Seventeen

Seventeen

A Chapter by Isemay

Genevieve was riding the shadow wolf and brandishing the Page’s silver sword at something when she was startled partially awake. Remiel was climbing stiffly into bed. 


“Hey, m’ angel.” She rolled over and snuggled against him.


“You slur when you’re half asleep.” He teased pulling her close.


She yawned, trying to burrow into his warm, comfortable side. “Mm. Irksome.” 


“I love you too.” His grin could be heard in his voice.


Her pillow was trying to escape when she woke up in the morning. Whining at it didn’t seem to be helping so she opened up her eyes to see Remiel trying to get out of bed without laughing. 


“Now that you’re awake you can let me up, you sound so pitiful when you whine.” He grinned at her.


“You’re not nice in the morning.” Her annoyed mutter was met with laughter.


“You only say that because you like to use me as a pillow. I need to get up and get to work, my sleepy mate.”


“If you’re getting up I’m getting up.” Genevieve rubbed her eyes and yawned. 


“It’s early. You can sleep longer. You should sleep longer. Someone will come and get you for breakfast.”


It didn’t sound like a bad idea. Aside from a faint feeling of guilt, there was one flaw that jumped out almost immediately, “Umm, clothes? Or do I get to get up and paw through the drawers today?” 


“I’ll put your clothes on the bed.” He laughed softly. Staying awake until he did was a little difficult, but she was glad he seemed to know she wanted a kiss before he left. “See you for lunch, my loving mate.”


The next time she woke up there was the smell of smoke in her nose and someone was knocking on the door. “Hmm? Yes?”


“Are you ready to get up for breakfast?” An unfamiliar voice called into the room.


“Sure. Let me get up and get ready.” Sticking her legs out of the covers she gingerly sat up to see the big guy she’d first talked to at the shop standing in the doorway. “It would be nice if you could give me some privacy to get dressed.”


He looked amused but stepped back and closed the door.


Picking up the clothes she pulled them on before glancing in the mirror, her hair was a greasy mess and she needed to pee. As she was debating whether she could rifle through Remiel’s drawers looking for a bandana or something before she ended up needing new pants, the door opened again. 


“Hey, I really need to pee but do you think Remiel would have a bandana or something? My hair is awful.”


“I can get one.” He picked her up and moved quickly to the bathroom, “I don’t think I’ve ever seen Remi with one. But I haven’t been with this pack for long. I was sent from the Latro pack to help Alpha Germain track down his mate a year ago.”


“She’s close, someone he knows is going to bring her to him or introduce him. There’ll be money involved. She’s a businesswoman.” Genevieve repeated what she’d told the Alpha.


The man snorted. “You seemed to think I was the devil when we met, you’ll have to forgive me if I don’t put much stock in what you’re saying.”


“I wasn’t reading for you, I was reading for me. The card was The Devil, it meant I needed to be cautious. It’s a warning. I may not know an awful lot about werewolves but I knew that’s what you were.” She shook her head. “And you don’t have to put any stock in what I’m saying. I can’t explain it or even understand it, I believe it, though. It feels true.”


She went into the bathroom and did the things she needed to do, washing up afterward and frowning into the mirror. A shower was what she needed. When Remiel came back later she’d see if he was up for one before bed. Coming back out, she realized she must have taken too long. The guy was no longer there. 


Breakfast would be… In the dining room? Genevieve was pretty sure she could find it, the thought of actually getting to walk was very appealing. Starting out, she came by the living area where she’d spent the day before. Rob was sitting there with a laptop and a large box.


“Hey, Rob!” At her greeting he looked up with a smile.


“You’re walking?”


“I think I took too long in the bathroom, the big guy who never gave me his name seems to have wandered off. I’m trying to figure out where to get breakfast and maybe a bandana to hide my horrible hair but I think I need to sit down for a minute.”


“I’ll get you some breakfast. Um, can I call you Gen?”


“You can boil Genevieve down to anything but Ginny as far as I’m concerned.” She smiled, settling onto the sofa. 


“What else would it ‘boil down to’?” He asked curiously.


