Rainfall Sorrow

Rainfall Sorrow

A Chapter by Shley De
"

Can you turn my black roses red?

"
 

~ Three years later ~

      The rain poured down and the wind blew wildly at her pink dress as Alexiana ran through the dark, deserted forest trail. The dirt beneath her bare feet was quickly turning into mud, making it harder to run. Dashing down the trail, she tried to keep track of the figure before her, but the person was getting farther and farther away. Run fast! She told herself. Her feet pounded the ground, and she kept slipping in the mud, her blond hair getting in her face. I'm going to lose him...

      “Nikolae, stop!”

      Her yell was in vain. He kept running faster through the twisting trail. Alexiana pushed harder, the earth moving swiftly beneath her.

      “I can't lose him,” she cried, “I won't!”

      Closing her blue eyes, Alexiana urged her body to run faster, but nothing happened. Her body reached it's limit. Opening her eyes, she saw a clearing up ahead. She sprinted into the clearing and jolted to a stop.

      “What...?”

      The area was deserted. Looking around, she tried to find Nikolae. In the opening, a bunny ran by. The wind whistled violently as it yanked at her hair. Behind where she was located, the forest seemed to almost be reaching out, trying to suck her into it's darkness for eternity. It gave off an eerie and unsafe vibe, even though she spent most of her time in there. The only noise that was heard was the sound of raindrops pelting down on the ground as it began to rain. Nikolae was nowhere to be seen. She frantically looked to the village gates before her. They were securely locked shut, eliminating his chance of escape.

 

      With worry in her big blue eyes, Alexiana pulled strands of her hair from her face, “Big brother always said I should stop hiding behind my hair.”

      She looked around once more, hoping to see the twelve-year-old sandy haired boy standing right near her. The rain fell hard on her small frame and she shivered, hugging herself tight.

      “Why is he doing this?” she asked herself, “Doesn't he care about me? Doesn't he...”

      “Why are you following me?” a cold voice spoke from behind her.

      Slowly, Alexiana turned back to the village gates and saw Nikolae standing in the shadows. His hazel eyes stared right through her with emptiness. She walked towards him, reminding herself not to cry. He always thought it was weak, though he'd never tell me, she thought.

      “Big brother, why are you leaving?” her voice cracked, “Where are you going?”

      He didn't budge, not even an inch, giving her the same blank stare he gives to everyone in this village, “Alexiana, you don't belong here. Go home.”

      Her eyes widened as her voice became defensive, “What? Why should I?”

      Ignoring her, Nikolae walked up to the small girl, filling the gap between them, “Your eyes deceive you.”

      Alexiana flinched. He was right; she was trying so hard to act tough when really all she wanted to do was cry.

      “Answer my question, big brother.”

      His eyes softened, “I can't...”

 

     Quickly, Alexiana stepped away from him, “Can't tell me? You're my big brother, Nikolae. You're suppose to tell me things. You can't just leave me here all alone...!”

      Nikolae looked to the ground beside him as she began to sob, “You'll hate me if I tell you. I don't want you hating me, Lexia...”

      She stared at him, speechless. She had always loved him more than anyone she knew since she met him three years before. Alexiana looked up to him. She could never hate him. Slowly, it dawned on her as to why he believed so.

      She took another step back, “you mean...you're going to see that evil man after all? But...you said....no! Three years ago you told me that you wouldn't go!”

      Nikolae clenched his fists, “That was then...this is now. Lexia, I can't waste anymore time! Don't you get it? You're going to live forever! If I don't see him...you've out live me...”

      The brother she looked up to, loved so dearly, and was once so close to now seemed so distant, even though he was right in front of her, moving into reaching space. Nikolae started to stroke her hair as she stood there helplessly, not knowing what to do.

      “I need the power that he's offering so that I can forever protect you. Just like crystal asked...” he whispered gently in her ear.

      The mentioning of her sister made her cringe. She had been lost for so long, but she told him to look out for Alexiana before she left. That's right, she thought, he doesn't care if you don't want him to go. He only cares about doing what Crystal asked of him... The pain squeezed at her heart, making it feel as if it could burst at any moment.

Nikolae's breath was warm against her ear, compared to the chilling air and pounding rain on their bodies. She stared into his hazel eyes, looking for any signs of affection. Reaching out, he placed a hand on the back of her neck, his fingers finding each pressure point perfectly.

      “Go home.”

      Tears started to stream down her pink cheeks rapidly, blending with the rain.

      “Please don't leave me...” she squeaked as the world around her went black and Nikolae slowly faded away...

 

* * *

 

      Alexiana sat up quickly, her hair flying around her face. She was lying down right in front of the village gates, with a worried figure knelt down beside her.

      “Lexia, you're awake,” Saphire sighed with relief, “Are you alright?”

      “Yeah,” was all she responded.

      It wasn't as dark, but it was still raining. The rain pelting down from the sky was still the only audible sound, now being accompanied by the sound of Saphire and Alexiana breathing in sequence. The raindrops hit Alexiana's small body hard, like pebbles. Rising to her feet, she rubbed her neck.

      Saphire rose as well, “Darling, what are you doing out here?”

      She looked over with her blue eyes, still holding her sore neck, “Big brother knocked me out...”

      Saphire's face turned shocked. Her golden eyes widened, filling with sadness. Alexiana turned in slow circles, trailing her sights around for any sign of Nikolae. The sun was slowly rising over the cliff of the village.

      “I found you laying here an hour ago,” her cousin stated, concern written on her perfect face.

      “I must have been out for a long while then,” Alexiana turned back to face her cousin.

      As she stood from the ground, she noticed that the gates were unlocked, agape, and flapping in the breeze.

      “He's...gone...” she whispered, “He's really, truly...gone...”

 

      As quickly as she had awoken, Alexiana fell to the ground once more and cried into the palms of her dirt-covered hands. The rain fell down on her cold, shaking body.

      Saphire tucked a strand of ebony hair behind her ear and knelt down beside her frail cousin, “Lexia...shh, it's going to be alright. Please don't cry.”

      She embraced Alexiana, shielding her from the water droplets. The small girl buried her face into her cousin's long, silky hair, sobbing uncontrollably. Saphire rocked her, hushing away the bursts of sobs sweetly.

      “I'm all alone. First my father, then mother, Crystal...and now him. You're all I have left and you usually have to go on trips out of the village...” Alexiana cried.

      Her cousin frowned, feeling guilty. The small blond child was truly alone.

      “Please send him back to me,” the child's voice squeaked out silently as Saphire rocked her back and forth, “I don't want him to leave me. I don't want him to go. I don't want to be all...alone...”

      Saphire hugged her cousin tight, “You're not alone, Lexia, nor will you ever be. You have me and I love you. I will never leave you on your own, my love. I won't let you be alone any longer.”

      Alexiana stopped crying and looked up. Her cousin's smile warmed her inside and she wiped the remaining tears from her eyes.

      “Promise?” he small voice rang.

      “I promise,” Saphire laughed.

      Alexiana hugged her cousin a final time and they stood. The sun had fully risen now, and the rain came to an end. Birds were chirping and the sound of kids laughing could be heard in the far distance. A small canary landed on Saphire's shoulder and whistled. Alexiana smiled, her face lighting up, as the bird flew off, carrying her hope to the heavens.

      “Everything will be okay,” Saphire smiled, “A promise is a promise.”



© 2010 Shley De


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
Added on July 18, 2010
Last Updated on July 18, 2010


Author

Shley De
Shley De

Hope Valley, RI



About
Universal Love! Treat everyone with dignity and respect. Care for others and make a difference in the world. Everyone deserves kindness. Be true to yourself and live life to the fullest. more..

Writing
Stitches Stitches

A Poem by Shley De