7: Devastation

7: Devastation

A Chapter by Mikhaela M.

I traveled my eyes around, looking for a place where I could stand by first until the rain calms down. It was raining hard again, my hood's wet all over since I don't have my umbrella anymore, and so does my jeans. Thank god I wore my leather jacket, or else my whole body will seriously be soaking wet right now. Everybody else in this area had umbrellas with them, some people are under the roofs of drug stores, small boutiques, sitting or standing waiting for the rain to stop. I rolled my eyes. So, what? Should I go there too? No way, I hate being exposed to the public and now that my jeans is wet. I would prefer somewhere I'm alone. I spun around, tugging the hem of hood to cover my face even more. Gritting my teeth and hissing curses as the drops of the rain came pouring down to every part of my body like bullets. The rumbles from the sky got louder, and then a thunder struck.

Here it goes again.

I quickly made my way to the area where I could stay at first. I ran until I reached the chain of the swing and held onto it, catching my breath. Well it's quite far from where I was. I glanced down, and it made me groan inwardly. My jeans got even dirtier than before, and my boots' heels had looked like they were dipped in a dinosaur's poop. Mud. I looked up, I was under the roof-like thing of the swing here in the park. Even if the soil I am stepping on is turning to mud, at least, I'm alone and I have a good view over here.

And I could see how hard the rain is pouring down, and the continuous sharp strikes of the thunderstorm.

I guess I won't be able to find Chase, huh? Without an umbrella and weather like this, of course I won't. Who am I kidding?

I wonder why did I even give my umbrella to people I don't really know, to complete strangers. And even weirdos. I smirked at the thought. In the middle of the muddy path, bare footed, soaking wet without an umbrella, hair so messy, the necklaces they had, and the man wearing shades with a weather like this, a woman with very long bangs. Uh. Just what the heck crossed my mind? And what I've said to them... God, I can feel heat rushing to my cheeks just by thinking about it.

I closed my eyes for a second, and carefully thought about it. I sighed, sitting down the swing as I focused my ears on the wrath of the skies. I lightly pushed myself up, and pulled my legs just enough to don't touch the ground. Letting myself be swung back, and forth for a couple of times.

Great, now here is a seventeen year-old woman playing by a swing. Wow. Too matured, Morisette.

I jumped down from the swing that was just about to move back again, standing on my own feet as my brows furrowed in slight annoyance because of my innerself talking to me. I grunted as I stomped on the ground harshly. And had caused a little amount of mud splashed on my pants, jacket, and face.

I slapped my hand to my forehead. Okay, I know this kind of situation. I'm getting too much annoyed. I need to relax. I should always be. Not sure but I think I do have anger issues. I chuckled at the thought, shaking my head. Funny, right? At the age of seventeen I have issues like that. But I'm really not sure about it. I just can feel it. Because the last time I remember I got so damn angry, was when I was a sophomore. Jocks were always on the go to bully me. Even some popular and rich kids. Calling me names, calling me a loser, and more. Well I am a loner. I didn't want people around me, and so I didn't have anyone to back me up. And that time I didn't care about what those bullies are calling me, so I just let them and ignored them. But when a guy named William approached me and started talking to me. They thought I was flirting with him. Then boom, it just happened. They called me a s**t. A s**t for goodness' sake. I wasn't doing anything bad. In fact, I also kept on avoiding that guy. So, how dare they call me that? What I did, I fought them. I have no idea what I had done. All I remember that time was that moment I woke to my senses in the cafeteria. Everything was a mess. Glasses broken, plates, some tables were flipped over, and that under me was the guy who called me a s**t with a broken nose and a swollen eye.

Guess what? Of course I got kicked out, and my mother paid for all the school properties I destroyed.

The strike of the thunder brought me back to reality. I snapped my head up. I realized that it was getting colder, the wind's getting strong.

And then my eyes caught a car, a white car running down the road until it stopped at the front of a bakery. Someone got out, and I struggled forward to see who were inside the car and who was the one who got out. My breathing was becoming ragged. But then, when I saw who they are... they're not Mom and the other two. I thought that was Robin's car.

Something struck me. I almost forgot.

I quickly grabbed my phone inside the pocket of my hoodie. I unlocked it, and at the same time my phone vibrated. A message from mom, and that means there's signal around here. I can now call her, but I opened the message first.

From: Mom

We're already near Juvenyl's new bank. A little bit more then we're back. Take care of yourself, don't go out of the house

Oh. But I'm already out, mother.

Before I even knew it, I just found myself waiting for my mom to pick up her phone. I've been calling her for about three times already and she isn't even answering it. Panic is already rising inside of me. Who wouldn't panic in a situation like this? Her phone was ringing, but-

"Mori!" My eyes widened and I almost jumped in shock. "Mom! Mom, are you guys okay?!" I asked, shouting over the phone. I know she wouldn't hear me clearly if I don't shout, I could hear the terrible wrath of the skies just on the other side of the phone and that convinced me enough to shout.

"I guess so!" With that, I really tried to keep myself calm. But I just can't. My breathing is rushed, my chest beginning to rise up and down rapidly. I closed my eyes, "Mom, mom! Give the phone to Robin!" I shouted. I didn't even realize that my left hand was acting on its own.

"Wh-at?" Her voice broke again, and I bit my bottom lip. The signal, please not now. "Give the phone to Robin!!!" I yelled again, louder than before.

"Seth! What is it!?" Robin.

"Robin! Robin, stop over somewhere first!" I shouted. But I think he didn't hear me. "You hear me? Stop over somewhere and let the typhoon calm down!!!" I yelled at the top of my lungs. There was a long pause, and all I can hear was my ragged breathing, before I heard something. "I don't think-Oh holy s**t!!!"

And then it happened. It f*****g happened. My eyes started welling up in instance and I could barely even speak. My mouth was opening and closing on its own. I put my hand over my mouth as I heard Robin and Russel yell curses, my mom shrieking. Then screeches of tires, crashing, the honks. My hands trembled and my phone fell from my loosened grip. My knees are turning into jelly. My sight was blurred by the amount of tears forming, and falling down my cheeks. I ran my fingers through my hair as I reached for a pole of the swing for support. I couldn't breathe normally, my chest is tightening.

No, no. You have to get there. You have to!

As I tried to move, my legs protested. I wanted to breakdown. This feeling. The feeling of mourning for the death of your loved ones that I feared since my gramma died, is torturing me again. But it's not too late, they're not going to die. Are they? Hell. But I really have to go. I spun around. And there, I saw a taxi just parked in front of the grocery, and a passenger climbing out of it.

I didn't do anything more, I didn't care if mud is being splashed on my clothes. I didn't care even if the rain is pouring down on me, I didn't care if my legs were protesting, and I didn't even care if I couldn't see clearly because of the tears. When I got near to the taxi, I stopped for a bit and wiped my tears with the back of my hand. And then I ran again and crossed the road until I opened the door of the taxi, I swallowed the lump in my throat and tried to steady my breathing. But who the hell could do that if you know that your family just got on an accident? Tell me.

I glanced at the driver and she is unexpectedly a woman, texting someone on her phone. With shaky hands, I tried to find something for support and got in. I closed my eyes again, wiping more tears flowing down my cheeks. I shakily breathed out as I opened my eyes and grabbed for the handle of the door to close it.

But before I could even do it, a black fur ball jumped in the car.

To my surprise, I even moved backwards, my back almost hitting the other door. A small sigh of relief left my mouth, I found my lips twitching into a smile. For a second, I kind of felt happy. But it immediately faded away when the thought of my family getting caught on an accident found its way to my mind again.

I really tried to keep my breathing steady. I really did, but sobs kept leaving my mouth which prevented me to do so. I caressed the furry back of my cat, as it sat and glared me, tilting his head as if saying 'what the heck happened?'

I chose to ignore him as I pressed my lips in a tight line, leaning over to close the door, then went back and rested my elbows on my knees as my other hand rested against my lips, hoping that it could stop the sobs from coming out.

"You know the new bank? In Juvenyl?" I asked the driver in a low hoarse voice.

"Yea'," She replied, chewing a gum. "Just beside D's Supermarket."

I swallowed the sob that wanted to escape my mouth. "Take me there, as quickly as possible."

"But that's like... an hour or what-"

I immediately grabbed my small wallet in my pocket and showed it to her, all my savings are in it. "I have my money and I am willing to give you everything so please! Please, just do. " I pleaded, desperately yelling at the lady.



© 2016 Mikhaela M.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

103 Views
Added on April 24, 2016
Last Updated on April 24, 2016


Author

Mikhaela M.
Mikhaela M.

Philippines



About
I'm an average teenager who prefers to live in another world through her books. more..

Writing
Mistaken Mistaken

A Story by Mikhaela M.