Not Alone

Not Alone

A Chapter by Shley De
"

:]

"
 

      When Alexiana walked into her house, she found Saphire sitting on the stairs.

      “Sweetie, come here,” she said.

      Alexiana saw the worry in her cousin's golden eyes. She sat down beside her, tense. She waited for a punishment, but one never came. Saphire began to stroke her cousin's blond hair, humming a lullaby.

      “I'm sorry, cousin, for running out...” Alexiana apologized.

      Saphire smiled with exhaustion, “It's alright, but Lexia, please tell me what is bothering you?”

      Her big blue eyes stared down at her peach dress. She didn't know what to say. Her cousin was so worried, but Alexiana has an awful fear that telling Saphire everything would just make it worse.

      “I can't...” she whispered.

 

      With that, Alexiana bounded up the stairs and into her room. She walked to the window and stared into the village. Outside many kids her age were playing in the streets and adults were walking around. She listened to the faint sound of laughter as the children ran around. Her dream re-entered her mind, and she thought of Nikolae. Who was her? She thought. The sound of knocking brought her back to reality.

      “Lexia...” Saphire stood at the entrance, “Can I come in?”

      “Sure...” Alexiana said, walking away from the window.

      Saphire sat next to her, placing a hand on her head.

      “I know something's wrong, and that you're too afraid to tell me...but running from your fears won't do you any good, love.”

      Alexiana sighed, “Why not? It's easier than facing them...”

      “Wouldn't you much rather talk to someone about your fears? Wouldn't that be better than living through them alone?” Saphire sighed.

 

      Alone. The word struck at Alexiana's heart like a dagger. That's what she felt every restless night when she waited for her sister to return home. All those days of sitting around, waiting for Crystal to come walking into the house, but that hope had died after a year passed. Alone...

      “I'm not alone, though,” Alexiana looked up, “You're here...”

      Saphire took her cousin's small hand, “I am. So tell me what's wrong.”

      Taking in a breath, she told Saphire about the first dream she had when Crystal left.

      “He was so frighting...” she whispered, “He stood there in the darkness and said Crystal was fulfilling her destiny...that she was going to leave...that he was going to take her from me...He told me that I would understand soon enough...and then he told me he'd always be watching me...”

      Saphire tensed, holding Alexiana in her arms. She ran her hand through her cousin's blond hair and coaxed her to continue.

      “Then last night I had a dream about this boy...Nikolae...he called me little sister. He showed me things about his passed. He's an orphan...his mother died in a fire, and his father...” her small voice trailed off as tears swelled in her eyes.

      The fear she felt in her dream coursed through her veins and she couldn't finish. Saphire held her, shushing her sobs as tears spilled from her brilliant blue eyes.

      “Oh Saphire....I'm so confused! And then there was this man today...”

      “A man...?” Saphire asked, looking at her cousin.

 

      “He was in the cemetery,” Alexiana replied, “He walked with me and told me not to cry about the past. He said that if I dwell on the bad things it will only cause sadness; that I'm too pretty to cry...and he also...he said the answers of my questions will come to me soon enough...but I never asked him anything...”

      Saphire listening intently to Alexiana's words. Worry shined in her eyes.

      “What did this man look like, Lexia?” her voice shook.

      “Um...he was tall. His eyes were a really dark brown and he was wearing a hat...why?”

      Saphire stared off, taking in her description. Vladimir, the name raced through Saphire's mind.

      “Sweetie, if you see that man again, run. Do you understand?”

      Alexiana nodded, worried. Who was that man...? she questioned herself. Confusion took hold of her. So many things that couldn't explain were going on in her life and she didn't know what to do. Saphire stood, kissed her forehead, and exited her room slowly. Alexiana just sat there in a daze. What is going on...? Mother, who am I...?



© 2010 Shley De


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
Added on July 18, 2010
Last Updated on July 18, 2010


Author

Shley De
Shley De

Hope Valley, RI



About
Universal Love! Treat everyone with dignity and respect. Care for others and make a difference in the world. Everyone deserves kindness. Be true to yourself and live life to the fullest. more..

Writing
Stitches Stitches

A Poem by Shley De