Meeking Nikolae

Meeking Nikolae

A Chapter by Shley De
"

Three years later

"
 

      Fireflies illuminated a peaceful face as an eight-year-old girl explored the forest of her village. The moon led her across a path surrounded by multiple trees and flowers. The small girl skipped along, humming softly to herself. A summer night's breeze danced with her white dress and blond hair.

      Alexiana, a voice whispered across her mind, today you will find one answer you seek.

      She paused and listened, wondering who said her name. In the distance she could hear the sound of wood hitting wood and what seemed to be a boy yelling. A shiver traveled down Alexiana's spine as she ran towards the noise. She came to a slight clearing and saw a familiar boy fighting nothing in particular with a wooden sword. He appeared to be a year older than she and there was a spark in his hazel eyes that captured her. Hidden in the shadows of the night, she watched the boy lunge at trees and jump around. Her blue eyes shone in fascination.

 

      “Why are you attacking the trees?” she asked from the shadows.

      The boy jumped, startled, and looked around him.

      “Who's there?” he yelled.

      Alexiana didn't move from her spot, “Did they do something to upset you?”

      The boy glared all around him, :Come out so I can see you.”

      Shrugging, she came into the clearing. The boy stared at her, confusion in his hazel eyes.

      “You're just a kid.”

      “So are you,” she replied.

      "What's your name?” he asked, walking in a circle around her.

      “Alexiana.”

      He paused in her face, “Well, Alexiana. I'm Nikolae.”

      Her heart froze for a beat. Nikolae, the name ran through her mind, making her dizzy.

      “You shouldn't be wandering the woods on your own.”

      Alexiana shook her head, “I'm not alone. I'm with you.”

      Nikolae looked at her, “Listen. You should go back home. Want me to walk you?”

 

      She nodded eagerly and held out her hand with a smile. Awkwardly, he took it and they began walking. Alexiana began to hum to herself while skipping next to Nikolae. He walked stiffly watching her. Something about her felt familiar. He racked his mind for anything that could explain it but nothing came up.

      “You're an orphan,” she chimed, knocking him back to reality.

       He nodded, staring into her blue eyes.

      “Your mother died in a fire and your father was murdered.”

      Nikolae looked at Alexiana, “How...do you know all of that?”

      Smiling, she replied, “You told me.”

      “I never told you anything,” he removed his hand from hers, “I just met you!”

      Alexiana stopped at the edge of the forest, the village in full view. Nikolae was staring at her, disbelief and what seemed to be frustration in his eyes. His face was slightly red and she pouted at him.

      “That's not true. You're always telling me things when I'm sleeping.”

      He looked at her, his features calming down, “You mean to tell me...that you dream about me? ...For how long?”

      “Always, since I was five. You show me things and you're always with me.”

 

      Nikolae continued walking with her, taking her hand once more, as she explained her dreams; his memories. Alexiana's blue eyes were vivid as she spoke, her blond hair like a halo while the wind took it for a spin around her head. He found himself completely drawn to this girl and her musical voice.

      “Thank you for walking me,” she hugged him.

      They were standing in front of a worn down, old cabin- the oldest house in the village.

      “Night, big brother!” she exclaimed, kissing his cheek and running into the house.

      Alexiana watched through the window as Nikolae stood baffled. She stared as the boy of her dreams, and nightmares, walked away, now tangled forever in the web of her life.

      “Honey, who's that?” a girl asked from behind her.

      “That's my big brother, mommy.”

      “Cousin,” the girl corrected, her golden eyes holding the warmth of her smile.

      “Sorry, Saphire,” Alexiana hugged her cousin and yawned.

      “Come on, sweetie, let's get you to be.”

      Saphire led Alexiana up to bed, and the small child awaited for her brother's return, in her dreams.



© 2010 Shley De


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

159 Views
Added on July 18, 2010
Last Updated on July 18, 2010


Author

Shley De
Shley De

Hope Valley, RI



About
Universal Love! Treat everyone with dignity and respect. Care for others and make a difference in the world. Everyone deserves kindness. Be true to yourself and live life to the fullest. more..

Writing
Stitches Stitches

A Poem by Shley De