Chapter Six

Chapter Six

A Chapter by Brittana0909

Mackenzie’s POV

            I woke up the next morning to an empty bed, when I sat up to try and see if I could hear Naya or anyone, I looked to my phone and saw I had some missed texts. I picked it up and unlocked it, opening up the five missed text messages.

            From Nay Nay <3: Good morning, honey! I know you are probably wondering where we all are, but Lea and I went last minute shopping for some things and we’ll be back in a couple hours. You looked so peaceful, so we didn’t want to wake you. We love you!

            From Nay Nay <3: Oh, Mychal is there too, so you’re not completely alone. We should be back around lunch. You better relax!

            From Adrianna: Good morning! :) I hope you slept well last night. I really am sorry about everything yesterday. Hopefully we can talk today?

            From Eric the Godfather: Good morning, sexy mama! You know, sometimes I just want to text you, just so my name will pop up on your phone. For real, The Godfather. You are too cute! Anyway, Ryan and I wanna take you out on a date soon! Maybe lunch today or tomorrow? xo

            From Mama: Good morning! I hope you slept well. Cannot wait to see you this afternoon. Love you lots! :*

I decide to go to the bathroom, brush my teeth, and brush my hair before replying back to everyone.

            To Nay Nay <3: Good morning! Why are you guys shopping when we’re all supposed to be hanging out together? :( It couldn’t have waited until I woke up?

            To Adrianna: It’s alright. I was really emotional yesterday, so I apologize for being stand-offish with you. We can text today though. Maybe continue the game? It’s okay with me, if you want to.

            To Eric the Godfather: Good morning! You are so sweet! I would love to go to lunch soon! Not today though, because I’m out at the beach house with Nay, Mychal, and Lea. Tomorrow for sure though?

            To Mama: Good morning! I’m feeling much better. I think I just had too much going on yesterday. I can’t wait either. Love you too! Mwah!

I put my phone back down and move to the living room to tell Mychal that I’m awake. “Good morning.” I smile at him as I waddle over to the couch to sit next to him. As I do, he throws his arm around me and leans me into him. He squeezes a little, gives me a kiss on the temple, and I relax into him.

            “Morning, baby girl. How are you feeling today?”

            “Much better. I think everything going on the last couple days just caught up to me yesterday, but I slept good and I feel better.” I turn and smile to him as he flips through the channels on the television.

            “That’s good. I feel so bad about what I said yesterday.”

            “Mychal, you apologized like six times last night. Honestly, you’re forgiven.” I laugh lightly and we both fall into a comfortable silence. After a couple minutes, he speaks up again.

            “I really love the names you have picked out for the babies. I’m glad you told us last night. Do you have middle names picked?”

            “I do, but I want those to be a surprise.” I smirk against his chest. “I’ll give you a hint though. One’s unique. One’s traditional.” I nod once and smile against his chest.

            “Alright. Well, I’m a dude, so I’m not even going to attempt that one.” He laughs before he settles again and speaks quietly. “So, are you going to go through with what we talked about last night?” He turns the television off completely and turns so he’s facing me and I lean against the back of the couch.

            “I am. I really do want her friendship again and if it goes further, we’ll explore it when it comes up, but right now I’m just going to focus on friendship. I just wish Nay wasn’t so against it.” I sigh and start playing with the bottom of my pajama shirt.

            “She’ll come around. Honestly, I don’t think any of us, including mama, are 100% behind this whole thing.” I look up at him with wide eyes and go to speak, but he cuts me off. “Kenzie, you have been through so much since she left. Kyle put you in the hospital, you’re pregnant, you went through a court trial, everything with your family.. we just don’t want to see you hurt anymore. You know me, I don’t get sentimental, but if anything happened to you.. if Ade hurts you.” I can see the emotion behind his eyes. “I don’t know what we would do. Any of us. We almost lost you once, we won’t let it happen again.”

            “Ade would never hurt me though. She’s never even raised her voice at me before.” I tell him with complete honesty.

            “We know she’d never hurt you physically, but emotionally could be just as bad. We just want to make sure you stay you. We love Kenzie and we don’t want to see you sad like you were six months ago. Okay?” I hug him as tight as I can and nod against his shoulder.

            “Okay. Thank you.”

            “Love you, Wendy.”  I smile remembering all the times when we were kids that I made him play Peter Pan with me. The nicknames just stuck after a while.

            “I love you too, Peter. Do you know where Nay and Lea went?”

            He lets go of me and hesitates for a second. “Umm.. no. I uh- think they just went shopping.”

            “But why couldn’t they wait for me to wake up or waited to go with mom this afternoon?” I scrunch my face in confusion. Seriously, what is going on? I think to myself.

            “You know them. They want you to relax as much as possible, so they wouldn’t wake you up. They should be home in a couple hours though. What do you want for lunch and I can start making something so it’s ready when they get home.”

            “Is it really that late?”

            “Yea, baby doll, it’s like 10:30 already.” He lets out a laugh as he looks at his phone.

            “Well, I’m craving Italian. Can you make spaghetti? With garlic bread?” He nods his head and moves to stand up. “Oh and Italian sausage instead of meatballs!”

            “Never since I’ve met you have you eaten spaghetti with meatballs. Why would I make it different now?” He laughs over his shoulder. I just shrug mine, even though he’s not looking.

            “Thank you!” I call after him. I sit for a few more minutes just looking out the window at the beach. Some surfers are out and I can see families playing in the sand. I can’t help but think that this time next year, I’ll be out there with my babies. I smile at the thought and move off the couch to take a shower.

            Within the hour, I am showered and dressed in some sweats that I had packed, my hair and makeup are done for the day and I’m now sitting on the back patio looking out at the beach with my phone and a glass of pink lemonade. It’s strange though that after checking, Adrianna was the only one to text me again after this morning. I haven’t gotten my usual ten texts from everyone wondering how I’m doing and if I’m resting.

            From Adrianna: I’d love to play the game again! Thank you for giving me another chance. I’ll start with something simple.. How was your night last night?

            To Adrianna: Sorry it took so long to respond. I was just getting ready for my day and it takes a little longer with a huge stomach. My night was good. We talked about a lot of stuff and they all helped me a little with sorting out my thoughts. Yours?

            From Adrianna: Mine was good. Quiet. Just hung out at home and watched movies.

            To Adrianna: If you could do anything in the world right now, what would you do and with who?

            From Adrianna: Wow. That’s a good one! Umm.. I’d go to the moon with you. ;)

            To Adrianna: The moon? Are you not having a good day? :(

            From Adrianna: No. It’s been fine. Why?

            To Adrianna: Well, when we were 17 and that girl got you in trouble when she flirted with you and you punched her, your white board therapy was us going to the moon because all the mean people stayed on Earth and died. :/

            From Adrianna: haha! No, hun. My day’s been fine. I promise! I totally forgot about that. I see you obviously don’t have pregnancy brain. Okay, my question: Where would you most want to travel to, but have never been?

            To Adrianna: Oh! I know! Italy. <3 Nay just took me to Cancun and England this year with her, so I’d def want to go to Italy. :)

            From Adrianna: Oh. Well, that sounds fun. Hopefully you can make it one day. Your turn.

            To Adrianna: What’s the last song you listened to on your phone?

            From Adrianna: Slow Dancing in a Burning Room by John Mayer. What was the last movie you watched?

            To Adrianna: Other than Laguna last night. Umm.. I think The Aristocats is in my Blu-ray at home. :) Open the book closest to you to page 197 and read the fifth sentence.

            From Adrianna: Where do you come up with this stuff?? But okay, no making fun. “Life is too short not to have fun!” Kardashian Konfidential.

            To Adrianna: I love that book! I have it too. :) Your turn.

            From Adrianna: What’s the next thing you have in your phone’s calendar?

“Kenzie, lunch is ready!” I hear Mychal call through the open house.

            To Adrianna: I have another doctor’s appointment Tuesday morning at 9. I have to go now. Lunch is ready and Nay and Lea should be back soon. We’ll talk later though! This was fun!

It takes me a couple seconds, but I finally get out of the chair and start walking towards the kitchen when I hear the front door open and a boyish squeal follow.

