3: Painful Past

3: Painful Past

A Chapter by Mikhaela M.

After minutes of laying down the grass under the moon, Gramma and I decided to go back to the tavern we rented just near the cliff. It wasn't that far from our spot, it only took a few minutes walking back to it.

I was the one who asked my Gramma to go on a vacation, just the two of us, and this place is what Gramma chose.

After that moment we had on the cliff, I thought that was the best vacation that I ever had, Mom never took me on vacation that time, in fact it seemed like she left me in Gramma's care, like she abandoned me. I rarely see her when I was six. So more like, I loved my grandmother more than my own mother. And so I thought, that vacation with her was the best.

And it was just so stupid of me to think that, because that vacation was actually the worst - and will continue to be - of them all.

It was also so stupid of me that I left my grandmother all alone at the tavern. I could've just died with her, if I just didn't try to hide, I only wanted to play hide-and-seek with her...

As we went up the porch of the tavern, holding hands, we were singing my childhood favorite song, but is now the worst song ever.

"Old MacDonald had a farm," She was always the one who starts the song first, "E-i-e-i-o!"

"And on that farm he had a cow,"

"E-i-e-i-o!," then at this part, it will still be my turn. "And a moo moo here and moo moo there!"

"Here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo! Old MacDonald had a farm, E-i-e-i-o! And Old MacDonald had a farm, E-i-e-i-o!" At the last part we sang it together happily. I didn't know it could be our last singing that song together.

Then Gramma unlocked the door for us, she pushed the door open and the both of us went in. It was so dark inside that I was very scared, I stepped back out. But Gramma didn't know. That was the time I thought it will be the best time to play hide-and-seek.

When I had decided to play with her, I carefully tiptoed until she won't see me anymore. I hid beside the tavern. And while I was hiding, I heard her say "Oh dear, playing games again, are we?" I giggled at that, and I knew she heard me that time. "So must I find you then?"

"Yes!" I then answered her.

And just a little bit above me, it was a window pane. I knew I would be able to see Gramma if I take a peek from that window. So I got on my toes, and tried to look for her. That moment, I knew I can smell something strange. Something strange that's been all over the kitchen of the tavern, and all over the house, but I just ignored it. I didn't know anything about it before.

"Okay, just wait for me, my dear. I'll get a candle so I would be able to see you in the dark." I silently giggled again.

And then my Gramma came to my sight, she was entering the kitchen with a smile. She was always that 'Live to smile, and smile to live' person.

Then she got closer, and I'm afraid she would be able to see me. I hid myself again, and waited for a couple of seconds before I tiptoed again to see my Gramma, who was just about to light up a match.

The next thing I knew, the whole tavern had exploded from the inside and it sent me flying backwards. I landed flat on my back, I didn't know what happened next, all I remember is waking up at a hospital with my mother crying beside me.

I didn't realize I was already crying while I gazed at the moon. Gram'ma, I miss you so much. Then I closed my eyes, letting more tears escape my eyes.

I breathed in, then let it out of my nose. Breathe through the nose, and not through your mouth, SethBreathe through the nose, and not through the mouth. I told myself repeatedly, trying to regain back my composure.

Just then I realized that something was licking the tears that were flowing from my eyes. I snapped my eyes open, and I saw a pair of violet orbs that were as beautiful as the moon it is. I couldn't prevent the smile forming on my lips.

"Thank you, Chase."

"Meow~"

"I take that as you're welcome." Again, I closed my eyes, listening to the soft rustling sound of the trees, and feeling the cold breeze that was touching my skin. Finally, I felt relaxed, comfortable, relieved. I really hated that memory of my Gramma, but those were my last moments with her. So I had to treasure them, though it's really hard to do so.

Chase did not stop licking my tears, although they were all already licked. "Chase, stop licking me already."

But he didn't follow me.

"Chase.."

He still didn't stop.

"Perhaps, you want something to drink?" With that, he halted then fixed his eyes on mine. I stared back. His eyes just really looked strange, like every time I look straight at it I would feel weak. He averted his eyes from mine and started to wander his eyes around along with his petite body.

"Meow~" I ignored that sudden feeling. Well I was right, he wanted something to drink.

I chuckled lightly, getting up from the grassy ground. When I got on my feet, I patted the dirt I got on my sleeves, back, and shorts, away. I started making my way to the porch, and when we were already there, the door was closed. Yeah it was closed.

So, how could Chase go out if I actually closed the door? Not that he would be able to twist the door knob and open the door by himself. I slowly turned my gaze to him who was at the moment sitting down just beside my bare feet, staring up at me with his head tilted to the side.

It was as if he was trying to say 'what?'

I smirked, "Oh dear, jumping down from balconies again, are we?"



© 2016 Mikhaela M.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

87 Views
Added on April 24, 2016
Last Updated on April 24, 2016


Author

Mikhaela M.
Mikhaela M.

Philippines



About
I'm an average teenager who prefers to live in another world through her books. more..

Writing
Mistaken Mistaken

A Story by Mikhaela M.