everyone else. Saving people really did leave an impression. At the end of the walkway there was Emmalin. Her back was turned and she was swaying to the music with her group of friends. I walked up, none of them noticing what was happening around them until I stood behind her.

Her friend Amanda was the first to notice setting off a chain reaction among the group. Emmalin was confused turning to see what was happening. There I stood not knowing what was going to happen. I held my breath, well whatever was left, I forgot to breathe a couple of times. When she turned she took the rest of my breath away. She looked really beautiful in her dress, a midnight blue that draped to the ground, small white jewels followed across her chest then down the side of her body. Her hair was up but her bangs framed her face.

We both shared stunned faces but then Emmalin started tearing up as she placed her hand against my cheek. I chuckled as I grabbed her hand. “It’s me.”

Tears came down her face and I quickly wiped them away. “Stop, you’re going to ruin your makeup.”

She laughed coming closer wrapping her arms around me. I returned the hug taking the feeling in.

“I’m sorry I wasn’t there.”

“No, I’m sorry I ruined the night.”

“You had a good reason.”

“So did you.”

She squeezed even tighter, luckily my body was allowing me to enjoy it. After a couple moments she slightly lifted her head. “Everyone’s looking at us.” She laughed.

She was right everyone had just stopped dancing and were watching us. “Yeah that’s been happening a lot. Just pretend they’re not there.”

“How’s that working?”

“Not well, but I’m with you so that helps, let them look.”

“I’m good with that.”

The music changed to another song, much slower than the one previous one, a song I immediately recognized. I looked for the DJ to see who would have picked this song and saw Felicia smiling as she stood next to Frank the DJ in the booth. It was our parents song, the song they would perform often during events. I knew what I wanted to do.

“May I have this dance?”

Emmalin looked at me, a smile appearing immediately. “Of course.”

Our first dance, not only was it our first one but we had an audience watching us. I took Emmalin in and began waltzing with her. It was evident from the beginning she learned a lot from the lessons she took but after a few seconds I really did get lost in the moment, I really had my enchanted fantasy as we moved across the floor. For all I knew we were the only ones there. I went all out with her, my body wasn’t an issue as if it almost knew this was an important moment. I didn’t take my eyes off her and she glowed in front of me. It was a beautiful moment and I was sad to see it end as the song ended. We received a round of applause from everyone and if it wasn’t for the ambient light then Emmalin’s face could be seen turning red.

We walked off the floor and spent the rest of the night together, we spent most of it outside walking across the courtyard as we were greeted by the stars. We didn’t say much but being in her company was all that mattered. I would remember this but I made a promise to Emmalin I would make it up to her next year.

She grabbed my hand resting her head against my shoulder, “This one is going to be hard to top, but I’m good with that.”

 

 



© 2016 Luix Rives


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

127 Views
Added on February 11, 2016
Last Updated on February 11, 2016


Author

Luix Rives
Luix Rives

Las Vegas, NV



About
I have countless dreams and an endless imagination that I want to share. I enjoy writing stories and making something that I can say, yeah that was me :)~ more..

Writing