Amethyst

Amethyst

A Chapter by Shley De
"

:3

"
 

~ Two years later ~

      “Lexia,” Saphire called, walking through the house.

      A long time had passed since her cousin had lost yet another close person, but now Saphire had a surprise- something she knew Alexiana had been longing for since she was only five.

      “Lexia, where are you?”

      Soft giggles echoed through the vast home. The sound was followed by the footsteps of an thirteen-year-old.

      “Come and find me, Fire!” Alexiana chimed.

      Saphire shook her head and walked into the living room where a female figure sat on the couch.

      “Is she coming?” the girl asked.

      Saphire smirked, “I have to 'find her' first.”

      “Shouldn't be too hard,” the girl smiled back, tossing her dark purple hair.

      Saphire stood at the entrance, “Lexia, I have a surprise for you!”

      Footsteps pounded down the hall, as her small voice called out, “A surprise?”

      Alexiana stopped frozen in the hall looking at the girl on the couch. Her pale blue eyes took in the features; raven-black hair that fell like feathers and piercing green eyes. Alexiana knew those eyes so well.

      “Amethyst,” the word caught in her throat.

      She didn't know where the name came from. It was unfamiliar, feeling foreign on her tongue, but those eyes made her heart race. Crystal, the name whispered across her mind.

      “Oh...my...” Alexiana's voice trailed.

      Amethyst stood and gracefully walked towards Alexiana, “Little sister...darling, I've missed you.”

      The small girl through herself into her sister's arms, “Sister!”

 

      Tears fell from her blue eyes as she was held in the slender arms of the sister who was lost for so long. She inhaled the sweet smell of chocolate and mint as Amethyst rocked her back and forth.

      “Dear Lexia, I'm so sorry I left you...”

      Alexiana looked to her sister, unrecognizable form over the years, “Why do you look so different? And...why did I call you 'Amethyst'?”

      Amethyst walked away and sat on the couch, signaling for the child to join her. As Alexiana sat, her sister began to pet her head.

      “I'm dead, Lexia,” she whispered, not daring to look into those pale blue eyes.

      Alexiana sat silently, remembering that dream from so long ago. The way Vlad's teeth sunk into her sister's pale skin sent shivers down her spine. Dead...

      Even though she knew the answer, the word escaped her lips, “How?”

      Amethyst looked to Saphire, not knowing what to say. Their cousin took her place on the other side of Alexiana's frail body.

      “She's a shadow walker, sweetie,” she said, rubbing Alexiana's back.

      The words sunk like a battleship. Alexiana didn't make the connection until now; the stories Saphire would tell her invaded her mind, and a smile slowly crept onto her face.

      “That's...so cool!” she exclaimed.

      Saphire exchanged looks with Amethyst as Alexiana began to ask a million questions. The two giggled at her enthusiasm.

      “I'm not much different that before, love,” Amethyst smiled, “I mean, I'm just the same as Saphire, and you've never acted so enthused over her.”

      Alexiana paused, looking at her cousin, confused. I'm just the same as Saphire, the sentence rattled around in her brain before the light clicked on.

 

      “Oh my...!” Alexiana jumped up, “You're one too, Fire?”

      She nodded, her golden eyes filling with laughter as she replied, “How else would I know so much about them?”

      The small child sat down once more, feeling stupid. I never once questioned her, she thought. Alexiana suddenly felt self-conscience, being the only live person in the room, and that embarrassment made her feel silly. Amethyst took her blond hair in her hands and began to braid the locks together, humming a lullaby. Saphire left the room, but Alexiana didn't think twice on it. Happiness radiated around her now that her sister was home.

      “Well, I must be off,” Saphire said, walking back into the room.

Alexiana looked up to see her cousin holding a backpack, “Where to?”

Saphire's face flushed as she pretended to smile. Her small cousin stood, her satin blue dress falling to her body. She sensed something was wrong and looked between both girls for the answer. Amethyst and Saphire both avoided eye contact and she clenched her fists.

      “What's going on, Fire?” she squeaked.

      Saphire placed a hand on Alexiana's head, “I'm going to bring back Nikolae, sweetie.”

      She stepped back, confused. Nikolae, the name pulled at her heart. Alexiana shook her head, dismissing the tears.

      “How long will you be gone...?” she asked, reaching for her cousin.

      Saphire took her hands and smiled, “I'm not sure, but I will be back...I promise you that.”

      Amethyst stood behind her sister and place a hand on her shoulder. Saphire kissed Alexiana on the forehead and left the house, headed for the land beyond her village's gates. Alexiana watched her walk off, her body shaking.

      “She'll return, love,” Amethyst reassured.

      “I know,” Alexiana turned and gave a smile, “A promise is a promise.”



© 2010 Shley De


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
Added on July 19, 2010
Last Updated on July 19, 2010


Author

Shley De
Shley De

Hope Valley, RI



About
Universal Love! Treat everyone with dignity and respect. Care for others and make a difference in the world. Everyone deserves kindness. Be true to yourself and live life to the fullest. more..

Writing
Stitches Stitches

A Poem by Shley De





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
The Shadow On My Shoulder
There is an angel who sits upon my shoulder who goes by the name of Death...