Chapter Five

Chapter Five

A Chapter by Brittana0909

Mackenzie’s POV 

            I feel so refreshed; I can’t even remember the last time I woke up feeling relaxed and ready for the day. I get out of bed and my first thought is to check my phone. I need reassurance that yesterday really happened. I open my messages and the first conversation that comes up is Adrianna’s from last night. I cannot even contain my smile, because she really is back in my life.

            I contemplate whether I should text her or not, but I don’t want to look too clingy, especially after everything that happened yesterday. I throw my phone down on my bed and move to my closet to get dressed. As I’m finishing up and pulling my shirt over my head, I hear a familiar ringtone. I unlock my phone to find a new text.

            From Nay Nay <3: Good morning, girlie! I hope you and my godbabies are doing well today. It’s your day off so you are coming with me for a little day trip. It’s a surprise! ;) Be here in an hour.

            To Nay Nay <3: We are all doing fine. And I would love to hang, babe, but would you be able to pick me up? My car is at work.

            From Nay Nay <3: At work? Are you okay? Mackenzie, how did you get home yesterday? Why didn’t you call me?

            To Nay Nay <3: Chill with the 20 questions! I’m fine, Nay. An old friend brought me home, but I’ll tell you all about it when you come pick me up. Do I need to bring a bag or will we be home by tonight?

Just then my phone rings, I roll my eyes, and hit the answer button as I sit down on my bed.

            “I real-“

            “Mackenzie Lynn Jackson, you did not just tell me to chill out! Now, don’t lie to me. What’s wrong?”

            “Naya, I really am fine!” I answer with a light laugh at her freak out. “We’re fine! Now, I promise promise promise I will tell you everything on the way to wherever you are taking me hostage. Answer my question, please.”

            “Bring a bag just in case. I’ve yet to determine if you are really okay and if I think you need more relaxation, then we’re staying the night.” I can practically hear her smirking through the phone.

            “Haha! Okay, what kind of clothes? Casual, dressy?”

            “Umm.. casual is fine. You’re so cute in anything right now anyway. Bring that new sundress mom got you last weekend for tomorrow. Have you got to wear it yet?”

            “No. I’m either at work or at home. Not really any reason to, but I’ll bring it. Do I need anything else?”

            “Just clothes and you, mamacita! All the other essentials will be there. Oh wait! Laguna. Bring Laguna Beach seasons 1-3! Pleasseee!!”

            “Haha! You got it, babe! How long do I have to get ready?”

            “Well, I’m ready, so I can be over in 10 minutes to get you, but no rush. The theme for the day is relaxation. I’ll see you in a bit, hun!”

            I hang up the phone and grab a tote from my closet. Plus side to this apartment is my major walk-in closet. I could live in here. I decide to leave my outfit on that I’m already in, because it’s casual, but still decent. I pack up pajamas, my clothes for tomorrow, some flats, and the DVDs. I go to the bathroom, brush my teeth and put my contacts in. As I’m finishing up, my phone chimes.

            From Adrianna: Good morning! I’m really sorry about yesterday. Between my friends and then having to run out so fast. :( I hope you have a better day today! Do you need a ride to your car? I can take you.

            To Adrianna: Good morning to you too! :) I’m the one who should be apologizing for yesterday. That was a sucky way to first see you again, but thank you for everything you did. As for my car, I’m okay. :)

            From Adrianna: Well, I would love to hang out and talk some more! Are you up for coffee and hot chocolate? I know there’s a lot we need to catch up with.

Well, this sucks.

            To Adrianna: I would love to, but Naya is actually on her way to come get me. She’s kidnapping me for the next 12-24 hours. I’m sorry, Ade. :/

            From Adrianna: Oh, it’s alright. Where is she taking you?

It probably wasn’t the best idea to mention this, but I’m not going to lie. Seriously, the Rivera’s are my family. They’ve been more of a family to me than my own ever since Mychal and I were in preschool, but even when we were teenagers Ade was weirded out my mine and Naya’s friendship. Honestly though, she’s my big sister.

            To Adrianna: I don’t know where we’re going. She just said the theme is “relaxation” and to bring the minimum. We’re probably just going up to her parents’ old beach house in Ventura.

