Chapter 38

Chapter 38

A Chapter by Eidolon Michael
"

As Maximillion takes Rene to Angel, the princess's allies rush against the clock to stop an inevitable death.

"

"Where could she have gone?"Amber asked for the umpteenth time.

"I don't know,"Daniel sadi quietly as he finished getting dressed, complete with jeans, a t-shirt, and a belt that held a longsword in a scabbard.

"This thing is kinda heavy,"Ralph said as he strapped his sword onto his back.

"Oh well,"Amber said angrily."I ordered them so we would all have protection. Get over it!"

"Thanks,"Roran said. He had appreciated Amber's generous gift. It wasn't actually a gift, but he considered it one due to the fact that Amber had not told them she was ordering them.

However, with this action came confusion. Everyone but Roran had wondered why they had to use swords and not guns. Roran had pointed out that in a battle, they would be in more danger of hitting each other than the enemy and Amber had pointed out that in a civil war, it was uncommon for guns to be used against the kingdom's own countrymen. Also, guns were only really available during times of war.

"Is everyone ready?"Amber asked. Everyone nodded. They all quickly left, Amber leading them.

"Maximillion, if you hurt her,"Amber vowed to herself,"I swear I will kill you in the most painful way I can."

 

Rene walked slowly ahead of Maximillion, following his orders carefully. She was not afraid of him and she knew she could get away easily, but she kew that this chance might not come again-the chance to find out where Angel is.

She and Maximillion eventually arrived at what appeared to be a castle-like warehouse justo outside of the city. Maximillion grabbed Rene roughly and walked through the front doors easily.

The inside was strangely laid out. Straight ahead there was another door. About halfway through the room were doors on the left and right. Rene noticed that about twenty feet above each door on the sides were other doors that opened into nothing but air. Rene assumed that Angel had added these doors to either trap her intruders of injure them if they simply ran out the doors without paying attention.

Maximillion did not take her to any of the side room,s but into the door straight across. This led to a long hallway that was lit only by torches on the wall that were five feet apart from each other all the way down. Maximillion laid the wat down the long hallway, finally stopping in front of the black door with a golden skull in the center. He knocked on the door softly.

"Come in,"Rene heard a voice say, but before she could try and figure out who it was, she was dragged inside.

The first thing Rene noticed about the room was that it was very small. It was only about the size of a classroom. The second thing she noticed was the decorations. Straight ahead of her was Angel, sitting calmly in what appeared to be a throne. Above her was a large picture, which Rene recognized as the family crest. The room was painted indigo, with a black marble floor. Rene felt even more depressed than the current situation called for as she stood in the room.

"Why did you bring her to me?"Angel asked Maximillion coldly, who pushed Rene forward to stand in front of her.

"I thought you would like to have the honor of killing her,"Maximillion said."Now, if you don't mind, I will accept my payment."

"Payment?"Angel said."Why would I pay you?"

"You said-"

"I know what I said,"Angel spat coldly, standing up and looking Rene up and down."I said that I would pay you to kill Rene. Not bring her to me!"

"I thought-"

"I was not going to pay you to think!"Angel snapped."The whole point of hiring you was so I wouldn't have to get my hands dirty with this! The last thing I need is for the people to think that I'm a murderer."

"What?"Maximillion said in shock.She had only been using him?

"Idiotic boy, do not look so furious,"Angel said cooly."People have used you as a scapegoat for quite a while it seems."

"Those people weren't-"

"Yeah right,"Angel said coldly."Well then, since you wre too stupid to do as I asked, I'll have to kill this girl myself."

Angel grabbed Rene, turned her around and slammed Rene into the wall. Rene gave a cry of pain and attempted to break free of the ropes Angel started tying around her.

"Now, dear sister,"Angel said, tying the last knot and pulling out her own knife,"It is time for you to die."

"I thought you didn't want to get your hands dirty with that?"Maximillion asked, seething in anger.

"I killed Queen Shayla, I can do this,"Angel asked, looking at Rene in hatred.

"You killed Queen Shayla?"Maximillion asked quietly, as his anger evaporated into confusion. He had heard about Queen Shayla's death, but not that it had been a murder. He usually stayed isolated from people between jobs, so this was coming as shock to him.

"Of course I did,"Angel said coldly, examining where to stab Rene first.

Queen Shayla...had been murdered...by her daughter and his employer? Maximillion's thoughts were racing as he remembered meeting Queen Shayla for the first time, how kind she had been, and how she had given him a life again...

"How did you kill her?"he asked angrily.

"The castle explosion! Where have you been?"Angel asked, preparing her knife.

Maximillion glared at Angel's back. She used him? And killed the person who helped him so much? This woman...does not deserve to be queen...

Rene looked at Angel and, for the first time in Angel's presence, she was actually scared that she was going to die. There was noone there to save her and she couldn't even save herself. Maybe she did deserve to die...

"Now Rene...DIE!"Angel yelled and Rene closed her eyes, waiting for the attack to come.

A scream of pain made Rene open her eyes She saw Angel fall to the ground, bleeding, and felt two hands pick her up and throw her over their shoulder.

"Put me down!"Rene yelled as Maximillion carried her out of the room and down the hallway.

"No,"Maximillion said firmly, emerging into the main foyer quickly.

"Why not?!"Rene demanded as Maximillion quickly ran to one of the side rooms, avoiding the large mob of guards that were blocking the exit.

"I have my reasons,"Maximillion said as he ran through the doorway and began running down the hallway quickly.

"Why are you saving me?"Rene demanded as Maximillion took a right down another hallway."You were just trying to kill me."

"Will you shut up?"Maximillion asked angrily as he quickly stopped running down the hallway and ran instead down a hallway to his right.

"No, tell me-"

Rene suddenly hit the ground hard as Maximillion dropped her unceremoniously on the ground.

"If you keep talking,"he said, glaring at her,"We'll never get out of here."

Rene nodded and Maximillion motioned for her to climb onto his back. She obeyed and the moment she was comfortably settled, he started running again.

Why would he save me? Rene thought to herself. He was just trying to-

"Get ready!"

"For what?!"Rene asked, frightened as her savior ran up some stairs.

"This!"he replied and he emerged from one of the trick doors, flying wildly through the air, Rene screaming in his ear.

He landed perfectly, now standing in the empty foyer.

"What was the point of that?"Rene asked as she climbed off of his back.

"To lead the guards away,"Maximillion replied as he and Rene ran to the exit.

They arrived outside, unable to see in the darkness in front of them.

"We should get back to the palace,"Maximillion said."The others probably know you're gone and are lookin for you."

"Then let's look for them instead of going to the palace,"Rene suggested. Maximillion nodded and Rene lead the way back to teh city quietly.

"Hey Maximillion?"

"Yeah?"

"Even though you tried to let Angel kill me...thanks for saving me."

Maximillion did not answer, but he felt a smile play on his lips. And strangely, it was a satisfied smile.

"Anytime,"he muttered and he felt Rene grab his arm for protection.

"Don't get used to this,"he warned.

"Don't worry, I won't,"Rene replied and she kept walking beside him, feeling as though she had just been saved by a knight in shining armor.

 



© 2010 Eidolon Michael


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

343 Views
Added on April 19, 2010
Last Updated on April 19, 2010


Author

Eidolon Michael
Eidolon Michael

The Gates of Zonei, TX



About
My name is Michael and I am 18 years old. I'm a pretty nice guy(mostly) but if I don't like you, I'll tell you so,yeah.I'm really short for a guy (5ft, 6in.) and I'm pretty average weight(125lbs).. more..

Writing