“My friend Brandon calls me Vivi. I’ve been called Nev, Nevie, Neevie, Genna, Evie, G, V, Genie…”


He laughed and shook his head. “What did your mom call you?”


She made a face, “Ginny. It’s why I hate the name.”


“I bet you pissed your mother off by wandering away too.” A voice spoke sharply behind her.


“No, she liked it when I wasn’t underfoot. I once slept in a neighbor’s treehouse for three nights and she never even noticed I was gone.” Genevieve turned on the sofa, trying not to twist. “I thought you wandered off because I took too long. I can’t hear anyone here anymore. Not unless they speak out loud.”


He held out a plain grey bandana. “You wanted a bandana, I got you one of mine.”


“Thanks.” She winced as she twisted to take it. “You know, you never introduced yourself.”


“You didn’t either.” His tone was pointed.


“Genevieve this is, um, Dylan.” Rob offered in a diplomatic tone.


“I can introduce myself, little bird.” 


“Little bird?” She tied the bandana over her hair.


“Robin.” Dylan gestured to Rob.


“Robin doesn’t mean little bird, it’s the diminutive of Robert. Bright fame.”


“Bright fame.” Rob sounded pleased. “I, um, didn’t know that.”


“I like names.” 


“So I’ve heard. I don’t have all day, let me get you to breakfast.”


“I’ll get her breakfast. Gen can…” Rob swallowed and looked down as Dylan rounded the sofa.


“If Rob wants to get me breakfast I’ll stay here. You don’t have to worry about me taking up any more of your time.” She gave him a rueful smile. “Thanks for the lend.”


He frowned and then shrugged, walking away.


“We have guests today. Dylan’s Alphas and some of his pack.” Rob spoke quietly.


“I remember something about that. Do you mind if I lay down, I twisted a second ago and my side is complaining about it.”


“Oh! N-no go ahead. Um, I’ll get your breakfast.” Rob almost bolted from his seat.


Genevieve settled onto the sofa, muttering to herself, “It was nice to get to walk when he left but I think maybe I’m a little more tired than I thought.” Closing her eyes, she tried to breathe evenly until her side ached less.


“How badly are you hurting?” The quiet question startled her. Dylan was frowning down at her with a strange woman she couldn’t remember meeting. 


“Not too bad, it’s just kind of achy.”


“I was warned you dismiss your pain.” The woman seemed annoyed. Picking up Genevieve’s hand she pressed hard on one of her fingernails and released it. “A little slow, and your hand is cold.” Genevieve tried to pull her hand back and got a sharp look that could have rivalled Alpha Germain’s. “Any dizziness this morning and how dark was your urine?” The woman’s fingers were resting on her wrist as if taking her pulse.


“Uh, no dizziness. And my urine’s been pretty dark since I’ve been on limited fluids.”


“Looking at you I’m sure they’ve been too limited.” She sighed and looked to Dylan expectantly, “I haven’t been to the infirmary yet, find out if they have saline drips and what they have for pain relief. After that, ask Alpha Germain if I can put her in the infirmary where she apparently needs to be.”


“I don’t need to be-” Genevieve stopped and tried to sink into the sofa at the withering look the woman turned on her. Running was out of the question but the minute they stepped away she could walk as quickly as she could back to her room and try to find a way to block the door.


“Um, Alpha-Alpha Latro?” Rob put a plate down on the table and stepped back. “Remi wants you to know you’re making her nervous. She can’t, um, she can’t feel you to know you don’t mean her harm. He says she’s going to try to run away from you if you keep looking at her that way.”


Dylan snorted. “She wouldn’t get far.”


“No, but she’d hurt herself. Go on, I’ll stay while she sits up to eat.” Alpha Latro looked at the plate of bacon and sausage with pancakes, and no cup with it, and then back to Rob. “You didn’t bring her anything to drink?”


Rob and Dylan both set off on their errands at speed and the Alpha sat on the couch across from her. Genevieve watched her carefully, staying down.