            From Adrianna: Oh okay. Well, you’ll have your phone right? So we can text?

            To Adrianna: I hope so! Unless she tries to confiscate it; which she tends to try and do lately. I’ll fight her for it though. I’ll just pout if she tries anything. ;) So, what do you have planned today?

            From Adrianna: Are you guys just going to leave your car at work? And I don’t have anything planned. Just hanging out at home.

I frown at this, because it’s a beautiful day out and no one should be cooped up at home. As I’m about to respond, I hear keys turning in the locks at the door.

            “Honey, where are you?” Naya calls out, but I hear her footsteps coming closer to my room, so I just open my phone to reply to my ex.

            To Adrianna: Nay just got here, maybe I can ask if you can come with! :) It’ll be fun!

            “Hey baby girl, how are you? You know, you are so adorably pregnant and walking into this apartment I don’t see one baby item.” Naya asks as she kisses my forehead. “And how are my perfect godbabies today?” She bends over and places her hands on both sides of my stomach and gives it two kisses. I laugh causing my belly to shake.

            “You’re so weird and I don’t have anything because I can’t afford the big things right now. I’m still saving up. I have bottles and tons of clothes and little essentials. I just need to wait a little to buy the rest.” I say as I hear my phone chime from Ade’s response, “But, anyway, the three of us are okay. We’re hungry though and would love if Auntie Naya would get us some food.” I smile as she lies down on the bed next to me. Her left hand is moving around my stomach to feel the babies kick.

            From Adrianna: No, honestly, it’s fine. I have obligations at home today, so we can just text. No worries!

            “Lucky for you guys that Auntie brought some of mom’s famous breakfast burritos! Who you texting, Kenz?” My face lights up and I move right away to get out of bed, but my brain is moving faster than my body. I’m only half way up by the time Naya is around the bed and holding her arms out for me.

            “You are amazing!” I tell her as I walk to the kitchen and ignore her question as I send a quick reply.

            To Adrianna: Okay, maybe next time. :) I’m going to eat real quick and I’ll text you in the car.

            “So, that’s how you’re going to play this? Mackenzie Lynn, who is it? You better tell them you’ll talk to them on Sunday, because you’re not getting your phone back til then.” I see her smirking, which means she’s up to something and she really would take my phone away. My eyes widen and she just laughs.

            “Nay, you can’t! I’ll tell you who it was, but please. I need my phone this weekend.” I beg her, but she just shakes her head.

            “Kenzie, you need to relax. You’re 7.5 months pregnant with twins! You could pop any day now. You don’t relax with your phone, because you’re so worried about social media and Hollywood. Now, gimme your phone.” She puts her hand out for it, but I just shake my head and put my phone in my bra.

            “It’s not going to stop me. I’ll reach in and get it.”

            “I’m calling mom.” I get up and walk over to the couch as I’m scrolling through my phone for her mom’s number. As I sit down, the phone starts ringing, I put it on speaker, and I look over to see Naya getting plates and silverware from the kitchen for breakfast. I stick my tongue out at her as Yolanda answers.

            “Hola, honey! How are you and my grandbabies today? Did you eat your burrito yet? I put in extra bacon and cheese just for you!” I hear her cheerfully through the phone and her smile is still infectious, even when I can’t see it.

            “Hi mama, you’re on speaker. We’re okay, but I haven’t gotten to eat yet.”

            “Mama? You never- Uh oh. Naya Marie did you do something to upset Mackenzie?” I stick my tongue out at her again and she comes over to sit next to me.

            “She wants my phone, because she’s being nosey and overprotective. Get her in trouble!” I try to say with a pout, but I can’t help but start smiling.

            “Mom, that’s not true! You know how she is with social media. She’s obsessed and we want her to relax this weekend, right? So I told her to give me her phone, but she’s all on the DL right now over someone she’s texting and won’t tell me who it is and won’t give me her phone. Tell her to give me the damn phone, mom.”

            “My girls, why don’t you compromise? Mackenzie, delete your social media apps for the weekend. Naya, quit bothering your sister. She’s pregnant with my grandbabies and if you make her pout, so help me God, I will come down on you like the hand of God. I don’t care how big of a star you are now. I’m still your mother. You’ll be grounded.”

