Chapter 25

Chapter 25

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 25



Syneral’s Tomas and Arken were true to their word as they blew the whistle around the camp, calling in their groups around the campfire. The flag was posted quarters drawn and secured by each group that night by their Captions. They could all feel the uneasiness in the air as the tension grew towards the north of the mountains as the lightning strikes and smoke rises. They knew what was happening to the other towns as the earth rumbles beneath them. No one slept well that night as they waited for the crack of dawn for they knew it well. Now for them, it was just a matter of time before they too will see for themselves the devastation that lays ahead of them.


Margaret off in woods by herself alone as she wept for them as anger filled her heart looking to the north.  She could not sit idly by and wait as the fire flows through her with such rage. She summons her staff of white flame climbed on her horse as they leaped into the air. Jaydan watching her go and hangs his head knowing she must do this for it was her task, not his.


Yet the cost is too great as he looks at the camp that she has left behind unprotected this time. Knowing there will be a time unlike now when she must choose and weigh the options. His heart was heavy as he walked the camp knowing he must leave them, so their journey can begin. He tries to smile and as he walks about the camp watching the young children run about the fields in play in laughter. So much has been lost as he looks at the ruins of the small town of Springfield and the broken road. Yet more will be gained along the way for some, but others, as he looks at people individually, will drift away.



* * * * *

 


A loud scream was heard with a burst of light over the mountain as people of Springfield turn to shield their eyes. Margaret charged in with such force and rage down upon the small town of Genly, with her sword in hand, she fought a Dark Knight and their riders in the sky. She turned suddenly towards another with eyes blazing with hard cold steel.


Margaret leaped cress crossing the street. Killing the minions in her path, Yelled at the people. “Run to safety!” Lightning struck the house where they stood, large boulders falling off the mountain as if being tossed. One house was smashed with a family still inside screams.


Margaret tries to raise the shield, but a knight struck her as she fell to her knees, the family perished. Margaret lashed out with anger as she kills with such verger striking the knight as his head rolls off his shoulders. Again Margaret tries to raise the shield of glass as an arrow pierces her shoulder. This time she did it as she now surrounded by six Dark Knights backing her into a corner.


She knew she was in trouble as she pulled the arrow out as she takes the staff shooting lighting and fire as they come closer. A trumpet sounds as she fell on her knees waiting for them to finishes her off as a group of soldiers from the mountain come behind spreading out, taking down the remaining minions.


Margaret tries to stand as she falls to the ground from exhaustion and the wound. Never hearing the cries of the children and mothers for saving them as they carry her on there shoulder into the mountain of their home… “


“Mother?”


“Yes, child?”


“Why do we leave our home here?”


“Because my dear one, we must.” The mother looks back at the ruined city of Genly. She weeps, knowing that soon there will not be enough food left for her or her child as they were striping what was left of this town.


“Caption Tollen is it.” The mayor asked.


“Yes, sir. The raid did not go as planned sir. I believe we have spies in our town and are among our troops,” Tollen replied.


“How so?” The Mayor asked. Caption places a bag in front of his leader as he uncovers the swords and knives. “And this one came from her,” pointing to Margaret holding the staff and her blade.


“I see.” Anton paced as he looked to his Caption and the woman being cared for. Spies and the darkness have been on his mind a lot more now than ever. It has been over a month since he has heard anything from Derrick or Springfield. The reports have been troubling that town has been destroyed like his and is dying like the other towns around them. Food is in short supply and getting worse by the day.


It seemed they can’t get a foothold. Every time they go out they are attacked as if they are waiting or know they were coming. “I agree Caption.” He looks over his maps and charts. “That is why I want to send a small scouting party out in two directions. I want you to select five men for each group and one Caption who you can trust, send him here.” Anton pointing too the map, “go to Dangin for supplies. Then I want you to take five men and go to Springfield find Derrick or anything that might tell me what happened to them.”


“What about her?” Caption Tollen asks pointing to Margaret


“I think she is not a spy. Considering how much she tried to help, biting off more than she can chew. I’ll post a guard and tend to her wounds not that it will do much good looking at these blades. Sad really I could really use someone like her with such spirit.”


“Yes, sir will leave within the hour.”


Margaret tries to move, but her head feels dizzy as she looked at the woman wiping her head. Margaret grabbed her arm. “I am not dead yet,” she replied.