“I’m not going to hurt you. I could probably brush up on my bedside manner.” With a smile she continued, “I’m Elizabeth Latro, I used to be a doctor. I suppose I still am but…” Elizabeth shrugged and leaned back crossing her legs.


After a moment Genevieve carefully came up to sitting, “I’m Genevieve Geary.”


“I know, and you’re a noncompliant patient. It bothers me, just a little.” Elizabeth smiled.


“I don’t mean to be, it just doesn’t seem like such a big deal.”


“A bruised kidney is a pretty big deal for someone who doesn’t heal like we do. You’re acting like you’ve had worse.”


Genevieve reached for the plate wincing at the stretch, “I have. A lot worse actually.”


“Sit up! If it hurts don’t do it. Pain is your body telling you to stop.” Elizabeth was frowning at her again. She stood and picked up the plate bringing it over and sitting next to Genevieve. “How much worse?”


Looking at the food and not touching it, Genevieve tried not to move away from the woman. Picking which ‘worse’ to talk about was the hardest part. “Within an inch of my life worse. I had a TBI that took away my sense of smell.” 


Elizabeth got up and moved back over to the other sofa and Genevieve relaxed. “Anything else with the TBI?”


“Fractured ribs, bruised liver, partially collapsed lung. Or were you asking about the personality change Brandon said I had?” Genevieve fidgeted, suddenly very much not hungry. Remembering was not pleasant.


“Luna… small wonder this doesn’t seem like ‘such a big deal’. You have to try to remember that it is, though.” Alpha Latro leaned forward. “Try to eat.”


The sound of loud, pleasant conversation came from down the hall. A group of people, including Alpha Germain, were walking with Rob carrying plates, pitchers, and cups.


“You were supposed to join us for breakfast Ms. Geary. Not the other way around.” Alpha Germain gave her a stern look and she bit her top lip, bringing her knees to her chest as she sat on the sofa. He snapped his fingers. “Stop that.”


“She’s been fussed at enough, apparently she was ready to try to run away from me.” Elizabeth gave her a concerned look. “Why is she so nervous?”


“Remi says you were talking about something that made her nervous. And she does tend to be sensitive to other people’s displeasure. The first time I met her she tried to back through a wall when I gave her a stern look.” Alpha Germain frowned and set the thermos pitcher on the table coming to sit next to her. “She’s a sweet girl, too timid, but I’m given to understand it’s not uncommon in her situation.”


Sitting next to him as everyone put their things on the tables and found seats, Genevieve began to relax. Rob came to sit on the other side of her and she put her feet down. Being hemmed in would usually make her feel trapped but with these two men she felt safe.


“Maybe you could talk with her after breakfast, Rick?” Elizabeth looked to one of the men who was sitting with a delicate featured blue-eyed woman. 


“I can Madam Alpha.” The one she called Rick looked a lot like Rob. Rick’s hair was a little blonder and his eyes were a different shade but the shape of the eyes and the curve of the mouth were very much the same.


“I didn’t expect a witch to be timid, I guess I’m used to dealing with older witches.” The man who’d sat next to Elizabeth smiled and picked up a plate.


“Our Genevieve is barely a witch. What she knows she picked up from normal people.” He shook his head with a wry smile, “She doesn’t know potions and I’ve never seen her try a spell, she uses crystals and tarot cards.”


Scooting forward on the seat, she wrapped some sausage in a pancake and sat back again.


The blue-eyed woman looked curious, “Did you know you were a witch?”


Swallowing a bite, Genevieve tilted her head back and forth, “I knew I was different. I didn’t learn that witches were an actual thing until I was, I think, fifteen. Brandon’s mom was big into New Age stuff and she took us around to a lot of places. This witch just came up to me at a, uh, psychic fair and started talking to me like I should know things.”


“I bet you’re a hit at those.” Dylan said dryly.


“I’ve never participated in one. Hearing people when I don’t want to is one thing, I’m used to that, getting these feelings about things that are going to happen and things that need to be done that’s pretty new to me. I’m not even that experienced with the Tarot deck. I learned that from Brandon and he’s much better at it than I am.” Genevieve took another bite.


“Where did you learn the crystals?” Rob poured a cup of coffee and put it in her free hand.


“Thanks, Rob.” She gave him a smile. “I started learning crystals from Brandon’s mom and then from pretty much any other source I could find. Learning how to make my bedroom quiet was life changing.”


“How do you mean?” The man next to Elizabeth asked with interest.


“I was angry and squirrely from hearing people all the time. Having a quiet place to retreat to was like having pain that had always been there just stop. It let me start trying to find some kind of balance and gave me hope for a sense of control over my life.”


“What did your mom think of the change?” Rick was smiling but she couldn’t bring herself to return it.


“She never saw it. The court said I didn’t have to speak to her anymore when I was fourteen. That was one of the best days of my life.” Genevieve took a long pull of the hot coffee, it burned her mouth slightly but it distracted her from the aching in her side for a moment.


“You made it sound like she was neglectful, was she really bad enough to-” She heard fingers snap, but she didn’t look up from the interior of the coffee cup.


“Gen?” Rob asked tentatively.


Taking a breath she gathered her wits and pulled herself away from the pit of memories. “What do normal people talk about over breakfast?”


“What do you usually talk about over breakfast?” Rick asked innocently.


She looked up to see if he was talking to her and he tilted his head. “Who are you asking? Because I am the least normal person sitting here.” Her words drew smiles and snorts.


“I don’t think she had breakfast before she came here.” Alpha Germain sounded like he might be teasing her.


“Oreos and instant coffee, breakfast of champions. Except when I crashed on Sage’s couch, he has menthols and coffee in silence.” Genevieve smiled as she took another drink, enjoying coffee strong enough for her to get a little taste of it.


“That’s not healthy at all. Even I ate better than that.” Elizabeth looked at her with a concerned frown.


“They keep giving me vegetables and meat, and I’m pretty sure this coffee actually came from beans.” She glanced at Alpha Germain with a smile, “Remiel said you threw out my instant?”


The Alpha grimaced, “You bought a percolator, I was encouraging you to use it.”


“I never got around to it. It’s a shame.”


“You can’t tell from the taste?” He smiled at her.


“No, I can’t taste much of anything unless it’s got a really strong flavor. That’s the problem with not having a sense of smell. I like a percolator-”


“For the sound!” Rob interjected almost excitedly.


“Exactly!” She turned her head to grin at him. “It’s probably weird but it sounds like coffee.”


“No! I get it!” He was grinning. 


“I like percolator coffee, french press is good too.” Alpha Germain sipped his own cup and nodded.


“Brandon swears by his french press, he argues with me about it. He argued with Remiel about it.” She shook her head grinning.


“Remi doesn’t drink coffee.” Alpha Germain was grinning.


“I understood that he hadn’t had percolator coffee before but he was defending my right to drink it if that's what I wanted. You might have noticed Brandon can be a little overbearing sometimes.” She laughed at the look of mock surprise on the Alpha’s face. “Remiel found that, ahh, off putting. That’s the polite way to phrase it.”


“He is off putting, but he seems reliable.” Alpha Germain nodded.


“For the big stuff absolutely. He has a really good heart, but he’ll flake on little things. He’s one of those people, if it’s not important why bother.”


“Is that why you thought Dylan wandered off?” He frowned slightly. “You’re still expecting our pack to be unreliable.”


“Expecting people to be reliable all the time is kind of like expecting Santa to actually show up. It’s weird and unrealistic. I assumed he wandered off because I took too long, because why wouldn’t he?”


“I had to get used to that too. I was used to thinking if you want it done-” Elizabeth paused slightly, “Do it yourself.” The two of them finished the sentence together and Elizabeth gave her a smile. “Exactly. But in a pack it isn’t like that. It’ll get easier, I promise.”


“Remiel has said I can be a little impatient.”


“No, he’s said you can be damned impatient,” Alpha Germain corrected her dryly.


“That too.” Genevieve had to laugh.


Elizabeth shook her head with a smile and then seemed to put on a more serious face. “I’d really like for you to eat some more, and drink some of that pineapple juice before you go with me to the infirmary.” 


Genevieve blinked at her for a moment trying to find a way to decline being put into what amounted to an oubliette. Staying here was much better.


“It’s an infirmary not an oubliette. You’re going to go there and be looked over thoroughly. If you listen well enough you can come back up.” Alpha Germain spoke firmly, his expression said he did not intend to hear any arguments.


“Yes, Alpha Germain.” She inclined her head. Walking in front of a bus would be better than arguing with him, going to the infirmary wouldn’t be nice but at least he said she didn’t have to stay there.


“She should probably stay in the infirmary, she should be on strict bed rest and she’s not been getting that.”


“She’s going to do better. Besides she has a job to do and I think she’s more comfortable here.” He smiled as if he were needling the woman.


“She shouldn’t be doing anything but resting.” Elizabeth frowned and narrowed her eyes.


“Uh, Elizabeth? I would lose my s**t if you tried to make me sit and stare at the ceiling for a few days. I have to have something to do.”


“Madam Alpha.” Dylan snapped and Genevieve tensed without thinking. 


“She introduced herself as Elizabeth Latro…”


“I did. Somehow I didn’t quite expect to be called by name. That’s my fault.”


“Maybe Dr. Latro would be better?” The blue-eyed woman suggested carefully.


“That would actually be a nice change.” Elizabeth smiled.


“I can do that. Dr. Latro, doing absolutely nothing is probably the fourth level of my own personal hell. I was actually pretty happy that Dylan wandered off earlier because that let me walk from the bathroom to here. And that walk was more strenuous than my job.”


Dr. Latro narrowed her eyes and frowned, making Genevieve want to try to hide behind Alpha Germain. She tried to sink back into the sofa leaning toward his arm. The Alpha began to laugh, putting his arm across her.


“Stop intimidating my witch, Alpha Latro, or I’ll let her go hide in her room.”


The man next to the doctor grinned wolfishly, “She’s not trying to intimidate your witch, she’s trying to frown her patient into line.”


“Are you going to behave, Ms. Geary?” Alpha Germain was grinning broadly, clearly enjoying himself.


“Absolutely, sir.”


“Good girl.” He clapped her thigh encouragingly. “Clean your plate and drink your juice. I’m going to take my guests walking for a few minutes.” 


They rose from their seats chatting cheerfully to follow Alpha Germain down the hall, leaving the dishes on the table. Rob seemed like he intended to stay behind with her, but he was summoned along with them. Looking at the plate Rob had filled Genevieve wasn’t sure how she was actually going to eat all of that. Sipping on the pineapple juice she barely managed it.


Laying down afterward she felt a little ill, sitting up a little longer wouldn’t hurt. She eyed the computer and box that Rob had left wiping her hands on her shirt before touching anything. The computer was on and she pulled up her youtube account for a playlist. Opening the box made her grin. The things she’d asked for for the bracelet. How they’d gotten them all so quickly was impressive.


Genevieve propped herself up on pillows and started looking through everything laying out what she needed on the table and in her mind. They’d even gotten tool kits that rivalled Sage’s. Before she actually took anything out of the bags she wanted to wash her hands properly, she was itching to get started. It was like she could see the finished bracelet and the steps on how to get there.


The music stopped and she looked up startled. 


“What are you doing? And what are you listening to?” Dr. Latro was looking at her as if she were doing something strange.


“Getting things laid out to work with, and I had my Soul like Coffee playlist on. Why?”


“You have awful taste in music. But if jewelry making is your job that should be sedentary enough if you only work for short stretches and take long breaks.”


She opened her mouth to argue about the music and then snapped it closed remembering she was supposed to behave. 


“Let’s go down to the infirmary so you can come back and get to work. Are you always so focused?” The doctor smiled and Dylan stepped over to scoop her up.


“I’ve been told it’s a bad habit, Remiel was more amused by it than annoyed though.” Looking back at everything on the table she felt anxious about leaving it all out. “Can I pack it back up first? I hate leaving things out, things get lost.”


“I’ll, um, pack it back up.” Rob looked a little disappointed somehow.


“I opened up my youtube account if you want to check out my playlists. You may want to stay away from ‘For my Brain’ it’s so eclectic it bothers people.”


Rob’s disappointment melted and he nodded with a wide smile. 


“Your mate doesn't mind you spending time with another male?” The doctor asked with a very deliberate casualness.


“If he does he hasn't mentioned it. I don't know why he would though. I've never felt like this for anyone else and there's no way I could ever want anyone else.” The thought of Remiel having a reason to be jealous was laughable. He was beautiful and everything she had ever needed, everything she would ever need.


“The smell usually bothers them.” She said carefully.


“I've been getting carried around like a sack of potatoes…”


“And it smells like he hasn't let you shower?”


Genevieve let out a chagrined laugh,“I was going to talk to him about that today. I'm looking kind of gross.”


“He’s been rubbing on you a lot, that some of it smells worried concerns me.”


“You can tell that?” The thought was fascinating and terrifying… and familiar. “Can you tune it out? Or are you just always getting bombarded with information you don’t want?”


“You learn to focus on some smells, filter them.” Dylan offered. 


“But the rest is always there trying to push in?” Looking up she studied his face, his blue eyes were serious.


He answered cautiously, “You could look at it that way. But it’s worse when something smells like nothing. It’s wrong.” 


“I like the quiet, I need the quiet.” She sighed and watched the wall passing by. “But the quiet here isn’t really right. It’s, um… I’m a little glad I don’t have to hear everyone shouting what they think. But it’s not comfortable knowing they’re shouting and I just have my ears plugged.” Genevieve tried to adjust herself in Dylan’s grip. “I don’t know if that makes any sense…”


“It does actually.” Dr. Latro looked pensive. “If you’re not comfortable that might also account for some of the rubbing.”


“I do like it when he rubs on me, it’s weird how nice that feels.” Remembering the way he rubbed on her that had gotten them into some trouble made her blush slightly.


“Dylan why don’t you let me carry her? If Remi is anything like Joel he’ll want to take your head off if you get that smell on you.” The doctor sounded dryly amused.


“What smell?” Genevieve asked curiously.


“Arousal.” Dylan looked like he was trying not to laugh. “Madam Alpha, I think I’ll go get a shower, you’d think Remi’s at a disadvantage with that eye but it doesn’t slow him at all. He’s one of the more solid fighters that Alpha Germain has. He’s been thinking about letting him move up in rank.”


Genevieve could feel her face turning red as Dylan spoke. She knew Remiel could smell it easily, it somehow hadn’t occurred to her that the rest could too. Not when she hadn’t even realized she was getting aroused.


“Somehow I’m not surprised.” She took Genevieve gingerly. “You don’t have to be embarrassed, that was something else that took some getting used to.” 


“I will try to keep that in mind.” Genevieve was wishing Remiel was there so she could hide her face in his shoulder. It occurred to her, “You’ve met Remiel?”


“We’ve been here before.” Dr. Latro nodded noncommittally. 


“Ah.”


“Why do you call him Remiel?” The Alpha asked inquisitively.


“Because it’s his name.” It seemed like such a ridiculous question it took an effort not to be facetious about it.


“Everyone else calls him Remi.”


“I’ve noticed. And that was what he asked me to call him at first. But he decided he liked the way I say Remiel and he wanted me to keep calling him that.” Genevieve tried not to think about the dream, that wouldn’t help the smell situation.


“You called him Remiel after he asked to be called Remi?” Dylan’s tone was flat.


“I talk in my sleep sometimes. I had a dream about him and, uh, when I woke up, he was asking me about it. Apparently, he liked the way I said his name and the way I smelled when I did.”


“This was before he mated you wasn’t it.” The doctor sounded very sure. “I’m amazed you could sleep.”


“I was tired, and he was cuddling me in bed. Aside from the X-rated dreams, I slept really well.” It would be nice if he didn’t have to work right now. Snuggling up for a nap was starting to sound really good.


“Curling up with your mate is always nice. I’m going to have to steal mine away from Alpha Germain around lunchtime, I think.” The Alpha said with a wry smile.


“I wish I could do that. I’d be borrowing my Remiel to come take a nap with me.” Genevieve tried and failed to stifle a yawn. 


“You’re getting tired?” The doctor was back to being all business.


“A little. I’ve been falling asleep a lot, it’s kind of annoying.”


“Your body needs the rest to heal. When you get tired you should sleep. How old are you that you need to be told that?” The sharp annoyed tone made Genevieve want to snap back.


Biting her tongue, she answered, “Twenty-seven. And how often did you just take naps during the day before, Dr. Latro? You seem like you might be as bad as I am about wanting to be up and doing.”


The doctor made a face that looked both annoyed and amused. “I’ve had to learn to take care of myself better. Alpha Latro insisted.”


“Remiel might ask him for pointers then, he’s very keen on me taking better care of myself. And I’m kind of not great at it.” Genevieve managed to stifle the next yawn.


“I’ll suggest they talk.” The Alpha was smiling. “This looks like where we need to be.”


Dylan got the door and Genevieve was deposited on what looked like a hospital bed. It was a very utilitarian looking set of rooms. Even hospitals had some bland art on the walls, this place looked very clean but as cheerless as she imagined a prison infirmary. This was a place people only came when they had to, when something was wrong, and every nook and cranny practically screamed it. It didn’t feel clean. Or safe.


“Ours at least has windows.” Dr. Latro frowned looking around. “Where is the healer?”


“Yeahhh, um, I don't want to be here. Is there anyway you can do what you need to do in the hall?” It felt like every hair on her body was standing up. “Or how ‘bout my room. My room is nice. My room is safe.”


“Calm down, Ms. Geary. I’ll try to make this…” The sound of her voice faded out but her lips were still moving.


“You can’t run away Sybil. I know how to find you now. We’re going to meet soon, and you’ll understand.” The voice was louder than a whisper this time, it made her feel nauseous and the room was going dark.


She was chained in the cave and all she could do was listen. 


“The Sibyl, with frenzied mouth uttering things not to be laughed at, unadorned and unperfumed, yet reaches to a thousand years with her voice by aid of the god.” The voice of the Page was louder and clearer. “A Sibyl is a valuable thing. You’d be wasted on a pack of wild dogs. Time to come home, Sybil.”


The dark figure emerged from the shadows and she screamed in fear and fury but no sound came out of her mouth. Fighting the chains was useless, she couldn’t get away. The smell of smoke filled her nose and the sound of screams suddenly filled her ears as she felt hands gripping her arms and legs trying to hold her still.


With a shudder she realized she was in her room. Every inch of her body was hurting from her throbbing head to her cramped feet. Genevieve tried to take a deep breath and her side protested. Her eyes started to run and it felt like her nose already had been.


“Alright, back up.” The sound of the doctor ordering everyone away made her wince.


“Remiel?” Genevieve managed to croak. Her throat felt raw.


“I’m here.” He was kneeling where she could see him immediately. His eye was golden and he looked like he expected her to crumble into dust. “I’m not going anywhere.”


She managed to nod even though it hurt to move her head.


“She’s hurting all over.” He looked up at someone behind her.


“She was having some kind of seizure.”


“It was the Page. She told you she didn’t want to be there. The room felt wrong.” His fear was turning to fury and his face was changing.


“We need to know who he is and how to fight him.” Silas’ voice was unmistakable. 


Words came spilling out of her mouth, “The Beautiful will strike him down him as the Sibyl burns. Cold is the water. The smoke, the smoke and heat but no light. No light. Tell the Angel, water underneath and fire above but no light.”


Remiel stroked her hair, changing back, looking agonized. “I’m going to kill him, but you’re not going to burn. I don’t understand the rest.”


She blinked at him feeling her eyes getting heavier each time.



© 2021 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

15 Views
Added on January 9, 2021
Last Updated on January 9, 2021
Tags: witches, werewolves, drama, romance, supernatural


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay