CHAPTER 9: THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

CHAPTER 9: THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

A Chapter by Nicholaa Spencer
"

Alynna discovers who the woman Cullan was with during their honeymoon in Malibu. A high society party goes wrong, brothers-in-law fight, and a bitter truth reveals itself. Can they survive the night?

"
Chapter 9: The Truth Shall Set You Free

 

“Your mother is inviting us to a masquerade ball, much like their anniversary party. Would you like to come?” Cullan asked one night as he handed the elaborately designed invitation to Alynna. They were only a few days back from their trip in Paris, but Cullan was already busy with his work. Alynna often remained in Cullan’s big house, reading in his library, knitting, cooking Italian meals and decorating their new room.


“I am not sure I am wanted there.” Alynna replied in a hesitant tone. Cullan held her hand.


“This ball will be three days from now, sweetheart. You don’t have to decide now.”


Alynna smiled at her husband. Since their honeymoon trip in Paris, she and Cullan became closer than ever. Holding hands, hugs, and kisses felt perfectly normal for her, and she dropped all her inhibitions about those intimacies when she felt Cullan’s sincerity toward her. Alynna viewed their marriage as a temporary paradise. If she will lead a nun’s life soon, she might as well save the best memories of being a normal woman. She did not want to have any regrets, which she will have to live through for more years to come.


“Cullan.” Alynna called out as she watched him enter the bathroom with his sexy body bare all over, except for that part somewhere in his middle that he covered with a small towel. Cullan turned his back to her.


“Yes?”


“Have I ever told you that you are a very handsome man?”


Cullan’s hearty laugh suggested that he really did not believe her, and for that, Alynna gave him an angry expression.


“Sweetheart, if you want to join me in my steamy hot bath, you’re free to jump in.” Cullan said in a very confident and sexy voice. Alynna blushed.


“You know I didn’t mean that-”


Alynna was cut off when Cullan closed the bathroom door, his chuckles echoing around the room. Alynna weakly smiled. She cannot believe how dirty a man’s thoughts can be.


 

“What is your favorite color?” Alynna asked.


It was already late at night but Alynna and Cullan were still up, lying side by side on the very wide bed. The only sources of light are the lampshades, bathing them with a soft, warm, yellow glow. Unlike other newlyweds who would have been busy pleasuring each other during this time of night, Alynna and Cullan were doing every night what they call, ‘monkey interview’ where only stupid questions should be asked. It was their way to bond with each other, all the while lessening the personal questions since by experience, that always lead them to a burning fit of passion " something they try their best to avoid.


“Cobalt blue. The color of your eyes.” Cullan answered. Alynna smiled.


“My turn. Which part of a male’s body are you most curious about?” Cullan asked. Alynna took a long moment to answer. She pictured a man’s body, but all she can see is her husband’s.


“The stomach, because of the way it tightens whenever you " I mean whenever a man kisses a woman, and why a trail of hair grows down from it.”


Cullan laughed at her answer. If only she knew better, her answer was somewhat already a green light for a guy.


“What’s funny?” Alynna irritably asked. Cullan shook his head.


“Your turn.” Cullan prompted her. Alynna took a deep breath.


“If we’re going to the masquerade ball, which color of a gown would you like me to wear?”


Cullan almost did not believe her question at first.


“Gold. What made you change your mind?” Cullan asked.


“That’s not really a ‘monkey interview’ question.” Alynna countered.

“Just answer it.”


“Alright,” Alynna began. “I realized that you will be there with me so I have nothing to be afraid of.”


*

 

“Mom! What the hell is she doing here?” Bella whispered angrily to Isidore as they prepared to go down the grand staircase, only to spot Alynna below in a magnificent gold dress, smiling prettily to everyone while Cullan’s arm was wrapped on her slim waist. They cannot be mistaken; even with the bejeweled mask, that distinctive long, curly black hair can only be Alynna’s, and she is outshining everyone. The masquerade party was for Bella’s success in being hailed as ‘2013’s Most Beautiful Model in the World’, and who will ruin her night, but her darling sister who has been stealing her spotlight ever since she married Cullan Rothschild?


“Now dear, you know my deal with her husband, so keep that pretty smile and be gracious enough to her. This need not take long. We just need her presence here for a while.” Isidore whispered back.


“I am not a part of that stupid deal, Mom. I will show that b***h who owns the stage.” Bella said, ignoring her mother’s advice. She straightened her stance, making sure that the side slit of her bloody red gown will show off her long, lean legs, the slit almost reaching her hips. She put on her mask.


The sultry music played and the mother and daughter duo walked slowly down the staircase, with Isidore leaving the mask out. The guests clapped their hands, including Alynna.


The woman in red must be my sister Bella, Alynna thought. She and Cullan had just known minutes after they arrived at the Hall mansion that the ‘surprise’ party was for Bella and not for her father and Isidore’s anniversary. She noticed that Cullan was a little strained when he discovered to whom the party was for, but how can he not? Alynna already knew that her husband is not into parties for celebrities. He is more into corporate and business gatherings.


Everyone watched as the supermodel walked down from the grand staircase, her hips swaying in rhythm with the music from the violinists. She looked spectacular, like a goddess exuding great amount of beauty. The large spotlight followed her, and everyone else was dimmed by her moment of glory.


“Thank you so much for coming. It is a great pleasure for me to share my happiness with you all.” Bella said, holding the microphone. Isidore was so proud of her daughter that she threw boastful looks all around which can only mean, ‘do you have a daughter like mine?’


After Bella’s speech, the people broke into random talks and circles, drinking merrily. Most of the guests are from show business, including numerous celebrities, models and socialites. Bella’s best friends are present, including a young singer who always sticks her tongue out, a redhead actress who Alynna once saw in a movie trailer portraying the glamorous life of a late Hollywood’s Golden Age star, and a dark-skinned, British supermodel notorious for her diva attitude. They flocked at the center of the ballroom, their dresses competing for the title, ‘highest-slit-it-is-better-not-to-have-worn-a-dress-at-all’. Alynna wondered whose dress will win.


“Cullan honey, I’m so glad you made it.” Bella said as she suddenly appeared in front of Cullan and Alynna. Cullan removed his mask and politely inclined his head.


“This is Alynna Rothschild, my wife.” Cullan introduced.


“My sister?” Bella asked in a feigned innocent voice, turning to face Alynna.


Alynna is watching Cullan and Bella as if she was watching a TV show. It was still early but she already felt lightheaded. The atmosphere of glamour and stardom intimidated her, and the only familiar thing she had is her husband. She did not know that Cullan and Bella are on first-name basis, but is that surprising? Rich people know rich people.


Alynna smiled and took her mask off.


“Congratulations. You are stunning.” Alynna greeted. Bella laughed.


“Sweetie, you haven’t even seen my face yet!” Bella said in an unbelieving tone and removed her mask.


Alynna gasped.


“You…”


“Surprised much, sweetling? By the way, I had the pleasure of meeting your husband before, in their private island in Malibu. He was so accommodating, as I am very sure you well know. I would have greeted you first before your husband, but it’s my eyes, you know. They can only see fabulous people.” Bella continued, her cruel smile marring her immaculate lips.


“Watch it, Bella.” Cullan interjected. He can feel Alynna’s hand trembling in his. They need to get out of there so he can begin explaining himself as soon as possible. Damn you, Isidore, Cullan thought.


“Watch what, dear brother-in-law? Anyway, you did a very great job making my sister here look okay. High fashion really makes an eye sore look like an eye candy. Who designed that, darling? Givenchy? Ralph Lauren? Lucky you, hubby here can afford them all.”


Alynna had enough. She forcefully removed her hand from Cullan’s grasp and ran from the ballroom. How could he take her to the party of the woman he had been kissing with during their honeymoon?


And for goodness’ sake, it was her sister!


Alynna’s vision was blurred by her tears, and everyone stared open mouthed at her, but she did not care. She only needed to get away-


She stumbled when she hit a wall, but then it was not a wall, but the chest of a man who was trying to get hold of her and calm her.


“Let me go!”


“Alynna, please! Calm down!” the man said, holding her shoulders so she does not fall on her face. Alynna looked up.


“R-Rhys?”


“Yeah, good for you to remember me. What happened?”


“Bella and…and Cullan…they k-kissed…”


“ALYNNA!”


Alynna gasped and tried to run again when she heard Cullan’s booming voice. Rhys held her up and gave her his car key.


“The blue Maserati Spyder at the parking lot. Stay there.” Rhys said and forced her to continue running. Cullan was after her, but Rhys blocked his path.


“Excuse me, I need to-”


Rhys punched Cullan’s face.


“What the-”


“What the hell, man?! Got a thing for my sisters?” Rhys asked angrily. He pulled Cullan up and landed another blow on his head. Cullan swayed but stayed upright as he wiped the blood off his lips. He would love to break Rhys’ nose, but thought otherwise. His wife will surely not like that.


More guests are now flocking around them, watching the scene unfolding. Cullan was getting desperate. At this rate, Alynna would have gone far now.


“I have no time to explain to you! Stay out of this!” Cullan answered, his own anger rising. All he needed to talk to is his wife " who is now out of his sight. Where is she?


“You. F*****g. A*****e!” Rhys shouted, preparing to break Cullan’s nose.


“Rhys!”


The two men fighting looked back to see Bella running toward them. Rhys hit Cullan very hard and the latter fell to the ground. Bella hurriedly helped Cullan to sit up, but Cullan brushed her away.


“How dare you do this to Alynna, Rothschild!” Rhys said angrily, flexing his knuckles for another blow.


“Stop it!” Bella screamed as she offered her handkerchief to Cullan. He did not accept it.


“Rhys…this whole thing…is a misunderstanding. Please, move away. I need to talk to her!” Cullan said patiently, his left hand pressing on his lips to stop the bleeding. Rhys swore and punched him again. Cullan stumbled back to the ground, his face a little bloody from the numerous cuts. Everyone gasped but no one dared to intervene.


“And you”, Rhys said, pointing to Bella, “You have always been our perfect disgrace.”


Bella was stunned to hear her brother tell her those harsh words, and she did nothing but watch him walk hurriedly away. Cullan stirred and tried to stand up.


“Cullan, you’re hurt! Let me-”


“Stop bothering me!” Cullan said irately to Bella, his eyes brooding in anger. How could this woman be so harsh to her own sister?


“I am only concerned about you.” Bella pleaded, trying to wipe off the blood from Cullan’s face. Cullan took a step back. The woman was already close to crying. Cullan looked at her intently. If not for her bitchiness, Alynna would never have turned from him. Hell, Alynna’s reaction hurt him far more than Rhys’ punches.


“Bella.” He murmured softly. Bella looked a little hopeful with his kinder tone.


“Yes, Cullan?”


“You cannot possibly understand how much f**k I do not give you.”


*

 

Alynna drove away silently with Rhys, each occupied in their own thoughts until they reached a 24-hour coffee shop. Rhys pulled over the parking lot and waited for a few minutes before talking to her.


“Are you feeling better now?” he asked. Alynna sniffed.


“Yes, thank you.”


“Just for a head’s up,” Rhys said, “your husband will have a few…bruises. We, uhm…had a word.” He said. Alynna remained silent, but her mind was in turmoil. Was he badly hurt? Who is tending to him now?


Your sister of course, a voice in her mind said. Her eyes turned watery again.


“You know, it’s tested and proven that cappuccino lessens the effects of bad emotions.” Rhys shared as he passed a tissue to his crying sister. Alynna gratefully accepted it and dried her eyes and cheeks.


“Since we are here in my favorite coffee shop now, we might as well stroll in and grab you a cappuccino, don’t we?”


Alynna looked at Rhys’ face. He looked much like their father, Marcus, but Rhys’ bright eyes and friendly smile made all the difference. He is a kind person.


“I left my purse at the ballroom-”


“No worries, the lady bartender inside has a big crush on me, so a free cup wouldn’t be so hard to ask. Also, I am always getting my refills for free.” Rhys said in a voice just above a whisper, as if the bartender could actually hear him spill a crucial secret. Alynna smiled and gave a little laugh.


“Alright then.” Alynna replied.


