CHAPTER 13: VERO AMORE

CHAPTER 13: VERO AMORE

A Chapter by Nicholaa Spencer
"

Cullan ventures to Italy to start looking for his stowaway wife.

"
Chapter 13: Vero Amore

 

The young business tycoon sat on the leather sofa as the alluring, dark-haired Italian reporter was enthusiastically interviewing him. She took the chair across him, and with the way she crossed her legs and batted her lashes, she was like in the middle of asking questions and advertising her goods to the executive in a classic black suit.


“Mr. Rothschild, what made you decide that Rome is the best place to have the biggest branch of Rothschild International Corporation?” the lady reporter asked. Cullan smiled.


“Italy is a very progressive country and I chose Rome because I want to be near the…Colosseum. I want to explore Rome’s beauty.” Cullan answered, looking straight into the reporter’s eyes. She was obviously melting for him.


“Oh. That is very nice. How is your relationship with your wife, who, we heard, is not living with you anymore?”


Cullan’s eyebrow rose. Didn’t he specifically tell the staff of this show not to ask about personal questions? He wished he could stand up and talk down to the staff right now, but how can he? This is a live interview.


Cullan maintained his coolness and smiled.


“Sorry, but I am not inclined to answer personal questions at the moment.” He answered simply. Curiosity flooded the reporter’s face.


“That is a pity. May we know if you have any idea of her whereabouts?”

Cullan’s patience was wearing thin and the reporter was looking more and more stupid and taken with each passing second.


“She is a very private person and I do not wish to answer questions related to her.”


“Why are you then spotted with the Hollywood celebrities Jennifer Lancôme, Elene Gregory and Brazilian model Veronica Silvestre-”


“Those women have nothing to do with me.” Cullan finally answered, not even trying to hide his irritation now. The lady reporter finally caught up with the sudden change in the air.


“Er, thank you for this interview, Mr. Rothschild.” She said in a shaky voice. Cullan’s cold stare told her she will never have a chance with him.


*

 

“Have you found her?” Cullan asked as his secretary came in. Secretary Wood is his personal assistant in all matters, and it was he who investigated about Alynna’s life before Cullan wedded her.


“She is not living with her uncle. The last time they saw her in Via Ardeatina was when she had just came back from US. They say she spent only a night in her uncle’s house, and then left the next day. They never saw her set foot in Via Ardeatina again.” Secretary Wood said. Cullan rubbed his temples. Where is she?


“Sir, if you would allow me to speak up…”


“Yes, secretary. Please.”


“Why didn’t you sign the divorce papers?”


Cullan was silent. Did Secretary Wood really think that he would give up on Alynna just because she f*****g left?


He can remember that dreaded morning as if it was just yesterday.


 

“Alynna…” Cullan murmured as he sleepily patted the other side of their bed, only to find pillows and blankets. It was only five in the morning. Why did she go down so early?


Cullan got up and checked the bathroom. Alynna was not there. He checked the whole house, and when he cannot find her, he went to check her closet.


All her clothes are gone.


“Alynna!” Cullan roared. Where did she go?


He called her phone many times, but only heard the operator’s voice. He left many voice mails, but not one got any answer.


Cullan was full of anger and frustration. She couldn’t possibly left him. He searched for a note, anything, that may tell him she just went out for a while and will be back.


He found a letter on the kitchen counter where it was along with a breakfast of egg and rolls. He read the letter.


 

Cullan,

 

By the time you are reading this, I might be far away now. I left because I cannot bear to let you suffer anymore because of me. I caused you too many problems. I was a burden you just picked up in the first place. My family will never stop ruining our marriage, and I don’t want to be in the position to choose, because I know I will choose you. I owe them because they helped my uncle with the medical expenses, so as long as I owe them, I cannot be with you. I cannot let them use you anymore for your wealth and influence. I cannot let you be ruined because of me.


How should I know when will my debt to them end? All I dreamed before was to be a nun, but when you married me, you showed me my new dream �" to be your ever-loving wife and to be the mother of your children. God let me meet you so I can find my true destiny, but my destiny is to do everything to get you out of my mess. You are very kind; you do not deserve to be pulled into the problems of my family. You did enough by saving the Hall Enterprise and saving me; let me save you for once.


I have every moment that we are together in my mind, heart and soul. You completed me, and now it is time for you to complete yourself. Go on with your life, and forget that you have been entangled in my chaotic life. Love a more deserving woman. But I only ask you one thing: Not my sister. I will die if you choose her to replace me.


If saving you from difficulties created by my family meant that I will never see you again, then move on knowing that somewhere in this world, someone is praying for your safety and loving you more than herself, forever. Should we meet again in our afterlives, I will do everything to be with you. You are my life’s stormy sea; and I would rather drown in your darkest waters if it means being with you until the end.

 

Alynna


 

Inside the envelope were sheets of paper.


The divorce papers.


And they were already signed by Alynna.


“Damn you! Damn you for not trusting my love enough!” Cullan roared, tearing the divorce papers into pieces. Not satisfied, Cullan trampled the torn pieces while his hands kept on banging the kitchen counter the breakfast plates fell and broke. How could she be so cruel to him?


“Alynna!” Cullan shouted, calling her name although he knew she will not come.


 

“Secretary Wood.” Cullan said suddenly after his brief journey to the past. Secretary Wood straightened up.


“Yes sir?”


“You said she has no travel records leaving Italy?”


“Yes sir.”


“So there is a great possibility that she is still here in Italy, isn’t?”


“Yes sir.”


“What is ‘true love’ in Italian?”


Secretary Wood showed surprise in his boss’ peculiar question that was so not in line with their topic.


“Uh…it’s ‘vero amore’, sir.” Secretary Wood answered, looking at Cullan as if he had already lost his marbles.


“Okay. Find my wife as soon as possible, Secretary Wood. I want my vero amore back to me.” Cullan said with vindiction. Secretary Wood nodded, amazed at how much his boss changed just because of one woman.


Mrs. Rothschild must have an award for this, Secretary Wood thought.



© 2015 Nicholaa Spencer


Author's Note

Nicholaa Spencer
Thank you for reviewing Marrying A Wannabe Nun! All reviews, feedback, and suggestions are welcome, although I am requesting that your review be published after finishing my book. Marrying A Wannabe Nun is on Goodreads too, if you want to drop by and post your review.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

178 Views
Added on August 10, 2015
Last Updated on August 10, 2015
Tags: romance, love story, heartwarming, passion, love, family, pain, tragic, arranged marriage, businessman, romeo and juliet, romantic, sweet, nicholaa spencer


Author

Nicholaa Spencer
Nicholaa Spencer

About
Nicholaa Spencer is the author of the romance novel, "Marrying A Wannabe Nun". She studied Information Technology in one of the premiere technological colleges in the Philippines and then took creativ.. more..

Writing