Candlelight Vigil

Candlelight Vigil

A Chapter by Eddie Davis
"

On the night before the formation of the Knights of Northmarch, Eleazar spends the night in prayer to Yesh, but his thoughts turn to other concerns.

"

21.

Candlelight Vigil

 




In the small chapel of the Paladin’s Keep, which by this time tomorrow would be re-ordained as the Keep of the Knights of Northmarch, the soon-to-be Commander of the order knelt before an altar covered with softly glowing candles that illuminated the icon of Yesh the Redeemer.  

Eleazar was deep in prayer with his God, his thoughts troubled as he fought his own battle.

It was fear : fear for one who he knew in his heart that he was falling deeply in love.   It had consumed him for days now, the dark thoughts of seeing Duchess Aurei Bugley fall in battle or to misdeed.   Perhaps it was the events following her abduction by the Necromancer’s Guild; the helplessness when he could not prevent her from being taken by the Wyverns.   But whatever the reasons, he found himself very, very fearful of something happening to her.   Yet fear was supposed to be something a Paladin did not know.    He had no fear for his own life; his terror was something happening to her.   Something he could not prevent, or mend.  

Just as his mother had died - as he watched on in horrible helplessness.

“Yesh the Holy, have mercy on me, a miserable knight.   I confess to you my terror; I confess that I have feelings for Duchess Bugley that are not in keeping of my vows of complete obedience to you.   I confess that my thoughts of her have caused me to not focus on my duties to you and now, Sovereign Master, I find that I am terrorized of death or harm befalling her.   I confess I struggle to have faith that all is within your power and as best as I try, I just can’t seem to hand her well-being over to your care.   Oh my Lord, tomorrow I will be consecrated as the Grand Master of this new Knightly Order, and yet my heart is tainted.   Show me, Sovereign Master, what to do.   Help me, Yesh the merciful!”  

Eleazar rested his forehead on the altar.   Suddenly the room shifted as if water stirred up and he was suddenly somewhere else.



© 2014 Eddie Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

"I confess that my thoughts of her has caused me..." I think has ought to be have.

This was a lovely glimpse into Eleazar's inner turmoil. Nicely written...

Posted 10 Years Ago


Eddie Davis

10 Years Ago

Thank you, I will correct my mistake after work today, thanks for your comments, Elina.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

264 Views
1 Review
Added on November 16, 2013
Last Updated on May 28, 2014
Tags: Drow, death, Elf, church, paladin, Knights, anxiety, fantasy, drama, religion, God, vision, magic

The Chronicles of Aurei Book 2: The Knights of Northmarch


Author

Eddie Davis
Eddie Davis

Springfield, MO



About
I'm a fantasy and science-fiction writer that enjoys sharing my tales with everyone. Three trilogies are offered here, all taking place in the same fantasy world of Synomenia. Other books and stor.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Eddie Davis


Two Two

A Chapter by Eddie Davis