Chapter 18

Chapter 18

A Chapter by Amy Skye
"

Cress learns what Marshall wants with her. She finally learns to embrace her new self.

"
I followed after Marshall in silence for a brief moment, trying not to think about the look on Kit’s face as I left him standing there. I quickly shook off the feeling of guilt, remembering why I was here, and why he was here. We have two very different goals, and I needed to focus on mine. 
“What do you want with me Marshall?” I asked boldly, as we continued our walk through the town. He fell back a few steps, and fell into stride with me, with a smile he replied,
“For now, I only want to show you what I am working on.” He gestured to the homes around us. He stopped just outside of a house, that looked almost untouched by the desolate years. The yard was well kept, the porch was sturdy, the roof wasn’t caving in like many others. It reminded me of my own home before the rehab center, welcoming and safe. Marshall placed his hand on my back and ushered me up the stairs and inside. My heart skipped at how normal it seemed. Couches and even a rug decorated the living room, the kitchen seemingly untouched. I felt as if I was intruding in someone’s home. Not a spec of dirt or dust to be found.
I walked through in pure amazement; my hands swept the pristine couch leaving a path of dirt in its wake. I quickly withdrew my hand and looked to Marshall to apologize, but I was met with a smile. “Don’t worry about that.” He walked over and took my hand, “I am sure you haven’t had a moment to yourself in a while.” He looked down to my dirt filled hands. “You’re welcome to use the shower in my room if you’d like. I have a fresh set of clothing for you as well.” I pulled my hand back, thinking about how nice a shower should feel right now. 
“Why are you being so nice to me?” I asked, just now realizing how close he was to me.
“Please,” he said, “have some time to yourself, to feel normal again.” He gestured to couch, “Once you’re done, I will tell you anything you want to know.” I nodded reluctantly. With a smile he showed me into one of the rooms. A massive bed sat in the center complete with pillows and perfectly tucked sheets. A set of clothes lay atop the mattress as well as a pair of boots on the floor beside it. “The shower is through that door.” he pointed to the left of the room where an opened door led into a large bathroom, “These clothes are yours.” He gestured to the bed, “Take as long as you need. I’ll be in the living room when you’re done.” And with that he left the room, closing the door tightly behind him. I exhaled a breath I didn’t even know I was holding and walked into the bathroom.
Slowly I walked up to the mirror, almost afraid of what I might see. My hair was an absolute mess, un-brushed and tangled. My face was covered with dirt just like the rest of me. My jacket was torn at the shoulder and my shirt was ripping at the seams. I looked to my hands; my nails were caked with dirt and dust. The feeling of disgust with myself overcame me and I quickly undressed and jumped in the now blaring shower. The water hitting me was almost painful, but I let it continue. I closed my eyes and let the water wash off all of Anifa. I watched as all the fear and hatred and the years of torment and torture washed away down the drain, taking with it, the girl I used to be. The girl before the rehab center and the manipulated young women I became while inside, all washed away into the depths of the drain. Leaving me with nothing but the vain memories of the passed. 
After I was done I stepped from the shower, now facing the steam filled mirror. With a single wipe of the condensation, I was now face to face with the new me. Though physically nothing had changed, I knew I was someone else now. No longer an insecure rebellious child desperate for validation, but a woman ready to take back what was taken from me. 
And with that mentality in mind, I walked over to the clothes Marshall had laid out for me on the bed. I pulled on the t-shirt shirt and cargo pants, the fit was nice, almost exactly my size. The boots fit perfectly, and didn’t slip off my heals when I walked. Lastly, I grabbed at the jacket and threw it on, again a perfect fit. Feeling like a new woman, I walked over to the mirror again to give myself a good look. With a heavy breath I plucked my old clothes off the bathroom floor and shoved them into the trash bin. 
I sauntered out of the room and down the hall back in the living room where Marshall waited patiently on the couch. He stood as I rounded the corner, grinning widely. 
“You look great,” he said to me, “do you feel better?” I walked over and sat down on the couch, 
“Yes, now talk.” Straight and to the point, I looked him dead in the eyes, “What do you want with me?” He sat down next to me slowly, his hands placed on his knees. 
