Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

A Chapter by Brittana0909

Mackenzie // Adrianna

Night of Date: 11:00pm

            I actually did it. I asked her, she accepted, and everything turned out okay. Gah, I cannot believe she actually agreed to a date with me. I mean, I’m pregnant. Yea, we’ve been kind of touchy and flirty for the last couple weeks, but that’s how we were when we first met as teenagers.

            I remember when we went to a party with Eric and Amanda after only knowing each other for, like, two weeks and we already had sex jokes with each other and we totally played it up that we were gay for each other. Which, I guess we were, but I sure didn’t realize it that early. Probably because of my annoying as f**k parents and how I was raised. I wonder how early Ade knew we were going to be together?

            I just cannot stop thinking about tonight! It turned out even more amazing than I thought it would. For one, I didn’t even think she would accept my invitation, so that in and of itself was a huge feat. Then dinner and Anthony’s brother. That was priceless! Meeting Anthony was so fun too. I’ll have to text him tomorrow and get to know him more. I wonder if he’s in a relationship.

            Oh my gosh! Autumn’s party and her birthday at the zoo. I’ll have to make Friday such a special day. She’s turning one after all. Hopefully there are baby animals that we can all pet. I wonder if my cousin still works there. I haven’t been to the zoo since Ade and I used to go on dates. I could always tell she wasn’t one hundred percent comfortable at the zoo, but she never fussed or said anything when I asked. I made sure that the animals stayed away from her though. She’s fine as long as they’re at a distance or behind a glass. Note to self: Call Bryan tomorrow. Maybe he can tell me about the animals and if there are any babies right now. I’ll have to go shopping for a birthday gift too and let the family know of the invitation.

            Oh man, I’ll have to tell them about tonight too. They’re going to know. I can’t hide anything and I’m a horrible liar. I’m not so much worried with most of them as I am Naya. I just know she’s not going to take it well. I don’t get it! Why are her and Ade always arguing and fighting?

            Oh well. I can’t think about how she’ll react, because whether she likes it or not, Adrianna and I are in this now. She said it herself tonight. She’ll work for it, if I do. I’m ready. I want this so bad. I always have. I know Ade has wanted it too, because I could feel it tonight. With every kiss tonight, I could feel her love and commitment to me and our lives together. I could feel it when we were teenagers too, but tonight was on a different level. Tonight, I felt something I don’t think either of us could fully commit to as teenagers. Tonight, there was ‘forever.’

She’s back. We’re back. I can feel it. Tonight was just the first of so many dates and we’re going to be officially together again. I mean, I would consider us already together right now, but I know it’s just one date. I can’t get ahead of myself. There’s a lot to figure out and talk about, but we’ll do it all together.

            Two weeks back in my life and she asks me out. She asks me out at five o’clock at night and I accept with no hesitation. My mind was screaming ‘yes’ the moment I heard the words through the speaker. She was so beautiful. Her outfit and her hair and her stomach. I swear, she’s the cutest thing pregnant. I wasn’t half bad looking myself, but anyone with a baby bump is adorable.

            Dinner and ice cream was amazing. Anthony is hilarious. I’m definitely going to have to text him tomorrow and figure out the rest of his deal. Maybe invite him to the party too. That’s another thing I’m glad that I got out tonight. The invite. I think I was more nervous when we were “just friends” this morning, before the date, to ask her about it. I mean, I was still nervous, but I kind of figured she wouldn’t decline.

            I can’t believe she wants to take us to the zoo though. Autumn’s never been yet, so it’ll definitely be exciting. For them at least. I don’t do wild animals. Even at the zoo. They are dirty and smelly and unpredictable. Kenz is the total opposite though. She sees fur and assumes it’s the friendliest thing around.

            When we went to the zoo with a group of friends right before we started dating before, I couldn’t get her to sit still. No one could. We barely even got to sit and eat lunch, because she was so excited going from exhibit to exhibit. Not even just marveled by appearance as most people thought she was back then. She’s beyond smart and would learn everything she could about the animals; academically and personally.

            Most people didn’t know that her older cousin worked at the zoo and was always telling her stories and information about the animals. I learned about this later, but I could tell that day too. When our friends were laughing because she was being her typical hyper self, I would see her quickly looking around the exhibit for the water and food and toys. She would talk to the animals as if she knew them. Which, I guess she did.

            Anyway, that will be a fun trip. I’ll have two hyper girls on my hands! I’ll have to call and talk to my mom to rearrange our Friday plans around. I wonder if I can get away with not telling her about this date tonight. I doubt it, especially since Carlos was home by the time I picked up Autumn earlier. He and Holly are suspicious and will probably bring something up.