“Of Course not dear.” The woman smiles place her shoulders back down resting her head on the pillow. “Now just relax.”


“Relax? You must be joking?” Margaret replied.


Margaret gets off the bed as her shoulder throbs in pain she cringes. Anton walks over to introduce himself to her, she does the same. Anton dismisses the woman everyone in the room so they can talk privately. Margaret knowing better cast a ward around them then summons her staff at the same time fills the room with a bright white light then watches it dim. Margaret nods to Anton. “Sorry for being so hasty, but….” as she looks into his eyes “I needed to know if I could trust you,” she said.


Anton feeling bewilder as he looks at Margaret then ask “I know you don’t I?”


Margaret smiled. “If the light is true and your heart is pure you know me and aren’t afraid. For if your heart is not pure and light is dark you fear me and don’t know me and cry out in fear for the master of shadow of darkness, for I can not guide you. For I am the light and the giver of life. The giver of peace to those that need it. So yes Anton you know me for your heart is pure. You are in grave danger is why I came… Foolish yes I know, but fear it could not wait. My heart told me you needed me. For the people cry out to me.” 


Anton looks at the wound on her shoulder she merely shrugs it off. “It’s only scratch Anton you will see, but I do need to get it taken care of. So if you wouldn’t mind taking a little trip with me…” she replied taking his hand.


“Where?” He asked.


“Oh, I did tell you where all at Springfield.”


“You're where?” Anton stands, “you must get back there. Morgan is riding this way with his Prince. So the people that are left can bow at his feet.”


Margaret's eyes drop to the floor. “So you weren’t living in the town below,” She asked.


Anton shakes his head. “We were foraging for food and got caught by his minion when you arrived. We moved in the mountain weeks ago when we lost contact with Springfield and the other towns around us.”


Margaret gritted her teeth feeling stupid for going off half-cocked. Yet he needed her, they all did, she felt it her heart…her heart said It, she knows it did. The wound was irritating her as is slowly drains her strength. She knew what needs to be done, yet it had to be or did it? “Anton I can’t leave you here and I must get this healed soon.”


Anton's face looked surprised when she said it. Yet if it was possible he to would be the one to believe it. “Alright,” ….Anton found some men to help her to her horse as he to climbing on his, leaving a Caption in charge as they close the mountain gate.


Margaret took her staff touching his horse and hers fly like the wind in mere moments they were standing in Springfield. Margaret yelling for Kollie and Rena as Arken takes Anton. Margaret quickly introduces him to them as she slowly starts to faint for the wounds. The poison was spreading quickly through her. Anton wasn’t about to miss this as he followed them back to their tent.


Kollie and Arken lay her on the bed as Rena applies the root mixture then takes a clean white cloth putting it over the wound they place their hands together over the wound like they have done many times before and say the words from the heart. Anton watches as Margaret wound glows then spreads all around her then Kollie removes the cloth the wound is gone. Margaret stands feeling much better thou sheepish. “Now then as I was saying, Anton…”  Anton looking surprised at wound now healed and gone.  “Arken and this camp were headed in your direction in few days."


Anton looks at Margaret as if she lost her mind. “Did you forget something?” He asked.


“What? Oh yes, that…Arken, Tomas we have a small problem. Morgan is heading this way with his prince to look over the lands so the people that are left can bow at his feet. Is that what you said?” Margaret kindly gets up walks away leaving them standing there.


Jaydan, on the other hand, was not as thrilled or tolerant as he tries to take matters into his own hands then realizing it was not his decision or the outcome could be changed as Glen walks over to him. “So Jaydan.” Putting his arm around him, “I am just a little surprised that your still here. When you should be let see now.” Pointing to a map, “over here taking care of this matter.”


Jaydan kicked the dirt glanced back at his two Synerals and now a newcomer who supposed to be as he looks north, but isn’t thanks to Margaret. Glen smiles, “Sometimes things are not what they seem my friend.”


Glen walks with Jaydan awhile showing him a pattern of insight how things are for Anton that Margaret did indeed need to be there at this time. For things to move on or things would not happen in the link like there suppose to be. Jaydan tries to feel better as they both walked back to camp quietly as he says his goodbyes to his wife for a while placed her in Arken hands with a pat on the back as the tears are shed from the Downing’s and the Whitmore’s for they will miss him the most.


