CHAPTER 1: THE HOMECOMING

CHAPTER 1: THE HOMECOMING

A Chapter by Nicholaa Spencer
"

Alynna Hall was living with her uncle, Father Fabian, in a parish in Italy. She was taken away from the US through her father's order when she was 5, but after 20 years, she will now come home.

"

Prologue

“Uncle”, a child with long curly hair and bonny face called out as she approached a priest sitting under an oak tree just behind the church. This little girl’s face was wet with tears and her nose and cheeks were reddish. The priest watched her take a seat beside him.


“Now, now, bambina. What happened today?” the priest asked in a concerned voice. Padre Fabian is the parish priest of Santuario della Madonna del Divino Amore in Via Ardeatina in Rome, and the little child sobbing beside him is his niece.


“We had an activity today at school, and the teacher asked everyone about their parents’ job. I said you are a priest, and they all laughed at me.” The child answered, her crying becoming even louder. The priest closed the Bible he was reading and faced her.


“Well, they laughed because they know that your father’s job is not a priest. Your father is a famous businessman in America.” Padre Fabian explained in a soft voice. He did not want to crush the child’s morale even more by telling her that having a priest for a father is the real reason why the other children made fun of her. He had already reminded the little girl so many times that he is not her father, but his brother, Marcus, who is a business tycoon in the US.


“Teacher said that a father takes care of the children, so you are my father, because you take care of me.” The child reasoned. Padre Fabian felt pity for his niece. She was once a pampered princess, who lived in a beautiful mansion full of servants at her disposal, and homeschooled by a Harvard University professor to ensure that she gets the best education there is. Now, she is the talk of the town of Via Ardeatina, the center of evil gossips and jokes, and he cannot do much to prevent her from getting hurt.


“Alynna child, there was once a woman named ‘Magdalene’, who was laughed upon by everyone because she was a...she had an unusual job. Bad people say terrible things toward her, and just when they were about to throw stones at her, someone came to her aid and-”


“Was that Jesus? He always comes to save the day. In your stories.” The child innocently asked. Padre Fabian laughed.


“Yes, he was. Jesus asked anyone who has no sins to come throw stones at Magdalene. Nobody did, because everyone has sins. Therefore, Jesus told them not to judge other people unless they are pure and free from any sins. From that day on, no one tried to stone Magdalene again.” Padre Fabian said. The child’s very beautiful blue eyes were filled with wonder.


“Tomorrow, I will tell my classmates the story of Magdalene. Maybe they will not laugh at me again.” The child said, and the kind priest smiled.


“That’s a good girl.”


Chapter 1: The Homecoming


New York

 

“GODDAMIT!”


Marcus Hall swore as he furiously thumped on his mahogany desk on his home office. He threw down his wireless office telephone and abruptly raked his right hand through his slightly long and graying hair. How could she do this now, of all times?


The door quickly opened and Isidore entered. Isidore is Marcus’ self-patronizing wife, with long blonde hair and hourglass figure maintained by her beauty team " dermatologists, makeup artists, cosmetic surgeons, fashion stylists, massage therapist, yoga and gym instructor and a dietician. Added to that is her own tanning bed that helps maintain her perfect summer tan even during the coldest of winter.


“Marcus honey, what’s wrong?” she asked as she approached her husband. Marcus sat on his leather chair and let his beautiful " if not artificial " wife caress his shoulders. It relieved him of some of his tension. Isidore has always had this magic upon Marcus; he can never let her become upset. During their wedding, Isidore even adopted Queen Anne’s motto: The Most Happy.


“Your daughter called from wherever goddamn hellhole she is now, telling me that she ran off with her NBA player boyfriend, knowing for a fact that her marriage " is in a very crucial stage and in essence, our business!” Marcus said, his tone angry but still, he remained seated. He did not want to topple off Isidore by suddenly standing. Her most recent nose lift cost a considerable amount.


