Lost and Found

Lost and Found

A Chapter by Shley De

 

~ Three Years Later ~

      The wind was gentle as it danced across the field. Leaves danced with it, some landing in the nearby pond. Alexiana stood at the edge, her white dress dancing around her legs. She came to Nikolae's special place everyday, searching for answers. So much time passed since Saphire left to find him. Amethyst spent all morning sleeping, so she was alone all day. Always alone, she thought to herself. As the sun began to set, Alexiana walked home, hoping Amethyst would be awake. She needed comfort from her sister.

* * *

      “Ame,” Alexiana called, walking into the house.

      She found her sister packing quietly in her room. Amethyst turned, startled and held the bag behind her. She stood in the doorway, her blue eyes, eying her sister suspiciously.

      “What is that?” she asked cautiously.

      Amethyst walked out of her room, placing the pack on her shoulders, refusing to look at her sister. Alexiana gasped and chased her down the hall. Nothing was said between them but she knew her sister's intentions. As her sister reached for the door, Alexiana jumped off the stairs.

      “You can't!” her voice called out.

 

      Her small figure flew across the room, hands stretched out towards her sister. Amethyst turned to catch Alexiana as she landed in her arms. Those blue eyes looked up in desperation and she sighed with sadness.

      “I must,” she whispered, holding her little sister.

      The small girl shook her head violently, sending locks of blond in a fury, “Don't go, please...”

      “They've been gone for three years, I have to find them,” Amethyst gently pulled her sister from her long, black dress.

      Alexiana's body shook as she fought back tears. Her sister finally returned to her, spent all their time to share sleeping, and now she was leaving once more. She couldn't hold back the pain and betrayal she felt.

      “But I can't be alone...” she whispered.

      Falling to her knees, she covered her brilliant blue eyes, now spilling tears. She felt so lost and alone, the way she felt when her sister first left her.

      “Please don't cry,” Amethyst knelt to her sister.

      Tear-filled eyes looked up to Amethyst, freezing her. All the fear Alexiana held pierced her heart, sending a wave of guilt through her. She didn't want to leave her sister so broken.

      “Lexia...don't you miss Saphire? What about Nikolae?”

      Nikolae... The name echoes through her mind and she grabbed Amethyst's hand, “Bring him back...”

     Amethyst stood, nodding, and walked out of the house, leaving Alexiana all alone, crying on the floor.

 

* * *

 

      Alexiana walked the path within the forest, her mind in space. Images of her family ran across those blue eyes. She had been alone for three weeks and her hope was beginning to die. Alexiana paused in a small clearing, letting a single tear run down her soft cheek. A breeze danced solemnly with her black dress as she dropped to her knees. From the corner of her eye, she noticed a piece of polished wood.

Slowly, she picked up the wooden sword. It felt light in her grasp and she stood with it. Raising her arm, she brought the sword down on a nearby tree and listened to the impact. She swung again, and then again, letting her pain channel through.

      “Why are you attacking the trees?” a voice spoke form the shadows.

      Alexiana froze, “Who's there...?”

      “Did they do something to upset you?” the voice answered.

      Alexiana dropped the wooden blade, “Nikolae...”

      Nikolae came into the clearing with a smirk, “You're just a kid.”

     She stared in awe, her eyes stinging with tears, “So are you...”

 

      He walked over to her and placed a hand on her head. She was shaking, her heart pounding in her chest. He was back, after so long. He ran out of her life, and now he was standing before her with a smile on his face, waiting for her acceptance.

      “You shouldn't be wandering the woods on your own, Lexia. It's dangerous.”

      She shook her head, “I'm not alone anymore, I'm with you...big brother.”

      They stood there silently looking into each others' eyes. His hazel eyes connected with hers and left her mind blank. Mixed emotions ran through her; happiness, pain, confusion.

      “Saphire came to look for me,” Nikolae spoke, “She tried to stop me, but she was too late. I made the pact...”

      Alexiana frowned, “big brother...”

      He took her in his arms and held on tightly, “I will always be here to protect you. I'm not going to let anyone harm you, little sister...”

      She stood in his arms, taking in his warmth. Fireflies surrounded them as rain began to fall.

      “Let me walk you home,” Nikolae said, taking her hand.

      They began walking down the path, just like the first time they met.

      “Your death won't be anytime soon,” she chimed after much silence.

      Nikolae nodded, staring before him.

      “You won't die until you're seventeen.”

      He looked anywhere but at Alexiana. He could feel her staring at him with those brilliant eyes of hers.

      “Did I tell you that?” he asked.

      Frowning, she replied, “No. Vlad did.”

      Nikolae froze, “How do you know Vladimir?”

      They stopped at the edge of the forest, the village in view. She turned to Nikolae and whispered to herself.

      “That's not true...He visits me while I'm sleeping.”

 

      “What?” he asked in disbelief, “What else does he tell you?”

      Fear shot through his veins and reflected in his eyes. Vladimir, he thought with resentment, What do you want with her?

      “First, before my sister disappeared, he told me that he was going to take her...and he did. He told me not to cry about my past, and when Saphire left he came and told me about you. Ever since then he's been visiting me every night...”

      Nikolae's grip on her hand tightened as his anger grew within him. His hazel eyes turned cold as they walked, taking in everything he heard.

      “Big brother,” Alexiana whimpered, “You're hurting me...”

      This snapped him back into reality and he loosened his grip. They continued walking in silence, the rain chilling their exposed skin. When they finally reached her house, Alexiana hesitated.

      “Did anyone return with you?” her voice quivered.

      Nikolae shook his head, “I ditched your cousin a while back. I doubt your sister has found her yet.”

      Alexiana looked to the big, empty house behind her and frowned, “Stay with me?”

      He looked to her small, shaking figure and then to fer flawless face. Her blue eyes were filled with a chilling pain that screamed for him to help her. It struck his heart, causing him to breathe in quickly.

      “Okay,” he whispered as they both entered the house.



© 2010 Shley De


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
Added on July 20, 2010
Last Updated on July 22, 2010


Author

Shley De
Shley De

Hope Valley, RI



About
Universal Love! Treat everyone with dignity and respect. Care for others and make a difference in the world. Everyone deserves kindness. Be true to yourself and live life to the fullest. more..

Writing
Stitches Stitches

A Poem by Shley De