            “There’s the MILF I’ve been looking for!” I turn around and am almost knocked over by the hug my best friend gives me. “Oh my god! Aren’t you just the cutest damn thing?”

            “Eric, what are you doing here?” I ask as he finally lets me go, I turn to give his boyfriend a hug. “Hello Ryan. How are you today?” He smiles and nods in response since Eric is already answering my other question.

            “We ran into Naya and Lea when they were out and about and we decided to tag along on the way back. We finished everything we needed to do and we needed to relax too.”

            “Well, we’re only going to be here for like two more hours. We have an hour drive back and we’re having girls day with mom at three.” I say with a pout because I really wanted to hang out with them.

            “Oh! Sweets.” I hear Naya call to me as she walks into the kitchen. “Mom, pushed our day back to four. Is that okay? Guess she won’t be ready by three. So that at least gives us another hour.” She looks at me and smiles. I return my own.

            After lunch, the six of us start cleaning up and packing up our things, well the other five did, I was banished to the back porch again. Might as well make good use of time. I unlock my phone and go to contacts. She is the first one on the list. My thumb hovers over her name for a couple seconds before pressing down. After three rings, she answers.

            “Moshi moshi!” I hear Adrianna’s smooth voice answer the phone.

            “Oh my gosh! I can’t believe you remember that! That was so stupid.”

            “Hey, nothing you’ve ever done has been stupid. I loved when you went through that Japanese phase. I still can’t figure out how you picked up the language by just watching those damn cartoons. I watched them all with you and I thought your reactions to them were more entertaining than the shows.” She laughs.

            “Hey now, ‘those damn cartoons’ were addicting! I still watch the dvds you got for me.” I smile through the phone and relax back into the chair.

            “I’m glad you still like them. To what do I owe the pleasure of hearing your beautiful voice?” I am glad she’s not with me, because I can feel my cheeks heating up.

            “I don’t know. I, uh-, just figured it’s faster and easier than texting.”

            “You are so very right! We should meet up for coffee soon, because I actually have some things to tell you that would be better and easier in person.” I can hear the worry in her voice and it makes me nervous.

            “Is everything okay? I don’t have to go to girls day later if you want to talk.” I say as everyone joins me outside and I see Eric is confused and Naya glares at me as she moves to share the same chair as me.

            “No!” Naya whisper shouts to me and I move to cover the phone so Adrianna can’t hear her. “You are not going!”

            I roll my eyes and tune back into the phone when I hear Ade answering me. “No, it’s okay, hun. You have fun with girls day. Do you have anything planned for tomorrow?”

            “Nope!” I say with a smile that I know she can sense from the other end of the line.

            “Awesome! We’ll talk later. Have a great afternoon, Kenzie.”

            “You too! Bye.” I hang up and drop my phone into my lap before turning to my sister. “I cannot believe how rude you are! Who the hell are you to tell me I can’t go somewhere? You and Lea ditched me this morning. Why can’t I go see my friend if I want to?” I all but yelled and I see everyone, but Naya, widen their eyes in shock.

            “Mackenzie, do not raise your voice at me. I’m looking out for you! It’s too early to start dropping commitments over all this. You need to think about what you’re doing!”

            “You’re not in charge of me, Naya. You can’t tell me what I can and can’t do. If I want to see her, I’ll see her. It’s my life. It’s my decisions! Stop trying to be mama!” I try to move out of the chair, but it’s a tight fit with both of us in it. “Gah! Would you please move so I can leave?” Naya stands up and so does Ryan to grab my hands and help me out of the chair. I walk into the house and slam the patio door behind me.

            After I get comfortable on the couch and my breathing evens out again, I call Yolanda. She’ll understand and talk to Naya for me. I call her however, she doesn’t answer. I redial and again it goes to voicemail. “Ugh!” I exclaim and I see everyone outside turn and look at me. I just turn to look towards the kitchen. After a couple minutes, I hear the door open and close.

            “Sissy?”