Isidore could not keep her surprise, and when she recovered, her hands shook in her own anger and frustration. Bella surely knows what the repercussions of her action are, and if the successor of Rothschild International Corporation refuses to marry their daughter Bella - which they hope not - their own business, Hall Enterprise, will be ruined. Isidore thought of losing her fashionable life, and she thought of rather dying at this instant than lose whatever luxury she has now.


“Well…we still have 3 weeks to formally introduce Bella to the Rothschilds, so we have time to have her back here to continue with the wedding. All we have to do is to have them married and we’re all set. You know your daughter…you just have to give her a little of her requests and she will follow whatever you want her to do.” Isidore said, her voice as soft as cooing an infant. Marcus exhaled angrily, which surprised Isidore. This must be a tough situation if that technique does not work on his husband.


“I’ve had enough of your daughter’s whims! All she knows is showing off her goods to many men, have one of them for a week, flaunt the jerk on the magazines and after that, it starts again! Bella should know that all her life we’ve given her what she wants and all I ever ask is for her to marry the Rothschild! Why can’t her small airy brain process that? And for your information, your daughter already married the f*****g guy!” Marcus lamented, his voice getting hoarse in anger and frustration. Isidore sat on the chair in front of his massive desk, anger boiling on her insides. She did what?!


“Bella’s way of life is not the issue here, Marcus. Instead of ranting on her actions " which I may add, is like you questioning my rearing of her " why don’t you start thinking of a way to fix this problem? Have Bella divorce that man, bring her back here and marry her off to the Rothschild! Surely with our money, we can pull some strings to have the divorce processed as soon as possible.” Isidore said, leaning toward her husband to let him know exactly what she thinks. She was having difficulty reining in her anger just like her husband, but she tried her best to sound sensible. Marcus looked at her in exasperation.


“And do you think the Rothschilds would want a divorcee as a wife to their heir? With all the garbage and scandals about Bella, it was already a miracle they even considered the merging! But this?!” Marcus exclaimed, arms raised in surrender. He stood up and paced the length of his office, unable to keep himself steady. Isidore let her husband pace for a while, an idea forming in her mind. Of course, when she proposes her idea to Marcus, the only choice is to agree with her, or let Hall Enterprise go down to the sewers.


“I have the solution.” Isidore said confidently, her eyes shining with decisiveness. Marcus looked expectantly.


“What solution?”


“Instead of Bella, have Alynna marry the Rothschild.”


Marcus stared at his wife, dumbstruck.


*

 

Via Ardeatina, Roma

 

So early but already so hot, Alynna thought as she rode on her bicycle toward the Santuario della Madonna del Divino Amore Parish Church. Her bicycle basket was laden with baguette and butter, fresh milk in a carton and a couple of antibiotics on a small plastic packet. She woke up too early to go to the 24-hour drug store to buy Uncle Fabian’s prescribed medicine for cough. Uncle Fabian, or Padre Fabian for others, is her paternal uncle who raised her up since she was 5 years old. He took her from her parents in New York and cared for her like a daughter, which raised many suspicions that she is a b*****d of Padre Fabian, but this did not shake his uncle. It also did not help that they have a slight physical resemblance, with her getting all her features from her maternal side, but got the Hall’s aristocratic nose. However, she did not even have the smallest similarity with her stepmother " not that she wanted to have any resemblance from Isidore in the first place. As Isidore is a black-eyed, curly blonde bombshell with natural reddish, freckle-prone complexion and wide facial features " wide mouth, wide eyes, and wide nostrils, but she heard that they are all repaired now " Alynna has a jet-black hair which has soft, natural curls, blue eyes, small mouth and lily-white complexion which makes her looks quite unique. People expect American children to look like little Marilyn Monroes, but she did not qualify on that. Maybe, Alynna thought, she really belongs to Rome where she looks a little similar to the people here.


