Somewhere

Somewhere

A Chapter by BrynnaW.

It had only been a week since he had hacked into the President’s files. He was still a priority one criminal but no one had a face to place with the hack so he could walk freely around the city, for now. To make sure he wasn’t caught, he’d only pay in cash and he walked everywhere. Walking down the long line of shops and skyscrapers on the way to his small apartment, Henry stumbled and fell to the ground as an object struck him. Dazed, he could feel himself being shoved into a car. Was it possible that he was discovered? Who was it? An engine roared and he pushed himself up in the leather seat. A thick, black wall separated him from the driver which struck him as being odd. He hadn’t been in a taxi like this before, if it was a taxi at all. The sound of the air conditioner suddenly kicking up made him jump but he soon relaxed as he breathed in deeply. His eyelids began to feel like heavy weights and a quiet yawn escaped his lips. No, he had to stay awake… But he felt so comfortable…

Henry couldn’t remember how he got to where he now stood. The entire thing was a hazy memory that he couldn’t even begin to piece together. A man the same age as him with sandy blonde hair and a gaunt face gripped his arm in what looked like an old warehouse with several other people rushing around. The people sat in rows with old computers throughout the room, the sound of typing echoed throughout the room as they rapidly searched the news, They seemed to be searching for something but Henry couldn’t figure out what. Someone was yelling at them like a general. A woman? In the middle of the warehouse, leaning against a metal railing behind the people, stood a woman that looked about seventeen or eighteen wearing a black tank top and cargoes. She was barking out orders but failed to notice the man next to Henry yelling out to her.

“Dagger! Over here, Dagger!” The man waved and the woman suddenly spun around to face them with a scowl.

            “Ducky! What are you doing here?! Get back to your assignment!” She yelled at him, failing to notice who stood beside him.

            “Bu---”

            “Get back to work!”

            The man, Ducky, released Henry’s arm and ran off while the woman, or Dagger, began calling out orders again. Henry stayed where he was and wondered whether or not he should find the way out but his curiosity was at its peak. He had to know why they were there, and who ‘they’ were. These people were hacking and he wanted to know what. Henry tried to get Dagger’s attention but nothing seemed to work until he said his name. That seemed to get everyone’s attention.

            “Hello? Where the heck am I? My name is Henry Kallen!” He yelled at the top of his lungs and Dagger spun around with her mouth agape. Whether it be from surprise or shock from someone yelling at her, he couldn’t tell.

            “Will you shut up?” she snapped with her eyes scanning over everyone’s faces. They all stopped typing at once, their faces shining with admiration and shock.

            “What? I think I deserve a right to know---,” Henry stopped because Dagger suddenly snatched up his arm, pulling her with him until she jabbed his own arm backwards at his throat.

          “I told you to shut up. These people think you’re dead, they only wish you were alive so they could get out of here. You don’t exist, okay? These people made you dead, you see them? They’re covering you because you idiotically posted your name on your freakin’ hack!” She shook her head, “You have to stay here now.”

            She pushed him aside and he stumbled back, his cell phone falling to the floor, “What the...” He coughed as he gripped his throat, confused.

            “Shut up. When you’re here, you’ll be taking orders.” She shoved her way past him. The people around the warehouse slowly began to type again, one by one with glances back at Henry. He picked up his phone when she disappeared and saw that the front screen was illuminating a new message. When he opened it, he could see that she had texted him directions to an office in the warehouse. Curious, he thought as he made his way through the maze of halls which were plain with no sign of direction. Though he was confused, he managed to find the right way with the directions he had been given. Then, after about seven minutes, he stood in front of an office labeled Base 1.



© 2014 BrynnaW.


Author's Note

BrynnaW.
Revised. Will be revised again to be extended.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

sorry it took so long to review, i been busy. regardless, nicely done, characters are well formed without having to draw out explanations. through their attitudes and dialogue we can already figure out the kind of person they will be. though i know we're supposed to focus on Dagger and Henry, i'm interested to find out more about Ducky.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

sorry it took so long to review, i been busy. regardless, nicely done, characters are well formed without having to draw out explanations. through their attitudes and dialogue we can already figure out the kind of person they will be. though i know we're supposed to focus on Dagger and Henry, i'm interested to find out more about Ducky.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

An exciting chapter that draws you in with the first sentence. Nicely written!

Posted 11 Years Ago


The first sentence chapters you and draws you in! Keep on penning.

Posted 12 Years Ago


A good chapter, love the detail and excitement. I'm sorry it took so long for me to read. At first, I was a bit confused, you have to describe a bit more because it went on a bit too fast. Well done, I liked it a lot.

Posted 12 Years Ago


this was a very good and thrilling chapter - a vast improvement to President's Files which was great anyway but it was an improvement and i can't wait to see where this story goes and what directions it can take as a whole . Overall - i'm really excited for what's coming next also i like that the chapters are short as sometimes - shorter is better because it gives the reader a lot more to look for in the next one and so on . also i love your detail - KEEP IT UP and what i also like how it's the same story in every chapter basically but all the chapters are unique and different in other ways which is a very good thing as it's good to have something fresh to read .

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Who is she, I wonder? Keep up the awesome writing!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

496 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 2, 2011
Last Updated on May 4, 2014


Author

BrynnaW.
BrynnaW.

My New Home, OR



About
My name is Brynna Wynne Wiley. Aka: BrynnaW. I'm supposed to tell all about myself right here but... I've done that before. Now, it's just about the writing. more..

Writing
Mute Mute

A Poem by BrynnaW.


Mute Mute

A Poem by BrynnaW.


The Circus The Circus

A Story by BrynnaW.



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Deal Deal

A Chapter by BrynnaW.


Delicate Shadow Delicate Shadow

A Chapter by BrynnaW.


Tumble Tumble

A Story by BrynnaW.