            We both laugh because we can hear her smirk through the phone. “Now, your father wants to talk to you girls before you head out.” We hear her call for George. “I love you girls. Be safe!”

            “We love you too!” We both yell.

            “Hello, my lovelies! How are you two doing today?” We exchanged pleasantries and I assured him that I am staying off my feet and still taking my vitamins. “Now girls, I want you both to relax and have a good time today. I just wanted to check in beforehand. If you need anything, you know we’re always here.”

            “Thank you. We love you!” We yell and I hang up the phone. I look up to see Naya staring at me. “You heard the woman. Delete! Delete!” I let out a small laugh and delete the eight social media apps I have.

            “Are you happy now?”

            “Not until you tell me who you were texting.” She deadpans as she looks down at her nails.

            “Okay, just give me the day. By the end to the day today, I can almost promise you I’ll know what’s going on and I’ll tell you. Just, please, give me today.” I look straight into her eyes so she knows I’m being honest with her.

            She groans, “Alright. You have until we go to bed tonight. Speaking of, we cannot forget your body pillows. I’m going to go grab those.” She states as she gets up to help me up. “You go back to the kitchen and start eating.”

            Thirty minutes later we’re in the car and I already tell by the route she’s using that we’re heading to the beach house. We haven’t been there for a couple years, because of our different schedules, but I’m glad she’s on hiatus right now. She should be off until the twins are about two months and I know it’ll be nice to have an extra set of hands.

            While Naya is driving, I decide to text Adrianna back.

            To Adrianna: Alright, sorry for such a long wait, but we’re in the car now on the way to the house.

            From Adrianna: It’s okay. I had some things to handle here anyway, but can you talk now?

            To Adrianna: Of course! I get to keep my phone for the weekend. :P No interruptions for the next hour. :)

            From Adrianna: Okay, so I was thinking we could play 20 questions, but we don’t have to always ask a question, we could voluntarily give up something about ourselves to the other. Get it? To get to know each other again. :/ Idk. It’s probably dumb.

            To Adrianna: No! I love it! I’ll start by saying something. Umm.. my favorite color’s pink. :)

            From Adrianna: Kenzie, it’s been pink since I met you. I’m talking about something that’s changed. I’ll ask a question.. Do you still talk to Samantha and Eric?

            To Adrianna: Of course! Eric is going to be the babies’ godfather. He’s really settled in the last year. He’s got an awesome job and I bet Ryan is going to propose to him within the year! Okay, my turn.. have you dated since we broke up?

            From Adrianna: Wow.. don’t beat around the bush. Yes, I have. One guy.

            To Adrianna: Well, you knew of my experience so.. I just figured I’d ask. Your turn.

            From Adrianna: What did you decide to go to school for?

            To Adrianna: I started going for business, because I want to do PR work. I know all the ins and outs anyway being with Naya all the time and it seems fun. :) Did you get your degree in nursing?

            From Adrianna: Not yet, there was a small setback, but I’m still working towards it. I’m actually interning and doing school right now through Cedars-Sinai. Do you know the babies’ genders?

            To Adrianna: Boy/Girl. :) One of each. It’s perfect! I’m going to give something up now: I’m thinking I want to name them Anya and Conner. But no one knows. So shh!

            From Adrianna: Like.. from Degrassi?

            To Adrianna: Umm.. maybe? Would that be bad? :(

            From Adrianna: No, I think that’s awesome! I love those names. And season 7 was always your favorite. I have a really serious question now. Are you ready?

            To Adrianna: Umm.. I guess. :/

            From Adrianna: Why didn’t you mention your parents or family yesterday? My mom called your house last night and they said they don’t know you.

            To Adrianna: This really isn’t something to talk about through text and I don’t appreciate you talking to your family about me, Adrianna. I don’t want to play this game anymore. I’ll talk to you later.

I send the text and turn my phone off, putting it into my purse. I close my eyes and let out a deep breath. Naya takes my hand in hers and gives it a small squeeze. “Everything okay, baby girl?” I shrug my shoulders.

            “Maybe you were right. I should have just stopped texting them and given you my phone.” I say as my voice cracks and tears start to fall down my face. I thought I had moved past the whole thing with my family, but I guess not. No actually, I think I’m more mad at the fact that Adrianna is already telling people about me when I didn’t tell her anything or give her permission. Now they all know! They all know I’m unwanted and a burden. Again.

            Naya pulls the Jeep over to the side of the road and turns to face me. The pads of her thumbs wiping the tears off my face, but she just waits for me to continue. “They didn’t want me. They don’t want me or the babies. I’m a failure and a mistake.” I sob as I throw my arms around my sister as best I could with my stomach in the way.

            “No! I will not allow you to think that. You are amazing and sweet and funny and so kind and respectful to everyone around you. You are one of the smartest women I know. Now what brought all this on? Is that who you’re talking to? Quinn or Tyler o-or your parents?”

            She’s looking straight into my eyes and is running her hands up and down my arms. I shake my head as I wipe my tears and answer her. “No. It’s Adrianna.” I pause and look at her. She’s just looking back, emotionless.

            “Okay, we’re only about ten minutes from the house. I have a feeling this is going to be a long story. Can you calm down and we can talk when we get there?” I nod my head and start to take deep breaths.

             She has us there in eight minutes and unloads the Jeep in another four. I put my phone and purse on the kitchen counter and lay down on the couch to wait for her to finish. When she does, she sits down and pulls my legs into her lap and starts massaging them. “Okay, honey, now what’s going on?”

            I tell her the whole story from the beginning; when her friends came in and started with me and told her about how she took me home and that’s why my car was still at work. About how she knows about Kyle and we both fell asleep on the couch. This reminds me now about her nightmare. I finally tell her about the 20 questions game and how she brought up my parents.

            “Why would she even try to address something like that through a text? And after not talking to you for forever, she just thinks she can waltz in and get answers when she wants them? That’s the stupidest thing! Especially knowing that you had an attack yesterday!” She groaned out. “What did you reply?”

            “Just that I didn’t want to talk about it through texting and that I didn’t want to play anymore. Then I shut my phone off.” I look down at my lap and start playing with the bottom of my shirt.

            “Stop that.” Naya reaches over and grabs my hands to steady them. “I swear, you’ve done that since you were three. Now, what is going on with you two? Are you going to get back together?”

            “Naya! We just saw each other yesterday for the first time in two years and I’m 7.5 months pregnant with an abusive man’s children. Who the hell would want to be with me?” I tell her and her whole face softens.

            “Mackenzie, you are wanted. I was only asking, because of these babies. You need to be careful now, honey, who you are with because they will be around the twins too. You don’t want someone coming in and out of your life that’s just going to cause you stress. Just be careful. Please.”

            I know Naya and Ade haven’t had the cleanest of histories. They kind of had a love/hate thing going on. They didn’t really understand the other, but they loved me enough to put up with each other. They never got into arguments though; that I know of. Naya just played the role of protective older sister a little too hard sometimes and Adrianna’s stubborn as hell and wouldn’t put up with it without a fight.

            “I will be careful, Nay. I promise. As of right now, I really just miss her friendship. That’s all I’m looking for right now. Friendship.”

            “Okay. Now, you look tired and stressed. Why don’t we go relax and watch Kristin make a fool outta herself in Cabo?” She smirks at me and helps me up. We go and lay down in the master bed and I hug one of my body pillows. She sets up the movie and lies on the other side of the pillow facing me. We’re watching LC, Lo, Morgan, and Cristina figure out whom to invite to the Black and White party when I feel my eyes starting to get heavy. I didn’t even make it to Trey’s barbeque before I fell asleep.

Naya’s POV

            “Hey, babe, I’m gonna go-” I look over to Kenzie and she’s fast asleep with her arms and legs wrapped around her pillow. The first disc is over, so I lean over and kiss her forehead before getting out of bed and turning everything off.

            I walk into the kitchen to make something for lunch when I see Kenzie’s phone on the table. I would never disrespect her by snooping, but it’s going to be really hard. I just want to know what Adrianna replied. I go to grab the phone, “No!” I mentally tell myself and bring the phone into the bedroom to place on the side table next to the sleeping blonde.

            I walk back into the kitchen and start making some enchiladas for lunch. Personally, I’ve been craving her lasagna, but I know she hasn’t had much energy lately and she has wanted any kind of Mexican food since she was around three months pregnant. So, enchiladas it is! I’m about half way through making them when I feel her belly hit my back and only about half her arms wrap around my waist.

            “This belly blows. I can’t even give you a good hug to say thank you.” I hear her pouting against my back and I know we’re going to be mood swinging the rest of the night. Definitely time to call for some reinforcements to cheer her up.

            “First off, you are not that big.” I say as I turn around to give her a better hug. “You don’t even look like you’re carrying twins; you’ve gained only like half of what normal women gain with twins. So stop complaining. You are so adorable and without that belly, I get no niece and nephew, so suck it up!” I wink at her and boop her on the nose with one finger.

            “Mmm.. enchiladas!” She breathes in deep and dips her finger in the sauce to try it. “You are an angel from above, Naya Marie.” She kisses my cheek and moves to sit at the kitchen table.

            “How about we have a dinner party?” I suggest after putting the enchiladas into the oven. I turn and see her giving me the ‘what is your secret plan’ look. “No, secrets. I just want you to have fun and I was thinking of inviting Mychal and Lea out since they are home tonight. You in? No pressure.”

            “No, that’s fine! I miss them anyway. I’ll call them.” She responds with a smile and leaves the room to grab her phone. As she’s walking back a couple minutes later, I hear the phone ringing through the speaker twice before I hear Lea’s voice. “Hello?”

            “Hey Lea!” We both speak into the phone. “How are you today?” Kenzie asks.

            “Hey babes! I’m doing well. How are you today, mamas? Getting some rest, I hope.”

            “I’m okay. Thank you! I actually just woke up from a little nap, so I’m feeling good. Naya is making dinner up at the beach house and we were wondering if you wanted to come out and join us?”

            “We’d love to! We’re finishing up some stuff at mom and dad’s right now, I’ll let Mychal know and we’ll drive out. We’ll be there in an hour?”

            “Okay! See you then! Love you!” She hangs up the phone, locks it, and pushes it across the counter. I hear her exhale, get up, and walk to the couch to sit. I grab her phone and I follow her.

            “As much as I don’t like all this right now, you need to at least see what she has to say.” I tell her as I try to hand her the phone. “Don’t play. I heard your phone go off like three times.”

            “Four.” She whispers as she takes the phone out of my hand and unlocks it. Her thumb hesitates over her messages button for a couple seconds before she finally opens it. Instantly, the messages from Adrianna appear on her screen.

            From Adrianna: I’m sorry, Mackenzie. You’re right. It’s not something you should tell me over texting. You don’t even have to tell me at all! I promise I won’t push the subject anymore.

            From Adrianna: And I also didn’t tell my family about you. Your name got brought up last night and Miguel searched the internet for you and found a news article.

            From Adrianna: I really am sorry, Kenzie. Please text me back. You guys were driving. At least let me know that you’re safe. I’m thinking the worst.

            From Adrianna: I swear, Mackenzie Lynn Jackson. I’m freaking out here. Text me that you hate me. That you made it safe. That you never want to see me again. Anything! Or else I’m driving up there myself to make sure.

“She also called me three times. Now I feel bad. She’s scared. I think I’m going to call her really quick.” She looks up to me as if she’s asking permission. That look tells me that she’s scared too. She’s had the same look on her face throughout her life and it breaks my heart every time.

            “You’re an adult now, Kenz. You’re about to be a mother. No more asking permission and hoping for the best. Just jump. We’ll always be here for you no matter what.” I tell her with a soft smile. She nods and walks to the bedroom to call the Latina.

Mackenzie’s POV

            I dial the number as I close the bedroom door and sit down on the chaise. After the third ring, a familiar voice answers.

            “Mackenzie? Is everything okay?”

            “Everything’s fine, mama. I just need some advice.”

            “Wow. Two ‘mamas’ in one day. Are you sure you’re okay, baby girl?” I can hear the worry in her voice, but honestly, I just don’t know what to feel right now.

