Three

Three

A Chapter by Isemay

Brandon wasn’t thrilled but didn’t argue in front of Mr. Germain when she declined to name a price for the reading. Genevieve watched as Remi followed on the bigger man’s heels with the leftovers and waited for Brandon to fuss.


“Was there a reason for not charging anything or…?” He looked at her expectantly.


“That was the man responsible for the nice neighbors coming by.” Answering his next question before he asked it. “And yes if someone else had come in I would have interrupted to go check on them.” Gathering everything from the table as she talked, “It’s been dead this morning, Sage would have been extra pissed if he’d been here.”


“He shouldn’t have made you come in by yourself. He’s being a child about this.” Brandon looked around the store with a frown.


“I feel better about it than I did. Mr. Germain was eager for me to go shopping today, though.”


Coughing and sputtering, Brandon looked at her like she had said something crazy. “Who?”


“Mr. Germain. The big guy that was just here with Remi.”


“Ok, if he comes in you wait on him and ignore anyone else, you have my permission. He owns chunks of the town here. The furniture place where they make the expensive handmade wooden tables and furniture? His. The diner, and the nice row of shops in the downtown? He owns all of that. Plus the little airport outside of town.” 


“And you didn’t know him on sight? I am shocked!” Genevieve leaned back, widening her eyes deliberately. 


“Oh bite me, he’s hardly ever in town, he’s got some huge mansion compound past the airport. If he wants you to go shopping today that’s what you’re going to do.” 


He got on the phone and started calling Sage’s cell. It took three tries and two messages to get a call back, and another hour for him to roll into the shop. In the meantime, Genevieve tried to make sure everything was still in good order and browsed the crystals for a temporary replacement for her necklace. She picked up a black tourmaline bead and Sage’s jewelry making tools and materials, using the silver wire to make a very basic wire wrapped ring.


Putting it on, she looked at Brandon’s smirking face and said, “It’s not as pretty as what he does but it saves me the dirty look I’d get for asking him to make it today. You want to ring me up? Or should I ring you up? I think you have the envelope?” 


He laughed. “I have it, I didn’t want you to lose it in your piles of nothing.” 


Sage didn’t notice the ring when he came in to take over. He waved them out and leaned on the counter.


The first stop was the small appliance store to get a toaster and an electric kettle. After that Brandon dragged her to look at plates and glasses.


“I have two mugs and a stack of paper plates. I’m good, Brandon. I’d rather go find a barstool or a little bistro table in a scratch and dent bin for this kind of money.” The prices were awful and everything he showed her seemed to have flowers or gold rims or be square. All hideous.


“There is a thrift shop over on Washington.” The saleswoman was trying to be snide but Genevieve was headed for the door. 


“Thank you! I’ll try there!”


“Oh my god. I am so sorry, she has no taste.” Brandon was apologizing to the sales woman as she pushed the door open. 


She had the keys out and was ready to get into the car when Remi knocked on the hood. “Do you want to go look at some furniture?”


“I was going to hit the thrift shop on Washington looking for some plates and cups since Brandon insists I need them, and I’ll probably grab furniture there too.” She shrugged, “If I can afford it.”


He grinned, “You didn’t find anything you liked in there?” He nodded back toward the shop.


“No. She has no taste. I should have made her stay home and come shopping without her.” Brandon scowled at her and she could see Remi biting his tongue.


“You want to come with? It might be nice to have someone who won’t automatically hate everything I pick up for the rest of the day along.” Genevieve gave Remi a half smile.


“I have my truck, I’ll follow you.” He gave a nod and a sharp look at Brandon.


“Sounds good.” She opened the car door, and as he was walking toward a work truck she quietly said, “Thanks.”


He turned and gave her a grin, almost glowing, as she got into her car.


At the thrift shop she found clear, green, vintage glass plates. Brandon hated them. Remi thought they were ok. Genevieve thought they were beautiful and got all seven dinner plates they had and the five small ones. The set of six clear blue bowls and eight clear pink glasses that almost matched each other also got snatched up while Brandon went outside in disgust.


She scored a cast iron skillet that didn’t seem to need too much TLC and an old school percolator. When she looked over the beaten up glass topped coffee table Remi hemmed and hawed. Genevieve decided to leave it there, coming back was always an option. 


Remi helped carry her things out to the car while Brandon sulked on the hood. “They gave me some boxes for free.” She grinned at him. 


“I hate you. I hate you so much.” Brandon put his face in his hands. “Why do you hate nice things?”


“We just have different definitions of nice.” Genevieve shook her head trying to shove her box in the back with the clothes and the appliances. 


“I can put these in my truck if you don’t have space. I’d like to take you by where I work and help you see if you like anything.” Remi looked almost nervous. “I mean, if you wanted a table or anything.”


“Do you have a scratch and dent bin? I don’t know if I can afford-”


“I have a discount.” He hurriedly assured her.


“If you can get her to pick out anything that you aren’t planning to throw away I will chip in to get it.” Brandon sighed.


Remi shifted his grip on the box. “You’ll follow me?”


“Yeah, I can do that.”


Brandon glared at the box Remi was holding and hissed at him to throw it out of the truck while he drove. 


In the car, she took off the ring and passed it to him. “I don’t know what is eating you but you need this more than I do. Seriously.”


He took it and looked at it before putting it on. “I’m sorry I’m being such an a*s today. It’s just, between the incident and Sage and not enough business…”


“You want one thing you can control and I’m not cooperating.” 


He gaped at her but the incredulous look turned to something bordering on horror. “I am so sorry.”


“It’s ok, I’m not mad. I am starting to get a little annoyed…” Genevieve gave him a smile and pushed his shoulder.


“Vivi, you are too sweet. You let people get away with too much s**t.” He pointed at where Remi was waiting at the edge of the parking lot. “I think we’re holding him up.”


At the furniture store, Mr. Germain was coming out as they were pulling in. He greeted her with a warm smile. “I was hoping you’d come this way before I left. What have you managed to get so far?”


“I got some awesome plates and glasses from the thrift shop, a cast iron skillet, and a percolator.” She gave a glance and a smile to Remi, “I almost got a coffee table but somebody seemed morally opposed to it.”


Remi gave a chagrined smile, “It was beat to hell and held together with glue.”


“It had character and a pretty glass top.” She teased him.


“She likes glass, colored glass.” Remi shook his head and sighed to Mr. Germain. 


“Vivi used to make stained glass art. I tried to tell her she should get back into it but…” Brandon smiled wryly. “She made some really lovely things.”


“You stopped making it?” Mr. Germain looked at her curiously. “That’s something that would probably sell.”


“It didn’t.” Genevieve shrugged. “And um, my tools got stolen so I stopped.” She looked away and chewed on her upper lip.


“I can get tools if you want to work part time here. Stained glass is something I like.” He put an arm around her and guided her into the store. It was difficult not to flinch away and he seemed to pick up on her discomfort immediately, lifting his hand off of her and holding it a few inches back. 


“Being touched isn’t…” She murmured.


“I understand.” He replied in a hushed tone. More loudly he called Remi up next to them, “Remi, why don’t you show her some of the things you’ve worked on. You can find out what she needs and we can work out something to get her more comfortable.” 


“Glad to, Mr. Germain.” Remi smiled at her and nodded toward some of the large wooden tables, leading her that way. “I usually make tables, I’ve done some stained glass and stainless steel inlays but we don’t have any of those out right now, they sold almost immediately.”


“Who did your stained glass?” Genevieve smiled, if they had someone already, doing it part time would be nice.


“We ordered it online.”


“Ah.”


“We do everything else ourselves, it would be nice to be able to do that too.” His look was hopeful. “You talked to Brandon in the car? He seems less angry with you.”


“I did. I gave him my ring. Black tourmaline helps. He’s having a rough time and he was really focused on making my house his kind of pretty. I wasn’t cooperating and it upset him. He apologized and he’s trying to not be an a*s.” She sighed. “You haven’t gotten to see him at his best. Brandon is a really good friend, he’s always there when I need a place to land. Always trying to keep me from getting back into trouble.”


“I’m not trouble.” Remi touched her arm lightly. “I will never harm you.”


“It’s difficult for me. But if I thought you were trouble I wouldn’t have asked you to come with us to the thrift shop.” Genevieve gave him a tentative smile. “And if Brandon really thought you were trouble he would have had a fit about you coming.”


Remi stepped closer and reached up to brush a stray hair away from her face. “I’m glad to hear that.”


“Does she like any of the tables?” Brandon and Mr. Germain came their way.


“She thinks they're lovely, but she has a tiny house and a big table isn’t really ideal.” She turned and smiled wryly answering the question.


Mr. Germain’s wolfish grin almost made her laugh. “Remi can make something that will work. What else do you need?”


“Need is a strong word.”


He narrowed his eyes at her slightly. “Mr. Boyd said you were being difficult.”


“Ms. Geary is borrowing her landlady’s recliner. The only piece of furniture she owns is her bed. A plain metal frame with the mattress and box spring on it. She needs everything else. If you let her waffle about it she’ll end up with a thrift store coffee table and used bean bag chairs.”


“That was a great place I had! You loved my bean bag chairs!”


“We were seventeen and thought that ramen was a meal. You are ten years older and you’re going to live like it if I have to decorate your house myself.” Brandon shooed her. “Go find somewhere to sit while the adults look at the furniture. You got to pick out your awful plates, you’ve had a big day.” His biting, condescending tone was clearly intended to make her step up and pick something. 


“You are such an a*s. Fine. I could probably use a couple of things.” She crossed her arms and glared at him.


“Like pulling teeth. I swear to god.” Brandon pinched the bridge of his nose.


“Sofa, coffee table, dresser, and headboard.” Mr. Germain listed off the four things, “And I’ll let Remi make the table and chairs to go with it so that they’ll fit the space.” He nodded at Remi, “Make her get something nice.”


“Let’s go look.” Remi grinned at her. “I have some suggestions for the coffee table.” 


She was ready to argue over the table until he showed her the art nouveau style piece he thought she would like. Heavy dark wood, almost three feet long, an oval top with marquetry wisteria. “Wow. That’s-that’s stunning. I love the style of it. The way the base is made so gorgeously wavy like that. And the wisteria...” She knelt to look at it, afraid to actually touch it.


“One down.” He sounded very pleased with himself.


“That’s worth more than the house you’re talking about putting it in.” Genevieve stared at him. “I can’t put a bowl of popcorn on that. Have you lost your mind?”


Remi looked like his face might split with his wide grin. “I made that. It’s flawed but if you don’t know where to look you don’t notice it. That’s why it’s never been sold.” He reached out and took her hand pulling her up and forward. “I think there’s a sofa that will go with it.”


“You-you made that?” She let him drag her over to the sofas.


“We actually make these, too. You probably want something comfortable you can lounge on with popcorn?” He was still grinning. 


The velvety tan sofa he showed her was probably the most comfortable thing she’d sat on. He was chatting away about chaise sofas as he stretched his legs down the long side. Seeming to notice she’d been silent, Remi turned to look at her. 


“Sold.” Genevieve shrugged, narrowing her eyes at him. “You really made that table?”


Yes. I’ll make the dining table like that too if you want me to.”


“How long have you been woodworking? That takes serious skill.” She glanced at his hands, a skill like that was beyond sexy.


“Long enough.” He was beaming. Remi blinked and inhaled, leaning toward her. “That’s something you find very attractive.”


Genevieve had to laugh, reaching out and almost touching him for a moment. “Yeah, that’s definitely true. Guys who work with their hands are...” He was almost close enough to kiss and the thought was suddenly strangely appealing.


“Vivi!” Brandon called from across the store. 


Almost leaping up, she pointed and headed that way.


“Vivi!” Brandon was looking at a matching headboard and dresser, “These are gorgeous.”


They were very sharp, almost minimalist pieces. Not her taste. “Um. Not really my style, they are nice though.”


“You don’t have a style. These would be perfect.”


“She does.” Remi was seething behind her, she could feel it. “She likes art nouveau. I don’t know if we have anything that would be perfect right now but I can make something.”


“What about deco?” Mr. Germain asked thoughtfully. 


“It depends on the design. Nouveau feels lighter to me somehow, it’s prettier. Deco has sharp edges, I’m not fond of that. There are some designs that seem like they can go either way. Some of the arches.”


“You liked Remi’s table?” He gave Remi an approving smile.


“That table has to be worth more than the house I’m renting. It’s gorgeous.” 


“Wait, you actually like art nouveau?” Brandon was looking at her as if she’d been replaced by a pod person. “That’s almost frilly compared to the way you dress. And I would swear the last time I heard you lamenting the fact you weren’t allowed to put up your own stuff at home it was a band poster you wanted to hang.”


“It was an awesome poster! And I got it signed.” Genevieve sighed and shook her head. “Not that it matters. I’m pretty sure the a*****e threw it in the trash.”


“The a*****e?” Remi touched her arm from behind and she twitched before she could stop herself.


“You really don’t want to meet him.” Brandon looked at her reproachfully. “Controlling, bad tempered, built like a truck, and he had a knife fetish. You would think she had a death wish.”


“Nate wasn’t bad at first.” She shook her head. “I met him at a self-defense class and he went out of his way to try and make me feel like I was… safe. And then…”


“And then?” Remi asked quietly.


“Then he started making sure I knew that being safe meant doing what he said when he said it. And wearing what he said, and eating what he said.” Chewing on her top lip, she hadn’t realized she was digging her nails into her arms.


“Hey, I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have brought it up.” Brandon pulled her hands away from her arms and hugged her. “Do you need the ring back?”


“Please.” Putting on her finger was like a relief. “I’ll make another one for you at work.”


“You make jewelry?” Remi came around her side to look at the ring, lifting her hand.


“Not well. I just needed something to help settle me.”


“If she worked at it she’d be as good as Sage, even he’s said so. One of the reasons I hired her is her ability to match people and crystals. If we could get people in to be matched and then buy jewelry we’d do a lot better.”


The two of them standing so close was starting to make her antsy. She felt hemmed in. As she pulled her hand gently away from Remi, Brandon tsked. “So, art nouveau. Show me the coffee table.”


The annoyance radiated off of Remi as he gestured toward where it was still sitting. His crossed arms and stance said loudly that he was waiting for Brandon to make a snide remark about it.


“I am blown away, Vivi. It’s not that you don’t have taste, it's that it’s so expensive you settle for crap.”


“Thaaanks. How long have you known me?” 


He looked up and wrinkled his nose at her. “Too long. You’re the only person I’ve ever met who goes to a thrift shop and doesn’t upcycle anything.”


“I like the colored glass. I’m not big on flowerdy plates or weird square ones or ones you have to be careful not to scrub the gold off of. And plain is just too plain.”


“At least you didn’t pick up any carnival glass.” He shuddered.


“They didn’t have any. I love carnival glass.” 


The look he gave her could have taken paint off of the wall. Genevieve laughed. 


“Poor man’s tiffany. If you’re going to be garish at least do it with a little bit of class.”


“You are such a snob. Beauty is beauty, class has nothing to do with it.” 


“True.” Mr. Germain sounded amused. “I’ll have the table and sofa sent over. You may want to stock up on drinks on the way home.”


“Oh that’s right, you’re going to have guests today.” Brandon winced. “Let’s go get my car, I'll help drive drinks over.”


“I can put them in the back of my truck.” Remi offered, reaching out to brush his hand down her arm tentatively. “I have some of your dishes so I have to head that way.”


“Ok, you can help with what kind of drinks too, if you don’t mind. Soda? Beer? Both?” 


He grinned. “Pop works. Beer is good. Both is better.”


“Where have you moved me to?” Genevieve feigned horror at Brandon, before chiding Remi, “Pop! It’s soda.”


“Not here it isn’t.” 


“If you can’t call it soda you’re getting beer.” Genevieve grinned and crossed her arms. 


“If you can’t call it pop you can’t have any either.” Remi stepped closer returning her grin.


“Pick up some Coke for me,” Mr. Germain said, shaking his head. He started toward the doors and Genevieve could feel his amusement tinged with sadness and a little jealousy. 


“Coke, I can do.” 


Brandon directed her to a store on the way to her house that would have cases of drinks. A 24 pack of Coke and one of Pepsi, and a 12 pack of RC. She asked Remi about beer and let him pick out a couple of cases. Brandon suggested some bags of ice and Genevieve snagged two laundry baskets without slits in the sides to put the ice and drinks in.


“You’re going to serve drinks out of laundry baskets?” Brandon looked at her like she was nuts.


“Why not? After the drinks are gone I can rinse them out and have two more baskets for laundry. That’s just being economical.” 


“You’re supposed to try to escape your trash roots, Vivi not embrace them.”


The growl that came from Remi made Brandon turn in shock. 


She tried to diffuse the situation. “He doesn’t know you like I know you.” Putting a hand on Brandon’s arm. “He means well Remi.”


“Calling you trash isn’t acceptable.”


“He wants me to try for better, to him that means material things, beautiful useless things. It’s a different way of viewing the world. He thinks I deserve better than I reach for, better than I accept. I understand what he meant, the words don’t bother me.” The dubious look on Remi’s face made her smile. “I appreciate that you want to step in and protect me from someone you think is putting me down. He’ll consider his words more carefully. For about five minutes.” She gave Brandon a wry smile. “I’m used to it.”


“Ouch. If you took less s**t from me I might be a less s****y friend.”


“I’ll get on that.” She rubbed her face feeling exhausted. There would still be people coming by the house. “Let’s go get things shoved in the house before people come by.”


“If you need a nap to recharge I can get things put away.” Brandon offered. “I can even get things set up for a party outside.”


“Thanks, I would really appreciate it. I really need to have a few minutes alone.”


“Go home, I’ll ride with Remi.” He waved her on while Remi looked at him sceptically. 


She could hear him starting to explain as she left them with the baskets, “She gets worn out dealing with people. If she doesn’t rest she’ll just start to turn off, it’s creepy.”



© 2021 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

18 Views
Added on January 8, 2021
Last Updated on January 8, 2021
Tags: witches, werewolves, drama, romance, supernatural


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay