Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by Amy Skye
"

Outside of Anifa, a rebellion is brewing.

"

Kit

150 years later 


The sun cascaded over the mountain tops, pouring light into Kit’s room, but he was already awake. His eyes set on the tower across the square. He had heard around town that Phase 2 would be announced today, and he desperately wanted to be selected for the mission. With countless hours of training under his belt and leading the scores in strategy and fighting tactics, he knew he at least stood a chance at being chosen to lead the next operation. This was more than just revenge for him, it was a chance to take them down once and for all. To make sure no one else suffered at the hands of the oppressing dictator that is Anifa.

            Three rings sounded in the distance. Kit quickly made his way out onto his porch, listening intently. A crowd of people began to fill the square below, eager to hear the announcement. A man walked out from the shadows atop the tower to the microphone stand and tapped on it several times. The square went quiet.

            “Good morning people of Forthold.” The man began, “I know you are all eager to hear report, but your patience during this time is what holds us all together!” Claps from the crowd echoed up onto Kit’s porch, as he tapped his fingers nervously on the rail. “However, in saying that, we are happy to announce that Phase 1 was a success!” Joyous howls from the audience filled the square. “Yes, yes!” The man waved his arms, “And I am equally as delighted to announce we have selected a new team for Phase 2.” More uproar from the crowd enveloped the courtyard. “Quiet down, quiet down!” The man said waving his arms. Kit stood up straight not wanting to miss the call. The man was handed a sheet of paper, off which he began to read, “On today, the 17th day of March, 2205, we are delighted to announce the launch of Phase 2.” The crowd silenced all waiting for the name of the new team. “Leading the team is a young man, eager to prove himself. A man that has demonstrated time and time again what a valuable asset he is to our cause. Kit Harper!” His name reverberated in his ear, as the eyes in the crowd looked back to him atop his balcony, with cheers and applause. “Congratulations Mr. Harper!” Said the man above the square, Kit nodded to him. “Alright, alright,” he calmed the crowd again, “Mr. Harper will be leading a new team to get more information about the tyrant that is Anifa!” The crowd booed and hissed at the name. “Getting closer than any of us before. He will lead his team into the outlaying desolate town of Fremont to gather intel and report back. Please wish his team well. As always, hold strong, and remember,” he began, and the crowd joined in, saying in unison, “We are the holders of our future!” The man walked back into the shadows of the tower, as the crowd began to dissipate. Kit walked back into his room, where his mother stood, clutching her necklace, teary eyed.

            “I am so proud of you,” She said with a crack in her voice, “but...” she began but couldn’t get the words out. Kit walked over and gave her a hug; she was so much smaller than him now.

            “Don’t worry Mom,” he said, “I’ll be fine, it is just an intel mission.” She pulled him in tighter.

            “Promise me, you won’t go looking for revenge while you’re out there?” She said pulling away, but still clutching his arms. “You have to separate what happened to her, and focus on the mission, okay?” She looked him in the eyes, and he nodded his head. She took him into another embrace before separating and heading down stairs. It had been five years since Anifa took and killed Adalee, Kit’s first love. He pulled at the fabric on his wrist, that was the last thing he had of hers, remembering her face. Anger weld up in his chest at the thought of her death. In his mind, he wouldn’t rest until Anifa paid for what they did to her, and this mission was just the start. He grabbed his jacket from the hook next to his door and headed out and down the stairs. He met his mother in the kitchen for one last hug and a bite of food, before heading to the tower to meet his new team.

. . .


            “Mr. Harper,” Said the man, who just moments ago, was addressing the crippled city, “My name is Mayson Bates, and it is an honor to have you leading the next mission.” He took Kit’s hand and shook it vigorously. “I would like you to meet your team,” He gestured to the group of familiar friends, Kits heart bounced with joy, everyone from this training division, people he knew he worked well with, “I am sure you recognize them.” He walked up to a young woman with dark blonde hair, and eyes green and widely shallow her skin pale, “Olivia Cage, Second in Command.” He followed over to Kit’s best friend, a dark-skinned fellow, with broad shoulders and a wideset nose, “William Jaeger, and last but not least,” Finally he walked over to a tall man who was wide in stature, with strawberry blonde hair and a manly gaze, “Owen Ryan.” They all nodded and smiled at Kit. Will gave a small wink. “This is your team Mr. Harper. I am sure you will all do the cause proud.” He walked over behind his desk, and placed his hands on the refurbished piece of wood. “Your job is intel. We want to know how close we can get to Anifa without getting caught.” He started, “If you run into trouble, you get out of there, and meet at command. Kit, you remember Sabastian, from your last mission, he will give you guys some help if needed. Always remember, don’t get caught, because if they find out we are trying to get inside, they will increase their defenses, and all this will be for nothing. Fremont is about a two weeks journey from here by foot, so you’ve got a month.” He shifted the papers on his desk around, “Remember the code, and you’ll do just fine.” Mayson said finally. Kit and his crew left the tower and made their way to the city gates.



© 2020 Amy Skye


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A plot twist! And a good one. Very wise of you. I can see the story really developing. Nice.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Amy Skye

3 Years Ago

Great! I am so glad you are enjoying!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

67 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 8, 2020
Last Updated on July 30, 2020


Author

Amy Skye
Amy Skye

About
Hello, I am Amy.I am a sarcastic soul with a headstrong attitude and a do-gooder complex. I have a soft spot for the dystopian, sci-fi, and post-apocalyptic genres. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Amy Skye


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Amy Skye


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Amy Skye