CHAPTER 2: BEHIND THE FAMILY'S GRAND NAME

CHAPTER 2: BEHIND THE FAMILY'S GRAND NAME

A Chapter by Nicholaa Spencer
"

Alynna discovers why her estranged father wants her back.

"
Chapter 2: Behind the Family’s Grand Name

 

Cullan Rothschild felt like laughing.


He put the magazine down where his previous wife-to-be was wearing a swimsuit as thin as nothing and was sitting on her husband’s lap �" an NBA star. She was kissing �" or eating, it more looked like �" the basketball player’s face. Ha! He never even really wasted a glance at Bella Hall before, and it was a good thing she initiated the break-up of their family’s marriage plans. After all, the main goal for the merging is for the Rothschilds to cement their control over the business in the west of US, which is held by the Halls, and not to marry a s****y little model with half her body pumped with silicon.


He even knew why the Halls were too pushy on the marriage.


The slack caused by the global recession had tremendously hit the Halls, as their primary investment was on the now bankrupt Leyman Brothers. The Halls had been laying-off much of their employees, and three of their factories making microchips already shut down. The only reason why his parents, Margaret and Daniel Rothschild, approved of the merging with the Halls is that the Halls have a strong circle of partners who are very loyal to their business even if they are now close to the brink of destitution, and among them are the biggest names in the industry. This is because Marcus Hall’s late father, Edward Hall, had been named by Forbes as the best businessman in America for the century and has earned all the other businessmen’s respect. Pity that Marcus Hall cannot imitate his father’s powerful and intelligent way of winding into business. Still, the Rothschilds wanted the loyalty of the many investors who remained with Hall Enterprise even after the death of the incomparable Edward.


But now that the crowning glory of the Halls had married another man, Cullan is free. He did not care about the merging. For him, expanding the influence of their family can be attained by other means, and not by sacrificing himself to be married to a walking silicon.


“Thank you for saving me the effort, Miss Hall.” Cullan said with a triumphant smile and then threw the magazine on the waste bin. He never wanted Bella’s abnormally big b***s to clutter his desk.


*

 

Dinner is approaching and Alynna is getting more and more nervous than ever. Her simple, peach-colored dress did not help her boost her self-confidence, either. Lyn told her that the family dines together, a rare thing for rich people, but the Halls strive to keep that tradition. Dinner is promptly at seven, and she will be dining with her father and mother. Rhys, as Lyn said, is in Bahrain for a business trip. She already heard from the other servants that Bella had run away with her new husband.


She could not keep the knot on her stomach to loosen up. She was not even formally received by anyone in the family (she cannot even consider herself to be a part of that family), and now they are going to dine together as if she was living with them all this time?


At 6:50 PM, a knock came on the door. It was Lyn.


“Are you ready to go down, Miss?” Lyn asked. They have just met today but Alynna already treated her as a friend. Lyn was very grateful of her new mistress’s down-to-earth attitude, albeit Alynna’s fashion sense seemed a bit problematic. If this woman takes time pampering herself, she would make Bella look like a rag, Lyn thought.


“Yes…no. I cannot face them.” Alynna admitted. Lyn held her hand.


“You will do great. If you want, I can tell you a few things that may help.” Lyn offered. Alynna nodded.


“Now, Miss Isidore is always sneering, commanding, and her tongue lashes like a whip, if you know what I mean. So whatever she says, do not listen. They are 99.99% negative at all times. Sir Rhys is fine, you do not have to worry. Master Marcus is a silent type, and he follows everything Miss Isidore says, but the good thing is, he does not talk so vilely like Miss Isidore. Miss Bella is not here, but just for a bit of information, she is an exact copy of Miss Isidore, just 20% meaner.” Lyn rambled as they went down the hall.


Alynna listened attentively, and she decided that this is not a happy family after all. She was certain on that when she remembered Uncle Fabian’s teaching: never judge other people. Alynna murmured a short prayer for apology and asked God to be with her on her ordeal.


“We’re here. Good luck!” Lyn whispered as she opened the door to the dining room.


Alynna held her eyes on the floor, never wanting to look up. Her fear was eating her, and she cannot compel her head to look up. Posso fare questo! I can do this! Alynna shouted on her mind.


“Come here.” A deep rumbling voice said.


Alynna looked up and saw her father alone on the dining table.

Marcus Hall drastically changed. She vaguely remembered her father as a tall, handsome man with a commanding bearing, like he is the master of the house and no one can question him. As a kid, Alynna looked up on him as if he is the most powerful man alive.


But now, the handsome face remained, albeit marred with age lines. What changed is that he lost the air of superiority, and he looked tired and drawn. He is a picture of a man who lost a battle and has never moved on after that. Alynna suppressed her tears. What happened to her father to cause such change?


“Good evening, Father.”Alynna greeted, a lump forming on her throat. It was so awkward for her to call this man her ‘father’. She would have been more comfortable calling him ‘Mr. Hall’.


“Sit down.” Marcus ordered and watched as her eldest daughter occupied a seat. He never expected her daughter to be this beautiful. She was an exact copy of her mother �" her real mother. Alynna got Selena’s black hair, the blue eyes, the rosy mouth and the very white complexion. Marcus swore he was seeing a ghost when she entered the dining area, only to know that it was her daughter.


The daughter whom he gave to his brother to protect himself from remembering Selena.


Alynna was four years old when Selena died in a car crash. She was the only woman Marcus ever loved, and when she died, all her memories haunted him and he was afraid that he would go insane of missing her so much, and afraid of letting go of her at the same time. He tried everything to move on, but every time he sees Alynna, he could not help but remember how Selena would smile at him exactly how Alynna smiles, how she laughs exactly how Alynna does it, even the way they tilt their heads and walk is very much the same. Later on, Marcus cannot bear his child’s presence. The child is killing him inside out.


He was on the verge of depression when he met Isidore; the loud, obnoxious, blonde model who was considered hopeless in her craft. She was not Selena in all ways, and he thought that a woman of Selena’s exact opposite would help him survive the loss.


They were married only a few months after Selena’s death, and Isidore carried a child after a year. However, Isidore grew restless and later on complain of stomach pains every time she sees little Alynna. She was stressed whenever she looks at the child, and the doctor advised them to have Alynna out of Isidore’s sight as she is having a very delicate pregnancy due to her anorexic tendency and any stress upon her may result to a big problem. Alynna was too young to comprehend what was happening, and she was even happy when his Uncle Fabian visited and then took her away.


But Marcus knew that in his heart, he loved his daughter but he also need to separate himself from her if he wants to maintain his sanity, and so he consented on having Alynna sent away.


 

The sound of cutlery and utensils being prepared on the dining table woke Marcus up from his rendezvous to the past. Alynna was silent and unmoving, almost like a statue. She was visibly uncomfortable. So am I, Marcus thought. He really wanted to get through this ordeal and distance himself from his daughter. He was haunted by his previous wife through Alynna.


“I am sure you are wondering why I asked you to come home.” Marcus began. Alynna suddenly became alert.


“Yes, I am wondering. Uncle Fabian never said anything to me.” Alynna answered, her nervousness so obvious in her slightly shaky voice.


“I want this conversation to be quick. That is why I will tell you the reason straightforward. Hall Enterprise is close to bankruptcy, and the only way to save our family is a merging with the Rothschilds. In that line, I need you to help us by marrying their heir.” Marcus said, as he thought, I am so cruel.


Alynna could not believe what she just heard. Her father, throwing her off to an arranged marriage to save what? The family wealth? Their reputation? Their skins? Her ears were ringing in disbelief, and she felt like her head will burst. She knew that she spent almost her whole life away from him which is the reason why there never grew a father-daughter fondness, but how could he possibly ask this thing to her?


Alynna stood up.


“I am sorry, but I cannot help you with this. I cannot marry the Rothschilds’ heir. Nor anybody for that matter.” Alynna said, mustering all the courage to refuse her father.


“And why is that?” Marcus asked; his tone dangerous. Alynna was afraid, but she was determined to refuse.


“I am entering the Church as a nun; therefore I cannot give myself to anyone other than God. Buona serata.” Alynna said as she bade a good evening, forgetting that her father does not speak Italian. She made a little bow and left the dining room.


Marcus watched his daughter leave. He was a bit hurt to see the pain and betrayal on her face, but he had no choice, or rather, it was the only choice he has to take. He stared at the untouched food for a long time until Isidore’s loud voice pierced the silence in the air.


“The mud pack was so hard to remove from my face! Well, where is your daughter?” Isidore asked, pushing her cheeks upward in a gentle motion, as if massaging it. Marcus stared at his wife.


“She left a while ago.”


Isidore rolled her eyes. Just knowing that the brat is back makes her uneasy with irritation as if a fly is circling around her, begging to be swat.


“Maybe she’s not used to eating our food. Maybe her stomach is only fit to eat barrettes forever.” Isidore said and then laughed horribly.


Marcus exhaled in surrender. Barrettes? He thought that Isidore should never talk much when in front of other people.

“It’s baguettes, dear.”


*

 

She never felt so low in her life.


First, her father sent her away and never even attempted to communicate with her, and now that they were reunited, he will again send her away �" not abroad but to a marriage with no love - just to preserve his wealth.


Un matrimonio! Alynna’s mind exclaimed as she threw herself down on her bed and cried. All she ever asked in her life are peace with the people who raised her, a decent explanation from her father, and a meaningful spiritual journey as a nun. And now, what is requested �" no, commanded �" by her father is for her to marry a man she does not even know!


Alynna felt like she was just a toilet tissue that her father could just use and throw away. She was angry, disappointed, and grieving. She wished she had never come home; at least, she could have kept the better memories she had about her father, no matter how bleak they are.


She wished she had never discovered Marcus Hall’s cruelty to his own daughter.


Alynna packed her things and decided to leave Marcus Hall’s life for good.



© 2015 Nicholaa Spencer


Author's Note

Nicholaa Spencer
Thank you for reviewing Marrying A Wannabe Nun! All reviews, feedback, and suggestions are welcome, although I am requesting that your review be published after finishing my book. Marrying A Wannabe Nun is on Goodreads too, if you want to drop by and post your review.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

191 Views
Added on August 8, 2015
Last Updated on August 8, 2015
Tags: romance, love story, heartwarming, passion, love, family, pain, tragic, arranged marriage, businessman, romeo and juliet, romantic, sweet, nicholaa spencer


Author

Nicholaa Spencer
Nicholaa Spencer

About
Nicholaa Spencer is the author of the romance novel, "Marrying A Wannabe Nun". She studied Information Technology in one of the premiere technological colleges in the Philippines and then took creativ.. more..

Writing