Twenty-seven

Twenty-seven

A Chapter by Isemay

Dara had enjoyed watching her work. The next day when he brought out the trays with jewelry for the photography session, Genevieve could see he was a quick study. He’d charged his own pieces with an energy bordering on malevolent. Diamond held it well.


The team Farrin had hired had in fact come from a college not too far away. They brought makeup, lights, all manner of equipment. Farrin had given them an advance to make sure they had everything they might possibly need and they seemed eager to earn it.


One of the team came up to her as she was watching her brother and father going over the pictures of them all in their evening wear. Their father had insisted on being helped to stand for the pictures, and despite the stiffness of his stance he hadn’t looked like he needed the chair. He was fondest of the one with her arm around him and her head bowed, but there were small issues that he wanted addressed.


“Ex-excuse me? Ms. Mesny?”


“Geary.” Genevieve corrected her quietly, turning to look at her curiously. “Yes?”


“You-were you in a band?” The girl already knew the answer.


“Sibulla. I’m really not used to being recognized for that. What’s your name?”


She laughed nervously. “Vicki. Why are you still going by Geary? I mean, if I can ask.”


“It’s not the name I was born with, but being told your name is something else after you’ve spent twenty-seven years with the same name is jarring and I’m not sure I want to give up the one I know. It would be like giving up the me I know, if that makes sense.”


“It does.” 


Vicki was interviewing her. Genevieve could feel it and she smiled at her in amusement. 


“How does it feel, I mean you’re kind of living the dream, right? You wake up and your crappy broke days are over and you’ve got an amazingly rich family now.”


Genevieve had to laugh, if she only knew. “It’s really weird for me. I really like my father and brother, and seeing that I come by my personality quirks and appreciation for the creepy honestly is, I guess gratifying is the word? But at the same time I don’t fit here. This isn’t home.” Home was with Remiel.


“Wow, you look so sad. What’s stopping you from making this home?” 


“I have a home, and I can’t go back.”


“Why not?”


“There is no back, the only way through is forward.” She bit her top lip. “Forward isn’t always the most pleasant of directions.”


“But with all this money…”


“It’s not mine.”


“It is, as much as it’s your brother’s, my dear Sybil.” Dara looked at Vicki speculatively. “I suppose I haven’t made that clear enough.”


“You actually get to give a real answer to the question, if you had a million dollars what would you do with it?” Vicki gave her a hopeful smile.


The wheels in her mind turned and Genevieve spoke slowly, “If it’s mine to spend, I’d donate it. Cover therapy costs for foster kids, and give support to organizations that hide and protect battered women and children.” 


“Therapy?” Dara scoffed, “Something more concrete would be more useful.”


“Therapy helped me a lot. It helped my foster mom connect with me and it helped me open up and get things… out.” Her eyes were burning. 


“Wait, you were in foster care?” Vicki interrupted incredulously.


“I was taken away from my mother by the courts.” Genevieve gave a curt nod, “One of the best things that ever happened to me. The Boyds were so good to me.”


“Do you still keep in touch?”


“Mr. and Mrs. Boyd are passed on. But Brandon, my foster brother, is one of my best friends. I can always call him to help me get out of dangerous relationships or bad situations. I was actually working in his shop, The Kind Ring - Crystals and Magick. Well, his and Sage’s shop. Sage was his partner and the two of them are both amazing men.”


“Oh wow! That’s pretty awesome. Do you mind if I ask, were you in a lot of dangerous relationships?”


“I mind.” Dara coolly interrupted. “We have more pictures to take.”


“Of course! I’m sorry.” Vicki looked suddenly nervous and backed away. 


“You were being interviewed, are you aware?” Dara gave her a disapproving look.


“I was aware. I don’t see the harm.”


“I imagine you don’t. Everything you say will be repeated, my dear. You have to think carefully about what you share.”


“The Sibyl speaks the truth, it is perception that varies.”


“Does the world need to know the sad details of your life?”


“The Sibyl speaks the truth.”


“The Sibyl is not required to answer.”


Genevieve took a breath, “The Sibyl is not required to answer?”


“No, you believed she was?”


“Yes.”


“My dear Sybil.” Dara took hold of her hand and kissed the back of it. “Perhaps you should refrain from speaking of yourself in the third person around those not in our family?”


“Yes, Father.”


He smiled warmly and the session continued. Vicki didn’t approach again until Dara was engrossed in the details of altering some of the pictures and going through candid shots with the photographer.


“Ms. Geary? I’m sorry about earlier, I didn’t mean to…”


“It’s fine. I think he’s still adjusting to having a trainwreck for a daughter. And I’m still adjusting to the notion that my life would be an embarrassment.” 


Vicki let out a pained hissing exhale through her teeth. “I wanted to write something to go with a few of the pictures, if I could get permission but… I think maybe that was a bad idea and I should have talked to you about it first.”


“You should have, but I’m not embarrassed about my life. As long as you’re kind as well as truthful in your story I’m fine with it.” Genevieve gave her a sad smile. “And as for your question earlier, I have only ever dated one decent man. The rest were all varying degrees of awful.”


“What happened to him?”


“I broke his heart.” Genevieve looked away toward her father and brother with the photographers.


“Why? If-if I can ask?” Vicki sounded like she hated to pry.


“Because I’m a trainwreck and he deserves better. He deserves a long life of happiness with someone not as damaged as I am. I broke his heart to protect him.” Her eyes were burning again.


“Ms. Geary?” Vicki touched her arm lightly and Genevieve could feel her concern. “I think you should consider spending some of your money on some more therapy. I really think you could use it.”


Genevieve turned to stare at her and started to laugh, “Vicki, if I start trying to fix what’s wrong with me there won’t be anything left to help anyone else.”


Vicki tried not to smile, “You’re not that broken. What was his name? I want to know if I meet the one good one out there.”


“Remiel.” The sound of his name was like a bell in her ears. Even Vicki seemed to hear something strange in it.


“That’s a… unique name.”


“Everyone calls him Remi.” Genevieve let herself smile, “He’s as beautiful and angelic as his name.”


“That’s the first smile that actually touched your eyes all day.” Vicki opened her mouth to say something else but closed it looking past Genevieve's shoulder. 


“Sybil!” Dara’s commanding tone carried and everyone stopped to look.


“Coming, Father.” She looked back to Vicki for a moment with a faint smile, “It was nice to meet you, Vicki.”


“The same, Ms. Geary.”


Dara’s frown could have frozen water. “What had we discussed, my dear?”


“That I don’t have to answer. She’s very nice, Father.”


“You are infuriating, Sybil. I know you aren’t stupid but you’re behaving as if you’re utterly naive. Strangers with questions should be directed to me or your brother. Do you understand?”


“Yes, Father.”


“You’re being very agreeable. That makes me suspicious.” He eyed her with annoyance.


“I can stop being agreeable.” She shrugged slightly.


A throat cleared behind her. “Father, they wanted to ask if Sibbi would like any pictures taken with instruments. They’re aware she was in a band years ago.”


“I think not. That’s a chapter best forgotten.” Dara sighed.


“But Mr. Mesny, isn’t that how you found her? Through the website with her music on it?” One of the photography team was holding a guitar. “That seems like something to celebrate.” He flinched as Dara fixed him with a glare.


“I never could play an instrument, I sang. And I think if you offered to chain me up for pictures my father would release the hounds.” Genevieve smiled wryly and the team within earshot relaxed and nodded returning her smile.


“We could get some pictures of you singing, if you wanted to.” He gave a hopeful smile. “I know a few songs.”


“I don’t know if I like the thought of you singing for strangers, my dear.” The look Dara gave her said he was trying to politely discourage her but he could be more forceful if required.


“I like to sing. And you wanted to hear something melodic?”


Dara narrowed his eyes.


“What about Hallelujah?” The younger man strummed on his guitar.


“I know it.” She looked at Dara until he spread his hands and exhaled his frustration.


A nod to the guitarist and the song began. She closed her eyes and let it flow. When she opened them, Dara was smiling faintly and everyone else looked vaguely haunted.


“You do have a beautiful voice, my dear Sybil. But if you’re going to sing so mournfully, perhaps don’t pour all of yourself into it.”


“It’s the only way I know how to sing.”


“I think Sibbi has had enough for today. Let’s go in and make sure you’re hydrated.” Farrin wrapped an arm around her and pulled her toward the door to the house while she tried to wave.


Over her shoulder she offered, “It was nice to meet you all.”


A chorus of likewises and sames followed as she was pulled into the house.


“That was beautiful and chilling, Sibbi. ‘A blaze of light in every word…’ Go get some water and I’ll be in shortly, I don’t want to leave them out there with father. He might have them deleting the pictures we argued over.” Farrin gave her a kiss on her forehead.


“I can do that.” Genevieve watched him go back out and then wandered to find the kitchen. Poking through cabinets until she found some glasses and turning on the tap, she almost dropped the glass when someone shouted in surprise.


“What are you- Oh! Ms. Mesny! Did you need something?”


“Water.” She turned holding up her glass of tap water and looking down at the water spilled on her sweater. “I had intended to drink it, not wear it.”


“We have bottled water for you!” The plump woman opened the fridge and pulled out a bottle of Veen.


“The tap water is fine, really.”


The woman glanced around for a moment, “Don’t let Mr. Mesny hear you say that. I’ll get you a clean glass.”


Genevieve tilted her head and looked at the woman as if she had gone mad, “I only had water in it. This is a clean glass.”


“What are you doing in the kitchen, Sybil?” Dara appeared in the doorway. 


“Getting some water…” She stood baffled as the woman handed her a new glass and took her first one with the water still in it. 


“You weren’t drinking tap water?”


“Of course I was, there’s nothing wrong with tap water.”


He fixed her with a black look.


“Don’t give me that look, bottled water is a waste of money. Tap water, unless it’s coming out discolored or stinking, is perfectly fine. You have perfectly lovely water coming out of the tap.”


“Sybil, whose house is this?” His lips twitched slightly.


“Your house, Father.” 


“If I say you do not drink the tap water, do you drink the tap water?”


She fidgeted and took a frustrated breath, “No, I suppose not. That doesn’t mean I won’t tell you your rule is ridiculous.” Even to her ears she sounded like a sullen child.


“My father would have had me thrashed for that tone alone, my dear. Take your water to your room until you’re able to apologize like an adult.”


“Yes, Father. I assume this isn't the time to point out you told me to stop being agreeable?” She yelped as he slapped her leg while she was slipping past him. The blow itself wasn’t very hard but his simmering anger burned.


“Go to your room.”


Genevieve bolted. A hot shower and a soak in salt water might help dislodge that horrible feeling. She was still soaking when Farrin came looking for her.


“I was sent to encourage you to apologize. What happened?” Farrin leaned on the door frame and she crossed her arms over her chest.


“I was drinking tap water and-” She watched Farrin facepalm. “And I argued with him about it.”


“I see. How much did you argue?”


“Enough for him to slap me on the leg as I went past. It burned, Farrin.” She watched him wince.


“He only struck me once. It was enough.”


“I can understand why, but I’m not going to apologize. I might have been a little sullen about the ban on drinking tap water but I agreed to it and everything I said was true.”


“You were both tired. I’ll see if I can mediate.” He sighed and turned to go. “Think about apologizing for being sullen, the rest can be forgotten about.”


“I’m not apologizing to someone who hit me, it makes them think that’s how you get apologies out of people.” She couldn’t make out what he muttered in response as he left.


At dinner time a servant came to fetch her. She was climbing into bed dressed in one of the undershirts Farrin had put in her drawers and underwear. For a moment, she thought about going down like that. But that would make it worse. 


Pulling on ripped black jeans and a grey and black hoodie with laces up the arms and diagonally over the body she followed the servant to the dining room.


“How kind of you to dress up.” Dara glowered at her as she entered.


“I just came down to say I’m not hungry, thanks for the invitation.” Genevieve turned on her heel. 


“In the future, you can simply tell the servant.” Dara snapped.


“Good to know.”  She muttered as she went back toward her room. He was in a worse mood than before and Farrin wasn’t there. Changing course she went toward Farrin’s rooms. The door was closed and she knocked purposefully. No one answered and she started to think he wasn’t there when the door was pulled open with annoyance.


“What- Sibbi! You’re supposed to be having dinner with father.”


“I didn’t dress to his satisfaction.” She folded her arms and an idea occurred to her. “Do you want to go out to a movie or something? I was dressed for bed and actually in bed when I was invited down to dinner. Now I’m up and mad, so let’s go do something.”


“What movie?” Farrin pulled her into the room.


“Anything thin on plot and heavy on explosions.” Following him in she could see boxes in the doorway to his display room. “Boxes?”


“I decided to take your advice. I’m lending them out. If you change your mind I can get them back, if not they’ll have good homes.” Farrin smiled ruefully.


“I can’t do what he wants, Farrin. I’d spare you if I could. The only thing I can do is try to stand alone as much as I can and keep his anger on me.” Taking off with him wouldn’t help with that. “Going out together is probably a bad idea. Go back to whatever you were doing I’ll just-” 


“Come here you-you sad little thing.” Farrin crushed her in a hug. “We’re going out. A movie, maybe drinking and dancing. I have your ID from the hospital in my wallet. I didn’t think to give it to you when I told you to take my car. Let’s go.”


They slipped out and into his Porsche. At the mall they got movie tickets and with an hour to kill picked up costume jewelry for her to use to make a void around herself and Farrin picked out tight black corset dress with lace that didn’t come half way down her thighs and black almost victorian looking stiletto boots to go clubbing in. He’d pulled on the black on black suit he’d taken pictures in earlier in the day before they’d left the house.


The movie was exactly what she needed, something brainless and violent. Farrin had mocked it quietly the entire way through. Afterward they grabbed a bite to eat and she changed in the restaurant bathroom. The dress was entirely too short and the heels… she was sure she was going to fall over.


When Genevieve walked out to the car her face was red, she felt like everyone was staring. “What have you dressed me in? Everyone is staring.”


“Because you’re stunning, Sibbi. If you didn’t have a void around you, you’d hear them admiring you.” His smirk and the intonation on admiring told her another word might have been more appropriate.


At the club, Farrin walked past the line as if he owned it. They let him in without a question. First thing was shots to get up the nerve for dancing around people in such a short dress. By the time she was lubricated enough to be willing to go out on the floor the boots were too much for her to deal with. Farrin laughed at her and at her encouragement left her to sit and dance in her seat while he danced with several women on the floor.


He was occupied when she was joined by a stranger, “Hey girl, you get left here while your man is off dancing?” The man leered as he spoke loudly into her ear.


“No, my brother is off dancing. I’m not a club girl, this is his kind of fun.” She tried to will Farrin to look over.


“Well if you want to get out of here…” He laughed and tried to reach out and take hold of her hand.


“No, I’m good thanks.” Genevieve frowned and tried to pull herself in.


“I don’t bite but you look good enough to eat, just damn.”


“Sibbi, is this guy bothering you?” Farrin came back over trailed by one of the women he was dancing with, making himself heard over the noise by bringing what felt like a bubble of dampened sound to the table.


“Lil’bit.”


“Don’t be that way. You go back and dance. I'm just keeping your sister company.”


“No need. You can leave the table and leave her alone or I can get the bouncer to escort you out.” The look on Farrin’s face could have made a statue step back. The man left without any further issue.


“I have some friends that were looking for a table, they might be willing to keep her company.” Farrin’s dance partner volunteered. 


“I’d love that!” Genevieve immediately agreed. 


Three other girls joined her promptly but only one actually stayed at the table. She chatted as best she could with Gwen about not liking loud clubs and about the movie they’d gone to see while drinking a few more drinks. They teetered together to the ladies room laughing and when they came back Gwen’s friends were ready to leave.


Farrin came to the table shortly after, ready to go himself. In the hours he’d been dancing he’d sobered up, Genevieve was still floating. She rolled down the window for the cool air and sang with the radio most of the way home.


Coming in, Farrin carried her clothes and the boots she’d taken off, letting her walk in barefooted. He stopped when he saw Dara scowling in the hall but Genevieve was still flying and feeling cheerful.


She strolled up to him and dropped herself into his lap. “You are’n a*s. But I love you anyway.” Turning his head she gave him a kiss on the cheek.


“She’s drunk.” She could feel Dara sitting stiffly under her as if he were afraid to move.


“Yes, Father. I didn’t realize how little it takes.” Farrin was amused and appalled at the same time she could see it on his face.


“Why did you take her out drinking?” He sounded almost resigned.


“You should have seen her sad little face, Father. She wanted to go out to a movie but I thought something more might work better to cheer her up. I took her dancing too.”


“Noooo. You danced. I din’t dance. I watched and hung out with Gwen. We drank. It was fun though but so loud.”


“How many drinks did you have with Gwen?” Dara inquired innocently.


“Three, maybe? But they were blue and like…” She tried to show him the size of the glass with her fingers.


“I see. Did you pick this dress?”


Genevieve started to laugh, shaking her head. “No, I wan’nd somethin’ longer but Farrin said nothin’ I picked was a club dress. He picked it. An’ the shoes. Those’re pretty but I can’t walk in them har’ly.”


“Ah. Your brother dressed you like a tramp.”


“She doesn’t look like a tramp. This is almost modest!”


“Farrin, people were staring like I’s a hooker!”


“You look stunning, Sibbi.”


“Of course she does, but in this dress she looks like a stunning prostitute.” Dara lifted his hand to rub her back. “At least my daughter has a sense of modesty, even if she’s willing to let her brother persuade her into indecent clothing.”


“If you both stop insulting my taste, I might try to persuade her into clothing appropriate for dinner in the future.”


“I would appreciate that,” Dara sounded amused.


Genevieve adjusted herself on his lap and rested her head on his shoulder. Her eyes felt heavy.


“Is she…”


“Falling asleep on you? Yes, Father.” There was a rustling and Farrin spoke quietly to someone before coming back to where she could hear, “I can take her, Father.”


“This is almost nice. I do, however, expect you both at breakfast in a few hours.”


“Of course. She’ll probably be less adorable with a hangover.”


Dara laughed softly, “I’ll try to be understanding, but apparently, I am an a*s.”


“She loves you anyway.” Farrin lifted her off of Dara’s lap. “I’ll take her to bed.”


“Wells said she was in your shirt and nothing else when she was summoned for dinner.”


“She uses t-shirts for night clothes. I think she didn’t bother to buy any because she can steal mine.”


“Ah.”



© 2021 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

36 Views
Added on January 11, 2021
Last Updated on January 11, 2021
Tags: witches, werewolves, drama, romance, supernatural


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay