Chapter 32: Through the Phone

Chapter 32: Through the Phone

A Chapter by Emunah June.

"I just don't know what to do."

 

I twirl the phone cord in my fingers and glance over at the clock. 9:00 PM. Shouldn't Brother be in bed by now? I was about to be, until he called me up and started to vent abotu how Koda isn't eating anything.

 

I wouldn't either.

 

I lean back in my chair. "Brother, if she doesn't eat anything by Friday, I'd take her to the hospital. She could get really sick, or possibly even--" I begin, but Brother cuts me off by screaming "DONT SAY IT."

 

"Why not?"

 

He says nothing.

 

I sigh. "Okay, well, tell her I said take care. I need to go. It's late, I'm tired, and--" I begin, but Brother cuts me off again. "Alphonse, please don't go. I need someone to talk to. Koda's not...not giving me what I need right now."

 

I ruffle my bangs in irritation. "Brother, you two have been married for all of...what? A few days?" I ask. He's quiet, but soon he slowly responds. "Six."

 

"Right. You've been married for about roughly a week and you're already having problems? C'mon..." I say as I look out my window. Brother begins to talk, but I zone out. Ayumi's outside, trimming the edges of the hedge. I grin. Out there, the way that she was, she looked almost like someone's wife.

 

"Alphonse, you there?"

 

I snap back into reality. "Oh yeah. I'm here. Sorry it's just..." I zone out briefly before coming back. "...nevermind. Anyhow, just...yeah, just take her to the hospital if she's not eating," I order. Brother gives a loud sigh, then I heard muffled sounds. "Alphonse look, I doubt that she's gonna wanna be within ten feet of that hospital. There's got to be another way...c'mon, Bro, help a guy out here. Its for Koda."

 

Those last words ring in my ears.

 

It's for Koda.

 

"For Koda, huh?" I mumble, in a soft but monotone voice. Brother lets out a sound of approval, and I clentch the phone hard. I could feel my anger uncoil inside of me like a snake until everything inside me exploded. "You wanna talk about what should be for Koda?" I growl.

 

You can feel the uneasiness crawl through the reciever. "Al...? What are you....?" he begins, and I cover my mouth to stop the words from coming out.

 

I should be the one wearing that ring!! I'm the one who took care of her while you were off on your cross-dimensional vacation!! I'm the one who wiped away her tears while she sat at the window waiting for you to come home!! ME!! Not you!! ME!!!

 

I swallow my pride and rub my forehead. "Uh...gum. Give her some gum. It'll help her build a chewing tolerence, and at some point she'll eat. Give her gum," I stutter, caging everything I really want to say to him as if the words themselves were wild animals.

 

He coughs. "Hmm...I guess I could give that a try. Thanks Alphonse. I owe you one."

 

You owe so many "ones" that you can't count them all.

 

"No problem. Now really I need to go."

"W-Wait Al!"

"What?!" I snap, not meaning to. I cover my mouth again.

 

There's a small, almost un-audiable sigh. "If you ever want to talk about anything, you can always talk to me. You know that, don't you? I'm here fo--"

 

I hang up the phone before he can even finish his sentence.

 

If you only knew, Brother.

If you only knew.

 

I lean against the chair and close my eyes.

I try to focus on other things.

Like Ayumi's car payments.

 

I jolt up. Oh yeah! Ayumi's car payments!

 

I grab my jacket. I should pay Kaen a visit, talk to him in person, and maybe afterwords talk to his sister.

 

But then I stop and look at the time again.

 

9:30 PM.

 

I slowly but surely slink my jacket off and place it where it was moments earlier. It was a bit late for a surprise visit. It'd probably be best to pop by tomorrow.

 

I peek out the window again.

Ayumi is gone.



© 2011 Emunah June.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Rae
Al, just let it go. Koda married Edward. Besides, you have the beautiful and sweet Ayumi to love now. ^^

Posted 12 Years Ago


Why didn't I know this was up >.< If I were Al, I would have hung up a LONG time ago!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Still envious that Koda married Edward eh. But keeps staring at Ayumi like she's some sort of jewel, or hunk of meat. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm................XD YAY YOU UPDATED!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Ayumi trimming hedges at 9 at night. :P

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

409 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 29, 2011
Last Updated on July 29, 2011

Out Came Love


Author

Emunah June.
Emunah June.

Inside My Own Mind, Amestris



About
Shalom Alechiem! Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Emmy, and I've been on this site for a long, long time. There was an admitted period of absence, and for that I apologize, but I am back no.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Prolouge Prolouge

A Chapter by Emunah June.