Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

A Chapter by Blue Ivory

Martin arrived with Dr. Morgan, who told them that there was nothing to worry about. That Julie just needed to be under observation for a night or two in the hospital, and that the nosebleed was just from the pressure of the vomiting. It was pretty natural, he told them. He also said, that taking Julie to the hospital was just a formality, to be sure there really was no danger. Whatever Dr. Morgan said, Melissa kept wondering how much of it he was only making up, so they wouldn't be scared; so she wouldn't be scared. She always had a feeling the world wouldn't take her seriously, thinking she was a little girl.

 

They packed up a few of Julie's things, and took her to the nearest hospital. It wasn't that far from home. Julie protested a few times, at the mention of being taken there. Melissa realized, she was probably had the same fear as her: that they were hiding bad news about her health, afraid she couldn't take it. She confronted her Uncle Martin about it, when she found him alone, and he told her she was just imagining things. He seemed to be telling the truth. Over the years, she had figured out how to tell. She didn't know how she knew. But she could just tell. Don't get your hopes up, yet. We haven't heard from the hospital yet.

At the hospital, Melissa failed to be mentally present. She would think about anything that didn't have to do with her mother. She just moved along with the people she came with, her head in some other world. She wasn't good at dealing with death, or even the possibility of it. She figured it was because it brought back old memories. While waiting on a bench, she noticed a man crying out really loudly, with his face against a wall. He looked like his world had just ended. It terrified her. She had a strong urge to go up to him and hug him, even though she didn't know him. But that wouldn't be appropriate, and he probably didn't want to be bothered. She stayed in her place, and continued to stare at him in bewilderment. It gave her a lot to think about.

Melissa was told to sit on that bench, while the grown ups dealt with everything. She wouldn't have understood what they were doing or saying anyway, so she didn't mind. She didn't notice when Martin sat next to her, until he cleared his throat. He had a habit of doing that, just like her father did.

"They are going to keep her here for 2 nights. I think I should stay with you tonight." he told her.

"I will be fine on my own. I think mom needs an attendant, though. You should stay with her."

"I was thinking the same, but you have never been left alone at home, before. Julie, she's in very good hands over here-" he explained.

"I was little back then!" she snapped, and then got embarrassed, "I'm sorry...Uncle Martin, I know how to handle myself, now. Trust me, I will be just fine. Stay here with mom. She'll get lonely."

Martin smiled at his niece. She had started growing up. He noticed it more and more everyday.

"There's another thing I wanted to discuss with you..." he started, "I was thinking I should move in with you two. It's a matter I've brought up with your mother, and she thought it was a good idea. I just wanted to run it by you too, so I could see how you felt about it. Your mother-Julie thinks you deserve to have a father figure around the house." Melissa found it odd that he insisted on using her name like that. She watched her uncle's face light up as he said it.

"Uhh yeah I think that's a great idea! It would be great to have you around." she told him. She was really happy to know he would just be in the next room whenever she needed him. But she was confused about her latest observation. Was he in love with her mother? She had too much going on in her life to think about simple things like these at the time. And besides, she was 15. She shouldn't have to think about these things.

With that, she remembered Tommy, and that she had promised to see him again. She doubted he still wanted to. The walk home was nice, but the entire time, she was nervous about what he would think when he saw her house. It was old and shabby, and there was a garden that was obviously not tended in a while. And indeed, when he was at her doorstep, he paused a moment before he kissed her, and looked at the environment behind her. Or was that a trick of the light? He seemed to like her even after he pulled away...


© 2013 Blue Ivory


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
BL
This is good providing Uncle Martin is a nice guy and not a creep! Yes she should definitely see Tommy again, just keep walking by his house or phone him direct, whatever is necessary really.

Things are ticking along nicely, looking fwd to the next chapter.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Good writing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
BL
This is good providing Uncle Martin is a nice guy and not a creep! Yes she should definitely see Tommy again, just keep walking by his house or phone him direct, whatever is necessary really.

Things are ticking along nicely, looking fwd to the next chapter.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

217 Views
2 Reviews
Added on March 17, 2013
Last Updated on March 17, 2013


Author

Blue Ivory
Blue Ivory

Dhaka, Bangladesh



About
I am a sugarcoated wreck. A cupcake with a chipped human tooth baked inside it. I breathe out soot left behind by the corpses you tried to bury but I come to you served in a silver platter. A hot.. more..

Writing
Covered Covered

A Poem by Blue Ivory


My Body My Body

A Poem by Blue Ivory


Growth Growth

A Poem by Blue Ivory