6: Weirdos go by

6: Weirdos go by

A Chapter by Mikhaela M.

After the call ended, I realized that the typhoon got stronger. The power went out, and even though it was eight in the morning, it still felt like nighttime because of the darkness.

I checked my phone, and the signal was still the same. I let out a grunt, and grabbed new clothes suitable for the weather. I managed to change my clothes in such a short time. I didn't have any choice but to wear these: tank top, hoodie and a brown leather jacket over it, jeans. The weather outside was too cold, even in the inside. The tiled floor of my room was freezing, the windows were blurred because of the weather and the temperature outside, the walls were like the ones of a refrigerator. Cold. With a typhoon like this, leaving this house and finding my cat was a must, and I should also call my mother when the signal comes back to make sure they're fine. Again, with the feeling. I just shook my head, trying to ignore that feeling away as I slipped in my leather boots before going outside and closing the door with a loud thud.

I was already on the porch of our house, and I traveled my eyes around. The whole area was a wreck. Trash cans, trash bags, and its contents were all laying on the road, leaves flying everywhere, trees were roughly being swung back and forth by the wind, branches of some trees were broken even. The potted plants of my mother, some were collapsed on the grassy ground. Stocked clay pots at the corner of our lot were all laying on the ground, mostly cracked, but some broken into fragments. I imagined that time last night, it was peaceful, the soft rustles of the trees, the crickets... they were pleasant to the ears.

Unlike today, the loud drops of the rain on the roof, harsh wind, rumbles coming from the dark sky. I looked up, but the thunder struck at the same time, causing a small eek to slip out of my mouth. My whole body tensed up when I heard the thunder, my hairs at the back of my neck stood up.

Just then I realized I was standing here for too long. My neck snapped to the left, and to the right. Thankfully the foldable umbrella was just there, hanging against the light brown painted walls of our house. I immediately went for it, opening the umbrella and started walking down the stairs, and toward the road.

I shielded my face from flying dried leaves all around and rain that was being blown by the harsh wind toward my direction. I winced as some droplets landed on my lips and cheeks. I wiped the drops with the back of my hand. Using this umbrella wasn't that much of a use afterall. Thankfully my whole body was all covered up with these clothes, but my face? Uh, I just wished I had a mask.

I was sure a couple of minutes had passed. Walking, jogging, and passing by houses I didn't know who they belonged to. I also passed by people, who were also walking down the street just like me with an umbrella or a raincoat. I completely ignored them all, although some kept on looking at me and giving me glares or questioning looks, and I knew it was because I kept on snapping my head to the left, and to the other side repeatedly. I was just trying to keep my eyes sharp, well I really had to find Chase. The rumbles coming from the sky didn't even stop, not even for a minute, so there was still this tendency that anytime a thunderstorm can occur again in an hour or whatever. I checked the weather on my phone right before the power went out. And I was certain, the stormy weather was going to last the whole day.

"Chase!" I tried calling out loud when I didn't see people around. "Chase!" I tried again.

And so that was what I kept doing again and again for the next half an hour.

For the millionth time, I called out for Chase as my walking speed slowed down. Well, for a whole half an hour I have been walking non-stop for the sake of my stubborn cat. Who would hesitate to take a rest even just for a minute? But, uh. I won't even be able to rest. The place where I am currently at was the shortcut toward the central park of the city, specifically the main area of the city where shops, groceries, convenience stores, malls and more buildings that are somehow important to the citizens are.

I wiped the droplets on my face with my forearm this time, beads of sweat had also formed around my face, because I'm tired and I'm not used to it. Seriously, I want to sit down and rest for a minute before I continue looking for Chase again. I slowly spun around. The storm kind of calmed down, I admit. But I can't deny the fact that there are still irritating rumbles coming from the dark sky, and a light rainfall.

The shortcut where I'm at? Heck, it was a road, but it isn't that kind of a road made of cement. I'm stepping on soil. I mentally rolled my eyes, well technically, I am stepping on mud. Why did I even go here in the first place? Oh, right. Because Chase doesn't like to be exposed to the public, which meant he surely wouldn't go to a place where people might be around most of the time. And that led me here.

I sighed as I went on again, my eyes looking everywhere, hoping that I would finally see Chase. And from there, he might prevent that feeling inside me that kept on creeping up my spine whenever I remember that my family's away from me, and that the situation is bad. I shook the thought away. Okay, okay. Enough. Enough with the feels I've been... feeling. I let out a sigh, but I stopped on my tracks and froze when my eyes landed on someone. No, wait. Two persons standing in the middle of the muddy road.

