Chapter 28

Chapter 28

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 28


Doc Hatfield stood on the side of the road just with his bag in hand as the bright light left him all alone; Doc a little taken back as he found himself alone in a town of Ternvel just the clothes on his back.  He paused wondering, where his friend Jaydan went, rubbing his chin with a twinkle of his eye and mumbling the words traveling among friends and sighs. “Yes, my friends it looks we all got work to do.”


“Hello, Doc can I give you a lift? I was told you would be here and we're running just a little late.”


“Do I know you son?”  Doc asked as the man laughed climbed down removing his hat as Doc gasp


“Well I’ll be if I not seeing stars, you’d be Mr. Wells,” he replied.


“Yes sir, it's me Doc in the flesh.”


“How on earth did you?” Doc scratching his chin, “never mind son you don't have to answer.” Doc laughed slapping him on the back, “but I am curious considering you're supposed of have ...”


“What Doc? Disappeared,” Mr. Wells replied.


“Yes?”


Mr. Well's laughed again. “Yes, it was true. I did for a time and it was necessary. You see Doc not everything was as it seemed. Back then when I was just simple casework for the boy and had a role to play to keep that boy where he was supposed to be just like you. The Downing's needed guidance for the times like now to be prepared for the things to come so did you or you wouldn't be here now.”  Mr. Wells helped Doc into the small buggy as he opens the door.


“There was one drawback that nobody except for the master (Glen) himself knew about. That is Morgan needed two dummies or conspires for his plan to work. Now as much you don't like the idea, think about it and ask yourself these questions. Why would anyone allow such a mad man to exist at all? Second? Look what you see around you when you look through those new pair of eyes and what do you see. That's right my friend.”


Doc took a good look. “Now you understand why. I was missing because Morgan could not kill me; he needed me to be found. Unlike Mr. Barns, he had come to end. For someone must be able to correct what he has done like you and me. For you, a doctor and I record keeper of time itself. We work together mending the pages of others destiny's starting with this town.”


Doc looks straight into Wells heart and mind; seeing the bright light shining and nods then smile. “Than I suggest we get with it,” looking towards all the houses. “Because I am just one country doctor and have a lot of work to do and we are running late.”


Wells laughed patting Doc on the back picking up the reins. “Welcome Doc, now let's see we can have some fun shall we.”


Wells and Doc traveling along the little houses of Ternvel pulling in font another odd house as they both climbed down. This time Doc knocked on the door as a man and his three sons come to the door with a shotgun drawn, pointing at their chest. “I don't think I know you, mister.” He coughed. “And you sir I know I've seen somewhere,” pointing to Doc.


“Gibe who's' at the door?” A woman voice is heard.


“Not sure Ma strange men in funny clothes.” Gibe answers.


Ma wheezed. “Tell them to go away were not in the mood for company.”


Wells looks at Doc, Doc stands firm standing his ground. “I am a Doctor this is my assent, I was sent to help you.” Doc took the barrel of the gun pointed it at the ground.


“You can't help us, no one can. The town doctor told us there was no hope and died weeks ago himself,” Gibe replied.


“Now listen here, son.” Doc put his hands on his shoulder speaking the word in the man’s foreign tongue. “I am not the town Doc. Trust me when I say I can help. I have come a long way here to do just that. Either you let me in this door or old Betsy here going to find her self a new home, besides what could hurt?”


With a kind smile and twinkle from his eye. Wells' face went white as he loosens his tie watching both their eyes lock on the gun. Gibe lets them in the door watching them closely as Doc opens his bag on the little table. “Alright who's first?” Doc asked.


Gibe points to his wife as tears run down his face. “She got it real bad Doc.” Doc nods then went into the room.


“Howdy ma’am, I'm Doc Hatfield. Everyone just calls me Doc. Now then let's see we can git ya feeling better shall we.” Doc takes listen to her heart and grins. “Well now that's some ticker you got,” looks her in the eyes. She nods seeing him smile. Doc takes a little drop of tonic and puts it on a little teaspoon. “Alright open wide and down the hatch. Waits a few minutes then listen again to her heart then grins. “Yes sir, I think you'll be dancing tonight ma’am. I get your husband of yours to dust off those dance shoes.”


“You mean it?” She asked.


“Yep, I wouldn't lie to you ma’am, you're as fit as a horse.”


Gibe comes in seeing his wife glowing face; the wheezing stopped as he watched her get out of bed. Doc yelled. “Who’s next?” Laughing as Wells sets up a little waiting room in the house. Doc laughing as Well's listed on charts and folders with a little brown briefcase pulling out quill and ink “names please,” smiling at Doc in the next room. Having the time of his life as the door swung open with happy faces.


