Chapter 12

Chapter 12

A Chapter by Amy Skye
"

Cress remembers times before the rehab center. The group runs into a new problem.

"
My mind wandered aimlessly as the road outside my window passed. I rolled the window down, and allowed myself to feel the free air flow through my hair, my eyes closed, trying to remember the last time I was able to feel this sensation. 

“Cress sweetie,” said my mother, “roll up the window, we have the cooler on.” With a slight eye roll, I watched as the window closed up, blocking out all of the fresh air. 
“We don’t know when we will be able to breath the fresh air again, Mom.” I said, slouching back into my seat. “We should all have our windows down.” I watched the cars pass, all headed to the same place we were. 
“Oh, I am sure once Anifa is done, the air will be much nicer, just you wait.” Said my dad, who looked at me in the rearview mirror with a smile. 
“Doubtful.” I mumbled under my breath.
“Cress Aryn,” My mother said sternly, I flinched, “Anifa is being gracious enough to allow us a place to stay and jobs. You will respect them.” I crossed my arms, still not understanding why we had to go. 
“I bet you’ll meet a ton of cute boys at your new school.” Said my Dad, jokingly. With a grimace on my face, I smiled with distain. 
“I liked my old school.” I said, my eyes rolling. I looked quickly out the window as a shadow cast over the car. A giant archway was overhead, lined with guards and sentry guns. A huge sign read, ‘Welcome to Anfia’s Rehabilitation Center, Your home for the future.’ 
Several hours passed while we sat in the bumper to bumper traffic until we finally reached a second archway where we were ushered to park and exit the vehicle. Armed military personnel searched us, and scanned in our codes. I grabbed onto my fathers arm as we were pushed into a line of thousands of people headed straight for the entryway of Anifa’s main gate. 

I opened my eyes, the wind still flowing through my hair, the fresh air smelled sweet in my nose. I pulled back from the window to see Kit, smiling back at me from the front passenger seat. I rolled up the window, and sat in silence. 
“How long had it been since you’ve been outside?” he asked me. I swallowed the nervous knot in my throat. 
“Too long.” Was all I said, keeping exact numbers to myself. He turned back to face the road, a slight smile still lingering. Suddenly a broadcast came over the radio, a screeching noise that rang into our ears, making Will swerve to the side of the road. We all covered our ears trying to get out of the vehicle. I managed to push open my door as I fell to the ground, my bag falling hard onto my head. I turned and opened Will’s driver side door, pulling him from the shrieking car, his ears bleeding. I looked over under the car to see Kit laying face down, screaming into the ground, holding his head tightly with his hands. 
I slammed Will’s door shut and ran to the other side of the car, quickly forcing the passenger door closed. The noise still looming inside, but manageable from the outside, at least for me. The boys still seemed to be feeling the effects of the howl reverberating in their ears. I ran back around and pulled Will back several yards from the vehicle, throwing my jacket over his head to further muffle the noise, as he held his ears tightly with his hands, yelling in agony. I quickly ran back to Kit who was still writhing in pain on the cold asphalt, and pulled him back next to Will who seemed to be coming back into reality. When suddenly the Jeep’s shriek began to blare even louder from the outside, sending a shockwave of pain through my ears and spine. I knew that if I could feel it, that it would likely kill Kit and Will. I looked down to them, Will and I made eye contact as he stayed holding onto his head. Kit managed to look up just as I turned and ran for the vehicle. 
“Cress!” They both yelled as I yanked the door open to the drivers side and jumped into the seat. The howling bellowed in my ears, my head pulsating in pain. You’ve been through worse, I told myself, and put the car in drive. I slammed the gas and sped the car down the road, the guys shrinking in the rear-view mirror. After a moment the radio stopped screeching and was cut to a women’s voice, 
“Cress,” my eyes shot to the radio, “Help me, Cress.” My mouth dropped, 
“Mom?” was all I got out before the jeep slammed into a tree, knocking me out cold.   
                 .                                .                          .
A plume of smoke emerged in the distance as Kit and Will were finally able to lift themselves from the dirt. Heads pounding, they looked to each other with worry. What did they just witness? Their minds questioned. 
“We’ve got to get to her.” Kit said, struggling to walk towards the distant vapor. 
“Take it easy.” Will said, worried for his friend,
“Why would she go and do that?” Kit said angrily, “We need her.” He continued walking, struggling with every step. Will grabbed onto him, 
“We might not have made it if she hadn’t, Kit.” Will said, they leaned on each other as they struggled to walk. 
“Yea well,” he paused, “We can’t lose her.” He said finally. Will stopped, grabbing onto him tighter. 
“Kit,” he said grabbing him by the shoulders, “She is not Adalee.” Kit’s face stiffened,
“I know that,” he yanked away from Will’s grasp, “But she might know what happened to her.” He kept going, now both finally able to walk on their own. “And maybe we can finally get inside and take Anifa down with her help.” The closer they got to the smoke the quicker they realized that the Jeep was completely smashed between several trees and tipped over, hanging off the edge of a small embankment. They ran to the driver’s side, Cress lay inside unconscious, her head bloody. Kit quickly pulled her from the car, her body limp in his arms. Will assisted in laying her down examining her for injuries. 
Kit slowly moved the hair out of Cress’s face, he blinked at her beauty, as if he was seeing her for the first time. Her round nose sat perfectly on her face, her pink lips parted ever so slightly, her honey skin soft and smooth. He ran his hand over the blood dripping from the opened wound on her head. Without her jacket, he could see the curvature of her arms and hips. He quickly shook it off, seeing the blood from her wounds drip. He took her limp face in his hands, his eyes suddenly on the wound that lay across her forehead. The gash beginning to heal, his eyes widened in disbelief. Suddenly Cress’s eyes shot open with a gasp, her face still in Kit’s hands, she looked up to him, he met her gaze with a face of utter astonishment and confusion.


© 2020 Amy Skye


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Holy crap! I like getting the glimpse into Cress as a young person. Intermingling tine frames can make things clearer and more dramatic. This story is a thrill ride.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Amy Skye

3 Years Ago

I am not sure what you mean, could you elaborate? thanks so much! i really wanted it to be like a fl.. read more
Franky

3 Years Ago

Sorry. I was just compliment ing you.....
Amy Skye

3 Years Ago

Oh haha my bad!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

59 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 18, 2020
Last Updated on June 18, 2020


Author

Amy Skye
Amy Skye

About
Hello, I am Amy.I am a sarcastic soul with a headstrong attitude and a do-gooder complex. I have a soft spot for the dystopian, sci-fi, and post-apocalyptic genres. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Amy Skye


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Amy Skye


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Amy Skye