            Guess I can tell her and papí tomorrow. I’m not going to hide her. I would have told everyone at the party, but no. I’m going to be mature about all this. Everyone is going to know that we’re in this right now. It’s happening. Honestly though, no one in my family is going to have an issue with it. If anything, they’ll complain that I didn’t ask her out first. Guerrillas are never second.

            Speaking of second.. I wonder if she’ll accept a second date before Friday. Just the two of us again. I’ll have to text her tomorrow. All I know is that I want to see her again and we kissed less than an hour ago.

Mackenzie’s POV

            Why? Why would my body allow me to wake up from such an amazing dream? I roll over and start rubbing my belly to get the babies to settle down. I don’t know how they move so much in there. “Babies, please. Stop playing. Mommy was having a really good dream.” I whine. They don’t listen though and continue to roll. I groan and start to get out of the oversized CalKing bed.

            I really am so grateful that I’m able to stay in the family’s house. It’s a three bedroom villa in Calabasas. Right down the road from mama and papí and the Guerrilla’s and.. unfortunately, my parents. It’s crazy that I’ve been back around seven months now and I still haven’t run into anyone from my family. Granted, I was living around thirty minutes away before, but I’m almost always with the Rivera’s. Oh well. Can’t think about them. When I think about it, I cry, and I can’t. I cried enough over them.

            After I brush my teeth and hair, I lie back down and check my phone.

            From Nay Nay <3: Good morning, baby girl!

            From Anthony: Hey girl! Good morning!

            From Adrianna: Good morning, beautiful. Last night was amazing. Thank you again so much! What are your plans for today?

The last one instantly brought a huge smile to my face along with all the memories from last night. It truly was an amazing night and I’m so glad she agreed to a date. I cannot wait for Friday! I quickly change around a couple of my contact names and start to reply back.

            To Nay Nay, Mychal, Lea: Good morning! Are you free today to meet at the parentals’ house?

            To Anthony: Good morning! Wow, you wake up early. I’m glad. Because I’m always up early and no one is ever up to talk to or their busy.

            To Ade: Good morning, bubbles! Last night was way better than I planned. :) As for today, I’m hoping to go over to the parents’ house within the next hour or so, but after that I got nothing. I’m down to working only two days a week. :/

While I wait for replies, I decide to get ready for my day. After a shower and getting dressed, I check my phone again and see five missed texts and a call from mama. I call her before I reply.

            “Buenos días, mija!”

            “Morning, mama!”

            “What’s wrong?”

            I scrunch my face in confusion even though she can’t see. “Nothing’s wrong. Why?”

            “Something must be wrong for you to be using ‘mama’ this early. I mean, it’s not even noon yet and I know you haven’t talked to your sister. Does it have anything to do with why you’re calling your siblings to my house without asking first?”

            I frown because I should have known better than to call everyone over on such short notice without asking. Yolanda is very kind and respectful, but she asks for it in return as well. “Lo siento. I guess I’m nervous subconsciously. I just need to talk to you all about something and I want it to come straight from me, but I don’t want to repeat it a million times to everyone, so I just figured I could invite everyone over. I really am sorry for not calling you first.”

            Laughter comes from the other end of the line. “It’s okay, hun. You know I love seeing all my children, but next time.. yes, please call first. Now, how long have you been awake, because you’re rambling.”

            “I just woke up! Like an hour ago. It’s because I’m nervous as hell. So, obviously you’ve talked to Nay. Has a time been set up?”

            “Yea, in about another thirty minutes she’ll be here. Mychal and Lea will be here in about ten.”

            “Okay, I just have to do my hair and I’ll be over. I love you.”

            “Okay, Kenzie. Love you too. Bye.”

            When I walk into the Rivera’s house, I can hear everyone in the kitchen. As I make my way down the hallway, I smell homemade cookies and I remember that I didn’t eat breakfast. How could I forget? My poor babies. No wonder they’ve been so calm.

            “Morning everyone!”

            “Good morning!” Everyone greets and Yolanda hugs me. “Cookie?”

            “I-uh-actually. I actually forgot to eat breakfast.” I mumble, but not quiet enough because she and Naya’s eyes widen and I already know this whole thing is off to a bad start.

            “Mackenzie Lynn! You’re pregnant with two babies that need their mommy healthy. How many times have you heard that Conner and Anya are small because of all the stress you were under with Kyle?”

            “I’m sorry! I was just really hyper this morning and I was so focused on all this and something else that I just forgot. I’m hungry now though. Can I have a breakfast burrito?” I pout. I really am upset with myself that I forgot.

            “Of course! But you need fruit too and did you remember your prenatals this morning?”

            “Yes! I keep those in my bathroom. So, I took those.”

