4: Cats and Coffees

4: Cats and Coffees

A Chapter by Mikhaela M.

When we got inside the house, I caught glimpse of the wall clock. It was already twelve-thirty, still, I wasn't sleepy yet. I wanted to do more. And since Chase wanted a drink, I went inside the kitchen. Chase and I parted ways, me going to the kitchen, and him going to whatever he wanted to go to.

As I stepped inside the kitchen, I didn't bother to turn on the lights. Darkness. I was scared of the darkness that night when my Gramma died, it was also the reason why I wanted to go back outside of the tavern that time. Because of my fear of darkness, my Gramma died all alone in tavern when it exploded. I could not even say my goodbye and I love you to her. And in fact, everything was my fault.

Everything was.

The fact that I was so scared of the darkness that I left her alone in the tavern. The fact that I didn't tell her that there was something wrong going on inside the kitchen. The fact that I was the one at fault because I wanted to play, she shouldn't have been lighting up a candle to see in the darkness so she could find me. And the fact that in the first place, I was the one who pursued her to go on a vacation with me.

The metal spoon I got from the counter fell from my hands, its clunking noise bouncing on the tiled floor filled the room. It brought me back to reality, realizing that there was a lump stuck in my throat, and that my eyes were starting to well up. I shook the feeling away as I bit my lip to prevent myself from crying for the second time tonight. I was always like this. Suffering from the pain that my grandmother had left me, well, everything was my fault. Every blame must be put on me. And I would have to suffer all my life, blaming myself and only I. No one else. Because of those facts.

I shook my head, trying to remove all those thoughts away from my mind and just concentrate on making my coffee and Chase's milk.

Going back, still, I didn't turn on the lights. The moonlight coming from the window is enough for me to see. I grabbed a mug from the wooden cream-colored cabinet attached to the ceiling, and a porcelain bowl that I always used for Chase. I placed them on our table that was once dirtied with crumbles of chocolate chip cookies. I smirked, I've dealt with it. I have already dealt with the weird likes and dislikes of my cat. A cat that I found at some street wandering around when I was six. It was after the burial of my grandmother, we were already on our way to our new home that time when I told my mom to stop the car. That night, I just found myself carrying that cat in arms while I was walking towards the porch of the house.

I snatched a 3-in-1 pack of coffee from a counter's cabinet and teared it open, pouring its contents in the olive mug I got on the table. I then poured hot water in it for the last draw, stirring it with a new spoon I got at the same time. I didn't mind picking up the spoon that fell on the floor.

And for Chase, I just grabbed a pitcher that was half-filled with pure cow milk that I always drink every morning. I poured some of its content in the porcelain bowl.

Now, all done.

I made my way out of the kitchen, carrying the cup and bowl with me. I was at the living room, but when I traveled my eyes around the area, nothing, no one. There was no sign of Chase. Oh, and the movie Insidious was still playing. The part where the father is trying to find the soul of the insidious child so him and his family could live happily ever after. Sweet? I sighed. I don't care.

I walked upstairs, I didn't trip. Again, the moonlight is enough for me to see.

When I got to the second floor, our second small living room was the first thing I saw. Still, no sign. All the doors were closed, Marlene-my mom-and Robin's was closed. Same with the room of my stupid hell of a brother named Russel and the bathroom's. But except for mine. Well, I've always left it open. That means Chase was just in there.

Without further ado, I proceeded inside of my room, but there was no sign of him. I mentally smirked, I already knew where he was. If you will compare my room to the other two rooms, my room was the smallest, but it had the most peaceful part of the house. The balcony. And I was a hundred percent sure that Chase was just out there.

I made my way to my desired location. As I stepped my foot on the freezing floor, the cold breeze welcomed me. The wind carried my wavy long hair, it flowed along with the wind. I breathed in fresh air, and turned to see Chase sitting on the round table as he was licking his paws. When he noticed that I was already there, he tilted his head and stared at me, then to the drinks I brought. He swiftly jumped on the railing, and meowed at me. As if saying; What took you so long? Go on, place them on the table. Right, I have a very creative imagination, but I was only using my instincts.

I couldn't stop the smile that already formed on my lips, "Right, right. Don't order me around, Neko-san." I mumbled, already placing the drinks on the marble top of the table. I sat comfortably on the chair at the right side, and Chase swiftly jumped back down to the table and sat. I gripped the handle of my mug, and took a sip from my coffee, and then again, and again as I stared up at the moon. The thing is, I don't get tired of staring up at the moon and admire its beauty. People might not see it that beautiful, me too, a small piece of me says that the moon is just nothing, that the moon is just a lifeless thing, place. But a bigger piece of me kept on saying that the moon is very beautiful. That it is very beautiful you wouldn't get tired of admiring it every time you had the chance to do so. Probably, it was the effect of what my Gramma told me. I smiled to myself, knowing that it was really the effect of that answer.

I sipped from my coffee repeatedly, until I realized that I already drank half of my drink. I sighed, facing down then closing my eyes. I let a whole minute pass in that position. Then finally, I opened my eyes.

The first thing I saw were Chase's violet eyes. And my eyes widened in disbelief when I saw him just staring at me. Not moving. He didn't even move from the last position I last saw him, same with his bowl of milk. "What's wrong?" I asked, brows furrowed.

At last, he moved, only that he just went closer towards me. I stared at him as he took each step closer slowly. Then he sat, just beside my mug, and tilted his head at me. "Meow~" His tone, it was like he was asking me something. The next thing he did, he rubbed his head on the tip of my mug.

Now, I get it. He wanted my coffee.

"So you want my coffee, huh?" I snickered, amusement plastered on my face. "Fine, it's yours." I said.

I sighed again as I got up from my chair, leaving my cat Chase who was busy licking--I mean, drinking--my coffee. I smirked. What's up with cats and coffees? Plus cookies.

I decided to take a shower, so I started making my way to the bathroom. But before that, I told Chase to enjoy his coffee, and that I'll go take a shower before going to sleep.

I was already in the CR, this time I turned on the lights. There were no windows inside the bathroom, means no moonlight that can help me see through the dark. The lights blinked trice--it happens every time I go in the bathroom--as I turned on the heater first, I certainly wouldn't like to shower with freezing cold water. And this, it was actually the second best thing to do at nights. Taking a shower with warm water. I undressed myself, before sliding the curtains back to its place.

-

With a towel wrapped around my body, I stepped out of the bathroom. My muscles felt so relaxed because of the warm bath. The cold air of the night coming from my room touched my whole body every time I make a movement. I walked towards it.

When I stepped inside, I gently closed the door. I turned around and I saw Chase laying on the left corner of my twin-sized bed. He was just there, eyes closed. I smiled to myself at the sight of him sleeping. He was so cute. I then walked across the room, and closed the door connecting my room to the balcony. The wind was too cold.

I walked back to the other side of the room, I went in front of my closet and let the towel wrapped around me fall down the floor as I got myself new clothes to wear tonight. I got a new pair of underwear, and an over-sized shirt. I was about wear my underwear, when I noticed in the reflection of the mirror of my closet the purple eyes of Chase as he stared at me. I froze for a second, but then I remembered that he was just a cat. I slightly shook my head, and just wore my undergarments and shirt. "Chase, don't look at me when I'm getting dressed. That's a doing of a maniac, you know?" I told him as I turned around, took four steps, and plumped down my bed. "Meow," I rolled to the other side of the bed, and slid under my comforter.

I threw Chase a tight smile before saying my "goodnight" to him. But when I told him that, I just couldn't take my eyes off him.

He stared straight into my blue eyes, and so did I do the same to his violet orbs. We kept staring into each others' eyes as I just felt my energy drifting away from my body like mist slowly fading off into the air.



© 2016 Mikhaela M.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

185 Views
Added on April 24, 2016
Last Updated on April 24, 2016


Author

Mikhaela M.
Mikhaela M.

Philippines



About
I'm an average teenager who prefers to live in another world through her books. more..

Writing
Mistaken Mistaken

A Story by Mikhaela M.