Breach

Breach

A Chapter by BrynnaW.

Something buzzed persistently. Again... Hack eyes steadily opened to see the alarm clock directly in front of his face, the red digits cutting through the darkness that enveloped the room. It was almost midnight. He let his eyes shut but the vibrating refused to cease and a low groan escaped his tired body as he slowly swung his legs over the side of his bed and located the irritating sound. The side button of the phone tempted him to ignore the call but he grudgingly picked up the phone with a slurred hello.

            "Hack?! What took you so long to pick up?" Dagger's voice yelled through the receiver, causing Hack to hold the phone away from his ear. Just as he was about to answer she continued, "Never mind. You need to get to my room right now. We've got a breach."

            "Why can't I use my computer?" Hack finally spoke but she had already hung up. He rubbed his eyes as he walked to her room. Before his hand even touched the cold metal of the brass doorknob, it swung open to reveal a flustered woman. It was obvious that she hadn’t slept much judging by her frantic movements and the coffee clutched tight in her hand until her knuckles were white. Then her eyebrows rose curiously as she noticed that he was wearing sweats without a shirt. He tried to mention that she didn’t give him time to change but she shook her head, rushing him over to her computer while spilling a bit of coffee in the process.

            "Hack, this is huge. I've been trying to trace it for almost ten minutes now but the ends come out shredded. It's destroying every code I throw at it. So, I decided maybe you'd have a better chance at it. Beginners luck, you know? Here ------- No! What's happened?! It's gone!" Dagger's fingers danced rapidly over the keyboard and her eyes flicked over the screen as she tried to make it appear on the screen again. Frustrated, she pounded on the keyboard which caused her to knock the coffee off of the table and onto the floor. She cursed with her feet prodding at the black liquid seeping into the carpet.

            "Doesn't everything leave tracks?" Hack leaned over her, trying to squint at the bright screen.

            "Well... yes, but that could take hours to run. Wait a second... Hack, can I trust you?"

            He nodded as he contemplated whether or not it was a good time to slip in an insult. Dagger smiled slyly as she took off into another room, disregarding the coffee stain.



© 2014 BrynnaW.


Author's Note

BrynnaW.
Sorry it's short. Still editing

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I admire your talent for creating suspense. You always leave me wanting more!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very interesting!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

this was a nice change in the story . as again , Hack is a good eye for the readers and you still manage to write Dagger and characterize brilliantly . loved this chapter and i have to say , the shortness of it made me want more . well done

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

188 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 9, 2011
Last Updated on May 30, 2014


Author

BrynnaW.
BrynnaW.

My New Home, OR



About
My name is Brynna Wynne Wiley. Aka: BrynnaW. I'm supposed to tell all about myself right here but... I've done that before. Now, it's just about the writing. more..

Writing
Mute Mute

A Poem by BrynnaW.


Mute Mute

A Poem by BrynnaW.


The Circus The Circus

A Story by BrynnaW.