CHAPTER 16: THE PRINCESS IN PALERMO

CHAPTER 16: THE PRINCESS IN PALERMO

A Chapter by Nicholaa Spencer
"

Cullan finally finds Alynna, but the question is: will she come back to him, or will he be forced to accept the fact that Alynna already has her own life without him?

"
Chapter 16: The Princess in Palermo

 

The children excitedly formed a line as the nuns of the Order of Carmelites started to give free meals. These children were the less fortunate, living in streets, begging alms from the tourists, and the malnourished. Based in Via Giovanni Lanza, the nuns of the Order of Carmelites travel to Palermo very often, helping the poor and the needy by organizing soup kitchens, wholesome play activities, Bible studies, and reading and writing lessons. The children ate heartily, going back to the line once they cleaned up their plates.


Inside the convent’s kitchen, Alynna, or Selene Agnelli for others, was busy cooking cabbage soup for the kids. It was already 2 months since she joined the charity events of the Carmelite nuns, yet she still feels the excitement in waking up early every morning on weekends, looking forward to spending a day with the kind nuns and the adorable children. Alynna got used to the demanding chores required from her, and with the way the children smile whenever they eat the meals she cooks, all her efforts become worthy.


“Selene,” Sister Agnes called outside the kitchen door, “someone is asking for you.”


Alynna looked at the old nun curiously. Who will possibly look for her? It is very unlikely to be Sister Theresa or Sister Marian, or even her Uncle Fabian, for Sister Agnes would have mentioned their names.


“Did they mention who they are, sister?” she asked. Sister Agnes shook her head.


“No child, but they are insistent. Please come out. Sister Bathilde will attend to your cooking.” Sister Agnes said. Alynna nodded and removed her apron, quickly following the old nun outside.


There were many children occupying scattered seats under the shades of the trees, all of them enjoying the free meal. Some of them already know her, and one called after her as she passed.


Selene, la zuppa è deliziosa!” A child about eight years said. Alynna smiled and thanked the child for complimenting the soup before she continued on her way. Sister Agnes led her to a group of children encircling one table, and they seem to be busy with something. Alynna smiled and joined the children.


“Now children, what is going on-”


Alynna was shocked to see a man sitting in one of the chairs, his gray eyes looking straight to her.


“Selene! Cullan will tell us a story! C’mon, sit beside him so you can listen too!” A bonny five year-old girl said in Italian as she pulled her and forced her to sit in a chair beside newcomer. Alynna was extremely uncomfortable, especially upon seeing her ex-husband, but she tried her best to look normal for the sake of the children.


“Begin with the story now!” the children chorused. Cullan laughed. Alynna almost had goose bumps when she heard his voice. Again.


“All right, all right. The story goes like this…” Cullan said and then continued, “Once upon a time, there is this beautiful princess living in a far away kingdom. She is a pretty princess, with long black hair and blue eyes.”


“The princess must look like Selene.” A child commented. The others made hushing sounds. Cullan chuckled.


“Now, this princess was about to marry an ugly monster, but a prince, a very rich and very handsome prince, met the princess. He instantly fell in love with her, and he married her to save her from the ugly monster.”


“Is that the end?” a boy asked.


“No, the story does not end there! Now when the prince and princess were married, the ugly monster came back. The prince did not know about it, because he was fighting on a war on another country. The princess ran away, hiding from the monster. When the prince came back, the princess was gone. He killed the monster and searched for the princess.”


“Did he find her?” an eager girl asked. The children’s faces were hanging in suspense.


“Actually…” Cullan said, holding Alynna’s hand, “the prince found her. The prince traveled around the world, and found her in a small convent, feeding little children like you.” The man said with a smile. The children clapped their hands.


“So…did they live happily ever after?” a girl asked. The children fell silent.


“Why don’t we ask Selene what happened next?” Cullan said, never letting go of her hand. All the attention focused on her. She did not know what to say.


“Ah…”


“Did the princess come back to the prince? Did she tell him how much she loves him? The prince wants to marry her again. Did she say ‘yes’?” Cullan asked, looking straight to her eyes. Alynna felt like crying and did not realize that her tears already escaped from her eyes. He quickly wiped them off.


“Oh my. Selene was so touched with the story. Anyway, children, the princess still does not have an answer. That’s the end of the story.”


“No!” The children roared; disappointment in their faces. They made noise until Sister Agnes came.


“Time for Bible study, children! Come on now.” The nun called. The children grudgingly followed. Alynna realized that the Carmelite Sisters must have been into Cullan’s plan of surprising her.


Alynna and Cullan were left alone. The warm breeze fanned her wet cheeks. Cullan wiped the tears off, letting go of her hand so he can cup her face.


“Hello sweetheart.”