Jaydan rubs EJ head one more time whispered. “Remember or deal, when I come back.” EJ grins as he places his arms around Jaydan neck thinking about riding his pony and the picnic at his farm. With that Jaydan was gone in a flash of light. Arken knew for sure it was up to him to lead now as he looked at the group. Sighed seeing Anton talking to Tomas over at the barracks post.


Arken followed the line with his finger of the list of towns on the map. As they talk about hold outs and storage's for food. “Yes, that’s our biggest problem and our immediate problem for now. Morgan knows our towns are destroyed and to the very ground. That’s why he wants us to beg for him to restore them.”  Anton replied.


“Balderdash.” Margaret stepping in. “I refuse to bow down to that over stuff monkey. Just look at this place. It was dead nothing but dried up dirt and twigs burnt driftwood. Now we come back and restore it. We can grow anything we like maybe a season maybe two if we're lucky if we can be left alone long enough.” Anton could not see it or even think it was possible yet he watched himself a wound that would kill from a shadow blade be healed... Could it be true?


Anton pace turned back at his two new friends and Margaret. “Alright, I am willing to the risk it. You don’t have the soldiers in strength as I do, but if we come together we might be able to hold him off until he passes by.” Arken and Tomas agreed sending out orders to strike the camp. 


Anton still worried as he paces then asked, Margaret. “Margaret I have a problem perhaps you can help me since you can see into the hearts of people.” 


“Yes I can,” she replied.


“These people are good people am right into think so?” He asked


Margaret laughed “Yes. A little misguided, but yes. Their hearts all in the right place why?” She asked.


“I have a bad feeling that my people aren’t, that is why we are still alive and Morgan is just toying with us.”


Margaret stops remembering that strange feeling that was calling her. “Wait here,” she said. Margaret pulls Wayne aside casting ward around them “I need time to stall.” She explains what happened during the battle and the feeling she got as they both looked north.


Wayne felt strange too when he looked north, now he knew why looking at Anton they where meant to help him first then he in return would provide shelter from Morgan and the strength they need for the journey. ‘Till the soil and plant the seed,’ the master said.


Wayne nods taking her arm “I want you to take the Whitmore’s and my family with you, something tells me you’ll need them.”


Margaret could see it in his eyes as the fire of truth and light it does guide him for it felt right somehow? Margaret nods taking Anton by the arm. “So do you like to travel light?” She asked


“Why?”


“Oh no reason,” Margaret smiles as they enter their tents. Margaret cast a ward around them with a strong blinding light. “Now then everyone,” Margaret straightens her back “shall we.” Taking everyone hands they all smile in a little group. Robert took EJ hand and Wills as all in one big circle. In a blink they where gone standing except for EJ he was holding on tight to Robert with hands around his neck. The light around them dimmed at the face of the mountain. Margaret laughed. “Now that’s what I call traveling in style Anton,” slapping him hard on the back knocking the wind right out of him.


Anton calmly called for his Caption and waited with no answer as Margaret steps him aside.  Waves her hand as the door opens. She could hear fighting and strange voices inside as they all step inside the mountain it whispers. Then cries out, “she’s here master she's here.” Margaret knew as her eyes glowed and there are more dark souls then she could count. Margaret climbed leaving her group as she placed protection around them sealing them from danger.


Margaret once more in sheer white light as her hair flows red with fire.  Margaret lit up the mountain and every space that darkness could hide. It screamed as she purifies it giving it peace once more as she walks through the corridors of the mountain. Margaret walked back sadden to the group unsealing the protection, almost weeping for the lost souls as she looked into Anton's eyes. “Your people have perished and moved on, very few remain. I am so sorry, I could not save them for their hearts where pure black as I have ever seen.”


Anton hung his head as he climbed the stairs of the mountain looked at the remaining people. It was true as he gazed upon them a few at best twenty families with small children and seven Captions. His Caption he left in charge was not among them. What about the ten he wonders that he sent out?  Yet this is not a time for sadness as he looks at his new friends invites them in. “Come join us,” he introduced them all and shares the news that he has brought.





© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

47 Views
Added on February 21, 2019
Last Updated on January 24, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep