Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Amy Skye
"

On level 1, Cress learns not everything is as it seems or as she remembers. She attempts to come to grips with her new actuality.

"

Cress

I watched the numbers on the elevator ...9...8...7. Half of the facility was underground, so in order to get to level 1 from level 9 you have to go up to the surface...6....5...4. I tried to center my breathing, focusing on the lights...3...2...1. I took a final breath in and out before the doors opened revealing the level. White walls and floors that seemed to loom forever extended before me. I swallowed hard following the guards off the elevator and down the corridors. The brightness from the windows stung my eyes. It had been so long since I've even seen outside, I wondered if I would get to breath the air again, feel the sun on my face, or the ground beneath my feet. A small droplet of hope loomed in my chest. It had been almost nearly ten years since I'd been free to walk outside. 

We stopped just short of a double security door, and I was asked to place my wrist on the scanner. With slight hesitation I pulled my sleeve back and placed my arm under the light, it lit up green and the doors opened. Another long white hall full of doors and bright lights. It seemed as though we would never stop walking, until finally we reached another double security door. Two men stood guard on either end. We approached and the sentries stiffened, 

"We have a subject who was selected for Project R 2.0." Said my escort, handing them the handheld that still read my code. I unconsciously grabbed my wrist. With a nod, I was handed over to the new guards. They called on their radio,

 "Subject C426-0017H is in custody and being transported to sector 5." One of the men placed his hand on my shoulder and led me down the hall.

"What level did you come from?" Asked the guard behind me.

"Level 9." I muffled,

"Level 9 huh? You hear that Don, level 9." He seemed playful, but the guard in front, Don, didn't seem fazed by the statement. "What's down in level 9? I've never been there before." 

"I suppose not much," I began, "We are the maintenance and code ward."He nodded,

"Hmm, what did you do down there?" his question hit me like a slap in the face, what did I do, as if I wasn't going to be doing it anymore.

"Codes." I kept my answer short, "What's in sector 5?" I asked, and his tone changed,

"They'll complete your assessment and evaluation there, then you'll be transported to your new living quarters." We rounded the corner. Men and women in white coats filled the hall, chatting amongst themselves. Reading from charts in their hands and looking over what looked like x-rays. I stayed looking into the back of the guard I was following, becoming very aware of my haggard appearance. The only nice thing I was wearing was my work jacket, which we were obligated to keep in good condition. My pants, patched together with old clothing and fabric we had at our disposable, were stained with mechanical oil and burns from the wires I would toil with while on work detail. My combat boots, too big for my feet, clicked the floor after every step I took. I shoved my hands into my pockets and focused on the cement in front of me as we continued down the corridor. 

Finally, we came to a door that read, Sector 5 Project R A&E. Don pushed the button that buzzed into the room beyond the door, and we waiting. "Subject Code?" Blared over the speaker box. Don input the numbers into the keypad and pushed enter. The door suddenly lurched open, a young woman in a white coat holding a tablet stood beyond. 

"Come on in Cress." She said with a smile. I entered the room, leaving the two guards behind. I followed her into another small room that contained a large metal table and a ring light. She motioned for me to have a seat on the table. It was quiet for a moment as she typed into her tablet. There was a small saucer of syringes and cotton swabs next to her, as well as a tray of empty vial containers. An Anifa propaganda poster hung on the wall that read Be the Future! Help us achieve wonders in scientific and medical advancements! Join the fight for our survival! The women set down her tablet, put on some medical gloves then picked up a cotton swab, "Alright, let's get started." She said, pulling my mouth open to swab the inside of my cheeks. Over the course of several minutes, she swabbed at my face, nose, and ears, drew blood, filling up five of the empty vials, then took my temperature and vital signs. "You're all done," she threw her gloves into the trash, "Not so bad right?" She said as she typed into her tablet. I still remained quiet. A man in a suit walked in and escorted me down several more sectors and corridors until we finally stopped at a door. 

"These are your new living quarters." He said, gesturing to the door in front of us, "Your things from Level 9 have been brought up. Once we are ready for you, we will come get you." He handed me a folder, with different times and schedules inside, "Your lunch and dinner will be brought to your door." I flipped through my folder looking for my new work schedule.

"What about my work detail?" I asked.

"You have not been assigned a work detail." He motioned for me to scan my code to enter the room, 

"We will come get you when we are ready for you." And just like that I was left alone.The room was much larger than my quarters on Level 9. An actual bed stood in the center of the room, covered in fine sheets and blankets. A TV was hung in the corner of the wall as well as a closet full of clean and pressed clothes. My effects from my room had been brought up and sat in the side table next to the bed. A window just on the other side of the bed caught my eyes. I walked over and peered outside. My mouth dropped. A desert of sand and pollution lay before me, not a tree in site, no green, not a single living thing. Had ten years really turned the world into a desolate waste land? I closed the shades and tried to think of the world I left behind, though not perfect and still in need of much salvation, I could still remember the trees and the smell of the fresh air. I could remember the sounds of birds chirping and the wind in the leaves. My heart ached at the thought that I would never again see the world I once knew and took for granted. 

A knock at the door rang in my ears, Already? I thought to myself. I leisurely walked over to the door and with slight hesitation I yanked it open. A tray and covering lay on the floor in front of me with no one in site. I picked it up and brought it inside closing the door behind me. I set the tray down on the table and lifted the lid. A plate of lavish food and desert splayed out before me. My last meal I thought, however hunger evaded me, my nerves to tense, the thought of swallowing any food made my stomach turn. I turned and sat on the perfectly made bed.

 I closed my eyes and took a deep breathe in as my heart clenched and my eyes began to water. I shook my head.

 "Be Strong." I told myself out loud. I opened my eyes, now resting on the mirror that lay on the wall before me. I swallowed the knot in my throat. My reflection reminded me so much of my parents. My almond eyes, blue like my mothers, my nose, round like my fathers. It was as if I could still see them within me, telling me not to be afraid of the unknown and to embrace it. 

"You will never know what is to come tomorrow. Your true strength lies in who you are today." I could hear my mother's words echoing in my mind, it was the last thing she said to me before being taken to Level 1 along with my father. I laid down on the bed staring up at the ceiling, the faces of everyone that I had watched slowly disappear over the years drifted through my head. My fate now the same as theirs. Though I did not know what would become of tomorrow, I remained in this moment. Remembering the faces of family and friends when times didn't seem so daunting. My eyes shut and I found myself drifting into the dreams of days long passed.          

. . .

It was as if only a second had passed when I was awoken by a knock at the door. Darkness now loomed beyond the window curtains and the only light in the room came from under the door leading to the hall. I lifted myself from the bed, rubbing my eyes, almost forgetting where I was. Another knock at the door pounded in my ear drums. I walked to the door and flicked on the light switch. My hand now lingering on the door handle for a moment before turning the knob. I swallowed my fear and pulled the door open. Four guards stood in front of me. Instantly I felt as if I was two feet tall. My heart began to pound as one of the guards spoke."Cress Hayes, they are ready for you." I felt my mother's push to be strong, and I took the first two steps out of the room. I am ready, I told myself, I am ready to die. I thought as I followed the men down the hall. Little did I know, this was only the beginning.



© 2020 Amy Skye


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

"Be Strong." I told myself allowed

The above sentence needs to be corrected. Since your character is talking to herself, the be strong part could be italicized. Allowed should be 'out loud' don't you think?

Just a few thoughts. I really like this story so far. You are excellent.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Amy Skye

3 Years Ago

Thank you so much! I will fix these mistakes. :) I agree 'out loud' does sound more accurate.
Looking forward to another chapter of this intriguing read. Maybe a short chapter description would help the reader get into it also.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Amy Skye

3 Years Ago

Thank you for taking the time to read my work! I will definitely take your advise and include chapte.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

86 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 5, 2020
Last Updated on July 30, 2020


Author

Amy Skye
Amy Skye

About
Hello, I am Amy.I am a sarcastic soul with a headstrong attitude and a do-gooder complex. I have a soft spot for the dystopian, sci-fi, and post-apocalyptic genres. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Amy Skye


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Amy Skye


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Amy Skye