I narrowed my eyes at them. They weren't that far from me though, and so I have a clear sight of them. But there's no need for me to restrain from walking, so I just proceeded on walking and just do my purpose of going here. I slowly took each step, I couldn't take my eyes of them. It just feels weird for people using this shortcut, because I was actually the only one who thought that going to this path was a shortcut to the central park, and I never told anyone about this shortcut that I made up.

The distance between me and them got closer. About three meters away. A thunder roared, but surprisingly I didn't jolt or something. I totally ignored it, because I was focusing on the two teenagers. My eyes widened a bit when I noticed that they were soaking wet, and arguing about something when I saw the face of a redhead woman with glasses, in a soaking wet black long sleeves. Just that in the middle of a muddy road, and weather like this. The man she was talking to on the other hand, was wearing the casual clothing of a usual teenage boy, but also soaking wet.

I didn't know what came over me. The next thing I knew, I interrupted their conversation with an "excuse me", and had their eyes staring intently at me. That made me feel flustered, but I hid it behind my emotionless face.

"Yes?" The redhead asked me. "You lost?" The man asked then.

I snapped my head to the man first, then to the woman. Observing their looks, they're both just about my age. Teenagers. The woman had red hair that went down just pass her shoulders, and bangs that covered most of her eyeglasses. Her eyes completely covered under it. The wet long sleeves she was wearing went down to her mid-thighs, the whole layer of clothing sticking to her body and making her curves more visible. And the man, he had this mahogany colored hair with red highlights. His pants and loose indigo shirt also dripping wet. He was just lean.

But one thing caught my eyes, something curvy made of metal was laying on his chest, hanging around his neck with a lace that somehow looked like rubber, or leather. I don't really know but I am certain it isn't something metal or what.

"Miss?" Ms. Redhead took me out of my trance. It made me snap my head to her hidden eyes, but also went down to the curvy pendant about two inches big, dangling down her neck when she leaned, and pulled her top down to her barely covered legs. And so it hit me.

"Oh," I snapped out of it. "I was wondering why a couple are out here with... a weather like this, and the fact that the... both of you are dripping wet." I blurted out, trying my best not to stutter. Well I just didn't know what came over me and talked to complete strangers in an area where you barely even see people around. I mean, they could be drug dealers, suppliers, kidnappers or killers, or thieves that're hiding from the cops-

Okay. I deserve a slap.

The man spoke, "A couple?"

I nodded, hesitating for a second there. "Yes. A couple." I pointed to the matched necklaces they wore around their necks. "Matched necklaces." I mumbled.

The woman was just about to say something, but I made her stop because I couldn't stop the words slipping out of my mouth. "And the both of you are alone, the girl's barely dressed. And your hair, " I then pointed to their hair. "-messy. Which meant the both of you did... something... you know," I shrugged, and forced a smile, awkwardly looking down. "Uhm, gross."

Oh, my god. Why are god-forsaken words coming out of my mouth? Someone, slap me for real.

I saw the surprised expressions plastered on both of their faces. Their mouths are opening and closing, like they are trying to say something but just couldn't get them out of their mouths.

"N-no! It's not what you think." The woman said.

"Yeah, s-she's right." The man backed up. "Actually we are twins over here. Can't you tell by looking at our faces?" He added.

"No." I immediately answered back. Slightly shaking my head, and taking a step back. I didn't want this conversation to get any longer, so I pressed the button that makes the umbrella fold back to its normal form and pushed it to the man's chest, making him grab it.

I then pulled my hand back, and put on my hoodie over my head. I think the storm is going to pour out it's rage on earth again. "It's yours." I told them with a low voice, slipping hands inside the pockets of my leather jacket before turning my back on them.

I huffed. Ugh, I can now feel the heat rushing up to my face. I hate this feeling.

I just walked the path, quickly it is. Not caring if I harshly step on some puddles, and make splashes that dirtied my boots and jeans. All I cared about is that weirdos actually go by this shortcut I just made up when I was fifteen.

I closed my eyes, facing down and shaking my head again as I just walked and walked and walked.

Wait, did I mention that they are both barefooted? And that the guy is wearing shades with a weather like this?

Uh. They're seriously on drugs.



© 2016 Mikhaela M.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

69 Views
Added on April 24, 2016
Last Updated on April 24, 2016


Author

Mikhaela M.
Mikhaela M.

Philippines



About
I'm an average teenager who prefers to live in another world through her books. more..

Writing
Mistaken Mistaken

A Story by Mikhaela M.