Chapter 7: Ladies and Gentlemen Presenting Emery and Eliza Fleming

Chapter 7: Ladies and Gentlemen Presenting Emery and Eliza Fleming

A Chapter by Frankie Nguyen
"

“A new baby is like the beginning of all things-wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities.” Eda J. Le Shan

"

It was time to go and Logan and I were carrying the kids out to the car. Me, I was in a wheelchair. It seemed pointless to me, but whatever I was just gazing at my baby boy. We got to the car and Logan put Eliza in her car seat. He went to me grabbing Emery and put him in his seat. He then smiled to the doctor and helped me into the passenger seat. His mother had actually let him put the car seats in his car. She had wanted them in her car, but he fought with her until he won. I couldn’t wait to get home. Home. Yeah Logan’s home was now my home. My parents had helped move my stuff into Logan’s room while I was in the hospital. I was so excited to get the kids home. Logan walked around the car checking the kids one last time before getting into the drivers seat and starting the car. We started to drive off in the direction of his house. I couldn’t help, but smile and look at our kids. Before to long we were at his house. I smiled getting out of the car and opening the back door. Logan unbuckled Eliza and I unbuckled Emery. We shut the doors, locking the car and going inside. His mother and father greeted us. They were all smiles. We smiled carrying them upstairs and laying them in the crib. We laid them on their backs and turned on soft music. We turned on the baby monitor and went to sit on a nearby couch in the room. The nursery looked great. It had beige walls with a white ceiling. We had glow in the dark stars on the ceiling and a light tan carpet. It looked really nice. I had begged him to convince his mother to keep it simple. She had wanted to put a chandelier in the room, but I thought it was completely unnecessary. When they were older they could feel free to decorate their rooms as they pleased. I smiled kissing Logan lightly on the cheek. This was great. We were a happy little family. This time couldn’t get any better. My life couldn’t get any better.

**

            Today was the day that I would do it. I knew that this was the right time. She probably thought that her life couldn’t get any better, but I knew it would. I would wait until she least expected it. I smiled kissing her forehead. It felt great to finally have the kid’s home. I didn’t like hospitals and I didn’t like to have my kid’s still in the hospital. I was surprised at how quite Eliza and Emery had been on the car ride home and now. Most kids I knew screamed all the time almost nonstop. I smiled. My kids were awesome. They were certainly special. They had a special mother so of course they would be.

**

            I was so relaxed right now. Just being in his arms made me relax, even on the most stressful day. Before to long his mother came in. “Can you guys come downstairs,” she said and left. Logan looked at me confused and I shrugged. We got up quietly and went downstairs. All the lights were off and we looked around. “Hello?” I said softly. Suddenly all the lights turned on and everyone was standing in the living room. “Surprise,” they all whispered as the held a sign saying Welcome Home. I chuckled. My parents were there, along with Amy and her parents; then Logan’s parents and a bunch of their friends that I didn’t know. His brother and his wife and his sister were even there. It was crazy. I hadn’t even met half these people. Amy came running over to me hugging me. She wanted to see the kids, but she said she could wait until the welcome home party was over. His brother and sister greeted him with hugs and then greeted me. We all started to mingle with each other talking about life and what not.

**

            ‘Now’ I thought to myself. This was the perfect time. I would do it now, in front of everyone. I walked over to Ophelia. “Hey babe can I ask you something?” I smiled at her as she turned around. “Sure” she said happily her eyes sparkling. Now was the time. I reached in my pocket pulling out the ring and getting on one knee. “You’ve given me not one, but two beautiful children. Would you marry me and make my life complete?” I asked her. I couldn’t believe how nervous I was about this. I had just purposed to the love of my life and I was as nervous as I was when I first asked her out. I saw as tears welled up in her eyes. I waited for what seemed like years, but I knew was only second. Then I heard it. The word I was waiting for. “Yes” she said wrapping her arms around me. I smiled picking her up and kissing her. I sat her back down slipping the ring on her finger. She smiled looking at the ring as everyone started to cheer loudly. Suddenly we heard the babies start to cry. I looked to Ophelia. “Duty calls.” I said with a soft chuckle. “We will be right back,” I told everyone as we walked up stairs hand in hand.

**

            I couldn’t believe it. He’d just asked me to marry him. It was the greatest feeling. We’d been through so much. We’d just brought the twins home and now we were engaged. When would we even have the time to get married? As we reached the twins room I picked up Eliza. I sat down in the nearby rocking chair. As I thought she was hungry. I was surprised at how fast I picked up on being a mother. Guess everyone was right about the motherly instinct. A few minutes later Logan took Eliza handing me Emery. He started to pat Eliza on the back until she burped. I saw him smile before he laid her back down. He walked back over to me and I handed him Emery. I smiled as he did the same to Emery and laid him back down. They were asleep in minutes. I got up and joined Logan by the side of the crib. It was like they were smiling. I grabbed Logan’s hand and we walked back downstairs. Everyone was still talking and enjoying each other’s company.

**

            I was surprised to see that everyone was still here. They seemed pretty lively still too. I myself was getting drowsy so I knew Ophelia would be getting drowsy. I smiled as Amy came over to us. She seemed hyper like always. She hadn’t seen the kids yet. “Can I see them yet?” Amy whined. I knew she was getting anxious. Everyone probably was. I sighed looking to her. “We’ll bring them down for a little while.” I smiled dragging Ophelia back up the stairs. She picked up Emery and I got Eliza. Both the kids stayed asleep curling into our warmth. I smiled looking over to Ophelia. She was smiling too. We walked carefully down the stairs and over to where everyone was. The room filled with camera flashes and ‘awws’. I smiled as the kids stayed asleep. I was glad that they were heavy sleepers. The lights soon ceased and the guests seemed to tire. It was like the babies’ presence had calmed the room. It was truly magical. The guests started to leave back to their houses. “When will you and Ophelia come back to school?” Amy asked me. “We’ll be there tomorrow.” Amy smiled. “Good before graduation is just around the corner.” I couldn’t believe it. It was like ever since I found out that Ophelia was pregnant everything else just started to fly by. Now my babies were here and graduation was coming. Time was surely flying by. Before I knew it, it’d be gone and I’d be walking across the stage to get my diploma. Then I’d go to college. The one-year off was kind of out of the question now. I needed to get my education. I needed a great job. After all I did have twins. Life was going by so fast and I couldn’t believe it.



© 2011 Frankie Nguyen


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

410 Views
Added on January 23, 2011
Last Updated on February 21, 2011
Tags: stuck, you, love, babies