Chapter 17

Chapter 17

A Chapter by Amy Skye
"

Tensions within the group grow as emotions run high.

"
We were escorted into a refurbished home, complete with slightly repaired furniture and running water. The living room was covered with lit candles and smelled of pine. Old tapestries hung from the ceilings giving the room a sense of comfort. I set my pack down near the couch and ran my fingers along the weathered upholstery. I suddenly felt a sense of safety here, a feeling I hadn’t experienced since before the rehab center. However, I knew it would not last, we knew nothing of these people or what they wanted with us. How did Marshall know my name? 
I looked over to Will, who was rummaging the kitchen, and Kit who was glaring out of the window into the street, his hands in fists and anger in his eyes. He turned around and faced the two of us.
“I say at nightfall, we make a break for it.” He said, walking over and picking up my bag, shoving it at me, “You need to be prepared to run at a moments notice. Don’t just leave your pack anywhere.”
“Whoa Kit,” Will said, walking over, “They obviously aren’t going to be turning us in to Anifa. What’s the rush?” 
“We know nothing about what these people want with us, or with you.” he said looking to me, “I don’t trust them.” 
“Look, I agree, they aren’t to be trusted,” Will said, “But our job is intel or did you forget that?” he took Kits shoulder, “We need to find out what they know, and how they are in contact with Anifa. They obviously have connections, and get bounties from turning people over to them. Don’t you think that is something Mayson would want to know about?” Kit and Will met eyes, “They have decided not to turn us in. We should take that as a blessing and learn what we can while we are here.” Will shot a glance over at me before looking back to Kit and softly saying, “Stop letting emotions cloud your judgement on what we came here to do in the first place.” Kit’s jaw clenched, as he pulled away from Will’s grasp. His eyes locked on mine. 
“What do you think we should do?” Kit asked, nodding at me. I opened my mouth but thought for a moment. Call it an eagerness to feel security again or stupidity for wanted to get more information but,
“I agree with Will.” I said, “This Marshall guy knows my name. For all we know, he could know more about me than I do.” I chucked my bag into the couch, and crossed my arms. “I need to know what information he has about me.” Kit walked over to me, concern in his eyes and voice,
“What if he doesn’t know about you? What if you get hurt and they find out what you are?” He said softly, “What then?” I swallowed the ball in my throat, he had a point, but I couldn’t continue to question everything I’d been through and everything I am.
“You’re right,” I said, “But I need answers about what Anifa did to me. And I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I knew he had them, and I didn’t at least try.” Kit sighed, backing away from me. 
“I understand you need answers,” he said, “I get it, probably more then a lot of people. But we can’t lose you,” he paused, “you’re too important to our operation.” I lowered my head, and laughed,
“What are they going to do? Kill me?” I smiled, looking back up at Kit and Will, who seemed shocked I was mocking the very thing I hated about myself. Kit shook his head and said,
“Has that theory even been tested?” the question knocked me back, he was right, it hasn’t been tested. I got out of Anifa before they began tests into what I could handle. I had been attacked by the Seather but it was nothing fatal. What would happen if I was killed? Would I come back? How long would it take if I did? As my mind contemplated it all, Kit looked to me with slight anger. He walked over and aggressively grabbed my shoulders, Will quickly followed after trying to calm him. “You don’t even know, do you?” he shouted at me. 
“Kit, chill out man.” Will said grabbing his friend but Kit kept his gaze on me. 
“No,” I shouted, “It hasn’t been tested, because I got out of that hell whole before they could start breaking my bones and ripping off my finger nails.” Kit released his grip on me, and backed away. The reality of my torture plumed in his chest, as he realized how horrible everything I had been through at the hands of Anifa was. And that in order to even test the theory I would have to be killed. Anger weld up in my chest as I realized, he didn’t care about that, he only cared about the girl he had lost. I was just a pawn in his scheme to get back to her, and to take Anifa down, out of his own selfish revenge for her death. As the silence filled the air around us, a sudden knock on the door echoed through our ears. I was the first to walk over and yank the door wide open. Marshall stood at the entrance, a smile hung on his lips when he saw me. I backed up slightly but stood my ground, if Kit could follow his own agenda, then so can I. 
“Cress,” Marshall said to me, his tone was soft and trusting, “Just the lady I wanted to see.” He stepped into the house slightly and leaned on the door frame, his green eyes locked on mine. “Do you mind if we take a walk?” I stiffened at the request. Kit and Will, both walked a pace closer. Marshall looked to them with a smile, and an outstretched hand, “Don’t worry, I’ll have her back before long.” Kit looked to me, his eyes overflowing with all the words he wanted to say, but couldn’t now. I nodded and took Marshall’s outstretched hand leading me into the streets outside. I looked back to Kit, who’s apologetic gaze sank to the floor with a sigh. The door shut tightly behind me. 


© 2020 Amy Skye


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

You are an excellent suspense writer Amy. I like how many twists and turns there are in the story line. I hope Cress gets 'killed' in order to see how she comes back. Wow. Eternal life? How cool.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Amy Skye

3 Years Ago

Awe man! thanks so much! :))

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

53 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 8, 2020
Last Updated on July 8, 2020


Author

Amy Skye
Amy Skye

About
Hello, I am Amy.I am a sarcastic soul with a headstrong attitude and a do-gooder complex. I have a soft spot for the dystopian, sci-fi, and post-apocalyptic genres. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Amy Skye


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Amy Skye


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Amy Skye