She was just on time as she heard the campanille ringing on a distance, signaling the 6 AM Mass. She tied her bicycle on a light post on the church’s parking lot, and went straight to the kitchen. A helper was there, cooking a meager breakfast for her uncle that will be served after the mass. Uncle Fabian never eats breakfast before the morning Mass; he wanted to have the Body of Christ touch his lips first before anything else in the morning.


Buongiorno!” Alynna happily greeted to the 50 something year-old kitchen maid whose name is Maria. There are awfully lots of Maria in Rome. She dropped her groceries on the wooden kitchen table and smiled. Maria has always wondered if Alynna ever knew that her smile is as bright as the morning sunshine.


Buongiorno troppo!” Maria answered. As everyday Alynna always looks for her Uncle after greeting ‘good morning’ to whoever is in there, Maria voluntarily told her where Padre Fabian is.


“He might be on the altar now, child. Go along now and attend the Mass!” Maria said, in her very thick Italian accent. Alynna nodded and went to the main entrance and sat on one of the long and empty pews. There are already few churchgoers listening to her uncle’s sermon, and she took a deep breath and concentrated on his uncle’s words.


“Yet to serve the Lord, all of us need to have our whole hearts and souls dedicate to Him. Not only a fourth, not only a half, but whole. God gave everything to us in perfection; to serve Him is to commit ourselves wholly and most of all, without any second thoughts. Married children of God must do all their responsibilities with good intentions, and that goes the same with unmarried, children, widowed, siblings, and men and women of the Church…” Padre Fabian said in his perfect Italian.


Alynna kept her eyes closed and listened very closely to her uncle’s words. Yes, she commits herself to the Lord wholeheartedly. Yes, she does not have any second thoughts, and yes, she will gladly serve the Lord as a bride of the Church.


After having finished her degree in Business Administration, she may now start on her spiritual journey toward becoming a Catholic nun.


She felt very peaceful and guided at that very moment.


*

 

The call was unlike any that Father Fabian had ever expected.


On the first few months since he had taken Alynna to Rome, he had tried his best to maintain a distant, uncle-niece relationship with Alynna, because he did not want to risk his emotions if ever his brother, Marcus, suddenly changes his mind and takes his daughter back to New York. Fabian patiently waited, until almost a year passed but they never heard of Marcus except for cheques named to him for Alynna’s expenses. It was the only determinant that Marcus still remembers his daughter. The cheques were always exceeding his daughter’s needs, and whatever is left on Alynna’s monthly allowance goes to her personal savings account. Fabian told himself that Marcus has his reasons to let his own daughter live far from him and that he could just take her away anytime, but as time passed without a word from Marcus, Alynna started to grow on him. It started on the very first Christmas he spent with the child.


“Uncle, buon natale!” Alynna greeted as she approached him on the fireplace. It was after he celebrated the Christmas Eve Mass, and he thought his niece was already asleep, but there she was, trotting like a gay foul and handing him a small box. She was wearing a white sleepwear and a Santa hat with lights on the sides. She looked like a merry little elf.


“Merry Christmas too, Alynna. What is this?” Fabian asked, smile lighting up his aging face. At the age of forty and combined with the harsh weather, his face looked a little older for his age. Fabian never had the sophistication and charisma of his brother Marcus, but he had the kind eyes and approachable air that Alynna’s father sadly lacked of.


Il mio regalo, uncle. Open it!”


Fabian did not need to carefully tear the cover of the box as it was very badly wrapped, and when he looked inside, there lay a small father and daughter figurine holding each other’s hands, only that the father had a badly sewn priest robes.

“It’s…very artistic, Alynna. Thank you.” Fabian said in a warm voice and hugged his niece. Alynna smiled.


Sei il benvenuto, uncle.” Alynna answered then held the figurine. Uncle Fabian nodded.


“See, this is uncle, and that is me. You are my father, and I am your daughter.” Alynna explained in a childish voice, pointing to the figurine for emphasis. Fabian shook his head.


“No bambina. I am your uncle. Your father is Marcus Hall. He is a businessman in New York. How many times do I have to repeat that for you?” Fabian asked, feigning anger. The child smiled.


“Yes I know, but Papa is not here, and from what you said yesterday on the morning mass, a child like me needs a mother and father by my side. I already found two mothers " there is Sister Marian and Sister Theresa " but I still need a father by my side, so you will be my father. Isn’t it perfect?” Alynna explained, her eyes glowing in happiness. Fabian did not have the heart to shatter her contentment, especially since it was Christmas.


“Of course, Alynna. That is pretty much perfect. You will then be raised as a child of Church.”


“I am glad to be, Uncle Father.”


That was the happiest Christmas Eve Fabian has ever had.


But that 10 minute-call from New York shattered his peaceful existence - his and Alynna’s peaceful existence. Fabian honestly thought " and secretly wished " that Marcus had forgotten all about his daughter, but that call proved otherwise.


*

 

There is still time to back out, Alynna thought as she eyed on the plane’s hatch. She can still run for it, run from her father and come back to her Uncle Fabian, and to Sisters Marian and Theresa. Why, she is still in Rome but she felt already homesick.

Gracious, she does not even want to go back to New York " or anywhere else for that matter.


Alynna remembered how his uncle tried his best to stop his tears from falling when he told her that she needed to go back to New York to help her father, and for whatever reason is that, Marcus never told his uncle anything. Marcus sent a one-way ticket for Alynna, and just 2 days after Fabian received the call, Alynna was already seated on the plane’s first class, going to New York, her homeland. A part of her did not want to leave Rome and the people who raised her like their own, but there is this tiny voice in the farthest corner of herself which urges her to meet Marcus Hall to know why did she and him had to live like total strangers. Yes, Alynna thought, she should go to New York.


But her heart knows where her true home is.


A presto, Roma.” Alynna murmured as the cool voice of the flight attendant told them to fasten their seatbelts to prepare for the plane’s take-off.


*

 

New York

 

Alynna was relieved to see a small reception team when she went out from the airport. There were two men in business suits; one of them holding a small placard which says, “Alynna Hall”. She approached them and confirmed her identity, and then one of them got her suitcases and led her to the waiting Mercedes-Benz. Alynna felt uncomfortable. She was used to the simple life in Via Ardeatina and the luxury here in New York makes her feel uneasy and out-of-place.


Alynna noted the stiffness of the driver and the two men who met her, and she felt slightly disappointed that her father did not personally meet her. She understands that Marcus Hall is a busy person, with all his businesses to attend to, but this will be the first time they will be seeing each other again, 20 years after he gave her to her Uncle Fabian. She was not surprised that her stepmother, Isidore, did not bother to get her; they were not close even when she was living with them. She was always with her nanny.


She could not help but be nervous, especially when they approached the stunning mansion of her father. For some reason, she cannot tell herself that this is her house too. She felt like an outsider, someone out-of-place in Marcus Hall’s life.


“We’re here, Miss.” The driver said, the first time he had ever talked to her.


“Thank you, er…”


“David, Miss.” The driver supplied, sensing her silent question for his name.


“Thank you David. It is a pleasure to meet you. I will pray to God to protect you from harm, especially when driving.” Alynna said. The driver looked at her as if she sprouted antlers. Did she say something wrong?


“Thank you, Miss.” David answered reluctantly and helped one of the two men to lift her suitcases to the front door. The other man rang the doorbell. Alynna murmured a “thank you” to the two men and watched as they left her standing alone outside the large oak door. She half-wished that the door will never open so she has a reason to go back to Rome and tell them that her family is not in New York.


The door opened and a smiling maid greeted her.


“Good morning. Come in, Miss Hall. My name is Lyn. Please let me help you with your luggage.” The maid offered as she opened the door widely.


“Thank you, Lyn. I can manage with the heavier suitcase.” Alynna said when the maid was about to lift the two suitcases. Lyn protested but Alynna already lifted the heavier one. Lyn looked awkwardly at Alynna. Is this dark-haired beauty dressed in ankle-length, slightly out-of-fashion skirt and cotton shirt that looked like it came from a thrift store the eldest daughter of Marcus Hall?


“Please follow me, Miss. I will show you to your room.”


Alynna followed the maid named Lyn and cannot help but marvel on her father’s house. The floor was pure marble and so shiny she can see a faint reflection of herself. The walls were of solid Narra and painted optic white, with golden gildings on the corners. The ceiling was also painted pure white and was very high, with ornate carvings of big rose flowers. A crystal chandelier was hanging at the center of the ceiling, with hundreds of many small crystal balls and lights glinting. It must be very lovely in the evening, she thought. The chairs and lounges were obviously of high quality leather.


Odd, but she cannot help but feel out of place. She lived here until she was five years old, but the grandeur and wealth now feel alien to her; she loves the simple life in the convent and university more than what her father has to offer here in New York.

They passed many rooms on the first floor, and she cannot help but think that the house is nothing but a total waste of space. There is the main receiving room, and there is another smaller receiving room, a library, a tearoom, a weapons room, a home office room, and a piano room. Lyn pointed out a large hallway, which she said leads to the main dining area, a secondary dining area for the house servants, a very large kitchen, a pantry, a bar, and a cellar and storage room on the basement.


On the second floor, there is another library, a game room, a gym, coffee room, spa and salon room, a summerhouse and an orchidarium. There was a large hallway separating those rooms from the 10 guest rooms, the master’s bedroom, and 10 more rooms allotted for family members. Alynna stared, aghast. Is this how rich her father is? He could shelter dozens of homeless families in this kind of house, she thought.

Lyn stopped at last on a white oak door, 3 doors down to the end of the hallway, and opened the door with a key. They quietly entered and Lyn put her luggage down, close to the sprawling wardrobe cabinets.


“This is your room, Miss Alynna.” Lyn said. “The master’s bedroom at the end of the hall is your parents’, the next to its left is Sir Rhys’ room. Next to the left is Miss Bella’s room, and this room will be the third. No one uses the rooms on the right side because the sunlight directly hits them especially during the summer.” Lyn explained. Alynna nodded and then surveyed Lyn, wondering if she can ask her the question that has been bugging her.


Well, Alynna thought, it will not hurt to try.


“Ahm…who is Rhys and Bella?” Alynna asked. The maid looked at her in such surprise.


“You do not know, Miss? Sir Rhys is your brother, second to you. He is 24 years old, only a few years younger than you are. He is a professional racer and also helps with the family business. Miss Bella is 23, and she works as a model for Victoria’s Secret.” Lyn said. Alynna nodded.


“Thank you, Lyn.”


Lyn looked at her new mistress with wonder and pity. Was she estranged to the Hall family for a long time that she was not even informed of her siblings’ existence?

“Would you like me to put your clothes on your closet now, Miss?” Lyn asked. Alynna smiled and shook her head.


“I can manage that chore, Lyn. Thank you for all your help.” Alynna said kindly. Lyn put the key on the bed, smiled and was about to go out when Alynna called after her.


“Lyn?”


“Yes, Miss?”


“If it is not too much to ask, please let go of the Miss and just call me Alynna.”



© 2015 Nicholaa Spencer


Author's Note

Nicholaa Spencer
Thank you for reviewing Marrying A Wannabe Nun! All reviews, feedback, and suggestions are welcome, although I am requesting that your review be published after finishing my book. Marrying A Wannabe Nun is on Goodreads too, if you want to drop by and post your review.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

283 Views
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 8, 2015
Last Updated on August 8, 2015
Tags: romance, love story, heartwarming, passion, love, family, pain, tragic, arranged marriage, businessman, romeo and juliet, romantic, sweet, nicholaa spencer


Author

Nicholaa Spencer
Nicholaa Spencer

About
Nicholaa Spencer is the author of the romance novel, "Marrying A Wannabe Nun". She studied Information Technology in one of the premiere technological colleges in the Philippines and then took creativ.. more..

Writing