Chapter 23

Chapter 23

A Chapter by Amy Skye
"

Cress rushes to confront Marshall. Kit and WIll are faced with another familiar threat

"
I sat there for a moment, hearing the words echo from Kit’s lips. His hand on my knee, as if to comfort me, but I didn’t need comfort. Swiftly I got up from the bed, shaking off the tired bewilderment from my eyes, and replacing it with a determination for answers. 
“Where are you going?” He said, following after me as I made my way down the hall. He grabbed at my arm and swung me around, sending me stumbling into his chest. I looked up to him, his eyes soft and full of guilt. My wrist still held tightly by his hand. I pushed off from his broad slightly damp chest, sending him back a step, but he still held tight to my arm. “I’m sorry, Cress.” He said finally. 
“Don’t be.” I snapped back, “I’m the one that fell for it. You were at least smart enough not to.” I yanked my arm from his grasp and continued into the living room, where Will stood leaning on one of the sofas, his arms crossed. 
“Don’t blame yourself for this, Cress.” Will said as I proceeded to slip on my boots and jacket. 
“I’m sorry but who else am I to blame?” I spit, “I gave him everything he needed, willingly.” I looked down to the floor, disappointed in myself. I quickly swallowed the guilt and shame, looking back up to the boys. “Now I have to fix it.” I turned to the door, but Kit swiftly blocked me. “Get out of my way, Kit.”
“You’re not going anywhere without us.” Will said walking up behind me, but my eyes were locked on Kit’s. 
“We are a team.” Kit reassured me, “We do this together.” 
“Okay,” I sighed, “Let’s do this.” The boys slipped on their jackets and boots, and I grabbed my dagger from my pack near the front door. I opened the door to see the sun rising from the horizon, the rain at a light trickle now. When suddenly a familiar voice came from behind us,
“Harper. Jaeger.” We turned, shock and confusion swept our faces as Olivia and Owen stood zombielike in the back corner of the kitchen. 
“Cage?” Kit said, stepping closer, but stiffened at the sight of them, “What are you doing here? You’re supposed to be back at Forthold.” Slowly I closed the door, as Kit and Will placed themselves between me and the two of them. 
“We didn’t make it five miles before Anifa soldiers picked us up.” Olivia said with a chuckle making Kit step closer to me, his back now touching my shoulder. “We are here for the girl, Kit. Hand her over and we won’t have any trouble.” Owen began to walk the length of the kitchen, his hand scraping the walls and counters as he dragged his feet.
“What happened to you?” Will said finally. 
“We saw the light and the truth to her existence. Anifa is our only way out.” The words that left her lips seemed robotic and rehearsed. 
“Bullshit.” I said finally, Owen’s almost dead eyes shot to me, his teeth grinding in his mouth. Kit grabbed onto my hand, as we backed up slightly. 
“This isn’t you.” He said, “We are part of the resistance. We’ve seen what they have done to the world, to our friends, our family. How can you do their bidding for them?”  
“Salvation lies with the truth.” Olivia said, and with a lunge Owen went flying towards us. Will quickly jumped into action, slamming into him sending him into the nearby wall. The two of them were entangled on the floor. Kit backed me up to the door opening it and shoving me out.
“Go get Marshall. We’ll hold them off.” He winked; I quickly stopped the door before it shut.
“Wait,” I said, my heart pounded, but the words I wanted so desperately to say wouldn’t come, all I could muster was, “Be careful.” He smiled back at me.
“You too.” And with that he shoved the door closed, leaving me alone in the rain. My hands remained on the door for a moment. My chest ached at the thought of leaving them in there, but I knew I had to get to Marshall. I shoved myself from the door and ran for Marshalls house. My boots splashing in the murky puddles along the road. The sun was just now coming over the horizon bringing light onto the town.
I made my way to the cellar doors that led to the lab, but a padlock secured it shut. He knows I am coming, I thought, as I slowly walked around to the front of the house. I slid my dagger into my jacket pocket and opened the door to his house. Lit candles decorated the living room and kitchen, but Marshall was no where in site. 
“Marshall?” I said allowed, my tone soft but determined. I sneakishly walked the house, slowly making my way to the basement door. I knew he would be waiting for me, so with a deep breath I opened the door, and walked down the steps into the lab. 


© 2020 Amy Skye


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

25 Views
Added on September 8, 2020
Last Updated on September 8, 2020


Author

Amy Skye
Amy Skye

About
Hello, I am Amy.I am a sarcastic soul with a headstrong attitude and a do-gooder complex. I have a soft spot for the dystopian, sci-fi, and post-apocalyptic genres. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Amy Skye


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Amy Skye


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Amy Skye