People entered the home of Gibe's Cone's home on Coven Street. “Yes, sir,” Wells slapping Doc on the back as he closes his bag for the night. “It’s going to be a fantastic adventure and friendship.”


Gibe and his wife Sahe with tears in their eyes put their arms around Doc. “Thanks for coming to my door and my home.” Gibe replied.


Doc whispered a simple phrase. “Just leave your porch light on. For your friends will find you, I too call you my friend,” and waves goodbye.


Wells and Doc headed due east along the road it seems their small buggy and horses leading them as Doc leans back laughing once more as Well's tries to gain control.


“Son,” Doc putting his arms around him, “haven't ya figured it out yet?” Looked down at the ground, Wells eyes shocked seeing the white light skid along the surface of the wheels. “You were never in control,” as they stop at the house where Doc told a woman “your sister waiting for you there.” Watching her come out of the house with a smile and puzzled look seeing Well's instead Jaydan with Doc. Doc grabs his bag. I told ya I'd be here didn't I?” Doc laughed.


“Yes you did and you were right she needs me and she needs you Doc real bad.”


“I know dear, that's why I came.” Doc stops then paused turns, looked her in the eyes, “I hope you packed light dear because it seems you'll both be becoming with me.” Leaves Well's and her standing there.


Doc opened the door of the little cottage no bigger than a shoe box with a small kitchen, two small beds inside and a small living compartment. It was dark and cold and has been for a long time. He could feel the suffering of this place when he looks around it. It cries out in anguish waiting as if time has stood still.


Doc looked down at her sister lying in bed. She was barely moving, it is a bad day compared to most. Her nightmares have been getting worse as he looks into her mind. He can see the heartbreak on her soul. Her eyes glazed over and skin discolored; she doesn't have long before the end comes and her suffering ends in this world and beings suffering in another.


Doc has never come face to face with this kind of wound in his memory. Yet he can see the root and the sadness. Doc opened the bag and begins to find something more as he opens it.


Wonder's where and how? Someone knew he needed them and how he knew what is? As he opens the little vile with dried spice of "tifeg plant" and from a Moon Flower from telex galizn and “roseroot” from a dring wood, mixing these combinations into a small bowl.


Doc took the tonic pouring just a little into a cup of mint tea mixing it with a spoon. “Alright my dear let's see we can make you feel better shall we,” as her sister helps Doc lift her head.


Doc and her sister watched her drink every last drop then sits on the bed and waits for her eyes to clear. A soft warm smile deepens as tears flow down her face seeing her sister, “Tanlly is it you?” She asked as she reached up placing her arms around her sister.


“Yes, it’s me, my dear sister, it is I.” The tears flowed down her checks then turned to Doc, “Thank you. Thank you for returning my sister to me.”


Doc placed the things back into his bag. “Your welcome,” he pats her on the knee. “Now as I was just telling your sister Tanlly that you will be joining me. For some reason, I am short I been told, two nurses. I have my bookkeeper, but I don't have any nurses.


Tanlly and Minaly laughed “strange, we thought we were just dreaming that we needed to be with someone that called himself Doc Hatfield, yet we never met him before.”


Mr. Wells looks over at Doc strangely for a minute Doc smiles then nods “I'm he. Ladies”


Mr. Well's laughed. “Sounds like I might need a bigger buggy.  And a wagon too just in case.”


The two ladies laughed. “Yes, but not until after we fix you both a nice meal because I also had dream that you are going to be very busy Mr. Wells,” slapping him on the back.


“How so?” He asked as someone knocks on the door as Minaly opens the door seeing a line of people and wagons filled with sick people.


“Sorry to bother you, ma’am. We're told we might be able to find a person here by the name Doc Hatfield.” The man at the door holding a small child in his arms.


Doc and everyone laughed except for Mr. Wells as he looks out the window and down the street for miles. Doc gets up from the bed goes to the door and waves. “I am he” Who's next?”


The Ladies laugh placing an apron around them each taking Docs arm as they issued orders for hands and able bodies.  Doc Mr. Wells watched as they set up a nice little hospital in town of Raintarvle just for Doc. With his bookkeeper and nurses going down the sides, Doc thinking of his little life of New Downing, “if they only knew what and how or what he was doing now as a simple country doctor on the run having the time of his life.....”



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

52 Views
Added on February 21, 2019
Last Updated on January 25, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep