The Art of Relationships

The Art of Relationships

A Chapter by Norma M Sutton
"

Team Renfield

"
Relationships
"noun
1.a connection, association, or involvement.
2.connection between persons by blood or marriage.
3.an emotional or other connection between people: the relationship
between teachers and students.
4.a sexual involvement; affair

Art
"noun
1.the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic
principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary
significance.
2.the class of objects subject to aesthetic criteria; works of art collectively, as
paintings, sculptures, or drawings: a museum of art; an art collection.
3.a field, genre, or category of art: Dance is an art.
4.the fine arts collectively, often excluding architecture: art and architecture.
5.any field using the skills or techniques of art: advertising art; industrial art.
6.(in printed matter) illustrative or decorative material: Is there any art with the
copy for this story?
7.the principles or methods governing any craft or branch of learning: the art
of baking; the art of selling.
8.the craft or trade using these principles or methods.
9.skill in conducting any human activity: a master at the art of conversation.
10.a branch of learning or university study, esp. one of the fine arts or the
humanities, as music, philosophy, or literature.



The art of relationships start at birth. We witness and are integrated into family. Family is the defining relationship. It is this relationship that all others are compared to and measured against. Until we leave the family womb, that relationship is what we know and consider to be normal.

How we view those first relationships determines how we will see all others. Good family relationships don't necessarily mean that future relationships will be good, although we would like to believe that it would. In fact the opposite seems to be true many times. Perhaps that is because we expect everyone to be similar to that family group or perhaps, deep down, we are looking for someone that is different, that doesn't feel like family. Regardless, many of those new relationships fall apart and drift away and these are just relations of friends.

When it comes to the relationship between two adults seeking love, marriage, understanding, the art of relationships becomes even more difficult. It becomes anything from a raging broiling battlefield to an insane asylum. Only rarely do two souls find one another and bring out the very best in each other. When that happens it is a beautiful thing. Perhaps, it is the hope of finding that type of relationship that is the true art in relationships.


© 2011 Norma M Sutton


Author's Note

Norma M Sutton
Prompt
There is an art to relationships, and art provokes discussion. What is the art
of relationships?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Relationships are like people .. all different, all sensitive, all deserving .. treat them gently and they're happy.

' Only rarely do two souls find one another and bring out the very best in each other' - maybe the rarity is because we can want too much and give too little ..

Posted 13 Years Ago


yes, relationships are an art
well said
no relationship is a duplicate
we are treated differently and seen differently through every pair of eyes
it truly is an art....yes :)
and its beautiful, sometimes light...sometimes dark
but all and all - necessary


Posted 13 Years Ago


This is a very interesting essay to me. I learned a lot reading it actually. Very thought provoking. Especially the dynamic of the family relationships and those we form outside of our family unit. Cool!

Posted 13 Years Ago


An excellent essay with a thoughtful introduction to the definitions of the two words.

Posted 13 Years Ago


To keep a relationship alive. Takes a lot of hard work. Took me a few years to quit complaining. I learn better to have silence then create rage. Your words are true.
"Only rarely do two souls find one another and bring out the very best in each other. "
To know art can take a lifetime. A excellent story.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


Oh yes! The Art is discussed in very true terms here!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very true indeed.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

399 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 6, 2010
Last Updated on October 4, 2011


Author

Norma M Sutton
Norma M Sutton

Bostic, NC



About
Norma Moore Sutton has written and published two children's books: The First Lamb and Harry Goes To The Fair She has written and published the first book in the Haunting Memories Series: Matthe.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..