“But I need to ask you one thing before we enter the coffee shop, sister.”


“What is it?”


“Don’t cry inside please? I don’t want the beautiful women who might see us to think that I am the reason of your distress. It’s not my style. I’m much more of the suave, modern, knight in shining sports car. I am so into maintaining that image and...ehem. Swagger.” Rhys said jokingly, and Alynna could not help but laugh aloud.


 

Alynna was grateful of Rhys’ company. His stories are light, intended to ease her pain even just for a little. He did not talk about anything that will make her feel even more helpless or wronged; Rhys tried his best to make her feel better by letting her know that he did not pity her.

He was silently waiting for her to stand again all by herself, to save her pride.


“We were on the F1 race last 2012 at Austin, and we were busy preparing our cars in our pits when I was shocked when the announcer suddenly said that the ‘beautiful, captivating supermodel Bella Hall is at the sides to watch his brother race and there she was, wearing only a skimpy black tights and a studded red bra! And guess what banner she was waving?”


“What?” Alynna asked in suspense. Rhys sipped his cappuccino loudly before answering.


“Damn, she’s waving a banner for McLaren-Mercedes, though I was racing for Ferrari! What the hell was that?!” Rhys boomed, shrugging his shoulders as if she could not expect more from his other sister. Alynna chuckled.


“She must have been confused.”


“Nah, she wasn’t, because she was into fling then with the McLaren-Mercedes racer. I guess she can’t choose sides that is why she’s waving the opponent’s banner while screaming, ‘go brotha’! Bella has been like that since eternity, and with the friends she’s keeping, she might as well end up wasted like them.” Rhys said. Alynna stared at him. She knew that however annoyed Rhys could be to Bella, he will still care about her. After all, they are the real siblings.


“I care for her too, but there is this feeling inside me that wants to rip off her pretty smile when she showed her face to me. I mean, that is bad, isn’t it? But the feeling will not go away. I feel worse about my actions. I should have never…I should have never got angry.” Alynna said, dropping the walls around her. Rhys exhaled loudly. Being on the borderline of martyrdom and stupidity is one of the repercussions of being raised by a man of the church.


“That’s normal. She kissed your husband. I will talk to her when I get home. She couldn’t get away with this; not this time.” Rhys murmured comfortingly. Alynna smiled in gratitude.


“You know, I was wondering if you two fought in the ballroom, like an ‘America’s Next Top Model’ catfight.” Rhys asked. Alynna’s reaction was pure horror.


“We didn’t! I " I ran away.”


“Really? I will perfectly understand if you slapped her.” Rhys teased. Alynna shook her head.


“I cannot do that. No matter how cruel people can be, I will not fight. It is a sin to create quarrels, and if I am stoned, I will give them bread.” Alynna explained. Rhys rolled his eyes in exasperation. She was just too kind for her own good.


“The reason why Bella did what she did to you in the ballroom is because she knows you do not have any fight in you. For all she knows, you could have listened to all her taunts the whole evening without even raising a finger to her. Why don’t you try standing and fighting for yourself one time? Someone needs to teach the brat a lesson.” Rhys said fervently. Alynna could not think of that. She cannot sin. Not in her whole lifetime. How will she become a good nun?


“You should try to swear sometime. It is a great stress reliever. My personal favorites are dickface, jackass, douchebag, peckerhead, schlong lover-” Rhys stopped his string of swear words when he saw how uncomfortable his sister was.


“Forget that I said that. Anyway, what I wanted to say was aside from Bella, you should also stand for your right against your jerk of a husband.”


Alynna’s eyes widened. Did he just say ‘jerk’?


“When you get home and Rothschild tries to apologize, tell him to get a rope and hang himself, or better yet, tell him to take good care of his eyes, because they’re the only balls he was ever born with.” Rhys suggested. Alynna’s face only showed shocked. How can she ever let those words slip from her mouth? Her brother laughed.


“Yeah, yeah, I know you’re too good for those. Just have a good and long sleep tonight, and let your emotions cool down before you let him talk to you. You’ll sort this all out, I’m sure, and trust me when I say that I will be having a word with Bella.”


“Thank you so much, Rhys. I am grateful to have a brother like you.” Alynna said, holding his hands with both hers. Rhys smiled handsomely.


“One more thing, sis.”


“What is it?”


“Don’t you try throwing bread ever again to Bella when she throws stones at you.”


“Why?”


“Because”, Rhys said, winking on the lady bartender, “She’s on a diet. Try giving her stone some other time. That won’t make her fat.”


*

 

Cullan waited up until he saw from the window that a blue Maserati Spyder had stopped by their home. He saw Rhys went out of the car and opened the car door for Alynna. They seemed to have a good time, as they were both laughing. Cullan’s hands shook. His brother-in-law broke his upper lip and wounded him under his left eye. Added to that are bruises on his face, and scrapes on his arms that he got when he fell down a few times. Cullan winced. He thought that the b*****d is a racer; he should have been a pro wrestler.


Cullan opened the door and waited for Alynna to come in. When she arrived at the doorway, she did not even spare him a glance.


“Alynna, I-”


“Good evening, Cullan. I am sure you will apologize. Thank you, but no thank you. I am surprised that you managed to get home in that condition. Who drove you home? Oh, why am I even asking? I am sure you had a good time with my sister. Is she here? I must sleep in the guest room then, or better yet, why don’t I just pack my things and go back to Italy? At least there, people don’t lie to me.” Alynna said continuously, not even giving Cullan a second to answer. He sighed. Here is he now, trying to reason out with a scorned wife, and he can’t even find a second to talk.


But then, she does have a good reason to be scorned, isn’t she?

“About the party…” Cullan started.


“Yes! Now that we are there, how does it feel to make your unknowing wife come to a party of the woman you kissed during your honeymoon? Did you feel happy when you saw my reaction when she revealed her face? Did you two laugh at my stupidity? Oh, I am sure you did! Nothing should be more hilarious than that! Why would anyone even try to be kind to an eyesore? I am sure that must be impossible for-”


“Stop that, Alynna.” Cullan said calmly, cutting her off. He wished she would face him, but he can only see her back, her shoulders trembling in anger.


“Don’t stop me! Did I stop you when you were bent on the desk, busy kissing her? Did I ever tell you to stop?! I didn’t, did I? So don’t tell me what to do now. You have no right over me.” Alynna shouted, finally facing him. Tears streamed down her face. Cullan wished he could wipe them off, but he knew that what his wife needed now is to release all her pent-up anger.


“I am sorry.” Cullan said. He knew that even if he explains that he did not mean for Alynna to meet Bella, his reasoning will only fall on deaf ears. Either way, he cannot keep that as a secret forever, and that was his bigger fault.


“I am sorry…I am so sorry for myself, because I married a jerk.” Alynna said in a calm voice before going up to the bedroom. She locked the door.


When Cullan heard the bolt shut, he punched the wall with his fist. He wished she could have continued screaming, rather than talking in a soft voice, telling him how sorry she was to marry him.


“She called me a jerk.” Cullan murmured and laughed forcedly. He never expected Alynna to say such a word, but then there is a saying: court a devil’s wrath, but not the wrath of a woman scorned.


Cullan went to the guest room to spend the night, realizing that this is the first time since the first days of their marriage that he will be sleeping alone again.


He discovered that he is now not used on not having her beside him.


“What did I do?” Cullan asked himself in a painful voice before drifting off to sleep.



© 2015 Nicholaa Spencer


Author's Note

Nicholaa Spencer
Thank you for reviewing Marrying A Wannabe Nun! All reviews, feedback, and suggestions are welcome, although I am requesting that your review be published after finishing my book. Marrying A Wannabe Nun is on Goodreads too, if you want to drop by and post your review.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
Added on August 10, 2015
Last Updated on August 10, 2015
Tags: romance, love story, heartwarming, passion, love, family, pain, tragic, arranged marriage, businessman, romeo and juliet, romantic, sweet, nicholaa spencer


Author

Nicholaa Spencer
Nicholaa Spencer

About
Nicholaa Spencer is the author of the romance novel, "Marrying A Wannabe Nun". She studied Information Technology in one of the premiere technological colleges in the Philippines and then took creativ.. more..

Writing