            “I don’t know anymore.” I say and I know she heard my voice crack. “I thought I had everything figured out. For me. And for the babies when they come. But now I’m lost and I don’t know what to do. I want her in my life again, I really do, but I just don’t know how. I know we can’t just jump back into what we had before, but is it bad that I want to? This is confusing.”

            The tears are streaming down my face, but I’m not fully sobbing; just upset.

            “First of all, baby, who are we talking about?”

            “Adrianna.”

            “Oh wow.  Okay. So you’re thinking of contacting her again?”

            “No, we ran into each other yesterday, I had an attack, she helped me, we slept together, she left..”

            “Whoa! What? Mackenzie. You slept together?!” My eyes widen now because I realize how that sounds and I take the time to explain the whole story from the start to the missed text messages and calls.

            “Okay, so what do you need advice on? I’m a little confused. Where’s Naya she was supposed to stay with you all weekend.”

            “She’s in the living room. I just don’t know how to act with Ade, because yesterday we were both touchy with each other and kissed, not on the lips, but like foreheads and cheeks. I just don’t know if we can go back into a friendship since our initial friendship only lasted 8 months until we started dating for the next 20 months after that.”

            “It’s okay! The advice I would give you is to continue what you have going right now for the next month. Texting, calling, maybe the occasional coffee, but nothing after 5pm and never by yourselves or in your apartments. You two were always handsy when you were together, even with people with you. But get to know each other for a month, if you think you’re ready for the next step after that, then go for it. Just make sure you’re both healthy enough to be around the babies. If you feel that she isn’t ready or willing to take responsibility, then you need to let her know that you cannot be in it. You are in control now, Mackenzie. Remember that. I know that you’re used to people controlling your actions and how to think, but my love, you are so much more mature and in control than ever before. Yesterday was your first attack in months and we are so proud of you for that! Whatever you decide with Adrianna, we will support you 100%.”

            I smile at that, “That’s exactly what Nay said too.”

            “I’m so glad that girl got something good out of all my advice through the years.”

            That makes me laugh a little, “Okay, thanks mama. I’m going to let you go. Mychal and Lea are almost here and I want to text Adrianna before she ends up at the door too.”

            “Okay. I love you girls. I’ll see you both tomorrow.”

            “Wait, what’s tomorrow? Did I forget something?” I scrunch my nose up as Naya walks in the room and I hear her giggle. Which makes me laugh because of the way she bites her tongue a little at the end of her laugh.

            “Oh.. umm.. no. No-nothing’s planned. I just, uh- figured we could do a girls day. Yea. Would that be okay?” I shrug my shoulders, even though she can’t see me.

            “I would think so. Let me ask Nay Nay.” I put the phone on speaker as I speak. “Hey, would I be okay if we have a girls day with mom tomorrow? I don’t have anything planned.”

            “Wait, wha-” But before she could finish her question, Yolanda speaks up again.

            “You’re free tomorrow, right Naya, because I said I’d see Kenzie tomorrow and she got confused, but I only want a girls day, because there’s nothing planned for tomorrow.”

            “Oh, totes! I’m down for girls day.” She says and I just look from her to my phone and shrug my shoulders, agree to tomorrow at 3pm when we get back into town, and hang up.

            “Now, you going to tell my why you called mama instead of Adrianna?” Naya asks as I lay onto my side.

            “I just needed more advice. I know you all say I’ve gotten stronger and better with handling things, but I don’t always feel like I have. I don’t know what to do with Ade, because I want something that I know others won’t like.”    

            “Like what?”

            “I want to be together with her again, Nay. I would settle for being her friend, but honestly, I don’t know how to be her friend. I don’t remember how to do it! We were only “just friends” for 28% of our whole relationship. I miss her!”

            “Only you would claim that you forgot how to be someone’s friend, but then do complex math in your head all in the same breath.” She responds with a small smile.

            “Well really, it’s basic math. We knew each other for 28 months. 28 out of 100. It goes in around 3.6 times. 8 months were when we were “just friends,” and that goes into 28 3.5 times. So really, you would round the 28.5% up to 29%, but I figured I’d make it easier for you.” I deadpan with my eyes closed, so I can’t see her smirk.

            “As I’ve always said, you are the smartest person I know. But seriously, Kenz, you need to text Adrianna, because if she really does show up here, I don’t know if I can handle myself this early in this new development.”

            I nod twice as we hear the front door open. “Okay.”

            “Hello? Where are you guys?” Lea calls.

            “Aye! Yo! Where ma sistas at?” Mychal yells and we can hear Lea slap him playfully. “Owe. Babe!”

            We laugh and Naya helps me up to move out to the living room. “We’re on our way out!” She calls as I fix my shirt over my stomach. We walk out and I swear I’ve never seen Mychal’s face light up so much.

            “Look at you! You are so much bigger than I saw you last!” He says as he engulfs me in a huge, but gentle hug and kisses my forehead since he is so much taller than me.

            “Mychal!” “Why would you say that?” I hear Lea and Naya tell him and Naya punches him in the arm.

            “What? She is. I haven’t seen her since she was like, what, four months?” He says as he turns and asks me the last question.

            “Yea. I was. And I was like 30 pounds lighter.” I roll my eyes and move to sit on the couch. I pull out my phone to text Adrianna back.

            “Get in the kitchen right now before I kick your a*s.” Naya tells Mychal as she pushes him out of the room.

            To Adrianna: Just got your texts. Obviously I’m fine since I’m texting you. I just took a nap and called Yolanda, so I didn’t have time to text til now.

            From Adrianna: I’m glad you’re okay. It’s been hours. I was worried. Have you had a good time so far?

            To Adrianna: Yea. Nay and I watched Laguna until I fell asleep and she made enchiladas for dinner. Mychal and Lea just got here so we’ll be eating soon.

            From Adrianna: Lea?

            To Adrianna: Yea, Mychal’s girlfriend. They started dating a couple months after I moved to New York. She goes to UCLA with him.

            From Adrianna: Gotcha.

            To Adrianna: Yea. So, is that it?

            From Adrianna: I hope not. What’s wrong? Are you upset with me still? I said I was sorry and I promise you I didn’t tell any of my family about you. They don’t even know I saw you yesterday, if that’s what you’re worried about.

            To Adrianna: I’m not 100% upset with you still. I honestly just don’t know what I’m feeling right now. I am really hungry though. So I’m going to eat. I’ll talk to you later.

Naya’s POV (at the same time)

            “Get in the kitchen right now before I kick your a*s.” I tell my brother as I push him into the kitchen and Lea follows us. They stop at the island, while I walk around to get the food out of the oven. I turn and whisper shout to him. “Why the hell would you say that to her? She’s had a really s****y couple of days and you come over here and call her fat! Why would you ever call a pregnant woman fat? Especially when that pregnant woman is your little sister?”

            “Dude, sis, chill out! How was I supposed to know she’s had a bad couple of days? Why didn’t you tell Lea when you talked on the phone? And I didn’t call her fat. I was just pointing out that she’s bigger because I haven’t seen her in like three months!”

            “I couldn’t tell Lea, because Kenzie was right there and I wanted to text you guys before you got here, but I ran out of time because I had to finish dinner and deal with an hormonal Kenz. She even called mom! And mama’d her!”

            “Oh s**t. She hasn’t cried mama since she got kicked out. I’m sorry, Nay. I’ll talk to her in a bit.”

            “I’m confused, which is surprising after being around this family for two years; but what is ‘crying mama?’” Lea questioned as she sets the table. I hand her the silverware to put out.

            “See, we met Mackenzie when she was three when her and Mychal started preschool. They became best friends and were inseparable after, like, their third day. Well, you know how we all are now. We’re family. We’re brother and sisters.”

            “Which I still don’t understand how that came about either. No one really talks about it.”

            “Because her family is and always has been fucked up insane.” Mychal answers.

            “Unfortunately, it’s true. They were always leaving Kenz with us. Quinn and Tyler were older, so they stayed with friends; but there were times when Kenzie would come home from school, starting in second or third grade, and her parents would just be gone. She’d come over to ours and cry for hours until she fell asleep. That’s when her attacks started happening. Our mom was actually the one that took her to the doctor in the first place to get her medicine.”