            “I’m upset with you, Naya Marie.” I say as I look down at my shirt I’m playing with. She comes around the side of the couch and grabs my hands as she sits down. She tries to hold them, but I pull my hands back and grab my shirt again. “See, you’re doing it again! I want to play with my shirt, but you’re trying to stop me.”

            “Kenzie, I’m doing it because it’s a nervous habit you’ve had your whole life and you never focus on the person you’re talking to. No eye contact means you’re not being honest about something.”

“I’m being honest with you right now, in the fact that you are babying me! Yesterday you made this whole speech to me about how I’m grown and I need to make my own decisions, but when I try you step in and stop me!” Tears escape my eyes as I look up at her. “How am I supposed to know what to do when I’m constantly scared that I’m going to make a mistake? Just like when I was a kid! How am I supposed to raise two babies if I can’t even figure out what I want to do?” And the dam broke. All the insecurities I have been hiding for months are now bubbling over and exploding out of me before I can stop them. She doesn’t move at all, just sits there and listens to everything I am saying.

            “Naya, I live in a one bedroom apartment that I can barely fit my bed in let alone two cribs. How am I supposed to take care of them when I’m a college drop out? I’m broke. I save as much as I can, but I have barely enough to cover their first six months! I don’t know how to be a parent! What if I end up hating them like my parents hated me? What if I-I-I..” That’s when she breaks and quickly pulls me into a strong hug as sobs wrack my whole body. I barely hear everyone shuffle in from outside. I hear Naya sniffling in my ear and I know she’s crying too.     

            “Listen, don’t worry about all that, okay? It’ll all work out and you know we’re all here to help you. You just focus on your health and keeping those babies healthy. Stress isn’t good for you, okay? I’m sorry if you feel I’m babying you, but you’re my baby sister and I just want what’s best for you. Okay?” She leans back to be able to look at me, but keeps her hands on my arms. “We all want what’s best for you and for Conner and Anya. So, let’s get ready to go and you can rest in the car on the way to mom’s, okay?”

            I nod my head and we exchange small smiles before I kiss her cheek and move to stand up. As I face the room, the other four members of our party are all staring at us with these weird smiles, but I don’t think much of it. This whole bunch has, I swear, all adapted pregnancy hormones along with me. I give them all a smirk back and move to the room to get dressed.

            After getting dressed and fixing my hair and everyone packing the cars, everyone was saying their goodbyes and we were heading out. “Wait, can we just have a little more sissy time?” Naya asks as I’m about to grab my purse and head out.

            “Nay.” I laugh. “We’ve been here since yesterday morning together. Come on we’re going to be late for girls day.” I move to grab my purse again, but she moves too sending the purse and all its contents to the floor. “Ugh! Naya! What the hell?”

            “Look, you’re still tense, I can tell.” The taller woman says as she starts to pick up the floor. “Can we just chill here for ten more minutes? Just me and you and the beach? I’ll give you a massage.”

            “Fine, whatever.” I exhale and go to the back porch to sit and wait for her. When she follows me out a minute later she’s on her phone. “You know, if you want time with me, you should probably stop texting other people. You told me to put my phone away and I did. If you can have yours out and I can’t, it’s not fair. I’m trying to get to know Adrianna again and it’s really hard when I can’t even talk to her. I just-”

            “God! Alright. I’ll put it away. You need a nap. You’re rambling.” She puts her phone in her pocket and sits down. I turn and put my legs into her lap and she rubs them. “It was only mom anyway.”

            “Oh, so now she’s answering her phone?” I snide. “Glad she has time for her daughter then, I guess.”

            “Hey, what’s that supposed to mean? What’s going on?” Naya’s voice is soft and she stills her hands on my legs.

            “Nothing.” I try to backtrack and turn my head to look towards the beach, but she places her hand under my chin and guides me back to look at her. We lock eyes and I can feel unshed tears threatening to spill over. God, why am I so emotional today?

            “You know you’re her daughter too. Now, what’s this about?”

            “I called mama earlier and she didn’t answer.” I see her going to protest, but I cut her off. “She always answers and you know it! I called her twice and the second time it didn’t even ring. It went straight to voicemail. She’s avoiding me! What if Mychal’s right?” I pause.

            “Right about what, babe?”

            “Wh-wha-what if she’s upset with me for talking to Ade again?” I feel the tears slowly start to fall down my cheeks, but my sister is quick to wipe them away.

            “Stop this, because she’s not mad. She was just busy earlier getting things done so she can hang out with us tonight. That’s all. How about you call her now? I’ll text her to see if she’s busy.”

            I see her type out a quick text, “Kenzie’s upset. Are you busy?” And a reply came rather quick.“Just finishing things up, but I can talk. Let me call you in a minute.”

            Numbers have always been my thing; since I was a kid. I’ve always been told I ‘trust too easily,’ as well. In cases like this, I guess they go hand-in-hand. Everyone that’s played an important role in my life, minus my family who never noticed, knows that if you tell me a number of time you’ll do something, I assume you’ll do it in that time. I count, whether I tell people or not, but the Rivera’s definitely all know that if you break a commitment, it can sometimes not be pretty. The mood I’m in right now, it wouldn’t turn out well for anyone, including me.

            Naya’s phone lights up and starts making noises and she looks at me, because she knows I was getting anxious. “Fifty-eight seconds.” I whisper as I let out a breath I didn’t realize I was holding.

            “Hey mom, you’re on speaker.” Naya says.

            “Hey Kenzie.” She says softly, ignoring her other daughter. “What’s wrong?”

            “Nothing.” I deadpan.

            “Um.. that attitude is definitely not nothing. Now, tell me.”

            “No, you’ll think it’s stupid.” I try and stay strong, but my voice is betraying me.

            “Mackenzie!” Both mama and Naya exclaim and my head jerks back in surprise. Here come the tears again. God, I can’t wait for my hormones to be normal again.

            “Oh honey, please don’t cry again.” Naya whispers as she wipes my tears. “We didn’t mean to scare you.”

            “Kenzie, baby, I know you’re upset at the moment, but you know we don’t use that word in this family. Tell me what’s wrong, I won’t judge you.”

            “You’re mad at me.” I say so softly that I could barely hear myself, so she repeats herself thinking I didn’t answer. I speak louder. “You’re upset with me.”

            “Why would you think that?”

            “You didn’t answer my phone call earlier and then you ignored my second call and Mychal told me yesterday that you all don’t like that I’m talking to Adrianna again, but then you were just texting Naya and so I thought you were upset, because you always answer everyone’s phone calls. You’ve never ignored anyone’s!”

            “Mackenzie, I didn’t mean to ignore your calls earlier. I was just busy trying to get things done around the house for later. Okay? That’s all. I don’t love anyone more or less than another. You all are my children. Alright? Feel better?” I nod and Naya laughs. “Kenzie, I can’t see you through the phone.”

            “Sorry. Yes, I’m better.” I turn to Naya. “Can we go now?”

            “Yea. Let’s go. We’ll see you in a bit, mom.”

            “Okay. Kenz, you should take a nap on the way back, you’re rambling.”

            “I do not ramble!” But they both only let out small laughs.

            “See you two soon! Love you. Besos!” We said our goodbyes and hung up.

            A couple minutes later, Naya and I are in the car and on the way to mom’s house.

            “I’m really sorry you weren’t able to relax this weekend. That wasn’t the plan, obviously.” She says as we merge onto the freeway.

            “It’s fine.” I yawn. “I had been holding in all these insecurities for months. I think with Ade coming back it forced me to think about things I had been pushing away.” I shrug. “I’m glad it’s all out though. I feel like a weight has been lifted. Would you and mom be able to come over this week, so we can figure out where we can put the babies? I think I’m just going to have them share a crib for a while. At least until I can afford another one.”

            I see Naya turn towards her window a little, but still keeping her eyes on the road. She has a small smile on her face, but when she moves to look ahead again, it’s gone.

            “Yea, sure. I’m sure we can do that!”

            “What was that?” She looks curiously at me. “That smile. What was up with that?”

            “Nothing. I’m just really happy that these little angels are going to be here soon!” She says as she rubs my stomach. I smile and decide to let it go for now.

            After another five minutes of her rubbing my stomach, I’m asleep, but it doesn’t last long. Around twenty minutes later, the babies are kicking up a storm and I can’t seem to sit comfortably anymore. I wake up with a groan and I see the brunette next to me look to me quickly.

            “Everything okay?”

            “No!” I groan again. “They’re kicking me and I can’t get comfortable because my back hurts!” I cry out and try to move around, but nothing helps. I rub my stomach and start talking to my babies. “Anya, Conner. Mommy doesn’t like that you are hurting her. Please. Please stop!” I end up pleading by the end.

            “Sweets, why don’t you lay the seat back and turn on your side a little. You’ve been sitting up for a while now.” I follow her advice and lay down. She waits til I’m settled for a couple minutes before speaking up again. “Feel a little better?”

            “A little. How much longer?” I whimper while I close my eyes, my hands resting on my stomach.

            “About twenty more minutes, but there may be traffic once we hit the city.”

            “Okay.” I squeeze my face in pain right before I try and relax. I fall into a light sleep around ten minutes later. One of those sleeps where background sounds in reality turn into weird things in your dreams. So, I don’t know how long Naya was actually on the phone before I wake up completely. I lay there with my eyes closed still, because I know she is talking about me and I want to be nosey.

            “You know she doesn’t complain about pain though!” I hear her whisper harshly to whoever was on the other side of the call. “I can count on one hand the number of times she’s complained of pain during the last eight months and that includes when she got out of the hospital from Kyle.”

            “Honey, I know you’re worried,” I forgot calls have to be hands-free in California. “but we just have to hope for the best. Okay? She’ll be okay.”

            “Alright, well we’re about five minutes away.”

            “Okay. We’re all here waiting!” I could hear anticipation in mama’s voice before the call disconnected.

            “Kenzie. Kenzie we’re almost to mom’s.” Naya tells me gently as she rubs my side. My eyes slowly flutter open adjusting to the midafternoon light. I look at her and give her a soft smile before sitting myself up and readjusting the seat. “Do you feel any better?” She worried.

            “A little. The little dancers settled down, but my back still hurts. Oh well, just part of the whole deal right?” I tell her as we turn onto the Rivera’s street. “Um.. why are all these cars here? Someone having a party?” I swear there had to be at least 30 cars in the road. We pull into the empty Rivera driveway when the brunette next to me answers.

            “I’m not sure. I haven’t heard anything.” She turns the car off and rushes to get out. “Don’t move. Let me help you.”

            “Nay, I’ve told you before: I’m not handicapped.” I go to get out of the car, but inhale sharply when one of the babies kicks me in the rib.

            “What’s wrong? Are you okay?” She panics.

            “I’m fine. Anya just kicked me in the ribs.” I finally grab her hand and get out of the Jeep. “After girls day, I’m just going to relax in the tub and hopefully everything and these two will calm down.” We walk to the front door and Naya rings the doorbell. I look to her like she had grown another head. “Why are you ringing the doorbell?” I question as I turn the unlocked doorknob. When I opened the door, I was in for the biggest..

            “SURPRISE!” I swear I jumped a foot in the air and grabbed Naya’s arm so fast she probably jumped with me. What the hell is this? I’m still registering everything and my heart is racing as Yolanda rushes up to me with a “Mommy to be” sash. She gives me a hug and kiss and ushers me into the room.

            I’m honestly speechless and I just look back to my sister who has a look mixed between happiness and worry. While I’m finally able to register that I’m at a surprise baby shower and all my friends old and new are here. All of Naya’s current cast mates and some crew members are here, even some we met when she first started acting; Mychal and Lea, Eric and Ryan, George and Naya’s grandparents, and my best friend Amanda are as well. There has to be over fifty people here and I’m truly surprised that all these people would come to something like this.

            While I exchange greetings with all of them, I take a look around the room and it has been completely transformed into a Disney paradise. The first thing I notice are the Mickey and Minnie Mouse balloons everywhere. There around probably around twenty different balloons; as well as a bunch of plain red, white, black, and pink balloons. The next thing are the tables. There are tables everywhere and they all have Mickey and Minnie settings. I cannot imagine the time it took to prepare all this!

            As I continue moving through the room, I see a giant diaper cake. I mean, giant! There has to be enough diapers for the first month at least! It’s all decorated with fun little Disney toys and many pacifiers, bottles, and other small necessities. I’m finally ushered over to the table where the massive amount of presents are located and I see a small Mickey cake that’s decorated half with Minnie Mouse and is pink and half with Mickey Mouse and is red and it is so creative I want to cry. At least now I know why everyone’s been acting weird the last couple days.

            “This is amazing!” I’m finally able to talk to everyone at once. “Thank you all so much.” I speak as tears start falling down my cheeks. I’m just so happy and humbled that everyone is here right now. “I just want to know what they did to get all you guys here today!” I joke and everyone laughs.

            After I get some food and sit down to eat, everyone mingles about talking in small groups. Every once in a while, I’d get someone coming up and asking me how I was feeling. Every time they did, Anya would move or kick. I can tell she’s going to be a drama queen and center of attention as she’s growing up. Later, after some cliché baby shower games, even though I loved them all because any game is fun, Naya pulled me to the side about an hour and a half into the shower.

            “Are you doing okay?” She asked as we sat on the guest bed. Well she sat, I took the moment to lay down and rest, immediately turning on my side towards her.

            I close my eyes just to catch my breath and breathe for a moment before answering her. “Um, yea. I-I’ll be fine.” As if he knew I was lying, I felt Conner push his foot onto my bladder. Not rough like his sister, almost like a warning. Still, after all the kicks from Anya in the last couple hours, that one little nudge sent me into overdrive. “I just need to, like, lay down for five minutes. I think the babies are jealous.” I joke.

            She nods her head and gives my stomach two kisses, “Be nice to your mommy, babies. All this is for you and mommy never misses out on a party. Not even five minutes. Your mommy loves you so much, so please settle down and let her enjoy herself.” She lightly pats my stomach and winks at me before leaving the room, closing the door behind her.

            After a minute of just sitting in silence, I decide to sing to my babies. Singing is one of my passions and whenever I can, I sing to the twins. I quietly sing “Your Mother and Mine” from Peter Pan, my favorite children’s movie. I was facing the window and not the door, so I didn’t see Yolanda standing in the doorway. When I finish the song, the babies are calm and I hear her clear her throat. “That was beautiful.” She says as she walks into the room and I turn over on the bed.

            “How long have you been there?” I ask sheepishly. I’m not usually shy around the Rivera’s, but it’s been a big weekend.

            “Just a few seconds. Now, answer me this,” She sits up against the headboard and motions for me to sit between her legs. I move to oblige and lean my back into her chest. Her strong, but gentle arms wrap around me and we both rest our hands on my stomach. When I feel Anya kick, I move her hand so she can feel, too. “Okay, don’t be using my grandbabies as distractions. Are you really okay, Mackenzie? We don’t have to do presents with everyone today; they’ll understand.”

            I shake my head quickly then turn my head to face her with wide eyes. “Presents are the best part of a party!” I respond seriously. “I would be heartbroken if I couldn’t watch someone’s reaction when they open a present from me. I can’t do that to someone else. I’ll be fine! Promise, mama.. I mean, mom!” I tried to catch my slip, but it was too late. She shook her head at me.

            “Mackenzie Lynn, you know we don’t lie in this family. Naya already told me you were hurting on the way here. I don’t want you pushing it. The doctor said these babies are small and you need to try and hold them as long as you can. If you push yourself, there could be complications.” She tells me sternly as some silent tears fall down my face. I look down in front of me and start playing with my dress.

            “I am still hurting a little bit, but the babies have calmed down. I think I’ll be fine as long as I can open presents on the comfy couch.”

            “That’s in the other room though. It’s smaller. Everyone will be cramped.” She tells me, but I just turn and pout. As soon as I do, I see her smile faintly and I know I’ve won. “You know, you can freely use that on anyone in this family, but I thought I told you not to use it on me.” She winks and gives me a hug.

            “You did, but you know you love me too much to be serious about that.” We move off the bed and walk back out to the party.

            “Everyone, if you could please grab your present and follow us to the back living room. We will be opening presents back there.” Yolanda announces and grabs my hand to start walking.

            “But mom, that room is like half the size.” Mychal questions as Lea goes to grab their present.

            “You know as well as all of us.. what Wendy wants, Wendy gets.” Mychal blushes and I bust out laughing at this remembering when he told his mom that when we were eight and I wanted Puppy Chow so bad. He begged his mom to go to the store to get the cereal for it. I think that’s when I found out my pout worked on her too.

            “Mom, that is not something everyone needs to know!” He looks embarrassed and I just want to mess with him more. So I walk over to him and give him a big hug, even though I look tiny compared to him.

            “What’s wrong? You don’t want everyone to know about how you would always ask for a kiss after I gave you back your shadow, Peter? You know Wendy was the one that offered the kiss and Tinkerbell wouldn’t let her give Peter one.” He’s hiding his face behind his hands and I can tell by his darkened ears that he’s blushing. Everyone in the room is laughing. Naya probably the hardest, because she’s usually the one to make fun of him. “Relax, Mychal, we were like six.” I squeeze him again and move towards the other room.

            It took forever to open everyone’s presents, but it’s my favorite time of any party. Not because I’m getting a bunch of free stuff, but to see the thought and creativity that went into someone’s present. I got almost everything I needed for the first year of the babies’ lives. From bottles, binkies, blankets, car seats, diapers, baby wipes, toys; honestly, I think I got everything but cribs and bedding. There were these pod high chairs; one pink, one blue. I got the cutest Bambi diaper bag and I was shocked when Naya’s cast mates pitched in for two different strollers.

            “We couldn’t decide on which one to get, so we decided to give you both since they’re for different ages anyway.” Dianna explained.

            “Thank you so much! Really. I love everything here! Okay, last one from Grandma and Grandpa Rivera.” I smile towards them as I take the paper out of the small bag when I pull out one of the cutest and one of my favorite presents. Two little, crocheted hats, one Mickey and the other Minnie, that should be able to fit them when they come home from the hospital. “I love them! Thank you so much! They are adorable!”

            “You’re welcome, love. I’ve already started on another pair for when they’re bigger. Peter and Wendy.” Grandma winks at me and I smile at Mychal; it’ll always be our thing.

            “Alright! Cake and desserts are all that’s left, so if we can all head back to the other room.” Mama stands up and smiles at everyone, but I stop her.

            “I don’t think that little cake is going to be big enough for all these people.”

            “Don’t worry about it.” She winks. A lot of that going on today.

            We walk into the other room and on the middle table where I was sitting earlier are two larger cakes that look like little baby bottoms laying down. One has Mickey pants on with the name ‘Conner’ scripted on the side, the other a Minnie dress with ‘Anya.’

            “How did you pull all this off?” I wonder out loud as my eyes are filled with amazement at everything the Rivera’s have pulled off today.

            “It took an army, Kenz, but you deserve it!” Naya tells me as she gives me a hug. “Do we have enough cake now?” She laughs and I nod my head.

            As I sit down and eat the delicious cake with all my family and friends around me, I think about what an amazing support system my twins will have and already do have. Everyone here has been there for me through everything in the last year and many I’ve known since I was a kid or teenager. They have always helped me, supported me, and I’ve done the same for all of them. I love them all so much. In the back of my head though, I can’t help but feel a little pang of sadness when I think that there’s one very important brunette missing.



© 2016 Brittana0909


Author's Note

Brittana0909
Honestly, I'm in such a slump with this story and I haven't been able to write in it for about two years, but it's a goal of mine to finish, because it's the first thing I've ever written. Any constructive reviews could help or anything that would be cool to write about in future chapters. Thanks!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
Added on June 12, 2016
Last Updated on June 12, 2016
Tags: fiction, adrienzie, babies, family, girlxgirl, hollywood, lesbian, lgbt, love, relationship, rwyb, soul mates, toddlers, twins


Author

Brittana0909
Brittana0909

Los Angeles, CA



Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Brittana0909


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Brittana0909