Alynna cried. She missed him so much, and she cried herself to sleep since the day she left him on their bed, sleeping soundly. She remembered kissing him on his lips, forehead, and cheeks, before murmuring a goodbye.


“Selene Agnelli sounds fine, sweetheart, but Alynna Rothschild fits you best.” Cullan said as he brushed a strand of hair off her face. “Besides, I don’t understand why you even thought of dropping my name. Why, you are carrying the name of the most coveted, former bachelor in the US.”


Alynna wept even more. Words left her as soon as she saw him. She never thought of seeing him ever again, and she just prayed to God that He gives her dreams about her husband; at least they could still be together even just in her dreams.


But here he is, flesh and blood.


And he came for her.


“How did you…find me?” Alynna asked in a whisper. Cullan held her in his arms.


“You should know that you can never escape me. I will find you wherever you hide.” Cullan answered. Alynna laughed.


“I am very happy to see you, Cullan. Please hold me even just for a minute longer…before you go.”


Cullan tightened his hold on her. Did Alynna really think that he will leave without her?


“I can hold you for all eternity, sweetheart. You’re coming with me.”


Alynna suddenly moved away from him.


“You can’t! What if " I mean…we can’t be together.” Alynna said, her voice breaking in panic. She left to avoid causing him more problems, and she will not return just to endanger him again.


“I know all about the reason why you left, Alynna. Before I came here, I made sure that your family will never cause harm to anyone of us again. Don’t worry, they’re not in jail, but I broke the merging with your father and warned them not to communicate with you ever again.” Cullan said. Alynna’s expression changed from horror to confusion.


“How did you know?”


“Your Uncle Fabian told me everything.”


“But,” Alynna persisted, “my stepmother paid for my uncle’s medication when he still has cancer, and whatever happens I owe her that-”


“Alynna, listen to me.”


Alynna stopped and looked at her husband. He took care of everything for her. Surely, he will not take her back if there is still any sign of danger?


“That debt you have on your stepmother…I paid it just after our marriage. I knew then that you came back from Rome and agreed to marry Allan Bach " and me for that matter " because Isidore had been holding your debt to her over you. When she struck you during our wedding night, I vowed to stop her and protect you, so I paid every penny she spent for your uncle. After that, it was I who sent all the succeeding money needed for your uncle’s recovery. I’m sorry if I haven’t told you this before. I just didn’t want you to feel indebted to me.” Cullan explained. Alynna was shocked. Now that she thought of it, the last time Isidore threatened her of stopping the financial support for her uncle was after their wedding. When they fought over Bella’s condition, Isidore never even mentioned her debt to her.


A long silence ensued with just the two of them staring at each other.


“Cullan…”


“Yes?”


“Will you marry me? Again? Because I am terribly in love with you.”


Cullan laughed. He planned to pop the question, but here she is, proposing to him. Alynna never failed to surprise him.


“Yes, of course.” Cullan answered, grabbing her for a long, sensual kiss that made them burn even hotter than the sun overhead. They were kissing passionately when Alynna suddenly pulled back.


“Oh my goodness. Did the children see us?”


“Do you think I care?” Cullan said jokingly, his voice raspy with desire. Alynna hit him in his shoulder.


“Cullan!”


“No, I don’t think so.” Cullan finally answered, pulling his wife behind the privacy of the stout tree and continued kissing her. Alynna’s mind went afloat. She clung to his neck as he kissed her deeply, letting her feel how much he missed her. Cullan’s hands roamed her back until he cupped her buttocks and held her against him. When Alynna started moaning, Cullan stopped kissing her.


“Where is your house?” Cullan asked in a strained voice. The sweat in his brows and the way his voice cracked told Alynna how difficult it was for Cullan not to touch her then and there. Alynna smiled and kissed him tenderly before letting go.


Following Alynna’s direction, Secretary Wood drove them to her house, and waited patiently inside the car as his boss and his wife caught up with the months they were apart.



© 2015 Nicholaa Spencer


Author's Note

Nicholaa Spencer
Thank you for reviewing Marrying A Wannabe Nun! All reviews, feedback, and suggestions are welcome, although I am requesting that your review be published after finishing my book. Marrying A Wannabe Nun is on Goodreads too, if you want to drop by and post your review.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

97 Views
Added on August 10, 2015
Last Updated on August 10, 2015
Tags: romance, love story, heartwarming, passion, love, family, pain, tragic, arranged marriage, businessman, romeo and juliet, romantic, sweet, nicholaa spencer


Author

Nicholaa Spencer
Nicholaa Spencer

About
Nicholaa Spencer is the author of the romance novel, "Marrying A Wannabe Nun". She studied Information Technology in one of the premiere technological colleges in the Philippines and then took creativ.. more..

Writing