            Mychal continued the story while I finished putting the food on the table. “Well, she first started by calling Nay her sister; probably when we were like six. She just told her that she treated her better than Quinn did. I was her ‘brother’ shortly after that when I stuck up for her when these other kids made fun of her for this hideous outfit she wore that Quinn swore ‘looked so good on her’ when we started second grade. ‘Crying mama’ started in third grade though; when her attacks started.”

            “I think she started saying it because she heard Mychal and I say it all the time.” I continue. “It was her third attack she ever had and it was towards the end of the school year. There was a school wide assembly for academic awards and the judging of a writing competition that she qualified in. She invited her whole family and my parents. She was so excited. I remember she was bouncing all morning. All of us went to the same school, so Mychal, Quinn, Tyler, and I were in the audience, but her parents never showed. She read her short story, which was brilliant in her mind, but we all know Kenzie’s mind. Super book smart, but she just thinks differently when it comes to how others think.”

            “Hey, watch yourself, sis.”

            “You know I would never say anything bad about her! I love her. We all do, but it’s true. Her mind is sunshine 24/7/365 until that b*****d, Kyle, took that away from her. Anyway, her story was brilliantly written for a third grader and was about us. Her, Mychal, and I.. as a created family, but she was a puppy and we were dogs that saved her from some mean owners, her parents. In her mind, she viewed herself as a puppy, because she was small and weak and we were dogs because she thought of us as smarter and wiser. Her family totally fucked up her self-esteem.”

            “Even when she was that young? What kind of family treats someone like that?” Lea questions.

            “Kenzie was the only child ‘not planned’ as her family calls it. Which is why she’s three years younger than Quinn. Her parents thought they were done. They had the ‘perfect girl and boy.’ No lie. Those are actually words I’ve heard them use. Anyway, after she read her story out, Quinn yelled that she was stupid and a baby. In front of the whole school and families that showed up. Quinn’s friends joined in and even Tyler. It broke her. She dropped her papers and ran behind the stage, before anyone can see her cry.”

            “I remember that day like it was yesterday. That was the first time Kenz actually made me cry.” Mychal recalls with a distant look on his face. “Naya and I got up and ran backstage to find her. She was shaking and looked so small. She was never the average size for our age. Always an inch or two shorter and at least ten to twenty pounds lighter depending on the age, but that day.. I don’t know. She just looked so fragile. She was crying uncontrollably and shaking like a leaf. We went over and we both hugged her, but she couldn’t stop herself. She couldn’t calm down.”

            “That’s when she started ‘crying mama.’ She could barely talk, but just kept saying ‘mama.’ We both told her that her mom wasn’t there, but she kept shaking her head. After a couple minutes, mom came back to find us and Kenzie practically jumped into her arms. Mom calmed her down within five minutes. After that attack, she would call mom ‘mama’ anytime she was upset. It was her way of letting us all know something was wrong with her sunshine. Before today, she hadn’t said it since her parents kicked her out, before that: the pregnancy, before that: when Kyle hit her, before that: the break up with Adrianna.”

            “Wow. That’s so intense. She’s been doing well though. At least it seems. I talk to her on the phone a lot and she seems happy. What’s set her back?” Lea asks as Mackenzie walks into the kitchen.

            “If you three are all done dissecting my past, I’m hungry and your niece and nephew are too, so if we could eat.. that’d be great.” She deadpans with her hands resting on top of her bump. I think we’re all frozen right now, because she just moves past all of us to sit at the table. “Seriously guys, it’s fine. I heard you all talking while I was in the other room, so why don’t we all sit down and eat and I’ll tell you what has me upset, because I need some advice anyway. Yea?”



© 2016 Brittana0909


Author's Note

Brittana0909
Honestly, I'm in such a slump with this story and I haven't been able to write in it for about two years, but it's a goal of mine to finish, because it's the first thing I've ever written. Any constructive reviews could help or anything that would be cool to write about in future chapters. Thanks!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

118 Views
Added on June 12, 2016
Last Updated on June 12, 2016
Tags: fiction, adrienzie, babies, family, girlxgirl, hollywood, lesbian, lgbt, love, relationship, rwyb, soul mates, toddlers, twins


Author

Brittana0909
Brittana0909

Los Angeles, CA



Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Brittana0909


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Brittana0909