            I see a lot of confused faces turn towards me. Honestly? After all these years? “Why do you keep them in the bathroom?” Mychal asks softly.

            “Because they make my mouth taste funny. So, I take them first thing in the morning. Then eat breakfast and brush my teeth. But this morning, it just made me feel so gross that I took them, brushed my teeth, and laid back down to check my phone.”

            “Okay, it’s not a big deal. Now, eat these while I make your breakfast. Anyone else want one?” Mama says as she places a bowl of fruit salad in front of me and turns to the rest of the family about the food. No surprise to anyone that Mychal is the only one that says yes.

            “So Kenz, why are we all here?” Naya asks as she comes to sit next to me. “I can’t stay too long, because Heather and I are going to go shopping.”

            “Yea, I actually have plans later too. Um, I just wanted to tell you guys about something that happened last night.” Wrong choice of words.

            “What? What happened? Are you okay?”

            “God! I’m fine! What the hell?”

            “Mackenzie!”

            “I’m sorry, mama, but I’m pregnant. I’m not handicapped or broken. You guys keep babying me and I really want you guys to try to stop. I love you guys so much. You’re my family. That said, I love that you guys want to help me and I so appreciate it. You have no idea how grateful I am. Just please try to stop hovering.”

            Surprisingly, it’s George that wraps his arms around me from behind then spins the stool around to face him. “Mija, we’re sorry. Yola and I have never had Naya and Mychal go through as much as you’ve gone through. Between growing up with your family and then everything with Kyle. We are a little over protective and your brother and sister have picked that up from us. Pero, you sticking up for yourself right now shows all of us that you are growing up. You’re not that little three year old we first met with crooked pigtails and crying because you got mud on your shoes. You’re a grown woman who’s about to be a mom of two babies. We promise to respect your wishes and back off a little.”

            “Thank you.” I say with a tight hug and a few unshed tears in my eyes.

            “But don’t think we are going to stop spoiling any of our kids or grandbabies.” He adds with a wink.

            “Oh, I figured you wouldn’t.” I laugh.

            “So, what do you want to tell us? We’re all listening. Correct?” He asks to the room and everyone nods or adds their response.

            I inhale deeply and exhale. “I asked Adrianna out last night.” No response. “She agreed and we went out to dinner and ice cream in the park and we agreed to a zoo day on Friday, so I can meet her daughter.” No response. Just stares. “Well?”

            “Mackenzie..” Mama starts as Naya lets go of my hand and walks out of the room without a word. I move to get out of the stool, but papí holds me in place.

            “Give her some time, you know how she is.”

            “Mackenzie, what brought all this on? I thought we talked a couple weeks ago and even just last week you said you just wanted to be friends. What changed your mind?”

            “Well, Eric, Ryan, and Amanda were over yesterday and we got to talking about how I’d been hanging out with Ade again and they brought up all these memories and stories from when we were dating and after a while they had just convinced me to ask her out. So I called her and she said yes.”

            “So, they coerced you to ask her out?”

            “Yola.” Papí warned her. I’m glad he’s sticking to his promise.

            “No one forced me to do anything, mama! I wanted to do this. I’ve been wanting to since she friggen saved me a month ago! I even told you that. You were the one who told me to wait and try to be just friends and I agreed, because I knew it’d be the safest route to go. But mama, I miss her! I miss her so much and I know she’s my forever, just like you two are.”

            “Well, I say go for it!” Mychal speaks up from the kitchen table. I look up from my lap where my hands were holding my shirt and see him and Lea smiling at me. “Kenz, I haven’t seen you this happy in months. Even just talking on the phone or texting you since you and Ade started hanging out, it’s like you’re happier. Our Kenz is coming back and the scared Kenz that got hurt is slowly going away.”

            “Thanks, Peter.”

            “Okay, baby girl. I understand where you’re coming from, but you need to think of where we’re coming from. You’re pregnant with twins and she has a daughter. You both are only twenty years old and you haven’t gotten your degree yet. How are you planning to support three kids?”

            “We can and we will do whatever it takes. We talked about it last night. We’re both in this for the long run. We’ll need a lot of support in order for us to finish school and get better jobs, but you know us. We are hard workers and we will always finish what we start. We know what we want to do in life, we just need the support to get there.”

            “We’ll always be there for you.”

            “Sissy?” I call softly as I walk into mine and Naya’s old room a couple minutes later. “Naya, please talk to me.”

            “There’s nothing to talk about Kenz, I’m happy for you.” She deadpans as she moves to get off her bed and walk out the room. I grab her arm as she walks past me.

            “Well, you sure as hell don’t sound like it. Why are you so against Ade? You always have been.”

            “It’s nothing. Okay? I’m sorry. I’ll try harder. Blah blah blah. Can we just drop it? I have somewhere to be.”

            “No! I won’t just fucken drop it! Talk to me right now.” She still hasn’t made eye contact with me since I came into the room, which is surprising since the whole family prides themselves on eye contact.

            “Mackenzie, it’s really nothing. I’m fine. Have fun with her.” She pulls her arm out of my grip and moves out the bedroom quickly. I try my best to keep up with her and she knows it which is just pissing me off more.

            “What the actual f**k? Why the f**k won’t you talk to me?” I yell down the hall and this finally gets everyone’s attention and they move to see what the commotion is, but the brunette still doesn’t stop.

            “Just stop, Mackenzie. Okay? Just stop, because I’m not going to talk to you, because I don’t want to talk to you. Have fun with that b***h. All the best of luck to you both!” She snides as the other four walk into the room.

            “Now, you stop right there Naya Marie. You are going to put your things down and talk to your sister and not the way you are now. You as well, Mackenzie Lynn. I will not have you cursing at each other in this house. March your butts back to your room right now and figure this out or else I will call Heather and Adrianna and no one will be going out today. Understood?”

            We both stare wide eyed, along with Mychal, because George isn’t the one to usually discipline us. He only got involved when any of us got into physical altercations with someone. This happened many times with Mychal, but also a handful of times with Naya and I, both. However, hearing his stern voice right now, shocked us both into obeying right away.

             When we walk back into our old room, we sit on our respective beds facing each other. I don’t know how long we were sitting there until I finally worked up the courage to say something. “Nay Nay?” She moved her head to face me more, but was still looking down at the ground. “Naya, I just don’t understand why you don’t support this?”

            “I just don’t get along with her, Kenz. You know that.”

            “But why?” My voice rises again out of frustration. “You two have never gotten along and I’m sick of it! Whether you like it or not, I want her in my life again. I want her in Conner and Anya’s life. I don’t want to play monkey in the middle with you two anymore. Please tell me what’s going on?”

            She mumbles something, but I can’t make out what it is. “What?”

            “Ijustdon’t… takesyou… me.”

            “Naya, can’t hear-.”

            “She takes you away from me!” She yells out. “When we were teenagers, you would always want to hang out with her instead of me. Never together. I felt like I lost my sister for a long time and it hurt. I missed you so much and it was like you didn’t even care.”

            I see some tears escape down her face when she makes eye contact with me for the first time since the kitchen. I quickly move to sit next to her and when I get there, I use the pads of my thumbs to wipe away the tear marks on her cheeks. “Naya, you could never lose me. Why would you think that?”

            “You always wanted to hang out with her. Whenever I’d invite you over, you’d either decline or want her to come too. You used to spend every weekend at our house. When you started dating, we’d barely ever see you.”

            “That wasn’t Adrianna’s fault though. That was mine and partially your job’s too. Don’t forget the many times that we couldn’t hang out because you were working or you were doing PR with castmates. So, Adrianna is not all to blame. I blame myself too. I was a silly teenager that for once had a best friend that I could relate to and love at the same time. Naya, you know how hard it was for me to make friends. Eric and Amanda and Mychal were almost the only ones my age for years!”

            “I know, but they never took you away from us like she did.”

            “She didn’t though! I wanted to hang out with her. I wanted to go to her house. It was different and exciting and I’m so sorry that I hurt your feelings for doing that. I truly am, but it’s in the past. Can we try to move past it now?”

            “I’ll try, but I mean come on. You two just went out last night and you’re already hanging out again today.”

            “And you’re hanging out with Heather!” I’m beginning to get frustrated again and my voice rises higher than it’s been at all today. “You’re always out with her lately too. So, you can’t keep getting pissed at me for not being around. I called you first last week three times! All three times you were hanging out with Heather or hanging out with Kevin or Jenna, but I never complained! I went on with my day and, yea, two of those times I ended up hanging out with Ade.”

            “I can’t help that my job requires me to-.”

            “Bullshit! You want to hang out with them. I’m not mad at you for that. Have fun! They are fun to hang out with. Don’t lie to me though! Don’t act like you don’t want to hang out with them. Especially Heather, because you two are practically attached at the friggen hip!”

            “Alright! Alright! Stop!” Mychal comes into the room and stands in between the two of us, which until now, I didn’t even realize we were only inches apart from each other.

Adrianna’s POV

            “So, you brought us all here to tell us that you went on a date with your ex?” Nicka questions me as my family and I are all sitting in my parents living room. I wanted to tell them that we’re dating again before the birthday party, because I didn’t want to hide anything. We hid this the first time around and things blew up in our faces. Not this time.

            “I brought you here to tell you that we’re dating again. I’m positive about it. The way we talked last night and we’re going out again tonight. This is happening. I just didn’t want to hide anything from you guys this time. We did that last time and everything went crazy.”

            “Okay, so you guys are dating. Is she keeping the babies?”

            “Papí! Why would you ask that? Of course she is.” I say with a shocked expression still on my face.

            “Adrianna Isabella. You two are barely adults. You’re still in school and already have a daughter. I don’t want to see you go through anymore rough times. There’s no way you’re going to be raising three kids at twenty one years old. I won’t allow it!” My father raises his voice and I grow upset at his words.

            “You won’t allow it? Mamí, please talk to him.”

            “Mija, you know that is not how your father and my relationship works. You are not going to play us against each other. However, we will discuss this in private more. You are an adult Adrianna, but we are still your parents and have your best interest in mind. Always.”

            “You’re the one that always calls her your ‘future daughter-in-law,’ what happened to that?”

            “I have no doubt in my mind that you two will be together, but maybe now just isn’t the right time.”

            The unshed tears finally spill out and I’ve heard enough. I want this to happen. We both do. We can do this and my family, I thought, had been supportive until right now. Why are my parents suddenly changing their minds? I don’t get it.

            “I-I-I have to g-go. I’m actually on my way to see her again right now, so if you don’t want to support us. I’m sorry, but I want this. I want her and a family. I’m going to fight for this more than anything, just to prove to you all that we can do this.”

            As I get up, I’m glad that Autumn is with an actual babysitter for once instead of with my family, because it would make it really awkward to leave her, but I also know that Mackenzie and I agreed for her to meet Autumn on Friday, so I don’t want to ruin that plan.

            I mumble a goodbye to my family, who I’m sure will end up texting and calling me non-stop the rest of the day, but oh well. It comes with the territory of a big family. I get out to my car when my phone chimes. When I look, it’s a group text to a lot of numbers that I don’t recognize at all.

            From 818-347-5626: Hello! This is George, Naya and Mackenzie’s father, if your day isn’t too busy, Yolanda and I could use your help at our house. Thank you!

            I pull up to the Rivera’s house a couple minutes later and look in the rearview mirror to try and fix my smeared make up before going into the house. I’m still not sure what George needed when he sent that message, but I do know I don’t want to look like a mess walking into the house.

            After I fix my face, I walk up to the door and I can already hear the yelling on the other side. Naya and Kenzie rarely ever fight, but when they do, it never ends well. I remember when we were teenagers and they got into an argument over a pilot Naya was offered, but she would be playing a total s**t for most of the show. Kenzie told her over and over not to take it and one day Naya just snapped. They didn’t talk for days and Kenz was at my house every day after school, crying.

            I ring the doorbell and a few seconds later, Yolanda answers the door with a smile and pulls me into a hug.

            “Good afternoon, dear. Sorry that George called you over. I know you girls had other plans for today.”

            “It’s okay, Mrs. Rivera.” I say as I follow her into the house. She’s calm and smiling like she can’t even hear her daughters arguing.

            “Please, you know you can call me Yolanda or Mama Rivera.” She silently waves for me to sit down at the island, next to Heather, who I recognize as Naya’s costar.

            “Hello, I’m Heather. Naya’s.. costar.” She hesitates to tell me while shaking my hand.

            “Hi. Adrianna. Mackenzie’s ex-girlfriend slash hoping to be current girlfriend.” I smile and turn to Yolanda. “So, Mama Rivera, what’s going on? Why are they arguing this time?”

            “Oh no. I’m not getting into the middle of this one, that’s why you two are here. You’re going to sort out your girls and figure out how to have everyone happy with this arrangement.”

            “So, it’s about me being back in Kenzie’s life.” I say softly, looking down to the counter. I start biting my lip when George walks in the kitchen.

            “I’m so glad you’re both here!” He bellows. “Now you both can go in there and figure out what’s going on with them.”

            “Where’s everyone else?” Heather questions.

            “Oh, I just meant to send it to you two, but I ended up sending it to a couple other people. I don’t know how to work all these new phones.” He answers roughly as he takes his phone and waves it in the air.

            “Okay!” Heather shrugs. “Ready?” I feel sorry, because she actually looks excited to be going into the middle of all this. She honestly has no idea what she has coming to her.

            “I’m done!” Mychal huffs as he enters the kitchen and walks over to, who I assume to be, his girlfriend. “Lea, we’re leaving. Those to can beat each other to death with the same argument all night for all I care.” He finishes and turns towards myself and the tall blonde next to me. “Oh, hi Ade, nice to see you again.” He hugs me then moves to hug Heather. “Hey, Heather.”

            “Hi.”

            “Oh, before I forget, you all are invited to my daughter, Autumn’s, first birthday on Saturday. It’s at my parents’ place. I know you all haven’t seen me in a while, but I would love for you all to join us.” I tell the group and they return their acknowledgements before Mychal and Lea head towards the front door.

            “Well,” I turn to Heather. “You’re going to have to knock on the door. So, after you.”

            “Why?” Her face scrunches in confusion and she looks between myself and the parents.

            “Naya won’t open the door for me and if Kenzie does then Naya will just get more upset. If you get her to open the door, she’ll be more calm and that’ll give me enough time to get through and stand by Kenz, because I guarantee you, this is going to get nasty.”

            She has wide eyes as I tap her twice on the shoulder and motion for her to turn around and get going. As we walk up to the bedroom door, the shouting coming from behind it is getting louder.           We exchange a quick look before she knocks on the door.

            “Nay, it’s me.” Heather says and the other side of the door goes silent. After another ten seconds, Heather knocks again. “Naya?”

            The door swings open revealing a smiling Naya, “Hey..” She gets out before I push past both of them and beeline for the shorter blonde with tearstained cheeks. “Oh no! Get out!”

            “No. I’m staying as long as Mackenzie wants me here.”

            “Stop it!” Heather has her arms crossed, standing in the doorway. “Now, I’m already over all the yelling, so we’re all going to sit down, take some breaths, and talk this all out.”

            “I agree. So, who’s going to start?” Mackenzie asks and looks towards Naya with a glare and a side nod.

            “I have nothing to say to her.” Naya says as Heather pulls her down to sit on the bed across from us.

            “Okay, then Mackenzie and I will leave until you both are ready.” My eyes widen when the blondes grab hands and move towards the door.

            “Okay! Okay! I’ll talk.” Heather beams and sits down in her previous spot, but not before giving Naya a peck on the cheek which causes the brunette to become flustered.

            “I knew it.” Kenzie whispers next to me, but as I’m about to question her, Naya starts to speak again.

            “You hog my sister and it pisses me off and whenever I talk to you, you have this attitude like you know her better than me, which you don’t. You think you can just waltz back in and take over things and I won’t allow it..”

            “Okayyyy, that’s enough.” Heather interjects while slowly rubbing circles on the inside of Naya’s left thigh. “We’re not attacking each other. We need to talk open, but not rude. Get to know each other.”

            “I just don’t understand why you’re so overprotective of her.” I let out. “You always have been. Why does it bother you so much when she’s away from you and with other people?”

            “I can answer that one.” The four of us turn towards the voice at the door frame. Standing there was Yolanda and my mother. “See, there have been some.. situations in the past that have helped form the bond that my children have together.” She continues as her and my mother come in and sit down on the beds also.

            While my mother sat across from Mackenzie and I, next to Naya and Heather, Yolanda came and sat down at the foot of Mackenzie’s bed. As I watched her, I could see that the blonde next to me was yawning. I silently move to sit against the wall, closer to the headboard. I tap her shoulder and when she looks, I tap my lap. With a soft smile, she moves to lie down next to me, her head in my lap. I slowly start to run my fingers through her loose, soft curls. I miss this feeling.

            “I don’t think it was until a holiday vacation to New York when they were four and six years old, that things really changed to be how their dynamic is now.”

NO POV

            The Jackson’s and Rivera’s always vacationed in the same Upper Manhattan area for Christmas as Mackenzie was growing up. Both Mr. and Mrs. Jackson are from the area and they would bring their three children back to visit family each year. That year, Mackenzie was seven, Quinn was ten, and Tyler was eleven. The Jackson kids were on their sixteenth nanny since Mackenzie was born. She was a younger girl, nineteen years old, who took the job because the Jackson’s paid a hefty price per month, plus a car to use and paid vacations.

            December 19. Mackenzie begged her nanny, Sarah, to go down the block to get Naya and go upstate to the countryside to go sledding. Her parents and siblings would be gone all day and the little blonde did not want to waste her day inside. She knew the Rivera’s would be a couple blocks over in their own penthouse, so she used her infamous pout.

            “Please, Sarah! It’s all I’ve wanted to do since we got here. Naya wants to go too. We can just pick her up and you can drive us up there. It’s not even an hour away! Pleeeeeease!” The younger girl begs with her lower lip sticking out.

            “Alright. Fine, but we aren’t going to be there all afternoon. Just a couple hours and then we’re back here.”

            Five hours later, around four o’clock, the girls were all driving back to the city. The weather had taken a turn for the worse and the sky was getting darker by the minute.

            “Girls, please quiet down. I need to concentrate. The snowstorm is getting worse. Okay?”

            Naya, who was in the backseat behind Sarah, tried to help her quiet down the babbling blonde opposite her by whispering. “Kenz, shh. We don’t want to have an accident okay? How about we listen to music?” The Latina offered an earphone to the smaller girl, who was still in a booster seat because of her size.

            “Oh my god!” The girls heard before a bright light blinded them and the sound of crunching metal rang in their ears. The car spun wildly out of control as a truck hit them on the front, driver side.

When the car finally stopped spinning, Naya was the first to say anything. Her arm and head were hurting her a lot, but she needed to make sure everyone was okay. “Sarah?” Naya unbuckled her seatbelt to check on the babysitter and saw blood coming from her forehead. She sat back to check on the little blonde who she loved as a sister. When she saw Mackenzie’s eyes closed and blood coming from the side of her head from where she hit the window, the tears didn’t waste any time falling.

“Mackenzie!” The nine year old screams as her voice cracks. She starts scooting over to check on her more when the blonde whimpers. “Oh my gosh! Mackenzie. You have to talk to me.” Naya can hear the owner of the truck on the phone with 911.

“Naya, it hurts.” Kenzie croaks out. “Help me.” As the brunette moves to help her, she can hear someone yelling and a horn honking. She looks out the window and sees another car swerving out of control, straight for Mackenzie’s door.

She struggles when the seatbelt won’t unclip and the tears start streaming out of her face. “Kenzie. Kenz. I love you. I’m trying so hard. You have to help me. I can’t get your belt unhooked. Hurry!” There was no response from the blonde, but the belt finally unhooked and with all her strength, Naya managed to pull Mackenzie out of her booster and turn them to have the blonde on the other side.

For the second time in five minutes, the brunette hears the shattering of glass and the crunch of metal. She feels the booster seat ram into her arm and push Kenz into the other door. The broken glass shatters over the two girls and just as the red and blue lights begin to flash around the car. Both girls vision turn black.

            Tears a streaming down Naya’s face as Heather continues to hug her and rub circles into her hip. The whole room is silent and Yolanda looks down to see that Mackenzie has fallen asleep, but before she did Adrianna felt tears pool into her lap. Mama Rivera rubs the blonde’s swollen stomach before continuing with the story.

            Naya woke up to bright lights flashing above her and she instantly panicked. When she opened her eyes, she could see the hospital lights passing above her and she tried to sit up to talk to the various doctors and nurses around her, but she was strapped down.

            “Don’t worry, sweetie. We’re going to take care of you. You have to sit still until we make sure that you didn’t hurt your back.”

            “My back is fine! Déjame levantarme! I have to find her! Dónde está mi hermana? Where’s Mackenzie?” The brunette was screaming and in hysterics at that point. Llamar a mis padres! Por favor! Yolanda Rivera 818-347-5627. Please call her.”

            “We will call, dear. Right now we need you to calm down, because your arm is broken and we need to reset it.” The nurse informs her as they finally stop inside a room.

            “No! Not until I see Mackenzie!” She jerks her arm away from the nurse which results in a yelp of pain.

            “Naya Marie, cálmate! Ahora!” The girl instantly stops fighting when she hears her father’s firm command, but the tears don’t stop.

“Mamí, papí.. they won’t let me see her. The car. I-I-It crashed. A-a-and Kenzie was not answering me. She wou-wouldn’t talk to me! She’s hurt!”

Lorena came in and scooped her oldest daughter into her lap. The mother wrapped her arm around the smaller brunette’s waist to keep her arm from hurting. She ran her fingers through her silky hair in attempt to calm her more. “Mija, we will find out what is going on with Mackenzie, but for right now, you need to let these nice doctors and nurses help you and check out everything to make sure there isn’t any more damage than your arm. Bueno?”

There was no audible answer, just a slight head nod. After a couple hours and multiple phone calls to Mr. and Mrs. Jackson, they finally showed up with Quinn and Tyler, so collect their youngest daughter. When they entered the waiting room, little Naya jumped out of her seat and ran to the two adults. “Can I go see her? Please! They wouldn’t let me until you got here.”

“Now, Naya, I believe we should be the ones to see our daughter first, don’t you? We were worried sick when we heard about the accident, so you can wait until we’ve decided it’s okay for her to receive visitors.” Mrs. Jackson told the young girl, barely making eye contact, more so looking at her phone instead.

“That’s a lie! You’re liars!”

“Okay, Naya, let’s come sit back down.” Yolanda comes to collect her daughter from the shocked parents.

“I just want to see her.” While earlier, the young girl was loud and over the top, now she was subdued and sad. She was losing hope of seeing her sister and no one was telling her if she was okay or not. She was getting tired of fighting doctors and her parents and the Jacksons, she just wanted to see the little blonde.

After another hour, the Jacksons returned to the waiting room and talked quietly with Yolanda, since Naya had finally fallen asleep. When the family of four left, Yolanda woke up her daughter. “Sweetie, we can go see Mackenzie now.”

Jumping up with a start and grabbing her stuffed, pink monkey that she had bought from the gift shop, Naya grabbed her mom’s hand and started to walk down the hall. She was no longer sleepy and she was on a mission, but she didn’t know where she was going. Instead, she was looking into every room and at 8:00 at night, the girl was yelling her sister’s name to find her faster. “Mackenzie! Kenz! Where are…”

“No yelling, mija. People don’t feel good and they don’t want to hear shouting. Mackenzie is in room 157. Down here to the right.”

Now that there was an end in sight, Naya let go of her mom’s hand and ran the last ten feet to the room. As she turned to move into the room, she stopped and was paralyzed with fear and sadness. Mackenzie was always small for her age, but in the big, white hospital bed, she looked tiny. The blonde had a bandage wrapped around her forehead and her leg in a full cast. Her eyes were closed until she heard whispering coming from the door.

“Naya?” Came the small, hopeful voice.

“Yea. It’s me.” The older girl moved into the room and carefully climbed onto the bed to lay next to Mackenzie. “I got you this, because it’s your favorite animal and favorite color. I was so scared, because no one would tell me how you were.”

“Don’t cry. I’m okay!” The blonde wrapped her right arm around the girl she’s come to call her sister. “I hit my head on the window when the truck hit us and I don’t remember anything after that until I got here. They told me that you saved me though. If you didn’t pull me out of my seat then I wouldn’t have just gotten a broken leg. Thank you so much. I love you!”

Mackenzie kisses Naya on the cheek and turned to talk to Yolanda. “My mom and dad said they were going to be busy tonight, so is it okay if I stay with you guys? I don’t want to stay with Sarah, she’s upset because she lost her job and is going to be moving back in with her family, because I think they need her more than I do. I gots my sissy to protect me!”

Yolanda lets out a soft laugh, because since she met the girl four years ago, she’s always talked like a little adult, just putting her little twist of sunshine on a story. “Yes, you can, but don’t talk like that. You know how to talk proper. Naya did you teach her that?” With a perfect eyebrow raise, Yolanda looks at her daughter and smirks when she shyly nods her head.

Adrianna’s POV

            “Wow. I’m sorry, Naya, I didn’t know any of that happened.” I say to the girl across from me. “I never meant to take her away from your or act like I was a better protector. I would never try to take your relationship away on purpose.”

            “I was so scared that day. They wouldn’t tell us anything about her, because her parents told them not to until they showed up. I remember more than she does. She blacked out for most of it. I felt and heard everything until the police showed up. I remember pulling her into me right before the second car hit and felt her booster break my arm from the pressure. It was the scariest day of my life and for hours I thought I lost her. I thought I failed. I tried so hard to save her and it didn’t work.”

            “But you did.” Mama Rivera added. “You saved her and she grew up and is about to have two more babies who are going to know Adrianna as their mother.” While my eyes grew wide and a small smile formed, inside I was dancing. That sounded amazing. I looked down at the sleeping woman as she sighed and tried to move into another position. “This is why it’s so important for her and for all of us for you two stubborn girls to finally get along. We don’t want to be in the middle of everything and I guarantee Mackenzie is not going to put up with it either. Can you both try and get along from now on? We know it won’t happen overnight, but will you both promise to try?”

            Both of us lock eyes and we both know what the other is thinking. “It definitely won’t happen overnight.” Naya smirks.

            “But we’re willing to try.” I finish. “Starting with.. Naya, you and your girl are both invited to my daughter’s birthday party on Saturday. It’s at my parents’ house.”

            “Thanks, but Heather isn’t my..”

            “Save it. You forget that Kenz and I hid, or thought we were hiding, our relationship for six months before we told anyone. You two aren’t subtle at all.” I smirk at the girls’ embarrassed looks and our mothers just laughed.



© 2016 Brittana0909


Author's Note

Brittana0909
Honestly, I'm in such a slump with this story and I haven't been able to write in it for about two years, but it's a goal of mine to finish, because it's the first thing I've ever written. Any constructive reviews could help or anything that would be cool to write about in future chapters. Thanks!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
Added on June 12, 2016
Last Updated on June 12, 2016
Tags: fiction, adrienzie, babies, family, girlxgirl, hollywood, lesbian, lgbt, love, relationship, rwyb, soul mates, toddlers, twins


Author

Brittana0909
Brittana0909

Los Angeles, CA



Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Brittana0909


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Brittana0909