CHAPTER 3: THE SAVIOR

CHAPTER 3: THE SAVIOR

A Chapter by Nicholaa Spencer
"

Cullan shelters a beautiful, runaway Italian woman in his place for a night, but when she left the following day, she left not only with her bags, but also with Cullan's curiosity.

"
Chapter 3: The Savior

 

Cullan slammed his phone on the windshield of his Bugatti Veyron. The last thing he wanted to hear is the sound of a whimpering woman asking him to come over. Of course, Cullan knows what does this kind of women wanted from him aside from money, and it is not something he feels to give to the charity tonight.


He was just so worn out that the comfort of his house is what he wants in the moment. He drove his car faster as he sped down the highway.

 


Alynna was almost a kilometer away from his father’s house when she felt the tingling of her hands. It was very arduous to walk in low-heeled sandals and dress while carrying two suitcases. She wished she did not bring much of her things to New York; if only she knew she would be staying just hours on her father’s house, a shoulder bag would be enough. She tried waiting for a cab, but it was already midnight and the street was deserted. She remembered that the road leading to the main highway is more or less two kilometers away from her present location, so she thought of walking to somehow divert her attention from over thinking.


She continued to walk while contemplating her next plans. She wanted to go back to Rome, but she does not have enough American dollars to pay for the ticket. She could try to use her savings, but they are all in her bank account and she wondered if she would be able to withdraw money from an Italian bank while staying in US? She could phone her uncle and ask him to send her money to buy a ticket, but will he have enough money to send ASAP?


Alynna was close to crying, though her eyes were already swelling from her previous crying episode. Why does she have to undergo such situation? What did she do to deserve such fate?


Her reverie was disturbed by the very strong scent of alcohol and a very callous hand grabbing her right arm.


“What do you want from me? Let me go!” Alynna screamed.


“Wow, an Italian babe. Wonder why you’re out here, alone?” the drunkard asked, his sour breath fanning her face. She felt the fear course through her. What do they want from her?


“Please, let me go! Somebody help me!”


“Ooohh. That’s what we want; a pleading girl. Yeah?” The other drunkard said, pulling her away from the road.


“Let me go!” Alynna shouted. She wished that someone will hear her, or someone will pass by and see her. The night was so silent, she was already sobbing as they dragged her away.


Please help me, God! Alynna prayed.


*

 

If a suitcase had not been toppled on the road, Cullan might not have noticed the two men grappling a woman at the dark side of the street. He immediately stopped his car, the blaring lights illuminating the whole scene. The men stopped struggling with the girl, but maintained their firm holds on her arms. Cullan went out of the car.


“Release her.”


“What’dya want? If you want to f**k then go get your own!” one of the drunkard said, his voice very slurred. Cullan shrugged.


“Let go of her, I said.”


“F**k off!” the other drunkard demanded, pulling out a knife. He let go of the woman’s arm and threatened Cullan.


What happened next was a blur. The two men fought, and the next was the drunkard was down and sleeping on the pavement. His companion released the woman and threw a fist on Cullan, but Cullan boxed him straight to his face and he fell down. The woman cowered in the corner.


“Are you alright?” Cullan asked, surveying the woman who cannot even lift her head up.


“I can take you to the hospital if you are hurt.”


At that moment, the woman lifted her head.


She was the most exquisite woman Cullan has ever seen.


Her long, jet-black, curly hair was shining in the car’s light, and her very white complexion told him she is as smooth and fragile as a lily. Her big blue eyes are staring so innocently at him, her lashes wet with tears. Her cheeks are the shade of a pink rose, and her lips…he could not even think of anything rational when he saw them.


“I am fine. Thank you for saving me.” The woman said.


Cullan’s first thought was: Italian. When she spoke, she revealed small, even, cat-like teeth, and her accent was very much Italian, albeit moderated by an American accent. Her frail body shivered in the cold, and Cullan noticed how thin her dress was. He offered her his black coat.


“Please wear this.” He said. The woman shyly accepted it and wore it over her shoulders.


“My name is Alynna Hall. Thank you very much for coming to my aid. I did not intend to cause you the disturbance, and I am really sorry.”

Cullan was fascinated. So ‘Alynna Hall’ is her name. Is she, by any chance, related to Marcus Hall? Cullan thought. But then, Marcus Hall has only one model of a daughter.


“Cullan. Are you going home? I can drop you off.” Cullan offered as he helped her gather her suitcases.


“It’s…it’s a long story. Thank you for the offer. I am very grateful. If it is not much to ask, can you please drop me off to the nearest subway?” Alynna asked; her cheeks glowing in embarrassment. Cullan looked at her questioningly.


“Don’t you have a place to stay?” he asked. The woman tilted her head to her side. It was a very seductive yet charming move, and what appealed most to Cullan was that he was sure it was not a deliberate move.


“I…I ran away.” Alynna answered. Cullan laughed.


“You are too old to pull that kind of prank. C’mon, let’s get you back home.” Cullan chided as he put her bags inside his car.


“I can’t go back there.” Alynna pleaded, touching Cullan’s muscular and warm arm. Cullan reacted in a way he would never want the gentle woman to know. Damn, she looked so innocent it almost felt like a sin to have the kind of ideas now forming in his mind.


“And why is that?” Cullan asked, not removing her soft hands off him.


“My father wants me to marry someone I never even met.” Alynna answered. Cullan walked her to the car. Once they were safe and warm inside, he continued their conversation.


“Ah, the typical television drama. Why does he want to marry you off?”


Alynna considered the helpful man named ‘Cullan’. If he is not a man to trust to, he should have done something horrible to her. Instead, he saved her, gave her his coat and the warmth of his car, and also offered her a ride. At least, the man deserves answers.


“I do not know much about it, but my father said he needs my help to save the business, and I can do that by marrying a man I never even met in my whole life.” Alynna said. Cullan was quiet for a while until he burst out laughing.


“Was that funny to you?” Alynna asked in a slightly annoyed tone it emphasized her Italian accent. Cullan chuckled.


“Why, that is common to rich people, I am not really surprised. Maybe your dad’s on the brink of bankruptcy, or he just wants to widen his connections �" in short, make more money and that is out of you. That is rich men’s daughters’ primary role.” Cullan said. Alynna’s eyes welled with tears.


“You put it so cruelly.” Alynna said, wiping her tears away. Cullan looked at her pitifully. He was laughing, but inside he was boiling in anger. How could a man trade his obviously innocent daughter for money?


“You know, I was on the same position where you are right now, but the bi �" I mean the woman I was about to marry ran off and married an NBA star. Wasn’t I lucky?” Cullan said, hoping to let Alynna know that she was not alone.


“Were you happy that the marriage was off?” Alynna asked with interest.


“Absolutely.”


“Was there anyone special waiting for you?”


Cullan looked at her directly when she asked that question. Was there anyone? None that he knew of. But if a woman as beautiful and innocent as her is the one waiting for him, that will not be possible.


He would never make her wait.


“No one.” Cullan finally answered. Somehow, he was confident that she did not ask that to flirt with him. If only she were doing the opposite. At least, he would know how to proceed.


“How about you? Don’t you want to marry the unknown guy because you already have someone?” Cullan asked. Alynna looked up and stared at the night dreamily.


“Yes, in fact I do have one waiting for me.”


Cullan’s mood suddenly blackened.


“I have God.”


What?! Cullan thought. So all this time, he was half-lusting for a nun?


“Haha, I know it may seem funny to you, but I cannot imagine myself marrying anyone. Once I’m back in Italy, I will start my journey as a nun.” Alynna said, her eyes wide with inspiration.


Cullan was half-thankful. She is not a nun. Yet.


But on the other half, Cullan was disappointed. Such a waste of her unique beauty if she will enter the convent. Hell, all men will offer their arm to the devil just to get a chance with her.


“You are quiet.” Alynna said. Cullan cleared his throat.


“Uhm…it was just heavy. You know, the God thing. You said, ‘when you’re back in Italy’?”


“Oh, about that. I was raised by my uncle, Father Fabian. He is a parish priest in Italy. I lived there since I was five, and this is my first homecoming. At least, if I can call America my ‘home’. I want to go back to Rome as soon as possible, but…”


“But?”


“I don’t have any money.”


“It’s okay if you want to stay at my place even just for tonight, while you plan on how to go back to Italy. You know, subways during the night are excellent places for crimes.” Cullan offered, lightening his voice to not scare her with his explanation. He quickly saw the hesitation in Alynna’s eyes.


“Don’t worry, I will not do anything to you.” Cullan assured her. Alynna smiled so sweetly and nodded so trustingly that Cullan suddenly had doubts himself.


“I know.”


*

 

Cullan cannot sleep that night. He tossed and turned, and as much as he did not want to admit it, being in close proximity of the woman he just “rescued” makes him very uncomfortable. This is the first time that he did not have sex with a woman he brought home, and playing the role of the kind gentleman was very difficult for him. He should have given her a room far from his, not next to his.


Hell, he is much more of the big bad wolf, and the difficulty he was feeling in this situation was like telling the big bad wolf to graze outside instead of making Little Red Riding Hood’s grandma his lunch.


Cullan stood up from his bed and stretched his taut muscles. He took three gulps of brandy straight from the bottle, thinking: What the f**k am I doing?


*

 

“That is why…I want to come home. I need to be home.” Alynna said in a low voice over the telephone as she told everything that had happened to Father Fabian. Her uncle was very worried when he learned of what Marcus has in store for his daughter, and as much as Father Fabian hated to think about it, his first reaction about his brother’s actions was so sinful he needed to confess later.


“The problem is, I don’t have any money, Uncle. I have a few dollars, not even enough for a cab. I am so scared.” Alynna continued, unable to suppress her tears any longer. Being strong in front of Cullan was one thing, but hearing her uncle’s fatherly voice cracked her failing façade. She just needed the comfort she grew upon.


“I can send you enough money to be able to come home, bambina, but it may take until tomorrow. I still need to go to the bank to get it for you. If you ran away penniless, where are you staying? Are you safe?” Father Fabian asked. He felt helpless thinking that he could not do anything to protect his niece as of the moment.


“I am fine, Uncle. Someone kind-hearted helped me. His name is Cullan. He gladly offered me a place to stay tonight. I am very thankful. He is an angel sent to help me.”


Father Fabian worried about her niece. Alynna is such a naïve young woman, and that is not so unusual especially when the child grew in a convent and was raised by an uncle who is a priest, and her immediate family are the nuns and members of the clergy. Somehow, Father Fabian was not very comfortable on the way Alynna trusts other people as if she had never heard of the terms “thief”, “rapist”, or “killer” in her life before.


“I know I should be thankful to him, but America is…different from Rome.” Father Fabian said, concealing his worry and warning tactfully. Alynna understood.


“He is very kind, Uncle. I am sure I am safe but do not worry, I will be very careful. I am sorry for all I am putting you through. I will make it up to you as soon as I am back home.”


“You don’t have to say it, bambina. Sisters Marian and Theresa are sending their love and prayers to you.”


“Thank you Uncle. Please send them my regards and prayers too.”


“Alright. I will call you tomorrow around noon to inform you of the money I will be sending.”


“I don’t know what to say Uncle, except thank you.” Alynna said in a whisper, as her voice gave her tears away. Father Fabian made cooing sounds to comfort her, as he always did since she was a little girl.


“Hush now…everything will be alright. God will always make a way.”


*

 

Alynna woke up early in the morning only to find that she was alone in the very big house. The silence around her was deafening that all she could do was to call out for anyone.


“Good morning! Is anyone home?” Alynna called out as she looked in the living room for any sign of Cullan. None. Strange, but she was almost hoping that she could share a hearty breakfast with him. She was even planning of making a nice Italian-style breakfast as a symbol of her gratitude.


Realizing that maybe Cullan is a busy type of person and had probably gone to work, Alynna took the liberty of making a breakfast for herself. She only saw sliced bread and coffee on the cupboards, and TV dinner in the refrigerator. She was dismayed.


“Cullan will never live a long life with a diet like this.” She murmured to herself.


Doing her best to make a decent meal to last her until midday, Alynna made herself a café e latte and toast. She suddenly wished she could add jam or butter, or even fette biscottate, but that was all Cullan’s kitchen can offer. What more can she expect in a bachelor’s place?

Alynna brought the food on the kitchen counter and began her silent meal. She contemplated on what should she do while waiting for Uncle Fabian’s call, and what to do after that.


She noticed a small envelope at the corner of the counter with small, neat handwriting on it.


 

Alynna,


Had to rush for work. I know there isn’t anything edible in my house, so feel free to use the money inside this envelope and dine outside.


Cullan


PS. I bought you a plane ticket and left a couple of bucks. Just in case you want to go home now.

 


Alynna was speechless. He did what?


Alynna tore open the envelope and sure enough, there was the money (he left her 500 dollars!) and the plane ticket to Rome. The scheduled flight was 3 PM today. She stared at the ticket, open mouthed. Is this for real?


It took her almost half an hour to process what had happened. Her first thought was to call Uncle Fabian and inform him of the money Cullan gave her, but then she thought otherwise. She did not want her uncle to be suspicious of any way of Cullan’s generosity and kindness. Alynna decided to wait for the money from Uncle Fabian, so she can leave it on the envelope as her payment to Cullan. She might never meet him again, so she could not leave him with a debt as big as this. At least, she can pay her uncle anytime when she’s home.


While waiting to hear from her uncle, Alynna decided to thank Cullan by cooking a proper meal for him, which he can eat when he arrives.

Using the money he left, Alynna went out and shopped for food supplies.


*

 

Isidore was sure that her new botox would need to be redone after this conversation, as her wrinkles are appearing full blast it was horrifying to look in the mirror on Marcus’ office.


“She was our last chance! Why did you let her leave?” Isidore asked, almost screaming. Marcus swore just as loud.


“How would I know she will do this? She has no one here in US but us! She could not have gone anywhere!” Marcus answered. Isidore said the “F” word to him that he was taken aback.


“Now Isidore…watch your language…”


“YOU watch your daughter!”


Marcus fully understood why Isidore was close to being hysterical. His daughter, their only chance of their survival, is gone. Did she fly back to Rome? If yes, then there is only a very slight chance that she will ever return to do her ‘duty’ for the family.


Who will do the merging for them?


Marcus watched as his wife paced back and forth in the office so fast that he was sure his Persian rug will have little holes from the pointy heels of her stilettos. He was about to tell her off when she suddenly stopped her dizzying pace.


“I cannot think of anything else to bring her back! Marcus, do something!”


*

 

Had to rush for work? Cullan thought as he pushed the tower of folders away from him. He even gave his secretary a mini-heart attack when she saw that he arrived earlier than usual.


In fact, he did not need to rush for work, and he never did, for that matter, but he needed to rush away from Alynna or else, his chivalry will just collapse. Why, he did not even have a second of sleep, knowing that she was just doors away from him. Cullan even convinced himself that Alynna put a spell over him, or some kind of a voodoo thing, to make him this attracted to her. All his life he thought he prefer beach blondes with tanned skin and electric pink lips, but he discovered that he much like black-haired maidens with striking blue eyes and pearly white skin. He was so consumed with thoughts of his lovely “guest” that he was uncomfortable, like he was back to middle school and tripping on his feet to catch a glimpse of the school queen.


Like he ever tripped just seeing the school queen before.


It was the lack of sleep, Cullan said to himself angrily. Yes, he should have caught some sleep last night, if only his unruly mind did not wander relentlessly to the room next to him. He did not really picture obscene scenes in his mind; rather, he worried that Alynna may not be comfortable enough.


Anyway, you will be back to normal this evening, since the woman of your fantasies will soon be gone, Cullan’s mind told him.


*

 

By noon, Alynna had finished preparing a sumptuous Italian meal for her kind savior. She prepared traditional lunch and dinner for Cullan, hoping that he will get just in time for dinner. She used all of her cooking prowess to make the food perfect: For lunch, she prepared Grilled Pepper Panzanella, Spinach Pesto, and Arugula salad. She also juiced lemons and made an all-natural lemonade which she cooled in the fridge.


For dinner, which she prepared alongside lunch, Alynna made Goat Cheese Sandwiches and Tomato Panini. She also prepared Sausage and Eggplant Parmigiano Pizza which were already sliced and all Cullan has to do is to heat it in the microwave oven when he is ready to eat it.


Alynna did not forget to buy fresh fruits, which she stacked in the center of the table.


She also did not forget to put money on an envelope, which she positioned on the top of the kitchen counter where Cullan previously put his envelope for her.


Before leaving, Alynna wrote a letter for Cullan, which she put inside the envelope with money.


 

Dear Cullan,

 

Thank you so much for all your help. I don’t know where will I be now if it were not for you. I used the money you left to buy food supplies for your house, and I will also be using the ticket you bought for me. I tried my best to pay you from the money that my uncle had sent, but it was not enough. I will be saving my money in Rome so I can pay you fully. I wrote down your home address so I can send it to you.


I took the liberty of preparing your lunch and dinner. As I do not have an idea on what time you will be home, please just reheat the food when you want to eat them.


I will always be praying to God to help and protect you as how you have done for me.


Il tuo nuovo amico,

Alynna


 

Alynna took one last glimpse on the house that had been her refuge, and bade a silent goodbye to its owner.


At exactly three in the afternoon, the plane bound to Rome took off.



© 2015 Nicholaa Spencer


Author's Note

Nicholaa Spencer
Thank you for reviewing Marrying A Wannabe Nun! All reviews, feedback, and suggestions are welcome, although I am requesting that your review be published after finishing my book. Marrying A Wannabe Nun is on Goodreads too, if you want to drop by and post your review.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

210 Views
Added on August 8, 2015
Last Updated on August 8, 2015
Tags: romance, love story, heartwarming, passion, love, family, pain, tragic, arranged marriage, businessman, romeo and juliet, romantic, sweet, nicholaa spencer


Author

Nicholaa Spencer
Nicholaa Spencer

About
Nicholaa Spencer is the author of the romance novel, "Marrying A Wannabe Nun". She studied Information Technology in one of the premiere technological colleges in the Philippines and then took creativ.. more..

Writing