“I just want to talk.” He leaned back and turned slightly to face me, “All of this,” he said gesturing to the room, “was made for a purpose. I hope that one day Anifa will release the remaining citizens and we can recolonize this place. I have been rebuilding this settlement for just that purpose, to help everyone inside once they are out. We can reintegrate them into the world. I have already started a settlement with almost thirty people now on the upper west side of the town. The buildings still need work but as you can see,” he stood up and admired his work on the home, “we can make it feel like a time before. A time we could only once dream of living in.” Marshall walked back over and sat next me; this time even closer. “Don’t you think that would be magnificent?” I stood up, in an attempt to bridge some place between us. I walked over into the kitchen, 
“Seems a little too good to be true.” I said, running my hands along the counter tops. My mind wondered back to the smell of coffee and my father making breakfast on a Saturday morning. A distance memory. I turned around to see Marshall standing only inches from me, I backed up slightly, my back now flesh up against the counter. 
“It doesn’t have to be.” He said softly, “Don’t you long for a time before? A time before the sickness, the outrage, the desecration of cities. A time before Anifa. Don’t you long to have that back?” My eyes met his.
“Back?” I questioned, my hands gripping the counter next to me. Marshall sighed with a slight grin. His hand now at my face, grazing my cheek as he pushed the damp hair from my face. 
“Is it not a magnificent thing to live forever?” he said, my heart began to race. He knows. “From the moment your face popped up on my bounty list, I knew you where special.” He took my hands from the counter and held them to his chest. “A girl who couldn’t possibly be older then twenty five with a four million dollar bounty on her head. But you’re much older than that aren’t you, Cress?” I yanked my arms back from his grasp and took a step away from the counter, my eyes still locked on his.
“What do you know about me?” I asked, my voice shaky. 
“All I know is that you were inside Anifa for much longer then I’m sure you would like everyone to believe.” He said “Your bounty card showed two photos of you. One was a young girl with hope in her eyes and an eagerness to help people.” I grew confused, “The other, a women who had been tortured and betrayed by the people who were meant to help you. I knew there was no way those photos were of the same girl, so I did my research. I have eyes on the inside, and a rumor of the first success story from the Vat grew like wild fire within the ranks of Anifa soldiers. It wasn’t long before I put two and two together.” I shook my head, and began to back away from him even further. “No, no,” he began his hands outstretched, “please, you don’t understand.” He took a step closer to me as I backed away slowly. “I need your help. It’s my mother, she is very sick. The medicine Anifa is giving her is only barley keeping her alive, but Cress,” he took another step closer to me, “you could help her so that she doesn’t have to suffer anymore. With your abilities, you could heal her.” I swallowed the ball in my throat. 
“I can’t heal people, Marshall. That’s not how this works.” I snapped. “What you’re asking for is something out of my control.” He shook his head, with a smile.
“We can harvest your blood and bone marrow and develop a treatment.” He took another step toward me, “You and I could help so many people who are suffering.” I blinked in amazement at his hopefulness and eagerness. 
“I don’t want to be this way.” I said softly, looking at the floor, “I wouldn’t wish this on anyone.” He took my shoulders.
“But you see Cress,” I looked back up him, “We won’t be making anyone immortal like you. We would only be healing their wounds. All Anifa wants is to create immortals. I want to heal the sick, cure cancers, and make death easier for some, not evade it all together.” It all seemed too good to be true. The idea of helping others with my curse instead of creating more just like me seemed like an awfully good way to utilize my skills.  
“Healing others through Anifa’s one great achievement seems like a pretty good way to stick it to them.” I said, Marshalls face lit up with excitement. He took me into a quick hug, 
“Brilliant,” he said, “We’ll get started right away.” 


© 2020 Amy Skye


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is the best chapter so far, by far! I like how marshall makes this more complicated, but in a good way. In a way that makes sense.

Very well done. I can't wait to read more.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Amy Skye

3 Years Ago

OH MY GOD! wow thank you so much! i was very concerned about this chapter, cuz as you can tell i don.. read more
Franky

3 Years Ago

You are a terrific writer. No doubt
Amy Skye

3 Years Ago

thank you so much Frankie. That means a lot! :)))

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

61 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 13, 2020
Last Updated on July 13, 2020


Author

Amy Skye
Amy Skye

About
Hello, I am Amy.I am a sarcastic soul with a headstrong attitude and a do-gooder complex. I have a soft spot for the dystopian, sci-fi, and post-apocalyptic genres. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Amy Skye


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Amy Skye


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Amy Skye